• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 173 |OT| Memorial Day Weekend Squash Matches brought to you by Zuffa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dysun

b5f6ff.png

Squash Match #1
"Killer" "Murderer" "P4P #1" "Beast" Renan Barao (-800) vs TJ Dillawho

Squash Match #2
"Black Fedor" Daniel Cormier (-850) vs 43 year old TRT-less Dan Henderson (+550)

Competetive scrap!
Robbie Lawler (-220) vs Jake Ellenberger (+180)

James Krause vs Jaime Varner
Takeya Mizugaki vs Francisco Rivera

And a bunch of other fights you probably don't care about, featuring fighters you've never heard of.

Fox Sports 1 Prelims
Michael Chiesa vs. Francisco Trinaldo
Tony Ferguson vs. Katsunori Kikuno
Chico Camus vs. Chris Holdsworth
Mitch Clarke vs. Al Iaquinta

PRELIMINARY CARD
UFC Fight Pass, 6:30 p.m. ET
Anthony Njokuani vs. Vinc Pichel
Aaron Phillips vs. Sam Sicilia
Jingliang Li vs. David Michaud

Early prelims start at 3:30 PM PT / 6:30 PM ET on UFC Fight Pass
Late prelims start at 5:00 PM PT / 8:00 PM ET on FOX Sports 1
Main card starts at 7:00 PM PT / 10:00 PM ET on pay-per-view

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Tuning in to see Cormier annihilate old man Hendo.

I couldn't care less about the main event though. Dana's recent attempts to sell Barao as #1 P4P have been amusing. This guy has more cans in his record than Fyodor.

I think I'm looking to the prelims more than the main card. Al Iaquinta is the man and Camus, Ferguson, and Chiesa are all capable of putting on some exciting fights. I wish I could see Njokuani as well but ... fight pass. :/

i saw Kikuno vs André Dida back in DREAM. still shocked he's at UFC now.

hope Black Fedorenko puts down Dan for good. just retire, old man.

tfur

Damn Cormier cut down that weight.
I had to zoom in to recognize him. Slimmest I have seen him maybe.

BSsBrolly

Banned
Damn Cormier cut down that weight.
I had to zoom in to recognize him. Slimmest I have seen him maybe.

That's funny, I thought "shit, he's still a little chubby... Even at 205,"

I wonder, can he cut to 185?

Edit: by 185 I mean, can he lose more fat?

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
I have a hunch that if Hendo wins Dana will use his and Rousey's victories to claim that freestyle wrestling is a joke and that the UFC will no longer sign any fighters with NCAA credentials in the sport.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Wrestlers have been really getting Dana's goat lately. Two of the most decorated freestyle wrestlers in the UFC are the former Olympians Sara McMann and Daniel Cormier. McMann lost to Rousey, despite her silver medal being a higher accomplishment than Rousey's bronze in Judo. If Henderson, a 43 year old former Olympic Greco competitor, defeats Cormier, the younger former captain of the US Olympic freestyle team, this will be evidence enough for Dana to claim that high level freestyle wrestling doesn't cut it at the top levels of the superbowl of MMA and that if the Askren's of this world want a job they need to evolve their game and start winging H-bombs (Hendricks or Henderson style, it doesn't matter which).

So basically nothing will change, except that people who claim that Dana only cares about entertainment and not competition will be left without an argument.

haha.. TJ looks really confident for a dude about to get wrecked.

Eff that noise, I love it, I will pay PPV prices for fighters like him that want to be there .Imagine a douche like Michael Bisping got a shot at A. Silva before Sonnen did the first time, the UFC would look totally different today. These guys are good, confident and dont care what the the naysayers say. Reminds me of Wideman to be honest.

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
I have a hunch that if Hendo wins Dana will use his and Rousey's victories to claim that freestyle wrestling is a joke and that the UFC will no longer sign any fighters with NCAA credentials in the sport.

That should depend on how long he goes, the wrestlers have shown stamina if they don't fall for a good move. It would suck if it went to the judges and Hendo wins by a hair and Dana did that.

VoxPop

I got Dillawho getting the surprise upset via more technical striking or at least putting up a great fight before losing. I also like Ellenberger in a 3 rounder while I think Robbie would have took it in a 5 rounder. Cormier should also win by cage clinching decision but hoping for a monster h bomb. But at 43 years old and no TRT, that's a stretch.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Nice card! So, if Hendo loses, will he retire? He definitely had a hard time getting past Shogun. And we all know Shogun is teetering to retirement already.

Barao #1? Pshaw! Jose Aldo, Jon Jones are better candidates. I'd lump in GSP even if he's boring now, but well, he's semi-gone.

Siktastic

Banned
I can see Lawler getting a win by strikes in the 2nd round. Even at 43 hendo still has the power to put out; but he will lose this fight if it drags on.

Seanspeed

Banned
Nice card! So, if Hendo loses, will he retire? He definitely had a hard time getting past Shogun. And we all know Shogun is teetering to retirement already.

Barao #1? Pshaw! Jose Aldo, Jon Jones are better candidates. I'd lump in GSP even if he's boring now, but well, he's semi-gone.
Barao is underrated. The guy is a monster.

And its one of the more exciting classes at the moment as well, in my opinion.

VASPER

Banned
Wrestlers have been really getting Dana's goat lately. Two of the most decorated freestyle wrestlers in the UFC are the former Olympians Sara McMann and Daniel Cormier. McMann lost to Rousey, despite her silver medal being a higher accomplishment than Rousey's bronze in Judo. If Henderson, a 43 year old former Olympic Greco competitor, defeats Cormier, the younger former captain of the US Olympic freestyle team, this will be evidence enough for Dana to claim that high level freestyle wrestling doesn't cut it at the top levels of the superbowl of MMA and that if the Askren's of this world want a job they need to evolve their game and start winging H-bombs (Hendricks or Henderson style, it doesn't matter which).

So basically nothing will change, except that people who claim that Dana only cares about entertainment and not competition will be left without an argument.

Dana is just a weird dude, one day he will say that the UFC will never have women fighters and now he is all about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom