• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TYRANNY |OT| Sometimes, Evil Wins [Tiers For Fears]

Despite my best efforts, I seem to have accidentally sided with the Disfavored, lol. Gonna have to do another playthrough so I can get my Rebel fix, but at least I'm not with that fucker the Voices. That bit where he
played Ashe's son's voice to him was some
genuinely fucked up shit, yo. Knowing that I've committed to the Disfavored is going to alter my play a little; now I can go for a sort of "we're all living under Kyros, now let's make the best of it" attitude.

Also, I'm really struggling on Hard; I can generally clear most fights, but that -5 to all skills from getting Wounded + no way to remove wounds without resting (that I can find) means I'm burning a LOT of hours and camping supplies.

Labadal

Despite my best efforts, I seem to have accidentally sided with the Disfavored, lol. Gonna have to do another playthrough so I can get my Rebel fix, but at least I'm not with that fucker the Voices. That bit where he
played Ashe's son's voice to him was some
genuinely fucked up shit, yo. Knowing that I've committed to the Disfavored is going to alter my play a little; now I can go for a sort of "we're all living under Kyros, now let's make the best of it" attitude.

Also, I'm really struggling on Hard; I can generally clear most fights, but that -5 to all skills from getting Wounded + no way to remove wounds without resting (that I can find) means I'm burning a LOT of hours and camping supplies.
Resting doesn't consume hours, I think.

Uriah

BTW, if anybody is getting poor performance and has GSYNC, try disabling it in the NVIDIA control panel. FPS jumped from 20 to 120.

Nikodemos

Although be warned: Shadowrun Returns is a legitimately bad game and the story/writing are by far the worst of the series; it's Dragonfall and Hong Kong that make Shadowrun shine. So if you aren't feeling Returns (it's really hard to, honestly), just skip it and move on to the good stuff.
Returns is not an outright bad game. It's just definitely inferior in every single way to the other two (although I'm not happy about decking becoming a real-time isometric stealth minigame in Hong Kong). I still consider it a good starting point for the series, disjointed narrative and all.

Nzyme32

I agree, it's difficult to play that after Divinity. But it may have it own merits after a time.

I find this quite interesting since I've been in the opposite situation, playing all these RTwP games and really enjoying them a lot. When I get round to more turn based stuff I'll definitely comment on how I find it and if it changes how I enjoy RTwP

Unai

I think Torment: Tides of Numenera will be much closer to PoE and Tyranny, as far as the general feeling of the game, than Divinity OS in general does, so that will make for a better comparison of turn-based vs RTwP.

Almighty

So far I am liking it. I am playing my character as a hard ass who only cares about what he thinks the will of Kyros is and fuck anyone who goes against that.

I have a feeling by the end if the game I will end up with a knife in the back.

It's like dealing with children blaarrghhhhhhhhhhhhh....
Returns is not an outright bad game. It's just definitely inferior in every single way to the other two (although I'm not happy about decking becoming a real-time isometric stealth minigame in Hong Kong). I still consider it a good starting point for the series, disjointed narrative and all.

Mechanically, it's a really rough idea of a game. It feels like a prototype next to Dragonfall, for instance (pre-EE, even). There's some fun in it, I just wanted to be clear on the difference between the three games.

As far as introducing someone to the Shadowrun setting, Returns does a fine job. That's my best praise for it.

Mark L

Just got to the end of the first chapter, great big smile on my face. I'm excited to play more. Decreasing party size to 4 is perfect, much much easier to control battles and sort inventory, etc.

This game requires a lot of reading to be enjoyed- there is a rich backstory here, and I am loving every bit of it. Clearly greatly inspired by Glen Cook's Black Company. Just note that the reading required is more like Torment than Icewind Dale- this is absolutely not a dungeon romp.

Zyae

Im sure this has been asked and answered a few times but:

I played pillars for about 25-30 hours and really enjoyed it but always felt kind of lost with the combat. This seems a bit more streamlined but still nuanced. Whats the feeling on this?

Vamphuntr

Magic is really OP early on. Finished the first chapter I guess?
Got the first spire
. I'm liking it more than pillars so far. Lore and characters are much better. Not a fan of the small maps or reduced party though.

anthraxus

Banned
For me RtwP in the IE games was tolerable (haven't played Pillars or this yet) but I'll def take a decent TB system over it all day. Feedback & control for me. All the simultaneous actions when dealing with a party just gets too chaotic and confusing a lot of times. Just Try fighting 2 beholders in different areas when the party is split up.

I did have to set the autopause function to go off at the end of each characters round in the IE games, or else I don't know when they finish their last attack..and when to give the next command exactly.

A big problem in those games was also the pathfinding and not being able to form a wall/defensive lines to protect magic users and such. (even if you had characters seemingly shoulder to shoulder, they's still sneak through a lot of times)

Have Pillars/Tyranny improved in these aspects ?

Obsidian should def go turn based in any of their upcoming cRPGs though.

F!ReW!Re

Many people seems to have issue with low-end system. I have a i5 and the loading time are un-normally long.

My computer is getting on there in age and can not run many modern games unless I put them at a shit resolution.
That said, it had no issues running PoE on good graphics settings so I think I'm just slightly past the barometer you are looking for if you need to know if a computer that could barely run PoE can run this.

Thanks, I think I can handle long load times. just hope I can just have a steady 30fps.
I wasn't able to run Total War: Warhammer and XCOM2 on settings that made it playable.

Thanks, I think I can handle long load times. just hope I can just have a steady 30fps.
I wasn't able to run Total War: Warhammer and XCOM2 on settings that made it playable.

I really don't understand why a game that technically outdated run so bad.
It should be a 60fps on any laptop. I am sorry if i am wrong, i just don't get it.

The world in Tyranny is so much more interesting than the Pillars universe. Or at least the lore of the world is conveyed in a much more engaging manner.

The context sensitive background lore stuff is such a fantastic innovation that it really needs to be used in every game of this type going forward. Helps get rid of so much exposition in dialogue.

[
I really don't understand why a game that technically outdated run so bad.
It should be a 60fps on any laptop. I am sorry if i am wrong, i just don't get it.

It runs on Unity which is a notorious pig of an engine.

The context sensitive background lore stuff is such a fantastic innovation that it really needs to be used in every game of this type going forward. Helps get rid of so much exposition in dialogue.

[

It runs on Unity which is a notorious pig of an engine.

The context sensitive background lore is not in Pillars of Eternity ? Damn it's so good i wonder why nobody used it before.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Never understood why people have issues with RTwP when robust auto-pausing settings are a thing.

I vastly prefer realtime and it bums me out that the tide seems to be turning against it. It feels so much less like you're just trading hits in a boring way, and so much less like it's an entire game of clicking menus.

Just started this. What history did you guys choose? I went with Lawbreaker, seems like a fitting beginning

Never understood why people have issues with RTwP when robust auto-pausing settings are a thing.

I vastly prefer realtime and it bums me out that the tide seems to be turning against it. It feels so much less like you're just trading hits in a boring way, and so much less like it's an entire game of clicking menus.
Agreed

Turn-based is awesome, but RTwP lets you micro-manage to a greater degree and essentially still feels turn-based except you choose when the turn intervals occurs. At least for me, I always pause a lot in fights

Kieli

Nice to hear that, on par with Witcher III side-quests ?

I've never played Witcher 3, only Witcher 1 and first 2 chapters of Witcher 2.

I'd say PoE quests are much better than Witcher 1 quests. And Witcher 1 was pretty interesting in how it approached quests for its time (the collectathons notwithstanding).

For me RtwP in the IE games was tolerable (haven't played Pillars or this yet) but I'll def take a decent TB system over it all day. Feedback & control for me. All the simultaneous actions when dealing with a party just gets too chaotic and confusing a lot of times. Just Try fighting 2 beholders in different areas when the party is split up.

I did have to set the autopause function to go off at the end of each characters round in the IE games, or else I don't know when they finish their last attack..and when to give the next command exactly.

A big problem in those games was also the pathfinding and not being able to form a wall/defensive lines to protect magic users and such. (even if you had characters seemingly shoulder to shoulder, they's still sneak through a lot of times)

Have Pillars/Tyranny improved in these aspects ?

Pathfinding remains a problem. In early Pillars it was actually pretty simple because engagements were so sticky that easily-frustrated players would put tanks up front, ranged characters behind them, and almost never have to worry about in-combat pathing. Later versions of the game opened up the combat (which was a good thing!) at the price of exposing some bad pathfinding.

Simultaneous actions shouldn't be much of an issue in Tyranny. You've got a max of four characters.

Pillars, I'll admit, could get a little chaotic. Particularly with some of the exotic combat situations they added in the expansions. But until you bumped up to Hard Mode I don't think it was tough to follow the action. You could pretty easily give your orders, watch either the battle itself or the character portraits, and assign new orders as characters came free.

Feedback is an interesting problem. I personally feel much more connected with specific actions and the flow of combat when I see the dice rolls (not literally rolling dice but the <<attack roll 18 + accuracy 30 = 38 against defense 40 = miss>>). It's easy enough to review that information in IE games and in Pillars, but it's hard to track it for each event in combat. I think there is room for experimentation on the subject.

Just started this. What history did you guys choose? I went with Lawbreaker, seems like a fitting beginnings

I went soldier. I designed my character as a steely, no-nonsense woman. I was initially frustrated that the character creator did not include options for an older character, but I've settled for playing my character as "old beyond her years," and so far dialogue choices have fully supported my vision.

Auto pausing doesn't turn a RTWP game into a turn based one.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Turn-based is awesome, but RTwP lets you micro-manage to a greater degree and essentially still feels turn-based except you choose when the turn intervals occurs. At least for me, I always pause a lot in fights
In theory, RTWP allows a level of granularity and fine control that a turn-based game would be hard-pressed to match.

In practice, I've never seen a single RPG that's ever required or really taken advantage of that level of control. Pillars of Eternity was going to be the great saviour that would demonstrate the possibilities of RTWP, and despite a talented designer, lots of time, and reams of feedback, it's combat felt boring and shallow compared to most good TB systems, including contemporaries like Divinity: Original Sin and even the Shadowruns.

xealo

Resting doesn't consume hours, I think.

It does, but the timer is more lenient than it might appear at first with some competent play.

I was at the boss fight inside the enemy keep with 4 days left on PoTD on first try with having done the side quests I could find.

Dicktatorship

Is this game really about 20 hours long? I've just about finished the 2nd act at 18 hours and I'm wondering if there are like 10 acts or is the 3rd act super fucking long.

Pillars of Eternity was going to be the great saviour that would demonstrate the possibilities of RTWP, and despite a talented designer, lots of time, and reams of feedback, it's combat felt boring and shallow compared to most good TB systems, including contemporaries like Divinity: Original Sin and even the Shadowruns.

Divinity OS sure- the combat in that game is magnificent. But Shadowrun? I find it to be the shallowest tactical squad combat imaginable. Just makes me want to play XCOM. I play Shadowrun in spite of the combat instead of for it.

I've never played Witcher 3, only Witcher 1 and first 2 chapters of Witcher 2.

I'd say PoE quests are much better than Witcher 1 quests. And Witcher 1 was pretty interesting in how it approached quests for its time (the collectathons notwithstanding).

All right !!

Thanks, i love Witcher 1.

I wonder if they're planning to do an iPad port. Some of the UI choices like the big icons for interactive stuff in the environment (climb the rope, etc.) seems suited for touchscreen

jonjonaug

Does anyone know how the heck I'm supposed to solve the puzzles to open up the two Spires in the rock valley? I can only find one rubbing for each of them.

Sanctuary

This honestly sounds great. Makes me think of Planescape Torment which is definitely one of my favorite games.

You guys are funny. It was really hard for me to finish Planescape. I mean, I enjoy reading as much as the next person (hell, I read every single non copy of the books in BG1 & BG2), but that was entirely optional, world building stuff. Planescape was almost entirely just that, and it didn't help that the combat was utter trash for the kind of game it was. It had a great story, but when I want to read a book, I read a book, not read a game.

After just accepting Tyranny wasn't what I was hoping it would be (despite already assuming it would be just an interactive book anyway based on the prerelease coverage), it's simply been "Ok". I much prefer games closer to BG2 and Divinity: OS in terms of combat vs. exposition. Divinity at times could get overly verbose too, and not in a good way.

Anyway, has anyone run into any conversation issues; specifically where a skill check is involved, and you greatly exceed the requirement, but it's still locked out in red?

Ya its very well done. I was talking about it in my review. The changes on the higher diff are VERY tangible.

Higher than the "Hard" setting? Because so far it's felt like the "Normal" of most other games and fairly easy. I've had people dip very low before, but no one has ever died yet, and the same tactics pretty much win every encounter. That's not even factoring in the overpowered combo (once per rest) abilities, or even the once per encounter abilities.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
There are 2 major problems with the combat in this game:

1. No resource management: Every ability is on a cooldown, so you don't have to really put any thought into ability usage. You just click the buttons when they light up.

2. No interesting status effects: Everything just has nebulous -x% debuff to some stat usually accompanied by some damage. You aren't crowd controlling, you aren't shutting mages down, you aren't really doing anything to control the battlefield nor is anything being done to you.

It's pretty dull and every fight so far (about 11 hours in) has been exactly the same.

I love everything else about the game, but the combat is a big misfire, it's much much worse then Pillars, which was already worse then the IE games it was emulating, which were worse then the Gold Box games.

mbpm1

There are 2 major problems with the combat in this game:

1. No resource management: Every ability is on a cooldown, so you don't have to really put any thought into ability usage. You just click the buttons when they light up.

2. No interesting status effects: Everything just has nebulous -x% debuff to some stat usually accompanied by some damage. You aren't crowd controlling, you aren't shutting mages down, you aren't really doing anything to control the battlefield nor is anything being done to you.

It's pretty dull and every fight so far (about 11 hours in) has been exactly the same.

I love everything else about the game, but the combat is a big misfire, it's much much worse then Pillars, which was already worse then the IE games it was emulating, which were worse then the Gold Box games.

Yeah, it feels really vague what I'm doing at any one moment.

Okay I'm blinding them but I don't see the returns of this as apparently as I like. Oh, I hit him with bleeding, how much quicker am I really killing them? Hard to say.

Top Bottom