• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft and Disney gave previewers a trip to Disneyland to promote Star Wats: Outlaws

JaksGhost

It's a huge Disney IP so I wouldn't except anything less from them when it comes to promoting their projects especially one tied to a billion dollar franchise. They did something similar with Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora when they had people come in to Santa Monica to preview the game in a big press junket enviornment. I wouldn't doubt them receiving a free Disney day as well but damn you don't say the quiet part out loud.

Last edited:

Nydius

but lets not pretend that getting $150 tickets to disney is going to buy you a good review.

It isn't just the tickets, it's the access. No other industry is this intertwined with the very people they're supposed to be critical of. Imagine if movie reviewers could only review movies at the actual studios, or at studio-only sponsored events, and could only publish their critiques in outlets where the predominant form of revenue comes from the studios advertising.

That's what the games industry does. "Journalists" and "influencers" are inexplicably tied at the hip and the threat of losing future access is enough to ensure a more favorable review.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It isn't just the tickets, it's the access. No other industry is this intertwined with the very people they're supposed to be critical of. Imagine if movie reviewers could only review movies at the actual studios, or at studio-only sponsored events, and could only publish their critiques in outlets where the predominant form of revenue comes from the studios advertising.

That's what the games industry does. "Journalists" and "influencers" are inexplicably tied at the hip and the threat of losing future access is enough to ensure a more favorable review.
sorry but reviewers get their own screenings before the movie comes out. some get them at the premiere so they get all this access to celebrities and all the perks you'd get at expensive hollywood premieres.

every single big movie gives free screenings to influencers on tiktok, twitter, instagram and youtube BEFORE the critics ever see the movie. so those are always the first impressions that come out. those are almost always positive and then the critics trash the movie regardless of whether or not they were screened the movie by the studios.

again, if the reviewers were handing out 10s to every game even the bad ones then id be inclined to believe you. but as you can see from these past few months alone, reviewers dont give a fuck.

Sleepwalker

I don't see what's the big deal. These things happen all the time and they are not trying to hide it.

If you depend on youtubers to make up your mind and form opinions then that's on you.

I know its cool to hate on shit but come on.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real

This happens in the movie industry as well to a lesser. Mainly with big tentpole movies. Reviewers/bloggers will be invited on set, get to watch some filming, and talk with the cast/director/etc.

This is also not new in video games. A lot of these preview events happen all the time. And reviewers could always wait until the game is out and review it then, but everyone wants to be first.

ZehDon

Thas part is completely fine. The rest is not (provided its actually true)

IDK about disneys or ubisofts ethic rules, but i wasnt allowed to accept or offer gifts of any kind when handling RFPs and deciding which suppliers/collaborators to pick for procuring goods/services in any company ive been at. I guess only serious companies (not entertainment) have such policies, not every bribe is illegal, such as this case, if it was theyd need to conform, but its still unethical.
Never said it was fine, I just explained why it's not Ubisoft cheaping out on bribes - they're skirting the edges of what is considered a bribe. Entertainment journalism was ethically compromised decades ago - gaming being no different - and we're just seeing the companies follow the clout. No point paying an online publication for a nice review when no one listens to them - better to buy "word of mouth" from influencers who people might actually give a shit about.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
This happens in the movie industry as well to a lesser. Mainly with big tentpole movies. Reviewers/bloggers will be invited on set, get to watch some filming, and talk with the cast/director/etc.

This is also not new in video games. A lot of these preview events happen all the time. And reviewers could always wait until the game is out and review it then, but everyone wants to be first.
Yep. After they bummed out all critics (and viewers) with Batman Vs Superman, WB invited a bunch of media on set when they were shooting a fun/funny scene for Justice League. They watched the actors shoot the scene, talked to the screenwriter who confirmed the more lighter tone of the movie, and reported back exactly what WB wanted them to report.

if anything, hollywood is far more incestous with its media. everyone knows golden globes are a scam. they literally nominate movies just to get the biggest stars on their show for bigger ratings and just to hang out with them. oscars are even worse because producers and studios wine and dine actual academy voters to get them to vote for their movie/actor. there are entire campaigns that are launched before the oscars to buy votes. Harvey Weinstein was so well loved by all the actors because he did it best. he singlehandedly won a bunch of actresses oscars. not to mention best picture oscars for several of his movies that had no business being nominated let alone winning the oscar.

Ozzie666

They are afraid.

I also watched something on you tube claiming a review was altered and editted by an external company (Not Ubi or Disney itself) before it could be posted. I can't recall which streamer. But if true, it's pretty scummy to remove any negative commentary etc. This isn't journalism or reviewing anymore, it's controlled PR, which defeats the legitmacy.

Fess

if we want to cover games accurately.
Is that even possible today?

Every game gets patched after release and can even get updated for half a year or more.

Reviews are never updated after release and is usually based on review code which is earlier than day 1 code.

A 30fps game can get a 60fps mode, whole gameplay mechanics can be changed, microtransactions can be added, and bugs can be removed and jank can be fixed, and it’s never shown in the reviews we read and use to compare games years after release.

What does a 70 or 80 review score actually say?

FeralEcho

Star-Wars-Outlaws-1-1.png

On topic of “PSA: I was not paid by Ubisoft or anyone else to make this video. I was given the opportunity to record content however it was fully my own choice to make and share content based on it. The only money I make from this content is from YouTube views. There is no ‘shilling’ or hidden agenda’s involved.”

Louise-Julie.png

Source
Ah well now I'm convinced guys,if she said so it must be true, it's not like people lie for clout and shilling in today's age.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I cannot believe so many are jumping at the defence of Access Based Journalism… I will see you the next time you complain about lobbying in politics, reviewers and nasty pre-order culture, or anything else we routinely sweep under the carpet… :/…

PeteBull

Gold Member
Digital Foundry complained they werent given that opportunity so expect honest/brutal tech review from them once game launches :p

Hudo

I'd fucking go. Just so that I can later write in the review

"[...]. All in all, I had quite a lot more fun at Disneyland than I had with Star Wars: Outlaws. 6.9/10."

hemo memo

Gold Member
I'd fucking go. Just so that I can later write in the review

"[...]. All in all, I had quite a lot more fun at Disneyland than I had with Star Wars: Outlaws. 6.9/10."
“The lines in Disney land were long but you know what else is long? My patience to finish this game 6/10”

It’s also quite obvious with all the streamers getting paid to play a certain game and not saying anything bad about it while doing so.

After 3 or 4 hours the time is up. “Ok that was fun, now let’s go back to Warzone”.

I wonder how much they earn for these ‘ads’. Must be worthwhile.

TVexperto

Whats the consensus of the game from the recent previews? I read a headline that said it's RDR2 in the Starwars universe, sounded like nonsense.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I was not paid by Ubisoft or anyone else, instead I was given a vacation package worth thousands of dollars
....and will never be given another opportunity like this if I don't produce suitably positive content about the game

anthony2690

People really want to find any excuse to hate this game it would seem.

Press/preview events are not a new thing.

Next you will complain that people got sent press kits and other goodies.

🥲

PeteBull

Gold Member
Ranton made very thoughtful vid on all the free early copies for reviews advantage(lets not even go to free disney trip)

was over 4years ago and today just as relevant as before.

CSJ

People really want to find any excuse to hate this game it would seem.

Press/preview events are not a new thing.

Next you will complain that people got sent press kits and other goodies.

🥲
It's this behaviour that's making it more of a problem.

"It's not new".
"It's always been like this".

No shit. I'm planning to get the game (I think? Maybve.. after real reviews and not people cosplaying having a real opinion) but we have to keep shaming people who say they don't receive anything in return for a review.
If they're honest, 'aight you get a pass but I'm still not believe a thing they say.

anthony2690

It's this behaviour that's making it more of a problem.

"It's not new".
"It's always been like this".

No shit. I'm planning to get the game (I think? Maybve.. after real reviews and not people cosplaying having a real opinion) but we have to keep shaming people who say they don't receive anything in return for a review.
If they're honest, 'aight you get a pass but I'm still not believe a thing they say.
The thing is, if they give a really shitty game a good review, all they do is harm their own credibility and damage their own platform, I'd like to think people know it isn't worth risking your livelihood for that.

That being said I tend to just buy anything I like the look of and try it for myself, majority of the time it doesn't let me down, only a couple rare exceptions over the years like atlus fallen, soulstice etc

PeteBull

Gold Member
The thing is, if they give a really shitty game a good review, all they do is harm their own credibility and damage their own platform, I'd like to think people know it isn't worth risking your livelihood for that.

That being said I tend to just buy anything I like the look of and try it for myself, majority of the time it doesn't let me down, only a couple rare exceptions over the years like atlus fallen, soulstice etc
Nopes, many games get good scores while being pretty terrible
very ez compare metacritic reviews (and top scoring reviews) vs users score
we all know suicide squad didnt deserve even 5/10 score, 3-4 at max yet game got 11 green scored reviews so 75 or higher.

Another example:
same thing here, barely over 3/10 userscore but 61meta, with 19(!) green reviews of 75 or higher
Edit:
3rd example https://www.metacritic.com/game/senuas-saga-hellblade-ii/ 11(!) reviews with perfect 100 score, then another 29 that scoredd 90-98 out of 100
Edge one of the very few who gave it proper 4/10 score.

And last but not least, fricken redfall https://www.metacritic.com/game/redfall/
56metascore/ 3,5 userscore but lets see amount of green(75 or higher) reviewscores- 7 of those
Some time passed from launch of those games so we can properly judge those games and can easily check what sites inflate scores of even below avg games.

Last edited:

Hypereides

Gold Member
That should make more folks more sceptical about the incoming reviews. They've opened themselves up to scrutiny. I expect some reviewers will be dealing out 9s and 10s even when the gameplay format hasn't shown itself to be exactly revolutionary or ground breaking.

Last edited:

Reaseru

No different than a russian propagandist.

If you are paid to promote something that you should have a unbiased evaluation, you're a propagandist.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Nopes, many games get good scores while being pretty terrible
very ez compare metacritic reviews (and top scoring reviews) vs users score
we all know suicide squad didnt deserve even 5/10 score, 3-4 at max yet game got 11 green scored reviews so 75 or higher.

Another example:
same thing here, barely over 3/10 userscore but 61meta, with 19(!) green reviews of 75 or higher
Edit:
3rd example https://www.metacritic.com/game/senuas-saga-hellblade-ii/ 11(!) reviews with perfect 100 score, then another 29 that scoredd 90-98 out of 100
Edge one of the very few who gave it proper 4/10 score.

This seems more opinion based than factual though, even though that is what reviews are just someone's opinions.

Suicide squad, had a fun well acted story, and the traversal is genuinely great fun, unfortunately the sheer lack of mission & enemy variety absolutely ruins the game, I say this as someone who actually purchased and played the game at full price, I'd probably give the game a 6, it seemed polished enough and it wasn't awful, I haven't returned for any post launch content though.

Hellblade 2 I can see the appeal of you're into that kinda game, this applies to those that enjoy walking or work simulation titles, I personally don't enjoy them, but for some reason people like/love this stuff, I wouldn't personally rate it highly.

But again it is all opinion based, I'm sure there is some titles I think are absolutely incredible that you probably think are/look doodoo and vice versa :)

PeteBull

Gold Member
But again it is all opinion based, I'm sure there is some titles I think are absolutely incredible that you probably think are/look doodoo and vice versa :)
We are not professional journos who are literally paid to put out objective review, we are allowed to be fanatical, its our hobby, and we spend our hard earned money on those games, instead of getting free early review copies.
I have 0 problem with users who score game 10/10 even if for me its 3/10 game =]

Top Bottom