• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC champion Jon Jones tests positive for cocaine, reportedly enters rehab

Status
Not open for further replies.
UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones failed a drug test prior to this past weekend’s UFC 182 event due to cocaine metabolites and has reportedly entered rehab.

MMAjunkie today confirmed the test results with Nevada State Athletic Commission Executive Director Bob Bennett.

Jones (21-1 MMA, 15-1 UFC) successfully defended his title for an eighth consecutive time after defeating Daniel Cormier (15-1 MMA, 4-1 UFC) via unanimous decision at the Jan. 3 pay-per-view event. He was randomly tested on Dec. 3, and results came back on Dec. 23, Bennett said.

The drug test detected benzoylecgonine, a primary metabolite of cocaine.

“At this point and time, Jones checked himself into a rehab center, and we’ll cross that bridge when he get to it,” Bennett told MMAjunkie when asked of the NSAC’s plans in wake of the failed test.

Because benzoylecgonine is not banned out of competition by the World Anti-Doping Agency, the NSAC could not halt Jones from fighting at UFC 182, which proved to be one of the biggest events in recent MMA history.

Bennett said any further comments should be directed at the UFC or Jones. UFC officials and Jones’ reps could not immediately be reached for comment.

Jones is ranked No. 1 in the USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie MMA light-heavyweight rankings, and he’s also No. 1 pound-for-pound. Despite being just 27, the fighter’s four-year title reign has already sparked debate that he’s the greatest fighter in MMA history.

Check back with MMAjunkie for further updates on this story.

For more on UFC 182, check out the UFC Events section of the site.

http://mmajunkie.com/2015/01/ufc-ch...-positive-for-cocaine-reportedly-enters-rehab

BSsBrolly

Banned
Who gives a fuck what he puts into his body if it isn't steroids?

Edit: I think it's bullshit they even test for that.

potam

Banned
An athlete used cocaine? Woah!

I'm so sick of celebrities going into rehab for PR. Assuming he's not actually an addict.

tcz3sfl6cs2m.gif

dream

Not a surprise. Bones Jones is notorious for being a partier, an adulterer, a drunk driver, and a man who loves his blow almost as much as he loves his blowies from white women who aren't his wife.

studyguy

Probably more of an image problem for the group more than anything.
I doubt they want their champions going out there represented as coked up drug addicts if he ends up getting real bad.

Does this mean Bones loses his title?

It's not a banned substance, so no, but you bet the UFC will be pushing for zero tolerance.

Because benzoylecgonine is not banned out of competition by the World Anti-Doping Agency, the NSAC could not halt Jones from fighting at UFC 182, which proved to be one of the biggest events in recent MMA history.

Bennett said any further comments should be directed at the UFC or Jones. UFC officials and Jones’ reps could not immediately be reached for comment.

Jones is ranked No. 1 in the USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie MMA light-heavyweight rankings, and he’s also No. 1 pound-for-pound. Despite being just 27, the fighter’s four-year title reign has already sparked debate that he’s the greatest fighter in MMA history.

This hurts the UFC's image though.

charsace

Probably more of an image problem for the group more than anything.
I doubt they want their champions going out there represented as coked up drug addicts if he ends up getting real bad.

Doing coke or smoking weed doesn't mean the person is an addict.

I don't know why they even test for stuff like that, but it is ok to drink though.

Cipherr

Whoa what the hell

Umm is he not in their employ? He could quit fighting with them and coke himself to death and Im sure they wouldnt care, but if you want to work for someone follow the damn rules. But more importantly is PR for the company, No way they want the bad PR of their fighters using coke. No way in hell.

Yo man, if he wants to do coke, who gives a shit? Let him do what he wants? Does coke enhance his performance at all? He's still one of the baddest men on the planet, and if he wants to do coke, that's his choice. I'm tired of this war on drugs. It's important because people give it importance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom