• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 117 - Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen - LIVE on PPV 8/7 - 7pm PT/10pm ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Fersis said:
Rewatching Lesnar Vs Carwin:

Joe Rogan: Carwin is fine.
* Carwin's taps out *

Brock absorbed a crazy amount of killer punches.

And some killer elbows, one right elbow was pretty sick. I would have died. :lol

bbyybb

CGI bullshit is the death knell of cinema
Here are my picks:

Silva
Alves
Guida
Hughes
Dos Santos

Should be a great night of fights.

Hex

Banned
pel1300 said:
And yet you find Brock and Koscheck amusing. Brock who is actually serious about his hatred of Frank Mir, gets in his face when he is still wobbly/out of it, then flicks off the crowd? That is not "stooping low" hype himself?

Koscheck, who says things like "Matt Hughes is slow, he's a farm boy and he's white" is amusing to you? Hell he wasn't even fighting Hughes and he said that. Chael's remarks aren't anywhere near as blatant as that.

Consistency, my friend.

Mir brought it on himself, shockingly enough by trash talking.
I believe one of the things that Mir said is that he wanted Brock dead?

pel1300

Hex said:
Mir brought it on himself, shockingly enough by trash talking.
I believe one of the things that Mir said is that he wanted Brock dead?

Um, no. He said that months AFTER they fought.

And no, Mir did not bring that on himself. Brock talked as much trash before the fight, if not more. But truthfully neither guy talked that much trash. Paul Daley/Josh Koscheck was worse.

Zeliard

pel1300 said:
And yet you find Brock and Koscheck amusing. Brock who is actually serious about his hatred of Frank Mir, gets in his face when he is still wobbly/out of it, then flicks off the crowd? That is not "stooping low" hype himself?

Flicking off the crowd that's booing you, no. That's pure heel. There was certainly no excuse for Brock going up to Mir like that, but it's laughable to pretend that whole thing was one-sided in terms of hatred. Mir gave as good as he took pre-fight, and had no shortage of hatred for Brock.

pel1300 said:
Koscheck, who says things like "Matt Hughes is slow, he's a farm boy and he's white" is amusing to you? Hell he wasn't even fighting Hughes and he said that. Chael's remarks aren't anywhere near as blatant as that.

I had not heard about this, and it's obviously unacceptable. I was referring more to Koscheck's trolling actions in the ring.

It's a little different to me when someone is disrespecting his direct opponent, like Brock Lesnar and Anderson Silva, than when someone threatens entire minority groups like Sonnen. I think that goes a bit beyond the scope of pre-fight hype, no? I don't equalize the two because they aren't equal. It isn't really defensible to say that someone who wears a pink shirt and earrings wouldn't last in your neighborhood, even if you're putting on an "act." It just makes you a dick who's going to have his face caved in by the dude who wears pink shirts.

Hex

Banned
abstract alien said:
I'm so pumped for this, but I'm gonna need a lamp. Had to work tonight and its the only way ill be able to see it live :(

Light might be hard to come by tonight, I will be heading home from work in a bit and trying hard to find some illumination.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
I've been pumped for 117 for like a month now. I can't wait for this.

I hate Anderson Silva, and I hope Sonnen can back up all the shit he's been talking. It's probably unlikely, but I still hope.

pel1300

polyh3dron said:
I would LOVE to see Phil Davis vs Jon Jones.

Mike Goldberg said that during Phil's last fight. It was pretty funny, hes like "Phil is so athletic, I would love to see Phil Davis vs Jon Jones". It's exactly what MMA fans worldwide were thinking at the moment :lol

Zeliard

polyh3dron said:
I would LOVE to see Phil Davis vs Jon Jones.

Jon Jones vs. anyone, really.

Pretty funny how that guy keeps appearing on free cards, but I would pay money to see him every time around.

Prepare for the worst crowd ever. Any time any fight has any kind of lull or goes to the ground the boos are deafening. Shit is embarrassing.

AMAZING prelim card, holy shit.

JambiBum

Fucking hate when the crowd boos when it goes to the ground. I love a good striking match but someone with a great ground game is wonderful to watch.

polyh3dron said:
Prepare for the worst crowd ever. Any time any fight has any kind of lull or goes to the ground the boos are deafening. Shit is embarrassing.

AMAZING prelim card, holy shit.
Tell them to shut and splash beer and piss on their face. A terrible crowd ruins fights.

saelz8

JambiBum said:
Fucking hate when the crowd boos when it goes to the ground. I love a good striking match but someone with a great ground game is wonderful to watch.
American crowds fuckin suck.

Zeliard

JambiBum said:

Every single fight tonight has the potential of spending a lot of time on the ground, too.

JambiBum

Zeliard said:
Every single fight tonight has the potential of spending a lot of time on the ground, too.
Which is why I like this card so much. Also I really want to see Silva knock his fucking as out and then dance around his body.

Nameless

Zeliard said:
Roy Nelson vs Dos Santos is intriguing, but I feel bad things will happen to Big Country. :(

Dana White feeding the loser to Shane Carwin is some hardcore Roman empire shit. Carwin hasn't gotten less dangerous. He's still very much a beast. Tonight is the start of a bad few months for one of those guys.

Zeliard

JambiBum said:
Which is why I like this card so much. Also I really want to see Silva knock his fucking as out and then dance around his body.

All I want out of tonight's fights in terms of winners/losers are for Sonnen to get punished, and Alves to win by whatever method (TKO would be rad). The rest, I'm just looking forward to some good fights. I like JDS a lot, but I also like Roy Nelson, so I'm not really rooting for anyone there.

Zeliard

Nameless said:
Dana White feeding the loser to Shane Carwin is some hardcore Roman empire shit. Carwin hasn't gotten less dangerous. He's still very much a beast. Tonight is the start of a bad few months for one of those guys.

Haha yeah, that's the problem with the heavyweight division. It's a lot better than it used to be, but it's still fairly shallow, so you may end up with some repetition, or some mismatches.

Actually JDS vs Carwin would be interesting, since I'd be curious to see if Carwin would be willing to stand with him. Roy Nelson vs Carwin would be disastrous, I think.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
ugh... why isn't this in HD? I could have sword the last few I got were in HD.

Comcast isn't showing this in HD? This is bullshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom