• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump reportedly heading to Mar-a-Lago for third straight weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exile20

Obama spent $85 million on vacations. At this rate Trump will surpass him in year one!

And before others ask, I think the Obama's spent too much money on vacations, yes even over 8 years.
Wait, you think he actually spent 85 million dollars on clothes, snow globes and refrigerator magnets?

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Funneling taxpayer money to his businesses, monetising the role of the President, paying for access... please tell me, Americans - how is this even legal? This is corruption, plain as day.

He found a loophole in our laws that no one ever had the desire to actually exploit before and no one in power has the desire to close right now.

It's a disgrace.

TrutaS

I imagine when they leave a gigantic entourage has to be paid overtime to follow them for safety, councelling and all kinds of services, all with their own food, stay and transportation. Hence the money spent.

notaskwid

I don't think the worse here is that he wastes 3M tax dollars in this shit, but that a large sum of it goes directly into his pockets. Not mention using the presidency to promote his own club and double it's membership cost. This is some small country dictator type of shit, how can this fly in any democratic nation?
Unless I'm missing something here.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
What's the possibility that Mar-A-Lago is less leaky than the Whitehouse? Is it a case where he feels he has more control than he does when he's in DC?
Considering he's holding meetings in the middle of the fucking club within sight and earshot of all his patrons?

Not at all.

Exile20

Wouldn't it be easier to bring his family over?
So it is okay to never visit where he grew up?

You expect him to bring family and friends to the usa every year?

Bush could have bought a farm close to the white house and visit there also and save money but it is not the same.

He is from hawaii, do you not expect him to visit family ever?

He visited there every year and that is understandable. That is his home.

Wait, you think he actually spent 85 million dollars on clothes, snow globes and refrigerator magnets?

Bush of the Bush dynasty has sizeable property that could house security while Obama did not.

I for one am shocked, it's almost as if one came from money and the other didn't.

Am I really being attacked for this?

Yes, a reasonable person could infer from my post that I expected him to go 8 years without going to Hawaii.

No he didn't spend $85 million on crap. But he apparently did spend time at some resorts where it's estimated to be $5-10,000 a night and that's before you add the secret service cost in (which I'm sure stayed at other local hotels). Just seeing the number seems high to me. You don't think it seems high, I do, that's the end of it.

The man is disgusting. He has no respect for the position he is in and he routinely behaves in a way that embarrasses the entire nation.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
XNiDjDt.png

How is flying to florida three times $9 million, but Obama spent $10 million a year on travel. That doesn't add up. How in the world did he get places

notaskwid

So it is okay to never visit where he grew up?

You expect him to bring family and friends to the usa every year?

Bush could have bought a farm close to the white house and visit there also and save money but it is not the same.
I didn't say never and I didn't say he should bring family and friends every year.
If he wanted to go and could, fine, but many people who maybe payed for those taxes can't, and leaders should be more considerate to those people, since it's not like he is spending his own salary.

It just struck me that American tax payers could very well be paying half a billion dollars just for the travelling expenses of a "billionaire" family even if Trump is only a one term president. Everything I ever read about American Democracy as a child in middle and high school was a joke. We're one giant joke of a country.

fuck

Honestly, stuff like this makes me lose all hope in this country. As someone who is deeply in love with America in a lot of ways (though we obviously have plenty of faults), I'm crushed.

Exile20

Yes, a reasonable person could infer from my post that I expected him to go 8 years without going to Hawaii.

No he didn't spend $85 million on crap. But he apparently did spend time at some resorts where it's estimated to be $5-10,000 a night and that's before you add the secret service cost in (which I'm sure stayed at other local hotels). Just seeing the number seems high to me. You don't think it seems high, I do, that's the end of it.

He is the President. All presidents got to resorts at some point or another

What exactly do you expect from the President of the United States? For Obamas to live like President of Uruguay. That would be great but not realistic.

We don't have vacation cost of previous presidents to compare.

How is an observation and factual statement an "attack" exactly? I mean you're the one who brought up the comparison to Bush.

A reasonable person would also point out how dumb of a request that is.

You do know why hotel Presidential suites are called that right? What did you expect Obama to travel and stay in a $49 room?

Exile20

I didn't say never and I didn't say he should bring family and friends every year.
If he wanted to go and could, fine, but many people who maybe payed for those taxes can't, and leaders should be more considerate to those people, since it's not like he is spending his own salary.

PresTravelAprilUpdate-Figure2.png

http://www.ntu.org/foundation/detail/presidential-travel-costs-to-taxpayers-april-snapshot

That seems comparable to other presidents and that includes his trips to Hawaii. Clinton and Bush have less reason to make more trips.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I've seen Marvel meetings based entirely around choosing approved artwork for upcoming bus placards that have exponentially tighter security and vetting constraints than that shameful dinner hall discussion about national security.

Trump got a nice ego boost showing off his luxurious dinner at his exclusive club with the PM of Japan though! Money well spent!

Zen Aku

Well if Obama is spending $10 million a year, Trump is on pace to shatter that number by the end of the month.

Log4Girlz

I've seen Marvel meetings based entirely around choosing approved artwork for upcoming bus placards that have exponentially tighter security and vetting constraints than that shameful dinner hall discussion about national security.

Trump got a nice ego boost showing off his luxurious dinner at his exclusive club with the PM of Japan though! Money well spent!

This isn't a movie, it's reality tv, much smaller budget. Can't afford so much security.

y2dvd

But but but, Obamacare is also costing us tax paying dollars. That's where the real anger should be directed! /s

karasu

There is no attack against you in those posts. Don't be so dramatic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom