• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two Virginia television journalists fatally shot in on-air attack[READ OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyd0nia

Banned
Something drove him to do this.

It doesn't matter, this kind of mental break is a very obvious loss of all humanity. Anyone who can take a gun to another human being is lost.

I was hoping the police would put him down, but seeing as he's shown he wants to die, I hope he lives a long and unhappy life. Even if it's only long enough to be given an improperly balanced lethal cocktail of chemicals. With any luck he'll have lost his motor function, be wearing nappies the rest of his life and be a prisoner inside his own body. Mal-adjusted, murderous, criminal scum.

Hex

Banned
People cry mental illness way too fucking often as a catch all.
Everyone who does a bad thing suffers from mental illness apparently to some people.
I am sure that might make you sleep well at night, instead of the fact that people are just capable of terrible choices and terrible things at the drop of a hat.
But this was a direct choice, and I hope he lives enough to face what he has done.

Maybe I shouldn't have watched that video. Damn.

You think?

WDBJ reporting the third victim who lived is now out of surgery.

Everyone who does a bad thing suffers from mental illness apparently to some people.
I am sure that might make you sleep well at night, instead of the fact that people are just capable of terrible choices and terrible things at the drop of a hat.
But this was a direct choice, and I hope he lives enough to face what he has done

No one suggesting mental illness may have played a part is absolving him of this crime.

Mental health professionals would not absolve him of this crime.

I don't think you have a clear understanding of this.

Whilst this is tragic, why is a domestic shooting front-page news even on overseas outlets? Is it just the morbid novelty that we got to see it "live"?

It's a significant story, wouldn't you say?

why are they still using "alleged" in this story? He posted a video. He didn't allegedly do it, he fucking did it.

Your username is oddly fitting. They do this as to not affect public judgement.

How disturbing is the video? Is it quite graphic?

It's not any more graphic than what was shown on TV, but it is disturbing to see the same scene from the perspective of the gunman. I'd advise people to think twice before watching it.

rjinaz

The General Manager just said on CNN the shooter and the reporter didn't even know eachother.

She was there for 1 year but Vester got fired 2 years ago.

The General Manager just said on CNN the shooter and the reporter didn't even know eachother.

Wait, then what are all these pictures circulating about of all 3 of them together, hanging about in pre-interviews and cafes?

Daft_Cat

Well, if he survives, he will be brought to justice.

To expand on my initial "fuck off" (I was deeply angry and upset because I'd just seen that disturbing video, and then you apparently decided it would be appropriate to mock people for being upset about it): yes, for some people - like yourself, evidently - seeing these videos helps them to be able to empathize with the problem of gun violence on a more instinctive level. But there is a point where it can create a form of second-hand trauma that is entirely unnecessary. Furthermore, it is also grossly disrespectful to the victims themselves, and their families, for their murders to be aired as a form of shock value.

I apologize. I shouldn't have picked on you or worded my thoughts in such an inflammatory way. I'm usually pretty good about keeping a cool head, but reading that post back... it was sort of mean.

My intent was just to highlight that as horrifying as watching that video is, it's only a sliver of what the people involved felt. That's still an important sliver, though ... for some, that might be enough to personalize the issue and generate a degree of empathy on an emotional rather than purely rational level. An image is worth a thousand words, I suppose.

You're right though -- for others, it might be traumatic past the point of any usefulness.

Plasmid

That video.. my god they didn't notice him at all. When he puts his gun up and then waits for them to focus back on. Christ..

optimiss

It doesn't matter, this kind of mental break is a very obvious loss of all humanity. Anyone who can take a gun to another human being is lost.

I agree but I think we are in the minority considering how many people are fine with killing in times of war. Sickens me.

Zoe

I got the impression from his Twitter remarks that he knew her before she was hired.

Wait, then what are all these pictures circulating about of all 3 of them together, hanging about in pre-interviews and cafes?

Not him.

e_i

That Breitbart article is insane.

CNWLXfpWoAA0Jpi.png

I'm surprised they put "suspected" in the headline.

Herbs

Banned

Maybe he just saw an extra opportunity to hurt the news station. His prime victim seemed to be the camera man especially after watching the video where he immediately pointed his gun at him and their past history.

You believe Coworkers at your last job conspired to fire you, and you believe it's on the grounds of them being racist. you then write a 23 page essay and plot to kill them then actually carry it out and you think this guy is alright in the head?

I'm not sure I understand the dispute here among the not mentally ill, mentally ill crowds.

Even is he was mentally ill (which by the way I'm inclined to believe) that doesn't mean he doesn't know right from wrong and have the ability to act on that knowledge.

Being mentally ill doesn't always excuse you from doing terrible things. There are plenty of cases where someone who was mentally ill could very well have avoided causing harm to others but chose not to do so, and cases where the ability to differentiate between right and wrong was not in their control.

If we take that to be true than what does the distinction matter in this case?

I'm being serious with this question in case I wasn't clear. It seems people are getting heated as to whether or not he was mentally ill and I'm curious as to why

antonz

Seems to be a disgruntled ex-employee that was let go because of racial reasons.

Nah we don't know why he was let go. The Tallahassee story is 15 years old. His whole she made racist comments and they still hired her thing seems off. Though he is apparently being labeled an employee who was hard to work with

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
saw the video
3ee46c37f4c225772e6ebb80f9737bba19be2f1aaa12ee358c3f08fe736e344f.jpg

if you are curious, even then don't watch. I am going for a long walk, see my girlfriend later hold her tight and spoil her today. Fuck the world.

MikeDown

Banned
But this was a direct choice, and I hope he lives enough to face what he has done.
Don't think anyone here is saying that.

The Associated Press ‏@AP 27s28 seconds ago
BREAKING: State Police: Suspect in TV shooting ran off road, crashed, was suffering from gunshot wound

Shot himself while driving the vehicle...endangering others even further.

optimiss

Well, you're wrong. I never said he was absolved.

He's at fault.

I never said you did. I just mean in general.

I think people tend to blame insanity because the idea that someone with a sound mind could do something heinous is way more terrifying.

Squalor

Not that he was necessarily telling the truth, but when he tweeted that Alison made racist comments, I definitely thought he meant about him.

Maybe she made racist comments prior to her being hired. Then after the murderer was fired, they hired her, and it made him angry.

Fucking hell, this guy is a monster.

Sanjuro

saw the video
3ee46c37f4c225772e6ebb80f9737bba19be2f1aaa12ee358c3f08fe736e344f.jpg

if you are curious, even then don't watch. I am going for a long walk, see my girlfriend later hold her tight and spoil her today. Fuck the world.

I thought it was quite tame. The barrier seems to be what cable television will show, and what you can find on here. Over the years with various news stories both new and old there seems to be an astounding amount of content that doesn't translate to the other medium.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom