• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK PoliGAF thread of tell me about the rabbits again, Dave.

PJV3

CHEEZMO™;47081253 said:
Take all of a mans Hob Nobs and he'll be so scared of dying in the street that he'll be incentivised to become an entrepeneur and start up his own small business biscuit factory with a loan from his parents because everyone's mumsykins has several thousand pounds just lying around, surely.

NeoCon biscuit theory, powerful stuff.
You win, I would just sieze the McVities factory.

Hob nobs? I should be so lucky. When I was young, we had to make do with Rich Tea, and we was happy to! Folk next door didn't even get a digestive!

Arksy

What they should really do is set up a factory and export these biscuits to Australia who would be glad to have them. The first settlers did a crappy job and botched the biscuit importation because we only get a limited variety. In saying that we kind of a have a range of our own now.

We'll swap, Hob Nobs for Milk Arrowroots.

Jackpot

Banned

PJV3

it would be interesting to see the regional stats for suicide. The 80's in Manchester were fucking awful, and quite a few people I knew tried to end their lives.

But then again farmers seem to blow their heads off at any moment. So perhaps there isn't as much variability as im assuming.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
There is something altogether odd and unhealthy about proposing (however tangentially) to restrict access to Sky TV for those on benefits when the government continues to subsidise the Royal Opera House.

There is something altogether odd and unhealthy about proposing (however tangentially) to restrict access to Sky TV for those on benefits when the government continues to subsidise the Royal Opera House.

I'd argue that's slightly less odd and unhealthy when one considers the the government already subsidises the BBC, which requires naught but a TV/radio/computer and an aerial to watch.

Coxy

CHEEZMO™;47080428 said:
The campaign against the poor and vulnerable continues. Be interesting to see the suicide figures a couple of years from now.

Being unemployed and in near-poverty isn't enough, you're not allowed to spend money on things that give you a slight bit off enjoyment in your miserable life.

The worst part of things like this is how much of a success turning the poor against each other has been. That biscuit joke was right on the fuckin money.

that and the one about working in a pound shop for free

"Everything in the shop is worth a pound...except you"

I used to dislike Cameron as being a pro-establishment hack, but he's actually not that bad. I still think Michael Gove would make a much better PM.

tumblr_m8swwiZjRe1qml34n.gif
1339976398802.gif

o_O, for the record, I don't...

CHEEZMO™;47092920 said:
Whenever someone mentions the idea of a Gove PMship I'm reminded of this http://thoughcowardsflinch.com/2012...become-britains-first-fascist-prime-minister/

lol

Seems a bit tortured to suggest Gove's a fascist because he wants a single exam board for GCSE's. Aside from the fact that he's given free schools the ability to use the International Baccalaureate instead of A-Levels, somewhat rubbishing the idea that he wants the state to control education centrally, the author of that piece also seems to be making the argument that unless you're a Hayekian free marketer, you must be a fascist. He (?) compares issuing exams to issuing currency - if the former is fascist in nature, then so too is the latter. Is the author in favour of the latter? Is the Labour party? Is anyone in the Tory Party? No? Then what is he talking about?

Gove's plans are all well and good, but he's upturning too many apple carts at once and expecting more and better quality cider.

He hasn't thought about the difficulties of implementing his plans with fuck all money.

Gove's plans are all well and good, but he's upturning too many apple carts at once and expecting more and better quality cider.

He hasn't thought about the difficulties of implementing his plans with fuck all money.

Maybe he has but he - quite reasonably - expects that he only has 5 years to do anything he has to do?

defel

The government is being shockingly radical in every area of policy. You would think that during a parliament of extensive and biting spending cuts that they would try to avoid rocking-the-boat in other areas but they seem determined to leave their mark in each department. I think Cameron gives the ministers a huge amount of free reign. That makes it more difficult to hear a coherent, unified strategy - in-fact there isn't one!

Maybe he has but he - quite reasonably - expects that he only has 5 years to do anything he has to do?

Maybe I'm a softie, but I don't think its moral to fuck things up just because you are in a hurry. When it comes to education, I think cross-party consensus should be sought with all of the proposals and evidence weighed up.

A major concern of mine is that my profession is politically driven and not professionally driven. The people who know what they are talking about are being overruled in favour of ideology.

Ofsted are not independent. Every teacher knows that. How do we know that? All of the inspectors are former heads and deputy headteachers who feedback all of the information that comes down from the top. Ofsted itself is in a state of disarray and I don't think it is in a fit enough position to judge anywhere else. Its grading framework and 'foci' change more than is healthy. It makes a fair comparison between schools meaningless over 3-4 years because they were assessed differently.

Attendance was a big focus for example, now they scrapped that and are going in hard on the attainment of children on free-school meals, despite a lot of evidence saying that attainment for FSM children is not significantly different from non-FSM children in the same LEA.

What's more, Gove is using Ofsted as his pitbull to mark all of the good/outstanding schools down so they are forced to become an academy. Painfully obvious when a local school recently only got 'Good' even though it is in a seriously deprived area of the country and in the 3rd lowest ranked LEA.

100%, yes, 10% of the children from those disadvantaged children got a level 4 or above at the end of KS2. To me that is much more significant than a school in a wealthy area getting 70% Level 4. Ofsted needs to look more closely at the 'Value added' to each child's education by that specific school.

Its disgustingly depressing.

PJV3

The government is being shockingly radical in every area of policy. You would think that during a parliament of extensive and biting spending cuts that they would try to avoid rocking-the-boat in other areas but they seem determined to leave their mark in each department. I think Cameron gives the ministers a huge amount of free reign. That makes it more difficult to hear a coherent, unified strategy - in-fact there isn't one!

that's why I posted the police story.

elected police commissioners.
foreign police chiefs.
fast tracked officers.
rearranged pay and conditions.
privatisation of some background functions.

combined with a 20% budget cut.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan

That's what happens when you run a government based on nothing but ideology and being a ~true believer~. They don't give a shit about what's best, they just want to change shit to how they believe it should be, consequences be damned. No amount of studies and reports and fact-finding missions changes their mind on any of this shit. Whenever something pops up that says "Hey, maybe this is a shit idea?" they trot out some bullshit and sweep it under the rug before pushing on ahead.

Just look at who got put where in the cabinet reshuffle.

defel

CHEEZMO™;47098809 said:
That's what happens when you run a government based on nothing but ideology and being a ~true believer~. They don't give a shit about what's best, they just want to change shit to how they believe it should be, consequences be damned. No amount of studies and reports and fact-finding missions changes their mind on any of this shit. Whenever something pops up that says "Hey, maybe this is a shit idea?" they trot out some bullshit and sweep it under the rug before pushing on ahead.

Just look at who got put where in the cabinet reshuffle.

I actually think that for the most part the cabinet ministers are true believers and do care passionately about making changes. I do believe that Gove or IDS or Osbourne are honest and genuine in their actions and intentions, regardless of whether I agree with them. The problem is that someone needs to step in and stop that shit.

CHEEZMO™;47098809 said:
That's what happens when you run a government based on nothing but ideology and being a ~true believer~. They don't give a shit about what's best, they just want to change shit to how they believe it should be, consequences be damned.

And what do you think defines ones ideology, other than what they think is best? I don't think you have to agree with them to believe they want what's best.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
I actually think that for the most part the cabinet ministers are true believers and do care passionately about making changes. I do believe that Gove or IDS or Osbourne are honest and genuine in their actions and intentions, regardless of whether I agree with them. The problem is that someone needs to step in and stop that shit.

I meant true believers in their ideology, not in what's best for the people. Just look how many people in the cabinet are antithetical to the jobs they're supposed to be doing.

They don't give a shit how many millions of lives they ruin, how many treasured British institutions they dismantle. As long as they can maintain ideological Tory purity then they will do whatever the fuck they want.

Of course the more sensible answer is that they are insanely corrupt as fuck and will do the above because it will financially benefit them and their chums.
I wonder how many of them have interests in a privatised NHS, privatised prisons and probationary services, a weakened BBC and more freedom for the press to be cunts.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
that's why I posted the police story.

elected police commissioners.
foreign police chiefs.
fast tracked officers.
rearranged pay and conditions.
privatisation of some background functions.

combined with a 20% budget cut.

The police needs a severe overhaul, the Met in particular. It is rotten. Note: I am not saying that these methods are the means to achieving that.

However, privatisation has been rejected in certain cases by PCCs:

http://www.huntspost.co.uk/news/lat..._s_g4s_privatisation_plans_scrapped_1_1832214

http://www.policeoracle.com/news/Lo...sation-Plans-Halted-�-PCCs-Blamed-_51202.html

http://www.creweguardian.co.uk/news/10110275.PCC_rejects_police_privatisation_calls/

PJV3

The police needs a severe overhaul, the Met in particular. It is rotten. Note: I am not saying that these methods are the means to achieving that.

However, privatisation has been rejected in certain cases by PCCs:

http://www.huntspost.co.uk/news/lat..._s_g4s_privatisation_plans_scrapped_1_1832214

http://www.policeoracle.com/news/Lo...sation-Plans-Halted-�-PCCs-Blamed-_51202.html

http://www.creweguardian.co.uk/news/10110275.PCC_rejects_police_privatisation_calls/

They need to bed in the elected commissioners before messing around with the senior officers.

Combine an over zealous commisioner with a police chief from the USA and inexperienced fast tracked staff, and I see trouble.

Not saying any of the ideas are bad, just that it is risky to do all at once. And the Minister saying "well we have a Canadian running the bank of England", is the worst non-answer I've heard for ages.

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/being-poor-just-keeps-getting-better-2013013158217

Daily Mash said:
BEING poor is a right laugh, according to people without any money.

As it emerged that many poor people’s council tax bills are set to rise, people living in poverty responded with characteristic glee.

Unemployed Roy Hobbs said: “I love how I’m just getting poorer and poorer.

“Not having any money gives you a lot of freedom because you’re never tempted to buy anything.”

You can't argue with the facts.

PJV3

CHEEZMO™;47150164 said:
It would be redundant.

And ergo a lying thieving scrounging bastard who should get a bloody job.

:) agreed.

Actually it wouldn't work, besides Eric 'jabba the hut' Pickles, they're all so bland.

"BBC legal affairs correspondent Clive Coleman said it was a serious offence which was invariably punished by a prison sentence - usually about six months in this kind of case."

So, what are the odds he actually goes to the clink for this?

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
"BBC legal affairs correspondent Clive Coleman said it was a serious offence which was invariably punished by a prison sentence - usually about six months in this kind of case."

Pretty likely I would think. I'd guess 6-18 months (maximum is life imprisonment but that is usually for things like murder threats to witnesses).

JonnyBrad

He would have got off a prison sentence pleading guilty right from the start. He stood up in court and plead not guilty last week however so the judge will just see it as an attempt to get less time. He'll prob get 3 months in an open prison.

His career is over and Guido Fawkes is cackling.

"Having taken responsibility for something that happened 10 years ago, the only proper course of action for me is to resign my Eastleigh seat in Parliament, which I will do shortly."

Surely "taking responisbility" would have included at least a few of these:

-not speeding
-taking the points on his license
-not asking his wife to lie for him
-not having an affair
-not calling his wife and half threatening her not to come clean
-not protesting his innocence after the facts came out
-not pleading "not guilty" intitially

Richard III has more life in his corpse than Huhne's political career has.

But apparently they're both crooked!

Surely "taking responisbility" would have included at least a few of these:

His talk of "taking responsibility" certainly smacks of opportunism somewhat when he tried, at every possible juncture, to lie his way out of it. He finally admitted it when he knew the game was up. How very responsible.

PJV3

He was yesterday's man when he left the cabinet, this is the final nail in the coffin.
Besides that it's pretty uninteresting, it isn't as satisfying as J.Archers fall from grace.
A bloody dumb thing to destroy a career over, take the speeding ticket you twat.

PJV3

Exactly, no one gives a fuck about speeding. If he was all "Yeah, I speed. So what?" I think he'd gain support. Except from Lib Dems I guess, the do-gooder twats.

I can't make my mind up about this or David Laws, as the most stupid decision process in politics.

Laws took a complete non-issue and instead of just putting his hand into his considerable pockets, created an expense scandal.

Top Bottom