• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch Plays Pokemon Emerald: Right A Down, Right A Down

• Thread starter Deleted member 231381
  • Start date

_hekk05

Banned
I'm curious, what teams did you guys rock in your own play throughs?
I had:
Blaziken
Walrein
Aggron
Masqurain
Dusclops
Salamence

It'll be interesting to see what this play through winds up with.

I spent a shit load of time on my team

Blaziken
Shiny Gardevoir
Shiny Crobat
Shiny Milotic
Flygon
Metagross

-Horizon-

I'm fine with both, really. I just want them to fix that goddamn FPS. Please GameFreak, optimize your damn game.

Edit: Loading my old Ruby game and seeing that buttery-smooth gameplay makes me so mad when going back to X/Y.

If Game Freak managed to fix D/P with Platinum, I can believe they'll do it again with their next game.

Blaziken -> Phoenix
Mightyena -> Fenrir
Swalot -> Spewsalot
Aggron -> Protectos
Gardevoir -> Lumaril
Azumarill -> Pikablu

I remember this because I brought all those dudes with me up to Gen 5.

Vashetti

Banned
Why would they go backwards? It'll be on an improved X/Y engine just like how HG/SS was on an improved D/P/PT engine.

Because many fans will see it as an insult to the original game. If they overhaul all the sprite work and go with a 3D overworld, it's a drastic change to the game, when it's supposed to be a remake that honours its legacy.

FireRed and LeafGreen mostly had graphics improvements to the sprites, several minor elements were introduced (Gen 2, 3 (?) Pokémon, Pokémon EVs, etc.) but the game itself was mostly unchanged.

Because many fans will see it as an insult to the original game. If they overhaul all the sprite work and go with a 3D overworld, it's a drastic change to the game, when it's supposed to be a remake that honours its legacy.

What? Pokemon is one of the ugliest sprite games out there, the best thing they did was going to 3D. The worst they did was trying to mix and match in Pokemon White.

-Horizon-

FireRed and LeafGreen mostly had graphics improvements to the sprites, several minor elements were introduced (Gen 2, 3 (?) Pokémon, Pokémon EVs, etc.) but the game itself was mostly unchanged.

An insult? Whaaaa? D:

I haven't seen that viewpoint at all on the internet. I mean, yeah, there are probably fans who think that, but they must be in the minority.

Most places I've been on discussing the possible remakes are excited to see it with the improved visuals brought by X/Y.

For me, I can't go back to gen 3/4 sprites.

Vashetti

Banned
What? Pokemon is one of the ugliest sprite games out there, the best thing they did was going to 3D. The worst they did was trying to mix and match in Pokemon White.

Maybe I'm just crazy then, but I thought the sprite worlds in FR/LG, R/S/E and HG/SS were the best the series has ever looked.

I am not a fan of the 3D world, though the 3D battles are great.

I only truly love Gens 1-3 though, so that's probably why I feel this way.

Maybe I'm just crazy then, but I thought the sprite worlds in FR/LG, R/S/E and HG/SS were the best the series has ever looked.

No, you're not, I also love Pokemon sprites. To me 2D sprites are always best, because if done right they age a lot better than 3D, but that is only my opinion. But I know that sprites are probably never coming back, so I am fine with 3D.

Ringman

Banned

PT/HG/SS were especially beautiful. All those vibrant colors.
62.png

The GBA games always had a washed out look, but the 60fps was nice.

FR/LG were the best sprites. They were colorful, at a good perspective and respresented the series well. RSE had an odd perspective and some washed out colors. Also most non-RSE Pokemon just used slightly updated GS back sprites, which is kind of lazy. The 4th gen was a decent balance between 3D and sprites, but 5th looked so weird to me because of how much they tried to change perspective while still using sprites for characters.

I wouldn't mind Hoenn in 3D, but I don't think there are any good set pieces that would be impressive to see in 3D either, like X/Y have a lot of interesting areas only possible in 3D. At this point though, the game basically has to be in 3D.

The game will be in 3D because Gamefreak aren't going to bother developing a new game engine for any RS remakes.

Hoenn is a really creative and beautiful region, though, so I won't be complaining if we get graphical touchups everywhere.

-Horizon-

I wouldn't mind Hoenn in 3D, but I don't think there are any good set pieces that would be impressive to see in 3D either, like X/Y have a lot of interesting areas only possible in 3D. At this point though, the game basically has to be in 3D.

Fortree City, Mt Pyre, Mossdeep City, Evergrande City with the waterfall, and Mt Chimney are just a few locations that will benefit immensely from a 3D perspective.

RedShift

Whaa?

If they do remakes there is absolutely zero chance of them not being 3D like X and Y. Hopefully with an updated (smoother) engine.

Ithil

The question is, will it have a 3D world like X/Y, or will it still be sprite-based?

I can see uproar if they go with the former.

Why would you move backwards in technology, especially when you've already built a new engine? Just improve the X&Y engine.

Only the characters in Gen 4 and 5 (and Gen 2 remakes) were sprites, the worlds were 3D.

Hahaha no way are you serious. I come back after more than 12hrs and we're still in that town and our team is weaker than before. What the hell happened (or didn't happen lol)

edit: Ok we at least got the first badge, thank helix

edit2: wow we really seem to have problems in this gen with storing/withdrawing pokemons on the PC

CCS

Banned
The way the PC works in gen 3 makes it much harder to release, but it also makes it much harder to get pokemon out again.

And the gen 3 games will be mostly unchanged, except in 3d and some other improvements like mega evolutions that have happened since then.

It's going to be in 3d whether you like it or not, and it'll sell millions of copies just like every mainline pokemon game.

It's just a question of whether we get Z first or they go right to gen 3 remakes and then start gen 7. (Sooner they start a new gen, the better, I want more new pokemon!)

how did the gym fight go? Did we beat it with marill. Why doesn't marill have any water attack right now (if the Info from the Google page is correct)

SkyOdin

how did the gym fight go? Did we beat it with marill. Why doesn't marill have any water attack right now (if the Info from the Google page is correct)

Twitch grinded Marill up to level 10 to learn water gun, then immediately used it to solo Roxanne. However in doing so it gained enough exp to level up and learn Rollout, which overwrote Water Gun.

Gsnap

Beat it with Marill. Marill learned Rollout right after beating Roxanne's last pkmn. Replaced water gun with rollout.

Haha, I feel like very very few people would see a shiny 3D remake as any kind of insulting.

In any case, that's what we'll get. Likely with some setpieces remade to take advantage of the 3D, and hopefully with some of the problems with RSE ironed out. So much of the game could be fixed just by changing water to have "patches" where Pokemon appear much like sand does, actually. That and the Phys/Spe split will do wonders for an RSE remake.

Beat it with Marill. Marill learned Rollout right after beating Roxanne's last pkmn. Replaced water gun with rollout.

Twitch grinded Marill up to level 10 to learn water gun, then immediately used it to solo Roxanne. However in doing so it gained enough exp to level up and learn Rollout, which overwrote Water Gun.

Just after we beat the gym Marill lvld up and we overwrote water gun with rollout.

That's what I expect from TPP lol. Well rollout is a pretty move but having a water move would be better

edit: And we sail off!!

RedShift

We're actually in Dewford.

Still need to heal before we go anywhere near the Gym though.

EDIT: Dog takes out an enemy over twice his level, gains two levels at once. Good Doge.

The question is, will it have a 3D world like X/Y, or will it still be sprite-based?

I can see uproar if they go with the former.

And how on earth do you figure that

seriously

Oh.

a 3D overworld isn't that drastic a change because it'd still be the same overworld and it would still play the same. It would just potentially look new and fresh. Which is... uhhhhhh... the point

I really just don't follow. And those 'many fans' you point out, I'd wager maybe 1% of the userbase would have that sort of reaction if that and who would take them seriously

Kinokou

I need a remake so bad now, I always wanted one but now I need it. Ruby is to me what Red is to so many of you, my first adventure and bring it in glorious 3D with some trainer customization, contests, secret bases and full on puzzle galore.

PBalfredo

Our current party is probably our best lineup of available pokemon. We got Zexy and Marill who are both at nice levels. Poochy and Nincada can fight decently and have potential (let's get a Shedinja!). Teleport Abra and Route 1 bug and bird are left in the PC. Let's see how long this party lasts.

edit: Just noticed our current Pooch isn't our highest level of the three, but oh well

I'm curious, what teams did you guys rock in your own play throughs?
I had:
Blaziken
Walrein
Aggron
Masqurain
Dusclops
Salamence

It'll be interesting to see what this play through winds up with.

My Saphirre had

Blaziken
Kyogre
Walrein
Medicham
Absol
Flygon

Note that this was my 2nd game and I was still a child

Top Bottom