• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump reportedly heading to Mar-a-Lago for third straight weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

commedieu

Banned
wtf am i reading in this thread..

lemme get this straight, you can pay 200k to get access to the President of America in his luxurious club, and hang out with the dude who carries the fucking nuclear code briefcase?

i.. surely THIS is fake news? way too absurd..

That...cant..be true...

Selfies with the nuclear football?

Theonik

I don't give a fuck about him taking vacations because the world is probably safer when he's not around anyway, but how the FUCK is this legal?
The US has very little laws binding the executive branch because they are meant to have systems that if used as were intended, Trump would never be allowed to become president in the first place.

HmDUNRZ.jpg

"This is fine."

le.phat

I don't give a fuck about him taking vacations because the world is probably safer when he's not around anyway, but how the FUCK is this legal?

You guys let a fucking celebrity business man become president. All bets are off at this point. Ofcourse he's going to make a fat stack of his position. Who's gonna stop him ? The people that voted him in? His rich millionaire buddies who are growing fat on his dime ?

FyreWulff

I imagine any spies in the staff right now are like "okay, I need to go get a picture of the paper when he goes to use the bathr-... wait, he's asking me to light it up with my camera on my phone? sweet jesus even I think this is stupid"

Is that Trump statistic accurate? I know the Obama figure is pretty close to that.

If anything, that figure could turn out to be low.

Trump's Mar a Lago trips cost $3 million a pop. If he's going every week (which is all but guaranteed) then that's an easy $12m right there.

He'll probably start vacationing on weekdays pretty soon.

It just struck me that American tax payers could very well be paying half a billion dollars just for the travelling expenses of a "billionaire" family even if Trump is only a one term president. Everything I ever read about American Democracy as a child in middle and high school was a joke. We're one giant joke of a country.

fuck

It just struck me that American tax payers could very well be paying half a billion dollars just for the travelling expenses of a "billionaire" family. Everything I ever read about American Democracy as a child in middle and high school was a joke. We're one giant joke of a country.

fuck

So much money that could be going towards organizations/people that actually need it.

The system is well and truly fucked.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
How do you even spend $3 million on a weekend trip? My poor mind can't comprehend it. :/

Security detail, staffers etc

Its why the role he's in doesn't really allow for constant weekend getaways. Its like he wants the prestige of being President without the work and time restrictions.

vikki

What's the possibility that Mar-A-Lago is less leaky than the Whitehouse? Is it a case where he feels he has more control than he does when he's in DC?

le wanted him to run it like a business, he'd clean out the political elite etc etc well he's cleaned em out and replaced them with former bankers, CEO's and other people with vested interests and is literally operating a 5 day working week for himself
There's your business ran government people! business are their for their own interests at the expense of consumers, they ain't going to help you and thy ain't gonna respect you, you were deluded for thinking otherwise

Jesus... It's like a train with dumpster cars behind it, all of which are on fire, including the train itself, and the rails. It's careening towards a cliff made of garbage and at the bottom is a compost dump... coated in napalm.

Also, I'd love to see diablos991 or shattenjaeger come in and defend this shit.

Dyle

How do you even spend $3 million on a weekend trip? My poor mind can't comprehend it. :/

According to the article, Air Force One is $200,000 per hour of flight, so that's at least a million there. Then you figure that they have to bring a couple dozen secret service agents, which all need housing, transport, and probably paid overtime. Add in paying for additional support from local police forces, lodging/security for diplomats like Abe, etc. It adds up fast. Consider that the NYPD security around Trump Tower is costing around $300,000 a day and it's not hard to see how these figures can get so astronomical.

He will just run up a massive room service tab and bump up the prices, doesn't matter it's the tax payers money that is paying for it all and in the end it all goes back into Trump personal bank account once he's done being president.

mackattk

Trump's Mar a Lago trips cost $3 million a pop. If he's going every week (which is all but guaranteed) then that's an easy $12m right there.

And that is for Trump alone.... His family? That figure shoots up pretty quickly. Trump is by far the most expensive president we have ever had in office.

CassSept

It just struck me that American tax payers could very well be paying half a billion dollars just for the travelling expenses of a "billionaire" family even if Trump is only a one term president. Everything I ever read about American Democracy as a child in middle and high school was a joke. We're one giant joke of a country.

fuck

He is using someone else's money to pay for his private trips.

That makes him SMART!

jstripes

Banned
According to the article, Air Force One is $200,000 per hour of flight, so that's at least a million there. Then you figure that they have to bring a couple dozen secret service agents, which all need housing, transport, and probably paid overtime. Add in paying for additional support from local police forces, lodging/security for diplomats like Abe, etc. It adds up fast. Consider that the NYPD security around Trump Tower is costing around $300,000 a day and it's not hard to see how these figures can get so astronomical.

Paid in full to Mar-a-Lago, I assume.

Future

Obama spent $85 million on vacations. At this rate Trump will surpass him in year one!

And before others ask, I think the Obama's spent too much money on vacations, yes even over 8 years.

So are presidents somehow exempt from vacations or what. Are you supposed to work 24/7?

Zen Aku

I did the math, if he literally spend all of his weekend there for the first year. He'll spend over 144 million.

Compared to Obama 100 million over the course of 8 years.

Even if Trump only spend 1/4 of his weekends there every year for the next 4 years. It still would be higher than Obama.

With Melania+Barron staying in NY (forcing gov agencies to purchase/lease housing there which he owns), along with DC Hotel, and weekend trips to Mar-A-Lago our President is generating income on 3 different fronts.

We're being scammed.

It's just funny that staying in the White House is a cost savings.

But Trump can't even do that because he wants to give his businesses money, and doesn't mind using Tax Payers money. But yet he wants to gut departments (other people's fortunes), but he can't even dial back himself.

Sounds like a CEO alright.

Saya

Did all the secret service members and other staffers that accompany him also needed $200k Mar-a-Lago memberships prior to entering the club? I wouldn't consider it out of the realm of impossibility when it comes to Trump.

Jakoo

So are presidents somehow exempt from vacations or what. Are you supposed to work 24/7?

Did you think this when conservative media constantly harped on the costs of Obama and his family's vacation costs? Was that also unfair?

StoneFox

Trump won't stay in the White House unless it's a competition with someone else.

Invite Hillary over during the weekends to sit in his chair for ten minutes, he'll stay then.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Gotta have his regularly scheduled meeting with Putin's envoy under the guise of taking with his guests.

No. Vacations are once in a while getaways where you relax after working long and hard. For Presidents, they're usually to get away for a while with the family.

Donald Trump has taken 3 "vacations" in 3 weeks. I wouldn't even call them vacations; he's straight up using tax payer money to go back to his fancy resort to conduct matters of national security in a incredibly unsecure location.

No, but I think $10 million a year in tax payer money is excessive, but that's me.

Unlike George W. Bush, who actually vacationed more than Obama, the outgoing president's [Obama] vacations were not to his own property. Bush would frequently travel to his Texas ranch, where security would reportedly sleep in trailers, and thus saved costs for taxpayers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom