• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 196 Conor McGregor vs Nate Diaz |OT| Fook The Belt feat. Ninja Shit & Touch Butt

Status
Not open for further replies.

ironcreed

Banned
No chance. You could see Diaz was hurting, especially on the cut which Conor kept poking. If Conor simply kept picking at him patiently he'd have been done. That one connect that rocked Conor, that he should have had his hands up for, just took it out of him. After that it was game over. It wasn't a lucky shot, but Conor was sloppy to let it connect. I mean, it wasnt exactly subtle or stealthy.

Were we watching the same fight? Nate hurt him and his knees turned to rubber. Nate kept pouring it on as Conor retreated and then Conor tried a take down to prevent getting his ass handed to him. Which meant he was screwed either way and was in an even worse position. Hence, the result. He got his ass beat. Sorry.

tumblr_o3ltdlZkx61r0jlbgo1_540.jpg

Oh god this is amazing.

Dmented

Banned
He's very good but all the hype was premature.

You have to do it for a long time before you should get that type of props.

Absolutely agree 100%. I mean still, doing the things he did prior to this fight is no small feat and props were earned. But to think of him as some super fighter, nah. In time? I can see it happening. I can see him becoming an Anderson Silva or GSP.

Nah, Diaz is the better boxer. Conor's just faster. A lot faster.

They basically had a kickboxing match which Diaz won.

Nope. A better boxer wouldn't have got his face lit up that quick in the first round.

Being fast doesn't mean anything, ask Roy Jones Jr.

A good boxer can nullify speed with great timing.

MMA as a sport feels so random.

Boxing = Street Fighter
MMA = MAHVEL

This is how Dana feels right now

It really is. In boxing Conor could have taken a knee after that hard punch, taken 8 seconds to get his shit together and continued the fight. MMA by nature is more prone to flukey/flash type finishes (not to say this one specifically was a fluke). It's why guys like Ronda or Conor and others get hyped up so quickly. It's not a sport where you are going to let guys have a bunch of tune up fights. You strike while the irons hot and take advantage of somebody's draw/star power while you can.

I had mentioned on another thread that Diaz had more than a fair shot and was a good bet if he had his regular camp. There was also talk about McGregor fighting Lawler, which is laughable at best. McGregor has power at 145, maybe at 155 as well, but I don't believe he's putting anyone away at 170. Lawler is one of the hardest hitting guys when he fought at 185, and he didn't seem like he lost power when he dropped down to 170.

Hopefully that humbles him a bit because McGregor is arrogant to the point of being annoying. He's a good fighter though, so I will appreciate watching Edgar fighting for the belt at 145

nib95

Banned
Nah, Diaz is the better boxer. Conor's just faster. A lot faster.

They basically had a kickboxing match which Diaz won.

I honestly feel that Diaz only won tonight because Conor basically had little to no defence, and was just too arrogant. Diaz had his hands up the entire time, Conor on the other hand just seemed to just be taking it in his stride, and easily picking shots.

If there's a rematch, I'd be utterly shocked if Conor doesn't win, and I say this as someone who isn't exactly a big Conor stan.

Dana is probably fuming.

His biggest draw now looks human and loses most of his appeal to people who don't really care about the sport, for the 2nd PPV in a row.

I disagree. People are talking more about this PPV compared to if the predictable happened. Plus it helps that most of the people wanted Conor and Holm to fail.

Dana partyin' tonight for now.

Spy

I honestly feel that Diaz only won tonight because Conor basically had little to no defence, and was just too arrogant. Diaz had his hands up the entire time, Conor on the other hand just seemed to just be taking it in his stride, and easily picking shots.

If there's a rematch, I'd be utterly shocked if Conor doesn't win, and I say this as someone who isn't exactly a big Conor stan.
Conor is ALWAYS like this when he fights.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I had mentioned on another thread that Diaz had more than a fair shot and was a good bet if he had his regular camp. There was also talk about McGregor fighting Lawler, which is laughable at best. McGregor has power at 145, maybe at 155 as well, but I don't believe he's putting anyone away at 170. Lawler is one of the hardest hitting guys when he fought at 185, and he didn't seem like he lost power when he dropped down to 170.

Hopefully that humbles him a bit because McGregor is arrogant to the point of being annoying. He's a good fighter though, so I will appreciate watching Edgar fighting for the belt at 145

People in the MMA world seem to think power transfers as you go up, from boxing you know this just isn't true at all.

Were we watching the same fight? Nate hurt him and his knees turned to rubber. Nate kept pouring it on as Conor retreated and then Conor tried a take down to prevent getting his ass handed to him. Which meant he was screwed either way and was in an even worse position. Hence, the result. He got his ass beat. Sorry.

Seriously...I don't see how anyone could say Connor was winning upright either. You could see it in Connor's face after those 2nd-round combos: he knew he couldn't withstand much of that once Nate came on.

Did you watch the fight? Just admit your boy got outboxed.
I watched the fight and I could have imagined what was your reaction when Conor was tagging Diaz left and right until Conor got cocky and dropped his guard.

Conor got beat but Diaz is not the better boxer.

And Conor is not my boy at all lol.

JJD

No chance. You could see Diaz was hurting, especially on the cut which Conor kept poking. If Conor simply kept picking at him patiently he'd have been done. That one connect that rocked Conor, that he should have had his hands up for, just took it out of him. After that it was game over. It wasn't a lucky shot, but Conor was sloppy to let it connect. I mean, it wasnt exactly subtle or stealthy.

That cut was not hurting him, it was just annoying him. Blood in your eye stings a lot. Some fighters have taken so much punishment over their careers that their skin is thin specially at that spot. The punch that opened him wasn't even that hard.

He fought a guy in Canelo Alvarez who outweighed him by 25 lbs on fight night and masterclassed him.

Yea at a catchweight of 150 lbs. Canelo was dead on weigh in. In fact, he couldn't even stand. He had to sit on a char immediately afterwards.

Floyd is a fraud. If he fought in UFC style org where he had to fight everyone he would've got his ass kicked plenty of times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom