• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft director blames gamers, says they've been exposed as 'non-decent humans'

Hookshot

Gold Member
The funniest thing is we’re not activists.

We aren’t organized.

We aren’t actively trying to manipulate people into toeing the line.

We’re just a bunch normal, like-minded gamers voicing our opinions and voting with our wallets.
I am

Kacho

Gold Member
859629.jpg

I agree with the theoretical point he made in this portion:

How can you wish a company to fail simply because they do not cater [specifically] to you or that the product does not please [specifically] you is beyond me.

I have personally never liked the idea of any form of art being boxed into a set corner of parameters. And yes, that includes forced changes from the inside as well. However, both the community and the publisher seem adamant on repeating this issue over and over.

I’ve said it before, but simply switching from pandering to side A instead of side B is putting a bandaid on a larger issue.

Ubisoft aren’t the right ones to say this right now though, it needs to be from the developers people actually like.

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University

I have personally never liked the idea of any form of art being boxed into a set corner of parameters. And yes, that includes forced changes from the inside as well. However, both the community and the publisher seem adamant on repeating this issue over and over.

I’ve said it before, but simply switching from pandering to side A instead of side B is putting a bandaid on a larger issue.

Ubisoft aren’t the right ones to say this right now though, it needs to be from the developers people actually like.

I do not wish any company to die off, I just do not care if they do. I do not care about the employees and their jobs, I care that they make a product I wish to purchase. I think many people think like this. I have plenty going on in my life to care what feelings these emotionally stunted people have.

The problem arises when you do not buy their product, or their product is below what the expected to sell, so now everyone who doesn’t buy it is a bigot and a racist, and blah blah blah and at this point, it is all a turn off.

Social Media has apparently taught people to think they are important to other people somehow, when in reality, it doesn’t matter if they get fired, jump off a bridge, get promoted, get shut down, as long as the product I wish to purchase is done and good to go.

I think all these folks keep each other in bubbles, telling each other that they are important to the gamers, when I and most people do not care as long as it was a good game even if said game was made by monkeys or cats.

If the game is crap, I’ll say it to them by not buying it, some that have social media want to give their opinions and they have every right as they do not owe any corporations any loyalty. The loyalty is put out a good game and people will purchase it.

As long as there is no physical violence or the threat of it, I don’t not care what anyone says to these emotional people. It’s a job, do it, go home.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Seria-POR-ISSO-que-Assassins-Creed-Shadows-foi-adiado.webp

Ubisoft's continuous downward spiral is seemingly only gaining speed, with the latest speed boost coming from the company Monetization Director for Ubisoft, who took to LinkedIn to call gamers critiquing the company and its products "non-decent human".

Now, in the heat of what could be considered the most tumultuous time for Ubisoft, the company's director for monetization, Stevy Chassard, has taken to LinkedIn to voice his opinion on the public's reaction to Ubisoft and its recent decisions.

- Chassard

via Tweaktown
Auuchhh

The problem with this point is that he works for a company that insults their customers regularly so it's perfectly fine that people want it to burn to ashes. They can't ask for sympathy after behaving like dicks when they were winning. Now that reality threatens to bite their asses they play the victim card.

Textbook passive-aggressive behavior.

Hilarious!

Stevy Chassard has just figured out that demographics exist…

Turns out, if you make a game featuring Ma’am Solo instead of Han Solo.. it may not appeal quite as readily to your majority male audience.

Likewise, if you make a game about a black guy cutting down Asian peasants in feudal Japan.. it may not appeal to as broad an audience as you believed.

Such a shame Ubisoft may not be around long enough to learn their lesson.

I do not wish any company to die off, I just do not care if they do. I do not care about the employees and their jobs, I care that they make a product I wish to purchase. I think many people think like this. I have plenty going on in my life to care what feelings these emotionally stunted people have.

The problem arises when you do not buy their product, or their product is below what the expected to sell, so now everyone who doesn’t buy it is a bigot and a racist, and blah blah blah and at this point, it is all a turn off.

Social Media has apparently taught people to think they are important to other people somehow, when in reality, it doesn’t matter if they get fired, jump off a bridge, get promoted, get shut down, as long as the product I wish to purchase is done and good to go.

I think all these folks keep each other in bubbles, telling each other that they are important to the gamers, when I and most people do not care as long as it was a good, even a game made by monkeys.

If the game is crap, I’ll say it to them by not buying it, some that have social media want to give their opinions and they have every right as they do not owe any corporations any loyalty. The loyalty is put out a good game and people will purchase it.

As long as there is no physical violence or the threat of it, I don’t not care what anyone says to these emotional people. It’s a job, do it, go home.
What you’ve said is way, way more rational than what some others here have stated, especially the edgier ones here and elsewhere who tend to just take things a bit too far.

90% of what you’ve said I agree with. It’s just a hobby at the end of the day and we all choose what to interact with/spend money on and what not to. The issue is that others can’t simply stop there and must take things further.

What I’ve noticed post-pandemic that’s been growing more and more every year is this new culture/trend of actively finding things to hate rather than finding things to enjoy and recommend to others. It’s something that continues to seem benign to me, to where I have recently had to just accept that this hate-watch/hate-play culture is going nowhere anytime soon, and to be honest I don’t know if it will ever go away even if DEI or the latest greedy big business models were gone tomorrow.

The problem with this point is that he works for a company that insults their customers regularly so it's perfectly fine that people want it to burn to ashes. They can't ask for sympathy after behaving like dicks when they were winning. Now that reality threatens to bite their asses they play the victim card.

Textbook passive-aggressive behavior.
I just think that anything that involves input from a monetization director has disqualified itself from being called art.
That’s why I said that Ubisoft aren’t the right ones to point these things out in the post you’ve quoted. They have backed themselves into a corner due to their own actions and everyone knows this.

Last edited:

BbMajor7th

It isn't a tidal wave of hatred causing these games to fail; it's a deafening wall of apathy.

Debates about woke or problematic games are a niche hobby and campaigns to bring down them barely move the needle.

People trashing Concord achieved about as much as the boycotts against Hogwarts Legacy achieved - nothing.

Concord was always destined to fail and Hogwarts Legacy was always going to sell gangbusters - the silent majority subconsciously decided that before the chuds, incels or snowflakes even opened thier mouths.

This guy is just looking to export blame elsewhere. Your game underperformed - whether people are laughing at you or rooting for you, it doesn't matter, you've either got to learn from your mistakes or find a new career.

Last edited:

chakadave

Neo Member
Video game developers are more merit based than most.

It’s amazing they think they can release a game that sucks but checks a few boxes and think it should do just fine sales wise.

These devs don’t even understand games and why they are fun in the first place.

Fuck off you moron! Calling gamers bigots, racists and now non decent human beings??? No one wants your virtue signaling shite your peddling. What a complete and utter tone deaf moron. Glad to see them burning up. Toxic companies run by people like this all deserve to die off.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Video game developers are more merit based than most.

It’s amazing they think they can release a game that sucks but checks a few boxes and think it should do just fine sales wise.

These devs don’t even understand games and why they are fun in the first place.
They care too much as cogs in the machine. They aren’t in charge of the direction and goals of the game. Or marketing etc.

Imagine being an assembly machine worker for a car company, and going to social media pissed when people rate the car bad and it doesn’t sell like hot cakes.

Stop giving a shit. Your job isn’t important just like the majority of others. Replaceable.

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
What you’ve said is way, way more rational than what some others here have stated, especially the edgier ones here and elsewhere who tend to just take things a bit too far.

90% of what you’ve said I agree with. It’s just a hobby at the end of the day and we all choose what to interact with/spend money on and what not to. The issue is that others can’t simply stop there and must take things further.

What I’ve noticed post-pandemic that’s been growing more and more every year is this new culture/trend of actively finding things to hate rather than finding things to enjoy and recommend to others. It’s something that continues to seem benign to me, to where I have recently had to just accept that this hate-watch/hate-play culture is going nowhere anytime soon, and to be honest I don’t know if it will ever go away even if DEI or the latest greedy big business models were gone tomorrow.

That’s why I said that Ubisoft aren’t the right ones to point these things out in the post you’ve quoted. They have backed themselves into a corner due to their own actions and everyone knows this.

Sorry,

I do not know how to snip out words or sentences that you wrote, but I 110% percent agree you that seemingly during the later stages of the pandemic and post, people tend to actively pursue and see the negative in almost everything. Movies, games, social media.

There a lot of negative folks out there and we can see that threads around here about new consoles, games, etc and it is a lot of nagging on the game instead of everyone getting together like in school when the cool guy brought in the directions to MK2 and you read and debated it and drew about it in art class.

The excitement is diminished and yes I agree that I do not know if we will ever see a return of a more positive atmosphere ever after the DEI fiasco.

Edit: also the post pandemic look at negatively is really interesting and the variables that may have played a part in it, like the lock down, feeling alone, as most of us in the US have never really been through it before. Could have changed mental states and brain chemistries, especially in children.

Last edited:
It isn't a tidal wave of hatred causing these games to fail; it's a deafening wall of apathy.

Debates about woke or problematic games are a niche hobby and campaigns to bring down them barely move the needle.

People trashing Concord achieved about as much as the boycotts against Hogwarts Legacy achieved - nothing.

Concord was always destined to fail and Hogwarts Legacy was always going to sell gangbusters - the silent majority subconsciously decided that before the chuds, incels or snowflakes even opened thier mouths.

This guy is just looking to export blame elsewhere. Your game underperformed - whether people are laughing at you or rooting for you, it doesn't matter, you've either got to learn from your mistakes or find a new career.
This isn't art for art's sake, it's commercial art at best. For the most part, videogames aren't subsidized by governmental parties and rely on sales to be successful. And if they have giant budgets like most Ubisoft games do, this is especially true. If they don't give the people who buy games what they want, they will fail.

Ubisoft games used to cater to gamers, then they went after a different audience and monetized the living hell out of everything they released. I don't know that I'm cheering on their demise, but I certainly don't feel pity for them. It's like a renowned steakhouse replacing its head chef with a vegan activist and then trying to shame the old customers for not wanting fake steaks. Boo-hoo, you're not entitled to anyone's money. Make something people actually want.
I don’t know if people are misreading my post or something but I am merely speaking of the art itself.

If something fails, it fails. I simply would rather have the artists do whatever they wanted to do at the end of the day even if it is met with failure.

We have a category called ‘hidden gems’ for that exact reason. Yes, you can try to capture a big audience as much as possible but sometimes it just doesn’t work. So in that specific notion I agree with that specific part I quoted of what he said, that changing an artistic vision to pander to one side or the other isn’t the way forward.

It’s why I didn’t quote his other parts, because those parts don’t really solve anything.

Last edited:
I had no idea it was possible to give yourself Stockholm Syndrome, but Ubisoft is breaking trends.

I had a while bunch wrote out, but deleted it as these rancid cunts are hopefully next to be extinct, so might as well celebrate instead.

I've wanted a video game crash type of scenario for years, to kill off companies like this, but they actually died a long time ago. All that's left is the husk of a former games company that's having its body controlled by parasites. It's just now the husk has decayed so much it is now see-through and the parasites have nowhere to run and hide anymore.

Fuck all of them.

Last edited:

chakadave

Neo Member
I don’t know if people are misreading my post or something but I am merely speaking of the art itself.

If something fails, it fails. I simply would rather have the artists do whatever they wanted to do at the end of the day even if it is met with failure.

We have a category called ‘hidden gems’ for that exact reason. So in that specific notion I agree with that specific part of what he said, that changing an artistic vision to pander to one side isn’t the way forward.

It’s why I didn’t quote his other parts, because those parts don’t really solve anything.
It's actually the opposite. The new video game leadership think they can just plug in anyone anywhere and mimic games 10 years ago. Not understanding anything about what made them good.

Then on the lower levels we are seeing the identity agenda.

//DEVIL//

So he knows the company is hated. He knows every decision they make is an anti-normal gamer and woke as fuck, and they are always under fire for the shit decisions they make.

his job is shit just like his face, then he has the audacity to come and talk shit.

fuck you. fuck your mom for having you, and your shitty job that is actually one of the main reasons why the gaming industry is turning to shit. because of scumbags like you and your boss Yves Fucktard.

I hope Tencent buys the shit out of this company and you and that monkey CEO get the shaft and never find a job in the industry again. .

Last edited:
It's actually the opposite. The new video game leadership think they can just plug in anyone anywhere and mimic games 10 years ago. Not understanding anything about what made them good.

Then on the lower levels we are seeing the identity agenda.
Again my point isn’t about who’s doing it, it’s about the action itself. There’s no ‘opposite’ because I never made a hard stance or opinion on who’s stifling the art.

My point was that it shouldn’t be that stifled to begin with, regardless of where people want to point fingers.

Again my point isn’t about who’s doing it, it’s about the action itself. There’s no ‘opposite’ because I never made a hard stance or opinion on who’s stifling the art.

My point was that it shouldn’t be that stifled to begin with, regardless of where people want to point fingers.
I just think that anything that involves input from a monetization director has disqualified itself from being called art.

GHound

I can't be that awful. I haven't even said that I wish Tencent would buy them just to turn them into a horny anime mobile gacha slop company yet.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
It's been a long road, getting from there to here. It's been a long time, but our time is finally near.

lmimmfn

"How can you wish a company to fail simply because they do not cater to you or that the produce does not please you is beyond me."

My dear friend, its not just about wishing your company to fail, we are actively not buying your products which "do not cater to" us. How it is "beyond" you is entirely your problem and maybe some self reflection is in order?

In other words, go fuck your corporate self!!!

Last edited:
Imagine virtue signaling and going all in on woke shite at the expense of your brand. Then getting so upset at gamers who refuse to buy your trash you feel the need to berate them. Not even realizing all the bending over backwards you did to appease a group that doesn’t even exist or isn’t relevant enough to actually buy your game and make a difference. We are living in the end days of all reason, logic and sanity my friends.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member

>How can you wish a company to fail simply because they do not cater [specifically] to you or that the product does not please [specifically] you is beyond me.

This isn't art for art's sake, it's commercial art at best. For the most part, videogames aren't subsidized by governmental parties and rely on sales to be successful. And if they have giant budgets like most Ubisoft games do, this is especially true. If they don't give the people who buy games what they want, they will fail.

Ubisoft games used to cater to gamers, then they went after a different audience and monetized the living hell out of everything they released. I don't know that I'm cheering on their demise, but I certainly don't feel pity for them. It's like a renowned steakhouse replacing its head chef with a vegan activist and then trying to shame the old customers for not wanting fake steaks. Boo-hoo, you're not entitled to anyone's money. Make something people actually want.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Sorry,

I do not know how to snip out words or sentences that you wrote, but I 110% percent agree you that seemingly during the later stages of the pandemic and post, people tend to actively pursue and see the negative in almost everything. Movies, games, social media.

There a lot of negative folks out there and we can see that threads around here about new consoles, games, etc and it is a lot of nagging on the game instead of everyone getting together like in school when the cool guy brought in the directions to MK2 and you read and debated it and drew about it in art class.

The excitement is diminished and yes I agree that I do not know if we will ever see a return of a more positive atmosphere ever after the DEI fiasco.

Edit: also the post pandemic look at negatively is really interesting and the variables that may have played a part in it, like the lock down, feeling alone, as most of us in the US have never really been through it before. Could have changed mental states and brain chemistries, especially in children.
Probably because the past 5 years has been a giant preachy combo of DEI, politics, and woke-ish stuff.

Everyone in life knows some products or services are bad. It could be poorly made or a rip off for the price paid. People might not like it but they move on. What people really dont like is being lumped on being preached and DEI'ed to death especially for products that shouldnt have political messages to begin with. And even worse some of the companies (often tech, gaming and movies) have smart alec employees who battle people on social media.

Most companies and employees arent political. They just want to sell a pair of jeans or a table lamp or an oil change. Offer something for a price and people can live with it. But offer that with discriminatory DEI policies and preaching and nobody will go for that. When people want to buy life insurance, a movie ticket or game, they just want that. And not be lectured to in the product or on Twitter.

Last edited:

Kings Field

sometimes I just want to give up gaming because the constant crying from these fucking devs is just so tiring but then I read an article on here about the GOATS at From getting a salary bump which equates to roughly minimum wage in the USA and they still keep pumping out fucking bangers and never complain and it makes me happy that we have some studios left with passion and talent.

Just make good fucking games. It’s simple. Good products sell.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member

We aren’t organized.

We’re just a bunch normal, like-minded gamers voicing our opinions and voting with our wallets.

And the fact that they don’t grasp this is beyond fucking astounding. How many utter failures will it take for them to really wake up is now the question.

And thing is, they might have already, but we won’t see even a modicum of these changes until 3-5 years from now.

Last edited:

Kerotan

We aren’t organized.

Exactly. There's no press campaign leading a go woke go broke campaign. Gamers just don't like what they see and vote with their wallets.

This explains Ubisoft's behavior this generation. From the lack of a proper output to massive delays and insensitive culture appropriating speaks to a broken management that has been allowed to fester till this point.

So it's no surprise why this tweet vindicates all the suspected shenanigans that are happening in the company. A job title that is just plain embarrassing and breaking every rule of business by insulting the consumers. At this point, I don't see how anyone can give them the benefit of the doubt save for either agreeing to their disgusting politics or they are indifferent to the situation.

It's gonna be a steep drop from here on out. How many more fuckups will we see until then.

Top Bottom