• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ToS gets praise from CNN

SantaC

I am 12 hours into ToS, and I must say this game is pretty difficult so far which I of course welcome.

*spoilers*

I got my ass kicked a few times on that water temple boss. Some of her attacks are disgusting, and as soon as I revieve someone in the party someone else goes down. My life bottles :(

Oh well gotta go out into the field and level up some more. I think the Voice acting is ok. I had actually imagine worse. Kratos has the best voice, and I hate Raine. Love the game overall though. This is just what Gamecube need in this time of drought.

belgurdo

Banned
The only hard part of this game is the bosses, and that's only if you know nothing about AI setting or are underlevelled. Try turning off shit spells like Pow Hammer and low-type magic for Genis and then tell Kratos to either fight with you or cast magic from close by for combos

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I thought the game was pretty easy, but I only played on the normal difficulty. I wonder how Maniac is like..

I think the game is pretty easy i'm having no problems at all and i'm 34 hours in. I wish it was a bit more challenging though

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
When fighting bosses you should have Kratos or Raine set to heal. Entering with a full Unision Bar wouldnt hurt either. Also when taking primary magic users into battle turn off all there spells except for the ones that are an elements weakness. In this case fire. Make sure you set them to Long Range or they may also try to join in on meele.

Watch their TP too. if they do run out of TP there gonna try and fight to regain tp and it wont look pretty...

SantaC

Ok thanks. But I still think that the FF games are easier. The battle system in ToS are very fun, but it has a harder learning curve than etc the old turn based system. But as I said, I am only glad that the bosses are hard.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Wario64 said:
I thought the game was pretty easy, but I only played on the normal difficulty. I wonder how Maniac is like..

Think Times 2

IJoel

I've been playing it on normal difficulty and have found it to be adequate. I did, however, spent some time leveling, mainly to get some money.

I'm about 26 hours into it and Lloyd is about level 37 I think.

swoon

i don't think i'm leveling up enough, but i'm not having too bad of time with the bosses (i'm just past the water temple) but i mean yea. once raine runs out of tp it's a mess.

IJoel

swoon said:
i don't think i'm leveling up enough, but i'm not having too bad of time with the bosses (i'm just past the water temple) but i mean yea. once raine runs out of tp it's a mess.

This is something I used to do differently from most. I only had Kratos as both melee and healer, and Raine's brother as the mage. The mage is key as melee isn't effective with all monsters.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I played it on normal, never leveled up, never had a problem

now I'm playing on maniac with 1/2 exp and trying to run through the game to keep a low level and getting my ass handed to me.

The only time I was beat this bad on normal was when I tried to take Genis as solo into the advanced singles colliseum without any sort of decreased spell casting time or unbreakable concentration.

I never used Raine on normal either... I think now its gonna be a requirement to have a dedicated healer.

jarrod

Banned
Namco Hometek really missed out by not giving Symphonia at least a small television ad campaign. The game will probably smash their modest expectations (I'm guessing it'll do around 200-300k here and maybe crawl further over the fall KOTOR style) but this game could've been a really huge seller here with the proper push.

Culex

Banned
Not enough save points? What the heck?

You can save anywhere on the overworld and there's a save point (or more) in every dungeon.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
u_neek said:
There's too few save points`?

Didn't IGN's review complain about this two? I wonder if these reviewers know you can save anytime while on the overworld map. =P

Edit: Bah, beaten by the above post. ^^

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Are you guys being shy with your gels? Raine should never run out of TP. =)

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Obviously these people never played the old 2D RPGs where saves were few and far between. One such member of chaos was Breath of Fire II - curse you dragon god!

These days save features on RPGs seem to be anywhere you go.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
What the... you can save anywhere on the overworld map?

Does the game ever mention this explicitely??

Bah... my only complaint about ToS so far is that the localization team didn't do a very good job at explaining some in game procedures (multiplayer gaming, saving in the field, etc..)

explodet

It's not "in your face" obvious - on the menu there's "System", which will let you Save (if you're on a save point or the overworld), Load, and change your options.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
My final game stats show me saving 360 times in the 30 hours I played. That's an average of 12 saves per hour...

And yeah, I save alot :p

GDGF

Soothsayer
What the heck is going on here anyway. I've never heard of an RPG series coming out of nowhere and 'catching on' like this*

I guess it's just the right title for the right time.

*besides Pokemon, but that's on another level entirely.

jarrod

Banned
Actually Symphonia's word of mouth, media acclaimed, RPG on a starved userbase success reminds me of KOTOR last year...

SantaC

jarrod said:
Namco Hometek really missed out by not giving Symphonia at least a small television ad campaign. The game will probably smash their modest expectations (I'm guessing it'll do around 200-300k here and maybe crawl further over the fall KOTOR style) but this game could've been a really huge seller here with the proper push.

Yeah, why did Namco go through all the hazzle with hollywood voice acting (not saying it's good, but certainly costly for them), and still they didn't advertise it. What are they thinking...

speedpop

Lost Weekend said:
What the heck is going on here anyway. I've never heard of an RPG series coming out of nowhere and 'catching on' like this*

Where's the love for Tales of Phantasia :( ToP is the only reason WHY I am playing through ToS

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
*reads this thread*

And THIS is one of the reasons Tales owns: Hugely customizable battle system. :D :D :D *runs back to the Trent Forest*

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
speedpop said:
Obviously these people never played the old 2D RPGs where saves were few and far between. One such member of chaos was Breath of Fire II - curse you dragon god!

These days save features on RPGs seem to be anywhere you go.

Funny you should mention the Breath of Fire series, 'cause Dragon Quarter had a clever save system. :)

speedpop

It did and I enjoyed it for what it was worth (i.e. it made me panic SEVERAL times). Still, I haven't finished Dragon Quarter at all due to extreme bouts of laziness.

ferricide

jarrod said:
better to be conservative and have wild success based on that than over-expect and get no success. after all, they had SUPER low expectations for eternia and it still failed to meet them in a timely manner. we're lucky we got this; we should be thrilled it's doing so well. namco won't ignore its success, and we can expect that to bear fruit in the future, just as xenosaga's success is indirectly responsible for them to giving tales another go, i think, at least in part. and definitely baten kaitos.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
explodet said:
It's not "in your face" obvious - on the menu there's "System", which will let you Save (if you're on a save point or the overworld), Load, and change your options.
Eh... I've seen that option, but it was never accessible when I accessed the menu. I just assumed it was a weird option for use when on save spots (weird as you can save on a save point by merely pressing A).

I'm wondering if the success of ToS will help out Baten Kaitos?

Top Bottom