• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 203 CM Punk vs Mickey Gall |OT| Like Mussolini and Kennedy

Status
Not open for further replies.

RK9039

I'm just going to stay up as normal. The most disappointing fight was Aldo vs Mckregger because I stayed up and watched all the fights, and the main event just ends in 13 seconds lmao.

If Punk supposedly refused painkillers back when he fractured his skull I doubt he's taking something now.

He's 6'2" according to Wikipedia. Pretty damn skinny for that height but if he's not there already he's less than 5 pounds away.

I quoted this yesterday but as already said he's more a hair under 6'. At the end of his WWE run there was no way he was 200 pounds either, probably more like 190.

Chesskid1

Banned
hmm, i wonder if people in cleveland give a shit about stipe (im from ohio). always hear mma reporters talk about how he broke cleveland's curse and crap, but i dont think anyone from cleveland cares??

some shit talking between werdum/browne in the latest embedded (episode 5), but it was in different languages. too bad it didn't escalate for some bad blood going into the fight.

also, its so hard to take edward tarveryan serious when i see him in ufc videos now.

Fox318

hmm, i wonder if people in cleveland give a shit about stipe (im from ohio). always hear mma reporters talk about how he broke cleveland's curse and crap, but i dont think anyone from cleveland cares??

some shit talking between werdum/browne in the latest embedded (episode 5), but it was in different languages. too bad it didn't escalate for some bad blood going into the fight.

also, its so hard to take edward tarveryan serious when i see him in ufc videos now.

The hero of Cleve

CjebHRlUoAA252a.jpg

Most probably didn't know who he was but are now bandwagoning because of the circumstances.

darscot

People who legit think like this don't know what the fuck they are talking about.

My money has been and will always be on Punk.

Punk has no fighting background it's not exactly a stretch to think this is a joke. There has been a lot of talk that he has not sparred well at all. Saying people don't know what they are talking about is silly there is no evidence that Punk can actually fight, it's his first fight.

apperantly there was an elevator malfunction with some fighters in it and CB Dolloway hurt his back and is out of his fight today lol

Gall isn't as good as people are making him out to be. At the open workouts he badly missed a throw and his team mate straight up jumped over him to make it look like he did the throw correctly.

That said I still favor him over Punk. Maybe if CM was some 28-30 year old in his physical prime but he's a bit old to be trying to learn all this stuff at a professional level

styl3s

Punk has no fighting background it's not exactly a stretch to think this is a joke. There has been a lot of talk that he has not sparred well at all. Saying people don't know what they are talking about is silly there is no evidence that Punk can actually fight, it's his first fight.
It's MMA all it takes is one well connected hit or a slip up just because someone who hasn't trained all his life wins doesn't mean it's a thrown fight that's absurd thinking.

If punk wins he wins there is no payoff you think Dana and the UFC are going to risk everything for this fight? And don't get me started on how overrated Mickey is people think he's some fucking terminator who is unbeatable he's not that good. Dana picked him for a reason.

Gall isn't as good as people are making him out to be. At the open workouts he badly missed a throw and his team mate straight up jumped over him to make it look like he did the throw correctly.

That said I still favor him over Punk. Maybe if CM was some 28-30 year old in his physical prime but he's a bit old to be trying to learn all this stuff at a professional level
He's a brown belt that has been in many Jui Jitsu tournaments, Punk is a gas station attendant.

I mean I'm not saying he has no skills and I have been picking him since the beginning.

Doesn't change the fact he is a total novice
I'd be shocked if Punk lasts more than 2 minutes.
Only way I'd give Punk a shot is if he had knockout one punch power.
Would love to see Gall against Northcutt after this.

The Beard

Makes sense to me, two newcomers.
One with a very solid ground game against one with solid standup.
Ideally, I'd want to watch the bigger names but if Gall destroys Punk, who else would make sense for him to fight that people might be interested in???

Nobody, tbh. Why would anyone care who Gall fights next? He was picked to fight Punk because he's a beatable opponent for Punk. Punk is a 38 year old who's about to fight for the first time. Let the kid get some more fights under his belt before trying to find exciting fights for him. He could be a total dud.

People who legit think like this don't know what the fuck they are talking about.

My money has been and will always be on Punk.

If you think a 37 year old man with only 2 years experience with any combat sport isn't grossly in over his head against a 24 year old with, minimum, 7 years experience then I really think you should reconsider who doesn't know what they fuck they are talking about.

Phil is, at best, a two stripe BJJ white belt. Gall will eat him alive on the ground.

The Beard

The only way Punk wins is if it's fixed and yes I do think Dana White is capable of doing that.

Why on earth would the UFC risk their reputation to give CM Punk a 1-0 record? The guy is 38 years old, he's not going to have a long career, he's been a snooze-fest in pre fight interviews, so why would they risk it all for him? It'd make no sense whatsoever. They've had bankable champs lose recently, why start fixing things for fucking CM Punk? Lol

DeathyBoy

Banned
Why on earth would the UFC risk their reputation to give CM Punk a 1-0 record? The guy is 38 years old, he's not going to have a long career, he's been a snooze-fest in pre fight interviews, so why would they risk it all for him? It'd make no sense whatsoever. They've had bankable champs lose recently, why start fixing things for fucking CM Punk? Lol

Gotta set up Brock vs Punk 2 to compete with WM 33.

Aiii

So not worth it
Pretending CM Punk isn't a draw despite tons of people in this thread ordering a UFC for the first time ever, or in a long while, because of him, is a bit silly, don't you say?

The Beard

Pretending CM Punk isn't a draw despite tons of people in this thread ordering a UFC for the first time ever, or in a long while, because of him, is a bit silly, don't you say?

Who said he wasn't a draw? Of course he's a draw. He's most likely going to be one and done though. At most, I see him fighting one more time after this.

If Punk supposedly refused painkillers back when he fractured his skull I doubt he's taking something now.

I quoted this yesterday but as already said he's more a hair under 6'. At the end of his WWE run there was no way he was 200 pounds either, probably more like 190.

After seeing him at a WWE event I'd place him at 5'10" if I were going to eyeball it. Weight at 190 or so back then. I was pretty damn sure he made it, but he probably has his reset point still at 190. So him complaining about cutting being hard is just being in starvation mode for several days to maintain fight weight, not him failing to do so.

styl3s

If you think a 37 year old man with only 2 years experience with any combat sport isn't grossly in over his head against a 24 year old with, minimum, 7 years experience then I really think you should reconsider who doesn't know what they fuck they are talking about.

Phil is, at best, a two stripe BJJ white belt. Gall will eat him alive on the ground.
So you think if Phil wins it's a fixed match? Because this conversation has nothing to do with the skill of either fighter it has to do with how people perceive UFC. By saying "If punk wins it's rigged" is saying UFC fixes fights and if you believe that you don't know what the fuck you are talking about and move on. .

I don't give a shit if Gall is jesus christ himself nobody is untouchable anything can happen and it's not fixed.

Makes sense to me, two newcomers.
One with a very solid ground game against one with solid standup.
Ideally, I'd want to watch the bigger names but if Gall destroys Punk, who else would make sense for him to fight that people might be interested in???

I mean the difference in competition and credentials between the two is enormous. Sage is a "newcomer" but nowhere near as green as Gall is.

If Gall wins and the UFC plans on keeping him they are going to have to go out and find another like 3-0 fighter or something outside of the promotion. Sage would be waaaaay too big of a step up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom