• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft director blames gamers, says they've been exposed as 'non-decent humans'

SHA

Just keep actively bashing your entire customer base, see how that plays out in the long run. Absolutely fucking idiots in this industry.

"Decent human beings"

Bro has never sat around a family coffee table or anything. Like shit-talk and gossip and all that is new to humanity and that serious.
From my experience people who usually behave like that who do the heavy lifting just like Microsoft, look at Nintendo, they lift weights like Conan O'brien, that's a crime to the gaming industry, they should lift above their weight.

RedC

he%27s-out-of-the-line-but-he%27s-right-he%27s-out-of-the-line.gif

So it's only the "vocal minority" who are the problem and who are actively wishing for certain products to fail... But somehow the silent majority isn't buying that stuff either and yet it totally can't be an issue with the products.
Boy oh boy.... Who could ever find holes in such an argument......

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
When these companies are typically run like adult daycare centers, how can they be?

We need to go back to how it started, and honestly that's what it looks like will happen with all these AAA gaming businesses tripping over their own feet.

At some point in time, tech companies really amped up the big money, coddling and freebies. I dont the impression IBM did this in the 70s or 80s. I dont think a tech company like IBM now even does stuff like that.

But whether it's a giant corporation like MS, or some new gaming studio who got funded to make a game over 5 years, the giant money and cozy office life became a thing. Quite amazing when you think of it, but when you got bottomless pockets and supposedly the quest to attract employees needs big perks then I guess thats what happens.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Decent human beings flock to respectable jobs like Monetization Director.
Hall of Fame tactics done by monetization employees:

1. E-store promotions pops up right away when you boot up the game

2. Pressing the Exit button to back to the home screen actually has a 5% chance of misdirecting to the e-store

3. Virtual currency. Buy in batches of 1,000 pts. Each mtx costs 700 pts

GHG

But whether it's a giant corporation like MS, or some new gaming studio who got funded to make a game over 5 years, the giant money and cozy office life became a thing. Quite amazing when you think of it, but when you got bottomless pockets and supposedly the quest to attract employees needs big perks then I guess thats what happens.

I just wonder why nobody stops to think "do we actually need all these people".

It's essentially a vicious cycle, directors and management not pulling their weight, so they request headcount to pick up the slack. That new headcount gets approved, they enter the workplace and see their managers being unmotivated and bumming about so they simply bum about too.

This isn't a phenomenon exclusive to the gaming industry though mind you, I witnessed exactly the same thing while contracting for a fortune 500 construction company a few years ago. Insane levels of incompetence, top to bottom.

laynelane

I enjoy the part where he says he "was hurt and ashamed to be a part of this community". No, Mr. Monetization Director, you're not part of this community. Your job was and is to prey on it and your efforts are one of the many reasons why people are sick and tired of Ubisoft.

Bonus points for his conclusion that all the criticism stems from people being mad because games don't "please" them. Given the way things have steadily spiraled downward, I suspect this company is just full of out of touch fools like him.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Priority 1: monetize the shit out of the game
Priority 2: funnel people into your proprietary launcher/ecosystem
Priority 3: get the stamp of approval from the DEI department
Priority 4: foster a culture of toxic positivity where nobody criticizes anything
…..
Priority 99: find out what the people who buy and play your games actually want

Ubisoft: “OMG you horrible people, why aren’t you buying our games anymore? Don’t you know that we might lose our jobs if you stop buying??”

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Who do you cater to? Serious question.
Way more common than you think

Have said this before but when Ybarra left Xbox Phil told him they would leave his seat empty to remind them who Xbox worked for, the gamers since Ybarra was a true hardcore gamer

Who else is Xbox working for if not the gamer?

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
This is the final stage before the AAA oligarchy starts collapsing. Once everyone stops buying their games they will call everyone who doesn't buy their game a Nazi.

We're finally getting close to the end folks and I am excited! New golden era will follow!

Party Celebrate GIF by MLB

Be careful what you wish for. I want Ubisoft to change course and stop making games for a non existing "modern" audience but cater to their traditional audience once again. I don't want them to go under completely, because we just don't have too many western games publishers left who are still making big budget single player games.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I just wonder why nobody stops to think "do we actually need all these people".

It's essentially a vicious cycle, directors and management not pulling their weight, so they request headcount to pick up the slack. That new headcount gets approved, they enter the workplace and see their managers being unmotivated and bumming about so they simply bum about too.

This isn't a phenomenon exclusive to the gaming industry though mind you, I witnessed exactly the same thing while contracting for a fortune 500 construction company a few years ago. Insane levels of incompetence, top to bottom.
I cant speak for construction industry, but I remember some articles years back about tech company employee count. I have no idea if it's true or guesswork, but the writer said big tech companies hire tons of employees who arent needed simply for ego. It shows other peer companies they are bigger and more important if they got more people working there. And if they got more employees, it means they got the money to float it, and are more important in the tech ecosystem.

Maybe it's true. Maybe totally made up. In consumer goods, it's all about ongoing steady growth business, making money, paying some dividends and being lean in factory and office. Heck, the company was probably founded 100 years ago. Nobody on Earth purposely hires like crazy for employee bravado numbers. But with how wacky tech companies are, I wouldnt be surprised if it's true for some.

Last edited:

BigBeauford

"We recognize we have failed to deliver on expectations our customers, who have been with us since the beginning, have of the experiences we create. Our monetization models have failed to provide added value, and our products were not tailored to our core audiences' preferences. We promise to do better."

Said none of these clowns ever.

So if hes seeing the same comments from linkedin from people within the gaming industry then surely it's not isolated to a bunch of incels online.

I always find it weird how delusional these people really are when given feedback from multiple different sources. if it was just X then fine, disregard it, but when its everywhere from gaf to reddit and youtube AND fucking linkedin then surely you should be paying attention.

there is no way the focus groups didnt tell them this in advance. Unless the focus groups are not picked from the gaming community which is almost exclusively male. at which point, focus groups are no longer representative of the gaming audience and probably should be fixed as well.
Pretty much this. These people are detached from reality. Someone should post him this.

You_Are_Not_a_Clown._You_Are_The_Entire_Circus.jpg

Soulja

Why don't they just apologise for allowing weirdos to have input with their games, confirm the woke bregrade will no longer be involved and just move on? The majority have spoken and the majority do not want woke bs in their games.

Last edited:

LMJ

I am loving the push against these activists as of late, the tides are changing and it's wonderful to see, a shame so many may fall to achieve it, but it's a wakeup call for these chuckleheads.

We are customers not consumers and you need to cater to US not the opposite, if you make products we the customer base enjoy we will purchase them, if not then we will vote via our wallet and see you disappear. We are your future fucko so just do your job and make games, not agendas!

jason alexander wallet GIF

If we don't like the heat we will get out of the kitchen, not request the staff be fired and you completely altar your menu to appease us, I'm not a fan of sports games, so you won't see a penny from me, but there IS an audience there, but if tomorrow you bork FIFA and Madden by making them a life sim instead then those fans will say
Ice Cube Friday GIF

We are customers not consumers no matter how much you wish otherwise, piss us off and we WILL go elsewhere and sorry Stevy, but your kind pleas to people whom I'm sure you call biggots and haters behind closed doors wont change that, it's a harsh lesson almost EVERY company is learning right now!

WE WILL NOT BLINDLY CONSUME ANYMORE!

Toy Story GIF

StueyDuck

When these companies are typically run like adult daycare centers, how can they be?

We need to go back to how it started, and honestly that's what it looks like will happen with all these AAA gaming businesses tripping over their own feet.

I know the google one was legit (cause she got let go didn't she).

but surely the majority of these "day in life" of an ethot 20 something driving a tesla and doing no work is fake?

I just don't see any C-suite exec seeing that vid and not firing her ass the next day. Especially in the US where you can do that.

Last edited:

GHG

I cant speak for construction industry, but I remember some articles years back about tech company employee count. I have no idea if it's true or guesswork, but the writer said big tech companies hire tons of employees who arent needed simply for ego. It shows other peer companies they are bigger and more important if they got more people working there. And if they got more employees, it means they got the money to float it, and are more important in the tech ecosystem.

Maybe it's true. Maybe totally made up. In consumer goods, it's all about ongoing steady growth business, making money, paying some dividends and being lean in factory and office. Heck, the company was probably founded 100 years ago. Nobody on Earth purposely hires like crazy for employee bravado numbers. But with how wacky tech companies are, I wouldnt be surprised if it's true for some.

It happens in construction (particularly at construction contractors) as well since number of employees is typically used as pitching/sales collateral in order to win work. It makes sense to an extent because you need to be able to quickly mobilise people in the event that you win a project, but the level of excess bloat that I witnessed was obscene.

I just don't see any C-suite exec seeing that vid and not firing her ass the next day. Especially in the US where you can do that.

When entire reporting lines are slacking off and covering for one another, nobody is getting fired.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
These guys are nuts, I swear. This kind of talk is normalized now, but we are talking about projects of huge scale bombing. Slapfighting on Twitter about it looks straight up incompetent. You're in the middle of a disaster, dude. This is not the time.
You can tell these people have been coddled and treated like fragile children their entire lives. This must be their first contact with the cold, hard reality of customer expectations.

PeteBull

"We recognize we have failed to deliver on expectations our customers, who have been with us since the beginning, have of the experiences we create. Our monetization models have failed to provide added value, and our products were not tailored to our core audiences' preferences. We promise to do better."

Said none of these clowns ever.
That train of thought would actually require some human decency, top heads at ubi tho:
tenor.gif

RagnarokIV

Battlebus imprisoning me \m/ >.< \m/
Give us Splinter Cell, you coward

No, not while these fucken poofs are in charge.

It would be some stupid 'dismantle' of the NSA and a politically charged story how Sam Fisher and the USA were the bad guys all along!!11!

*some retard replies "Splinter Cell is all about politics!"

Yes, but Sam is just a cog in the machine. You get a mission and a job. And he does it. He's not there to debate. He's a professional. He does the job, and so do we as the player.

RagnarokIV

Battlebus imprisoning me \m/ >.< \m/

Xbox started as a bunch of rougues and renegade nerds fighting the MS system.

What the FUCK is it now? Jesus Christ.

Go_Ly_Dow

One thing for sure is that this year in particular I've seen the anti DEI movement in games really take off and break into a wider stream of people.

Friends who weren't talking about it before are talking about it. Some YouTuber's who cover it are receiving massive attention such as Asmon. They wrack up more views than the main gaming press does previewing these games.

I guess the overwhelming combination of shoving it down peoples throats across games, TV, advertising and Cinema so aggresively is backfiring. In some cases spectacularly.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It happens in construction (particularly at construction contractors) as well since number of employees is typically used as pitching/sales collateral in order to win work. It makes sense to an extent because you need to be able to quickly mobilise people in the event that you win a project, but the level of excess bloat that I witnessed was obscene.

When entire reporting lines are slacking off and covering for one another, nobody is getting fired.
Consumer goods IMO has always been on the lean side. Ive never worked at a place with too many people. The companies in the industry seem to prefer staying lean even if that means sometimes there's product shortages, which can lead to issues like retailers getting pissed long enough to delist the product, along with getting penalized fees due to not fulfilling PO's completely. It can add up to lots of money, but holistically the big companies are pretty conservative and will take a few lumps than overcommit with people and factory lines fulfilling PO's 100%. The industry has metrics between retailer and supplier where 95-98% PO fulfillment is generally fine. So even stores dont expect perfection. It's when a supplier consistently is under 90 or 95% where the retailer gets pissed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom