• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two Virginia television journalists fatally shot in on-air attack[READ OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I can't imagine being the anchor they cut to immediately after that happens.

Hopefully, if the camera was still rolling, the studio has extra footage of the suspect they can share with the police.

SimleuqiR

Ill be honest, I'm so far removed from American politics and the intricacies of the second amendment; but what would it really take before the American people stood up and demanded action be taken against the policies behind gun ownership?

If innocent children (Sandy Hook) getting shot in their classrooms didn't make us re-think our gun laws, nothing... I mean nothing will.

• Charlotte Bacon, 6
• Daniel Barden, 7
• Olivia Engel, 6
• Josephine Gay, 7
• Dylan Hockley, 6
• Madeleine Hsu, 6
• Catherine Hubbard, 6
• Chase Kowalski, 7
• Jesse Lewis, 6
• Ana Marquez-Greene, 6
• James Mattioli, 6
• Grace Mcdonnell, 7
• Emilie Parker, 6
• Jack Pinto, 6
• Noah Pozner, 6
• Caroline Previdi, 6
• Jessica Rekos, 6
• Avielle Richman, 6
• Benjamin Wheeler, 6
• Allison Wyatt, 6

Jonm1010

Banned
Ill be honest, I'm so far removed from American politics and the intricacies of the second amendment; but what would it really take before the American people stood up and demanded action be taken against the policies behind gun ownership?
A massacre of school children didn't work so who knows.

We just rack up the tragedies, add it to the huge list and move on. Columbine, the DC sniper, Sandy Hook.... The list is long and the apathy just as long.

King_Moc

Banned
Thats almost unbelievable. Terrible thing to happen, and for the whole world to see it too.

It's also terrible to see people already say it's not the time to debate gun laws. Everyone in favour of guns is essentially saying that incidents like this are entirely fine as a price so long as they can keep their guns.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

Well people aren't forced to own guns in America. So you have a lot of people that would feel less secure and don't think they should be punished for the actions of others.

Personally, I don't get it. But I'm sure someone can explain their rationale better than I ever could.

What would it take? Honestly I don't even know at this point. If Sandy Hook didn't even spark a substantive debate, I doubt anything will. If something terrible happens, we have people who will do mental gymnastics and tell themselves that the event didn't actually happen and was falsely planned by the government. At that point, these tragedies could happen daily and nothing would change.

I wonder what the deal behind this even is. Seems oddly timed for something targeted, but same goes for an opportunistic crime...I mean this was at 6am. And you see the cameras, so either way the person didn't care about being seen.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
While the killer's identity is unknown, this was undoubtedly planned to take place during the live shot for maximum shock effect.

Horrifyingly, making the killer's face/identity widely known will give him infamy, and inspire copycats from other loser, degenerate, psycho types seeking notoriety.

It is inevitable to happen, but the killer's face shouldn't be plastered over newspapers and news screens, only inspiring dregs to copycat this.

Jonm1010

Banned
Or you can make a discussion topic on that very topic. I know is a radical idea
Nah, here is a fine place. Forces those half measured people who want to claim sympathy but have Zero fucking interest in actually doing anything meaningful to possibly prevent some of these in the future to have to face that decision.

It appears from the footage that the gunman was walking through the scene slowly and deliberately. Really strikes me as much too cool and calculated to be a chance bum-rush. Chilling.

RIP to the victims, utterly senseless.

He had to have prior knowledge of those two being there doing a piece at 7 AM. How many people are going to a shopping center at 7 AM?

Herbs

Banned
If innocent children (Sandy Hook) getting shot in their classrooms didn't make us re-think our gun laws, nothing... I mean nothing will.

Maybe if the whole thing was captured on video so people couldn't hide from it. That might change things. Like imagine if Sandy Hook was captured in ultra high detail, no holds barred mass slaughter of children it makes my stomach turn just thinking of the details). I feel like that would sway public opinion.

Bronx-Man

Banned
I honestly can't tell you the answer to this. When Sandy Hook happened, instead of changing things up in a major way, there were swarms of Americans that just went "keeping guns is more important than children being killed".

So yeah, I don't know what it would take. Maybe we're just doomed to nonstop violence and death for decades to come.

It makes me so sad that this happened and that we keep letting this kind of thing happen in our country without doing anything about it. Maybe actually seeing a video of it will convince people to make a change, but probably not.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
WHSVnews ‏@WHSVnews 5m5 minutes ago
The suspect in the #WDBJ shooting is being chased north on I-81

Patrick S.

Banned
Two people are dead. The killer will be caught and rot in jail. Police will kill more innocent black guys because the shooter in this video is black. All this sucks.

KingGondo

Banned
Maybe if the whole thing was captured on video so people couldn't hide from it. That might change things. Like imagine if Sandy Hook was captured in ultra high detail, no holds barred mass slaughter of children it makes my stomach turn just thinking of the details). I feel like that would sway public opinion.
Public opinion is already in favor of increased gun control. The problem is that the NRA is incredibly powerful and many gun owners are single-issue voters, so they carry an outsized influence.

PlayALLtheGames said:
This guy is going to fry.
So fucking what?

Yrael

Holy shit...

King_Moc said:
It's also terrible to see people already say it's not the time to debate gun laws. Everyone in favour of guns is essentially saying that incidents like this are entirely fine as a price so long as they can keep their guns.

Yep. :(

Troy

Banned
Heaven forbid anyone talk about gun policy in a thread about two people who were just shot to death.

So like others said, create a thread and then the focus in that thread can be 100 percent what you want it to be about. There's no reason to be so disrespectful.

LQX

Wow! Terrible and sad. I have to say though; with how terrible our society can be I have always wondered why this has never happened before. And the gun man looks very old so I wonder if this was maybe more calculated than being a random thrill kill.

BFIB

No, it wouldn't. Hate to say it, but the lobbyists would find a way to sway that discussion. If it was ever going to happen, it should have been after Columbine, when the parties at least could reach across the table.

Didn't see this thread so I'm copying my post from the other one.

CNVr-BWUcAA51co.jpg:large

Taken from @wfaalauren

Edit:

"WDBJ photographer Adam Ward's fiancé Melissa Ott was in the control room -- she saw the shooting happen live." - @Brianstelter

Ugh.

Hoo-doo

Banned

And who would watch that? I certainly wouldn't even think about watching that.

Then again, i'm in the safe and cozy Netherlands so I really don't have a reference for senseless gun violence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom