• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Totoki: "We create infinite realities"; He wants to promote DEI, combat climate change; Sony's profit growth will be driven by PlayStation (margin of

Woopah

See, I would then ask what anti-women policies did you have in place preventing women from being hired in your factories. Since you can pay them 80% of what you pay a man it's just financial suicide to NOT have an all women labor force!
For example, there were some of our factories where there were no women's bathrooms and so no women. Now we've changed that all factories offer equal facilities.

Obviously the goal is not to pay them less than men.

I would also wonder WHY you specifically want more women in your factories. What skills do they alone possess or what attributes do they alone bring? Small enough to fit inside a tight machine? Light enough to stand atop a flimsy scaffold? Less squeamish about doing something unethical or unpleasant?

I'm being semi-facescious to illustrate how odd it is, objectively, to just say "more women in our factory labor force, yay!" as a goal in and of itself.

There's no gender specific skills we are looking for. We don't want to hire them because they are women. We want their gender to not be a barrier to them coming to work for us.

For instance, instead of only putting our job adverts in men's magazines, now we also put them in women's magazines. That way we don't miss out on talent and we gain access to a wider pool of labour.

It's must easier to avoid labour shortages when you're recruitment efforts aren't only targeting half the population.

Drell

Because people with different backgrounds bring their different life experiences, which believe it or not, is usually a net positive.
If DEI wasn't a thing in Software, you wouldn't have random tech prodigies who have no formal education getting into top jobs because of their experience. Software development isn't like medicine or engineering where formal training is necessary.
Software development requires problem solving, life experience funnily enough contributes fairly effectively to one's ability to solve problems.
Different life experience = different problem solving skills.
Except if you do as he says (hiring based on talent and passion) you're supposed to not care about where people you hire come from, talent should be everything.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Because people with different backgrounds bring their different life experiences, which believe it or not, is usually a net positive.
I'd rather work with someone that knows how to code rather than someone with "life experiences", whatever that means

If DEI wasn't a thing in Software, you wouldn't have random tech prodigies who have no formal education getting into top jobs because of their experience.
Well, they could still get experience first like everyone else, and then once they've proven themselves, get to those top jobs of they really deserve them.

Software development isn't like medicine or engineering where formal training is necessary.
It is necessary! I've worked with people with no training but a short course and it was pain. It requieres a lot of experience for sure, but a good intial training and good understanding of the fundamentals is a must.

Software development requires problem solving, life experience funnily enough contributes fairly effectively to one's ability to solve problems.
Different life experience = different problem solving skills.
Nah. As I said before, good knowledge and experience > whatever experiences you had in your life. Those are fine but if you don't know how to code properly, you are worthless.

Edit: mind you, I've both been part of and conducted recruitment processes and not once we cared neither about diversity nor the candidate's life experiences. We check how good they are at coding and architecture designing, we check how good they are at pair programming and we check if the person is a nice enough dude/dudette to be part of the team, and that's it.

Last edited:

Barakov

Sony Corporate Report 2024

Create Infinite Realities

Muwfmz6.jpeg

Up8TY2a.jpeg

DEI, Climate Change

x50gTB1.jpeg

Operating Income Margin of 10% or More

2OTl0nJ.jpeg

PlayStation Sales and Operating Income

gg14LML.jpeg

Profit Growth Driven by G&NS and I&SS

MSGgQa0.jpeg

Sales by Segment

wGI7ST5.jpeg

Share Buybacks, Payout Ratio

lvXc3f2.jpeg

Dividends

vr1W4gl.jpeg

Senior Executive Remuneration

OiigSwL.jpeg
Jake Gyllenhaal Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

ProtoByte

Weeb Underling
Don't get it twisted, Spiderman didn't sell 15 million units because of DEI.
Of course not.
People just tolerated that because it was only a small portion of a bigger part.
I wouldn't say "small part". His name is literally in the title. It was always a risk that Miles would actually replace Peter. Perhaps it's a smaller part than it is in say the Spider-Verse movies. But it isn't little.

I'd rather work with someone that knows how to code rather than someone with "life experiences", whatever that means
Who says they don't know code? What do you think coding is exactly?

Well, they could still get experience first like everyone else, and then once they've proven themselves, get to those top jobs of they really deserve them.
Which is the point. Not turning your nose up at candidates based on their background, but by their ability. It wasn't such a long time ago that extremely talented people would get turned down for positions just because they didn't "fit in". You can insert whatever group it is that you want.

It is necessary! I've worked with people with no training but a short course and it was pain. It requieres a lot of experience for sure, but a good intial training and good understanding of the fundamentals is a must.
The wizkids who were programming in COBOL on their dad's computer from the age of 14 won't need a training course to learn how to develop. The certificate in this instance is just a check-box activity. This is why FAANG companies often don't mandate degree level education for their developer roles, but will instead look at your github and or ability to solve a coding problem in the interview.

Nah. As I said before, good knowledge and experience > whatever experiences you had in your life. Those are fine but if you don't know how to code properly, you are worthless.
Again, who says that they don't know how to code? Are you just assuming they don't because DEI resulted them in being hired?

Except if you do as he says (hiring based on talent and passion) you're supposed to not care about where people you hire come from, talent should be everything.
You're missing the most obvious thing here. The most talented and passionate people don't all have the same background.
If you only hire the people right in front of you, you are missing out on a whole lot of talent.

-----

Its also funny, if you think Valve don't have DEI, then you have another thing coming.
"But they don't talk about it" Listen, if someone doesn't talk about something, doesn't mean it isn't there.

PandaOk

Neo Member
It wasn't my intention to be vague, so I can give further details if you want (within reason).

Fully agree with the rest of what you said. We've been working to make sure our company is welcoming to LGBT people and they they can be themselves. But there's no measure or target of how many LGBT people work for us.
So many people who decry DEI have literally no understanding of what it actually is. Probably because they’re getting lit up by grifters on social media.

bundylove

Anything i would respond to this would ban me from gaf for eternity.

Therefore all i will say is once japan start this dei crap in their own backyard thats when i would accept it.

But i just came from there and talk about racism holy shit.

Not to mention those japs think they can just treat white women like a vagina on 2 legs, i almost beat up this one fucker who started molesting my wife on the train.

bundylove

Oh man. This absolutely kills my switch to the playstation eco system.

Now I'm stuck between a console on life support, a DEI machine, or the wild west.(PC)

That fucking switch 2 better be amazing.
Or..just saying, or become one of them.
You try on some wig and some makeup, put on a rainbow shirt and call yourself they them was were.

Once you blend in , life will be better forever.

You will the power of ma'am you can throw at anyone that missgenders you and you can extort them for what ever.

shamoomoo

Been months since I logged in the forum, mostly to avoid getting banned back when the MS-Activision deal was going on because I'm a pony 🤷‍♂️

This news is F#cking wild, like they're totally oblivious to the devs and pubs going down in flames thanks to DEI and politics (Californian politics mostly, F#ck You ROTW, you're not diverse enough 🤣)

It's over, seems like I'll have to witness Playstation going down in flames as well 🤦‍♂️

Me in a third world country trying to enjoy gaming like I used to, when I read this news:

giphy.gif
Where's the proof.

shamoomoo

See, I would then ask what anti-women policies did you have in place preventing women from being hired in your factories. Since you can pay them 80% of what you pay a man it's just financial suicide to NOT have an all women labor force!

I would also wonder WHY you specifically want more women in your factories. What skills do they alone possess or what attributes do they alone bring? Small enough to fit inside a tight machine? Light enough to stand atop a flimsy scaffold? Less squeamish about doing something unethical or unpleasant?

I'm being semi-facescious to illustrate how odd it is, objectively, to just say "more women in our factory labor force, yay!" as a goal in and of itself.
Because they are half of the potential label force in most countries and there shouldn't be a restriction on what women can possibly because it isn't "gender appropriate."

The only restriction should be interest.

Last edited:

unlurkified

I forget where I saw it and don’t gave the time now to look for the source, but I heard that MS and a few other big companies are actually looking to get rid of their DEI departments after reviews that show that they’re actually exacerbating the problem.

Great test for the ‘go woke go broke’ crew - if they think they can take on the Sony diehards they’re about to realise they’ve met their match :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Bombolone

Gold Member
You guys are so sheltered you can't even tell what is a genuine commitment and what is corporate speak for "We want to qualify for tax incentives worldwide."
May I ask what are the tax incentives?

Your POV, among others, stood out. I'm actually very curious as I am not familiar with corporations, taxes all that stuff.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
hah! this is why i always said do not game on console becuase of exclusivity, you are going to expect alot of these trashy DEI first party games on playstation.

Last edited:

Varteras

Imagine shooting yourself in the foot, but then being like, "Hang on. No need for a hospital. I got it this time..."

bundylove

Great test for the ‘go woke go broke’ crew - if they think they can take on the Sony diehards they’re about to realise they’ve met their match :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I dont know where i saw it but there was a study about what level of income people have what type of console.

Playstation owners are mostly middle class either libertarian or conservative.

Based on that yeah you will meet your match sony cuz we actually vote with our wallets

Don’t worrry Sony gonna be fine. There die hard will eat it up and m$/xbox is no where to change it they down and out the race. Sony can’t be stop. Get ready for gaas first party game and maybe they connect to your phone

I dont know where i saw it but there was a study about what level of income people have what type of console.

Playstation owners are mostly middle class either libertarian or conservative.

Based on that yeah you will meet your match sony cuz we actually vote with our wallets
I think you’re going to be disappointed, but we’ll see. I’m not at all convinced the “protests” on either side have done a thing. Concord didn’t sell because it was shit, not because of some woke boycott. Hogwarts sold well because it was a good game/popular IP - any hope the ‘other side’ had of bringing it down because of JK Rowling was pie in the sky.

Sony will keep on trucking, and they know it - you see how much they care? Not exactly trying to hide it here…

Last edited:

consoul

Chill the fuck out guys.

Every major corporation's annual report contains DEI and Climate Change content. It doesn't mean they're woke or whatever your problem is. It's almost always just green washing and tokenism. Nothing to see here.

FunkMiller

Very much looking forward to, and going to thoroughly enjoy, modern Sony's catastrophic fall from grace over the next few years.

In fact, the seemingly inevitable implosion of the current bloated, creatively bankrupt AAA gaming industry is going to be highly amusing and enjoyable as a whole.

Rudius

This guy just said the quiet part out loud. "We are actively pushing divisive propaganda in our corporate products at the behest of ESG social impact investment." Sounds like it's time for some of you to sell your PS5 and join us over at Team Gaben. After all, we eventually get the same games you do anyway. I don't personally play them myself, but the option is always there.
I'm moving to the fat man. Can't take much more of this shit.

Drell

You're missing the most obvious thing here. The most talented and passionate people don't all have the same background.
If you only hire the people right in front of you, you are missing out on a whole lot of talent.
What I'm saying is that if you only care about talent and passion, you automatically include people from every background. You're not engaging them because they have this particular background but because this background translates well into something useful for the game. And that's the difference with what happening these days where particular people are hired just because they're part of a certain minority, allowing the company to brag about being inclusive and receiving ESG funds.

FunkMiller

You guys are so sheltered you can't even tell what is a genuine commitment and what is corporate speak for "We want to qualify for tax incentives worldwide."

Taking advantage of tax incentives only becomes profitable if you're making products that are popular with the consumer. You can't claw tax back on profits you haven't made. Absolutely right and correct to lambast Sony for having a strategy moving forward that is already proving to be poisonous in terms of the target audience.

Who says they don't know code? What do you think coding is exactly?

Which is the point. Not turning your nose up at candidates based on their background, but by their ability. It wasn't such a long time ago that extremely talented people would get turned down for positions just because they didn't "fit in". You can insert whatever group it is that you want.

Tell me with a straight face that this team has a lot of different backgrounds.

They even wear the same clothes, like fucking stormtrooper clones.

O2huEjK.jpeg

The hypocrisy in the diversity discourse is nauseating.

DEI this and DEI that……fuck off with your virtue signaling you clown! Unreal that these people are so entrenched in this shite. They must wake up everyday and salute their DEI flags and promise to be more inclusive and diverse than they were the day before. What an utter moron. Sony please get rid of this twat.

Top Bottom