• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two Virginia television journalists fatally shot in on-air attack[READ OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Log4Girlz

Conspiracy to repeal the 2nd amendment. These people probably never existed. Hey why don't the GOP ever allow loaded weapons at any major gatherings or during the debates? Why does the NRA routinely gather at venues that do not allow loaded weapons on premises? Hypocrisy much?

Disgusting. We need to ban guns.

Squalor

I am thinking what he meant is that these threads usually always end up in a gun debate, where the event is completely forgotten. it would be nice to actually get to follow whats happening with the case now.
We are following the events.

We're humans. We're complex beings. We can have multiple discussions at one time.

If it turns out to be an angry ex employee, what a fucking cowardly thing to do. Kill two people while thousands, including their loved ones, watch and run like a fucking bitch.

styl3s

I will forever, FOREVER be disgusted by how little things changed after this.

My heart goes out to everyone who knew the victims. What a senseless loss of life. I hope they catch the shooter soon.
I'll try to stay on topic as much as possible but some of the replies in here make me want to pull my hair out because people think people who own guns are idiotic rednecks (not your reply) i am replying here because i, among a lot of other gun owners tried to help fight for better laws before this happened, when this happened and is still happening.

Believe it or not we aren't all gun toting morons i want change as much as anyone else i think it's been completely out of control for too long and sadly what happened today won't change anything and back to the topic at hand it absolutely breaks my heart that it happened. I can't imagine sitting and watching from afar as the love of your life is murdered in cold blood i hope the guy is caught and is thrown into a hole for the rest of his life.

Twitter Mac messed up, sorry. Here's the correct one: https://twitter.com/breakingnews/status/636542772019916800
Absolutely chilling picture. Also, disgruntled employee? Goddammit.

Troy

Banned
If it turns out to be an angry ex employee, what a fucking cowardly thing to do. Kill two people while thousands, including their loved ones, watch and run like a fucking bitch.

Also, why kill two people that have no say in the decisions that got you fired? Just dumb.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
kind of an unfortunate coincidence for that county that the shooting happened during a news story about what a wonderful place it is for tourists.

Squalor

What policy would have prevented this?
The same kinds of policies that work in other developed nations.

It's not necessarily that this particular incident could have been prevented, but it's about the overall culling of these kinds of incidents, of which there seems to be one every couple of weeks in this country.

Bronx-Man

Banned
The same kinds of policies that have been implemented with success in countries like Australia.
The cultures are way too different to do something as drastic as Australia's gun control policies. There's a fringe of America that despises anything the federal goverment does and stopping gun violence would just validate their dipshit conspiracy theories (in their minds, of course).

Foggy

Policies could reduce the alarming rate of these incidents. Policies could curb the massive proliferation of guns that enables a gun culture. If you only look at preventing specific incidents, you can't see the forest of senseless deaths for this case. This attitude, one that I shared at one point, is what makes a lack of change the only response. The indictment of us isn't the amount of gun deaths, it's the complete inability to ATTEMPT to make things better.

This is my wake up call to leave the news industry but it's further than this.

I lost 2 co-workers last year(same company) and I lose another one.

Yes, I knew Allison Parker; we worked at the same station. WCTI 12 she was there before she went to the station she was at.

This is sad snd my prayers go out to the family. Why would you take out one of your co-workers? While I don't know the whole story, Allison wouldn't hurt a fly.

RIP girl.

It really sucks.

I think we're capable to discuss the event and policy at the same time.

I also think it's entirely appropriate.

This is my wake up call to leave the news industry but it's further than this.

I lost 2 co-workers last year(same company) and I lose another one.

Yes, I knew Allison Parker; we worked at the same station. WCTI 12 she was there before she went to the station she was at.

This is sad snd my prayers go out to the family. Why would you take out one of your co-workers? While I don't know the whole story, Allison wouldn't hurt a fly.

RIP girl.

It really sucks.

Wow. Small world.

tanooki27

holy christ that video is shocking stuff. plus they freeze-framed the face of the (uh, alleged) killer just as the camera dropped...

these people were so young. she 24, the camera guy 27.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Hmm. It's odd that a disgruntled employee would go after these two. Did he just happen to come on them? Or maybe he followed the news van to the location, or maybe knew about them being there beforehand.

I don't know. You just figure he would go to the station if he was mad, not go after these two. I wonder what the story behind it is.

Pastry

Banned
Hmm. It's odd that a disgruntled employee would go after these two. Did he just happen to come on them? Or maybe he followed the news van to the location, or maybe knew about them being there beforehand.

I don't know. You just figure he would go to the station if he was mad, not go after these two. I wonder what the story behind it is.

I was thinking about that, he must have followed from the station? Too much of a coincidence otherwise.

KingGondo

Banned
Believe it or not we aren't all gun toting morons i want change as much as anyone else i think it's been completely out of control for too long and sadly what happened today won't change anything.
If you're a responsible gun owner, vote for politicians who want common sense reforms and make sure the lawmakers who represent you know how you feel.

And if you're an NRA member, cancel your membership.

Bronx-Man said:
The cultures are way too different to do something as drastic as Australia's gun control policies. There's a fringe of America that despises anything the federal goverment does and stopping gun violence would just validate their dipshit conspiracy theories (in their minds, of course).
Fuck the fringe. They can go live on Cliven Bundy's ranch for all I care.

The rest of us want to live in a civilized society.

Siegcram

America isn't special. You don't get to handwaive any and all gun legislation without even so much as attempting it.

The only thing more ridiculous than that is justifying it with the appeasement of conspiratorial nutjobs.

Nothing really. Its just getting out of hand and there isn't much policies in place for shootings in the first place.

In fact, on my way to school I counted about 16 places that's vulnerable to shootings. Starting with the very train I hopped on. No metal detectors or luggage examinations. If I really wanted to or anyone for that matter. They could brought a nice piece on the train and ruin lives. With enough ammo and patience they could take out the whole fucking train.

So do you know why so many arms is in the air about this shit? Guns are bad and make people do evil things.

Wow, that video is chilling...

The lady being interviewed survived, right? I bet she's thanking her lucky stars right now.

I couldn't imagine where her thoughts are right now...thankful but to see that happen right in front of you..to the people you were talking with and working with that morning.

Fuck....

Exactly what I was thinking. I'm guessing there is more to the story but bottom line, gunning down these people for any reason is barbaric. I won't be surprised if this ends in some kind of standoff and suicide.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
More sources confirming Troopers are in pursuit of him on I-81, there's likely an order to stations not to chase with choppers

e_i

CNVoWqKUcAEUn_X.jpg

Amazing the way the camera fell perfectly to catch the guy walking along

I think the cameraman did on purpose. He wanted to get a picture of the sick fuck so everybody would see.

styl3s

If you're a responsible gun owner, vote for politicians who want common sense reforms and make sure the lawmakers who represent you know how you feel.

And if you're an NRA member, cancel your membership.

Fuck the fringe. They can go live on Cliven Bundy's ranch for all I care.

The rest of us want to live in a civilized society.
I will never be a NRA member and i do vote and i do actively go out and try to make a difference. Shit needs to change and it needs to change now.

mreddie

I'm gonna assume he lived near there. Sometimes morning shows will say in advance where they're gonna be at, he just traveled near there. But why shoot at those two, we don't know. I would assume news stations have beefed up security going in so maybe he just went someone else.

I couldn't imagine where her thoughts are right now...thankful but to see that happen right in front of you..to the people you were talking with and working with that morning.

Fuck....

Imagine some of the other field reporters dealing with survivor's guilt after this. Usually that term is reserved for when people are let go from their jobs. However, I can't imagine what others at the studio are feeling that it could have been them out there that morning.

e_i

A cop once told me that if someone would attack you, you would get no warning. No chance to protect yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom