• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Turkish Referendum |OT| ...With a Thunderous Applause

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Here's a pitch: you should need more than a 50+1% vote in a referendum to completely upend your country's political order.

You wouldn't be saying this if Turkey was a centralized presidential system that had just voted for proportional parliamentarism on the same margin; you'd be cheering on the result. One vote is one vote is one vote; you can't change that just when you don't get your own way.

Here's a pitch: you should need more than a 50+1% vote in a referendum to completely upend your country's political order.

Better to just ban referendums/plebiscites altogether, and just create a better system with the right checks and balances. Referendums are illiberal. They shut down debate and are a "might makes right" tactic often used by dictators to coalesce power.

You wouldn't be saying this if Turkey was a centralized presidential system that had just voted for proportional parliamentarism on the same margin; you'd be cheering on the result. One vote is one vote is one vote; you can't change that just when you don't get your own way.

I would be saying it. Such widespread changes being attach to a single majority vote is insane.

akira28

Don't think Erdocuck himself has his own Twitter a la the furry orange, and it could get you in trouble for all I know, but the phrase could be translated as (with a 'you' at the beginning) "seni kendi anasını siken gerizekalı evlat".

and I think its pretty interesting that Haribo has moved their US candy production from Turkey to the US.

m_dorian

I do not think this will end well for the Turks. Having one person holding all the power almost unchecked is never a healthy sign of democracy.

Bustanen

He really is the antichrist lol.

sYDsaMHl.jpg

mo60

Is his title really "his excellency " or is that a fake edit as well lol

Also yeah. RIP turkey vacation, not gonna visit a country that will introduce death sentence.

It's real.I see his excellency on his wikipedia page.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Oh boy. Politics these days are crazy :/

Or, apparently not if this map is accurate
C9jIoduXgAE76Fj.jpg

Interesting if true is how low UK and US Turkish voted for him.

Maybe its down to recent immigration in mainland Europe? I hear stuff how there's enclaves in Holland and Germany where most of the homes fly a Turkish flag. Turkish in the UK and probably US have spread out.

What helps the US with middle east muslims is the US is roughly the size of mainland Europe but only has 3 million muslim's over a long time of which some are paying more to get there. Europe has about 40 million muslims. I'm pretty sure if the US had 25-35 million muslims and actually helped out proportionally with mass immigration over a short time, they'd have problems like Europe does. Imagine if Europe only had 3 million muslims over half a decade. I'm sure there'd be a lot less trouble and spread out integration.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The world sure is fucking crazy. First the British vote themselves out of the EU, then the Americans make a fascist their president, and now the Turkish vote to become a dictatorship. The fuck is wrong with you people? This is not going to be a good thing for you.

Not too many years ago Turkey was a country I'd gladly visit (and I have). Now? Fuck that. And Turkey can kiss that EU membership they so desire a long sweet goodbye (which was already the case, but this sure doesn't improve their chances).

EDIT: My sympathies to all sane people living there who didn't want this, of course.

Harmen

Yeah, nothing shady to see people.

Fucking hell, what a sad day.

I absolutely hope I am wrong, but I don't see a bright future ahead for Turkey...
Seems to be a pretty accurate map. Results so far for YES camp:

- Belgium: 77%
- The Netherlands: 70%
- France: 65%
- Germany: 63%
- United Kingdom: 21%
- United States: 17%
- Spain: 13%

http://deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuws/buitenland/1.2953612

This completely baffles me. Why do so many people eligible for voting outside of Turkey vote for this guy? You'd think an outside perspective would make some of the more worrying signs more clear.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Well Erdogen is going to adopt the death penalty, which the EU forbids.

So...I guess the EU will adopt the death penalty, because I can't see them stepping up to the plate and blocking Turkey.

What do you mean? There's no fucking chance in hell Turkey is getting in now, especially if they actually get the death penalty going. If they are still let in, we can shut the EU down. But it won't happen.

oti

Banned
Well Erdogen is going to adopt the death penalty, which the EU forbids.

So...I guess the EU will adopt the death penalty, because I can't see them stepping up to the plate and blocking Turkey.
Well now he wants another referendum for the death penalty. More excitement to come.

Yeah, nothing shady to see people.

Fucking hell, what a sad day.

I absolutely hope I am wrong, but I don't see a bright future ahead for Turkey...

This completely baffles me. Why do so many people eligible for voting outside of Turkey vote for this guy? You'd think an outside perspective would make some of the more worrying signs more clear.

The division in support between countries is interesting.

KingBroly

Banned
What do you mean? There's no fucking chance in hell Turkey is getting in now, especially if they actually get the death penalty going. If they are still let in, we can shut the EU down. But it won't happen.

I can't see the EU not adhering to his whims. He has a lot of control over the flow of refugees into Europe. If they deny Turkey into the EU, he opens the floodgates on a matter Europe already can't handle. I'm not saying that wouldn't happen if he was in the EU, either, btw.

I can't see the EU not adhering to his whims. He has a lot of control over the flow of refugees into Europe. If they deny Turkey into the EU, he opens the floodgates on a matter Europe already can't handle. I'm not saying that wouldn't happen if he was in the EU, either, btw.

Erdogan said that if the referendum pass, he will make another one about following or not the process to integrate EU. Turks are not stupids and many understood very well that EU membership would never happens anyways.

In any way, congratulation Turkey, let's hope for the best.

EDIT: it's funny to see people comparing this with Khomeini takeover in 79. Erdogan still calling himself a partisan of secularism and Ataturk. It's very unlikely that the fundamental tenets of the Turkish republic will change anytime soon.

Violet_0

Banned
I don't know why you would voluntarily vote to become a dictatorship but I can't say I'm surprised at all either, some parts of Turkey are fanatical about Erdogan. I was Instanbul last autumn and the signs were already there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom