• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft and Disney gave previewers a trip to Disneyland to promote Star Wats: Outlaws

Saber

Gamers upset for finding out how adults actually do business out in the real world? colour me shocked.

Fair play to all involved for getting a free trip out to promote a game to their fanbase it's not like they all went homeless human hunting ffs, we all get excited in the office when a supplier brings in buns lol

Its just hypocrital. How can we tell its fair judgement with reviews if they keep winning free stuff from the same company? No need of some deep understanding neither a smartass move to get that.

bighugeguns

Gamers upset for finding out how adults actually do business out in the real world? colour me shocked.

Fair play to all involved for getting a free trip out to promote a game to their fanbase it's not like they all went homeless human hunting ffs, we all get excited in the office when a supplier brings in buns lol
hah, take a kickback from any supplier in an enterprise environment and see what happens to you.

"Gamers" where the fuck do you think you are posting right now?

nemiroff

Gold Member
It's difficult to understand why these "journalists" think this is ok by any stretch of the imagination.

At my work we have an anti-corruption code saying we can't accept gifts/trips/dinners with a value of over 30-40 dollars...

Last edited:
Maybe you`re the one who should learn how "adults" do business because in most big companies that would be a massive breach of anti bribery guidelines that could very well get you fired.
For some reason however this seems to be generally ok among journalists, even when they "forget" to mention it in the resulting articles later.....

Last edited:

Hudo

This has some "written by a 15-year-old" kinda vibes, ngl.

Anyone who buys a game on a Youtuber's recommendation is a moron. They're obviously being paid off. Besides, you can literally check out the game for yourself on Youtube within a day of it coming out.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
There should be a list of journalists and influences that accepted these gifts, so we could weed them out, when reviews come out.

They’re all in one convenient site.

Metacritic-logo.jpg

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I mean, even if you're not "shilling", it's hard to think judgement isn't impaired when you're given a free trip to Disneyland and a fun time, lol.

Yeah. But this is also how it used to be done back in the day.

Alebrije

Marketing no knows shame, justice, values. it has a Target , on this case is to sell the most of copies once the Game lunch.

So nothing new here...they Bet those You tubers or influencers followers are stupid enought yo Buy the Game just because they Say is great or fun.

knguyen

Ubisoft's shady practice aside, just watch some video previews on YouTube, icons everywhere on the screen, the enemy AI is as dumb as a rock, they run straight in front of your gun, saying the same thing over and over again. Ubisoft is gonna Ubisoft, wait a few months and get this at a heavily discounted price

proandrad

Yes I’m sure a trip to Disneyland won’t affect their preview of the game at all. Game journalism is an absolute joke.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Jesus lads, who stole the jam outa yer donuts!? I was merely stating Massive Shocker Game Publishers promote games with freebies and who in the fuck has ever accused IGN, Game Informer, etc of being proper journalists!? They're nothing but paid for advertiser's

Weirdly I get shit on SHIT on when saying I won't go to events if I can't pay. Or that I don't accept money for previews.
"We need to get our bag" Is what I was told last time and shouted down.
I will say if I ask to pay it becomes hard for a company as they do have time specific stuff they want you to go to that they may feel odd asking you to attend if they don't control your trip.

That being said. I feel like, usually, there is a subconscious thing that occurs with paid events. But I assume, like everything in life, it doesn't impact everyone. I just don't know how it wouldn't as thats a purely emotion and excitement thing. Even if, in the rare instance, it caused someone to be MORE negative, if a games preview wasn't great. That is also an effect and a tangible one that doesn't read very well if we want to cover games accurately.
Yet you are afraid of the mob you gave great impression with title implies it's actually bad why is that,

BlackTron

You know when people do independent reviews, receive no compensation from or are affiliated with the product they review in any way, they like to make this known as the relevant info it is for a reason...

Karak

Yet you are afraid of the mob you gave great impression with title implies it's actually bad why is that,
First time I have ever heard of a ...Disney mob lol. This isn't a gradeschool, though mickey mouse ear wearing kids coming to beat someone up does sound hilarious.
It is a discussion of review coverage impacted by material items not a mob hit.
It is YouTube not cancer, getting afraid of viewers, you guys, other guys, other gals, is something a child would do.

And what title? Which title? If you mean the Youtube title of Star Wars? Which one I have renamed it 11 times since it posted to see what catches SEO.

Last edited:
First time I have ever heard of a ...Disney mob lol. This isn't a gradeschool, though mickey mouse ear wearing kids coming to beat someone up does sound hilarious.
It is a discussion of review coverage impacted by material items not a mob hit.
It is YouTube not cancer, getting afraid of viewers, you guys, other guys, other gals, is something a child would do.

And what title? Which title? If you mean the Youtube title of Star Wars? Which one I have renamed it 11 times since it posted to see what catches SEO.
You seems change the title for that video

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
You know when people do independent reviews, receive no compensation from or are affiliated with the product they review in any way, they like to make this known as the relevant info it is for a reason...
Any of the ones I watch on YouTube always always state beforehand that this is a preview and that they where flown out to some big do or got a preview code sent to them etc and that these are their honest opinions as for whether their opinions have been clouded, well who honestly cares? I'm not dropping £70 on a game based on a few reactions from "influencers" I make sure I know enough and seen enough to form my own opinion.

IGN, Gamespot etc are brain fodder for the masses, anyone with half a wit would take any review from them lot with a very large pinch of salt

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Game reviewers get all kinds of stuff. They sell some of it on eBay.
Totally. My buddy who ran a game site years back after dinner just uploading stuff sporadically got a box of swag from Rockstar. It included GTA4 and various other GTA merch. All he did was email them asking if they got any promo stuff. He got sent the box of swag with zero follow up rules or any PR dude coaxing him to say this or that. It was literally just a free box of stuff no strings attached.

Krathoon

Gold Member
Totally. My buddy who ran a game site years back after dinner just uploading stuff sporadically got a box of swag from Rockstar. It included GTA4 and various other GTA merch. All he did was email them asking if they got any promo stuff. He got sent the box of swag with zero follow up rules or any PR dude coaxing him to say this or that. It was literally just a free box of stuff no strings attached.
Yeah. It kind of annoys me that they get so much stuff for free. The same with influencers.

Top Bottom