• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 207 Rondo Rousey vs Amanda Nunes |OT| No Love & NO MORE QUESTIONS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rousey didn't listen to her corner. The whole time yelling head movement and there was zero head movement LOL

Well I mean the corner at one point also said Nunes will gas out in 20s (or maybe that was before the fight?). I am not a fighter, but I have to imagine that if you were coached better in boxing, the corner would not need to start yelling "head movement!" the second the fight started. Basically, her corner, who is apparently a boxing expert and is humble enough to say he can beat Jose Aldo, is pretty shitty. This is a known thing for a long time, even Ronda's mother begged her to drop him and get a real coach ESPECIALLY after the last fight.

The question from this fight: did it expose a weakness in her OR did it expose the coach as being a fraud? Yes she basically had squash matches most of her fights (I think the total of her first half dozen fights lasted under 2m or maybe I am remember that stat wrong). However, I do think there is something there. I think she surrounded her self with a shitty coach who rode her judo skills to more job opportunities but the Holmes fight and this fight especially proved he is a terrible coach and any fighter taking it seriously should not utilize him.

Honestly, I do hope she drops him and maybe her whole team and gets in with a good camp and trains and comes back. It is disappointing to see her fall so fast. Is she going to be queen of the mountain again? Probably not. However, I do think she has a shot if she fires her team and finds a better one.

I went to Ronda's wikipedia page to see who won (seriously) and found this

0OxjDMY.png

Damn you 2016. Not another one.

FUCKIN DEAD!!!!

BFIB

This might be the biggest flash in the pan I have yet seen in my 40 years on this planet. I mean, I knew she was going to get her ass beat and that big money would be made on her retirement, but I had no idea that she would go down so hard. I gave her at least until the second round, which turned out to be generous indeed. God damn.
I don't follow UFC that closely, was Rousey put against weaker opponents on purpose to build her mystique? Crazy how she spiraled so fast.

Chesskid1

Banned
wow, didn't realize amanda tweeted that. fuck, be classy in victory.

man, watching luke thomas sum it up beautifully.

the calibur of athlete rousey is, she deserves so much better than edmund, someone that she can lean on and guide her into the right direction.

damn, feeling down now.

I gotta say I'm alot more impressed with how Amanda is learning how to use range. She's much better than even 3 fights ago in that regard. She keeps people right at the very end of her punches

N° 2048

Edmund is absolutely still to blame. Who do you think she trained with for that entire year? Yet she still showed no sign of improvement. The fault is on both of them. Edward sucks and Rousey is too stubborn to leave him. I'm not going to credit Edmund for giving her the most basic corner advice you can give a fighter.

Well said.

wow, didn't realize amanda tweeted that. fuck, be classy in victory..

umm what? UFC completely disrespected her. She deserves to vent for a bit.

Well I mean the corner at one point also said Nunes will gas out in 20s (or maybe that was before the fight?). I am not a fighter, but I have to imagine that if you were coached better in boxing, the corner would not need to start yelling "head movement!" the second the fight started. Basically, her corner, who is apparently a boxing expert and is humble enough to say he can beat Jose Aldo, is pretty shitty. This is a known thing for a long time, even Ronda's mother begged her to drop him and get a real coach ESPECIALLY after the last fight.

The question from this fight: did it expose a weakness in her OR did it expose the coach as being a fraud? Yes she basically had squash matches most of her fights (I think the total of her first half dozen fights lasted under 2m or maybe I am remember that stat wrong). However, I do think there is something there. I think she surrounded her self with a shitty coach who rode her judo skills to more job opportunities but the Holmes fight and this fight especially proved he is a terrible coach and any fighter taking it seriously should not utilize him.

Honestly, I do hope she drops him and maybe her whole team and gets in with a good camp and trains and comes back. It is disappointing to see her fall so fast. Is she going to be queen of the mountain again? Probably not. However, I do think she has a shot if she fires her team and finds a better one.

The Holm fight proved what happens when Ronda matches up with someone her own size and strength. Everyone she's fought before then were weaker opponents that cut little weight to make that weight class.

Chumley

Banned
wow, didn't realize amanda tweeted that. fuck, be classy in victory.

man, watching luke thomas sum it up beautifully.

the calibur of athlete rousey is, she deserves so much better than edmund, someone that she can lean on and guide her into the right direction.

damn, feeling down now.

Can't blame her for going heel after how fucking little she got payed and how little they promoted her.

NYR

Ronda is not the physical phenom Brock is relative to the rest of the women'a roster. She's considerably smaller than Charlotte. How you gonna book her as a "beast"?

They already did at Wrestlemania. It isn't hard to give someone a "push", the industry is defined by it.

She beats down a Bella. She beats down Sasha. She whoops Charlotte. WWE Champ in 3 steps, and a heel to boot because you know she'll be booed.

SwolBro

Banned
If you listen the to the Edmond audio feed, she basically ignored everything he said. Kept telling her to move her head and clench and she didn't listen.

This isn't about Edmond anymore - Ronda has been exposed.
dude what are you talking about. she was trying to do everything he said. she was ill prepared like before. he's a terrible hack of a coach.

cordy

Banned
Charisma is not just mic work and promos. Brock has great charisma and personality in the ring. Some of the stuff he does is probably underrated in this regard.

Yep. He's got a presence about him.

Ronda doesn't, she has no charisma. All she had going for her was this big "omg she's a badass she beats bitches up" thing about her. I mean just look at her in that pic with Rock at WM. One looked like a wrestler. The other looked like a regular fan who he called to the ring.

No charisma.

NYR

dude what are you talking about. she was trying to do everything he said. she was ill prepared like before. he's a terrible hack of a coach.

She did nothing he said outside of a lame clench that Nunes got out of. She did not move her head and she did not move away when she was getting her face pushed in.

Pretty sure he's joking

Nope, not at all. Using the "coach" excuse is done, Ronda is not a top tier fighter anymore, it has a lot to do with her too. Top reddit comment on r/mma seems to echo exactly what I said:
https://www.reddit.com/r/MMA/comments/5l8by7/spoiler_ronda_corners_audio/dbtq69a/?

Seriously - he might as well have been telling "punch her" or "win the fight". Getting punched in the face ruins plans, especially for bad fighters.

They already did at Wrestlemania. It isn't hard to give someone a "push", the industry is defined by it.

She beats down a Bella. She beats down Sasha. She whoops Charlotte. WWE Champ in 3 steps, and a heel to boot because you know she'll be booed.

There is way more to it to giving her a credible push. If you think the wwe audience just plays along with whatever they are fed you haven't been paying attention. They will be salivating at the first chance to rip her apart.

You cant just book her as a "monster" when she has zero experience, no personality, and is the same size or smaller than the rest of the roster.

Lawd Jesus I need to revisit those gaf threads where people actually argued Rousey could take down Mayweather. Ole girl has a horrific stand up game.

How the fuck are you gonna be in the fight business and not move your damn head?

HOW?

That's the lesson for today GAFFERS, when someone throws a punch at you, move your fucking head!

PROSPERO ANO 2017 EVERYONE

The One and Done™;227437379 said:
I don't think we've ever witnessed such a rapid fall from grace that had nothing to do with out of ring behavior.

Yeah in MMA I've never seen anything worse. Conor put out the blueprint for a stat loss. Accept it. Go straight into the rematch, and give it all you have. A true fighter.

Ronda lost. Ran to Hollywood. Ignored everyone for a year and then gets her ass kicked again against a different opponent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom