• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK PoliGAF thread of tell me about the rabbits again, Dave.

I can't make my mind up about this or David Laws, as the most stupid decision process in politics.

Laws took a complete non-issue and instead of just putting his hand into his considerable pockets, created an expense scandal.

I dunno, if Tony Blair had kicked out Brown early, he would probably still be prime minister

instead he left him in the treasury to spread like gangrene

I dunno, if Tony Blair had kicked out Brown early, he would probably still be prime minister

I'm half grateful - it was only Brown's general desire to undermine Blair (rather than legitimate economic concerns) that stopped us adopting the Euro.

PJV3

Blair is slimy as they come, i think he's responsible for turning Brown into the paranoid rage monster he became. That's if the events around John Smith's death are true.

Yen

Blair is slimy as they come, i think he's responsible for turning Brown into the paranoid rage monster he became. That's if the events around John Smith's death are true.
Did Blair kill him? Or do you mean the whole pact business, or what?

The commenters on Guido Fawkes are truly ghastly.

lol.

Sort of, Blair using the funeral period to lobby for the leadership, while Brown was concentrating on the funeral etc.

That's common practice in politics, isn't it? Even merited a Yes Prime Minister reference back in the day.

I'm half grateful - it was only Brown's general desire to undermine Blair (rather than legitimate economic concerns) that stopped us adopting the Euro.

Oh man, I still remember Michael Howard's amazing speech after Gordon Brown's blatantly political euro statement (four pint briefing, five point plan, six year runaround + blair goes one way, brown goes the other way and bang goes the third way).

Greatest oratory I've ever seen that was made in my lifetime.

Guy was way too far to the right for my liking though, still surprises me that he ordained the far more left wing (comparatively) Cameron.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Oh man, I still remember Michael Howard's amazing speech after Gordon Brown's blatantly political euro statement (four pint briefing, five point plan, six year runaround + blair goes one way, brown goes the other way and bang goes the third way).

Greatest oratory I've ever seen that was made in my lifetime.

That was a good speech. Here it is in full. Still worth reading even now.

The Prime Minister will pay any price to do down his Chancellor. There they sit, united in rivalry, each determined to frustrate the other, to scheme against the other and to do the other down.

And this in 2003.

Jackpot

Banned
Wow.

PH: So nice to see our entire relationship reduced to lies and pleasantries in that letter. Do you take me for an idiot? The fact you said your parents were happier as a result of their divorce was disgusting… when you were having affairs makes me sick. You are the most ghastly man I have ever known. Does it give you pleasure that you have lost most of your friends?

CH: I understand that I have really offended you but I hope that the passage of time will provide some perspective… I love you and I will be there to support you if you ever need it.

PH: You are right – the perspective involves me getting angrier with every day that goes by. You just don’t get it.

PH: We all know that you were driving and you put pressure on Mum. Accept it or face the consequences. You’ve told me that was the case. Or will this be another lie?

CH: I have no intention of sending Mum to Holloway Prison for three months. Dad

I don't get why the media are being so gentle with him. They're dropping tons of sympathetic quotes as if the whole situation was a crying shame getting in the way of a great man's career. Is it too much to ask for elected representatives who aren't lying criminals?

Wow.

I don't get why the media are being so gentle with him. They're dropping tons of sympathetic quotes as if the whole situation was a crying shame getting in the way of a great man's career. Is it too much to ask for elected representatives who aren't lying criminals?

My Spanish colleague used to be utterly amazed about our expenses scandal. He was talking about how their defence minister gave his own company a contract worth 20m euros or something, and another guy that just straight up pocketed millions. He was amazed that we cared about a £500 duck house or a few thousand for a faux kitchen renovation. Whilst I agree with you, in the grand scheme of things, I don't think we have it too bad.

PJV3

My Spanish colleague used to be utterly amazed about our expenses scandal. He was talking about how their defence minister gave his own company a contract worth 20m euros or something, and another guy that just straight up pocketed millions. He was amazed that we cared about a £500 duck house or a few thousand for a faux kitchen renovation. Whilst I agree with you, in the grand scheme of things, I don't think we have it too bad.

A lot of the expenses scandal was due to the culture of not asking for pay rises, stick it on your expenses instead. some MP's and mostly Labour it appears went completely overboard. so I'd agree that we had mostly decent politicians, who were working within a gutless culture.

Wow.

It does seem like it now.

Is it too much to ask for elected representatives who aren't lying criminals?

peter-mandelson-m.jpg

"YOLO!"

I still think we should adopt some form of roman decimatio. Randomly batter to death every 10th politician as a way of keeping the whole lot honest.

I'm half serious.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
I still think we should adopt some form of roman decimatio. Randomly batter to death every 10th politician as a way of keeping the whole lot honest.

I'm half serious.

Why go to the effort? They seem to be doing it quite successfully themselves.

EDIT: In other news, there's Scotland's proposals for independence by March 2016 if the referendum goes for a "Yes".

Interesting how the document seeks to appropriate all constitutional issues to the Scottish Parliament, and curious timing too. What, for example happens with all those Scottish Westminster MPs elected only a year earlier? What if they're part of the UK government? What the hell happens in 2015 about choosing a Prime Minister for the UK for 5 years if it is only going to be U for a year? Lot of water to go under the bridge on this one yet.

I'm in favour of the referendum, and think that it should definitely be up to the Scots to determine their own future. However, I am wary of the fact that if they do leave, the rest of the UK is more or less doomed to endless Tory governments (look at the 2010 election result map: all those red constituencies north of the border, and only one blue), and I don't really think that's a good thing.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
I'm in favour of the referendum, and think that it should definitely be up to the Scots to determine their own future. However, I am wary of the fact that if they do leave, the rest of the UK is more or less doomed to endless Tory governments (look at the 2010 election result map: all those red constituencies north of the border, and only one blue), and I don't really think that's a good thing.

Ah, but don't you think it should be up to the rest of the UK to determine its own future? If that's electing all Tories, then that's what it is.

Actually, it probably wouldn't work like that. Lopping off Scotland would give the Conservatives enough electoral space to fragment and ditch the extremists, and about time too. So no need for all the doom'n'gloom.

Yeah, that's a common misconception.

There's an interesting breakdown on it here: http://wingsland.podgamer.com/why-labour-doesnt-need-scotland/

Well, you're right of course. I just think we have a pretty decent balance as is: the progressives and liberals in Scotland moderate the conservatives of the Home Counties.

But as you say, maybe this will shake the parties up and provide a chance to shed fringe elements. Speaking of which, the gay marriage vote is in parliament today. Circa 120 Tory MPs are prolly going to vote against it but it should still pass fairly easily.

Edit: whoops, that was in response to Phi, Inc.

Yeah, that's a common misconception.

There's an interesting breakdown on it here: http://wingsland.podgamer.com/why-labour-doesnt-need-scotland/

I don't think that analysis is particularly useful. Firstly, whilst his suggestion that Scottish voting would rarely impact the composition of government might be true, the idea that the strength of a majority doesn't impact the type of government, or radicalism of policy is barmy too. A significantly stronger Labour majority (thanks to Scottish MPs) may well allow Labour to take a few rebels on the chin and get passed legislation that it otherwise wouldn't have. But on top of that, using historical data like that is basically useless on such a shifting landscape. It's prudent to note that the most recent of the two changes of government that would have resulted from Scottish MPs being absent was the most recent one. When one considers the following:

Nick-Blog-Conservative-vote-share-in-England-Scotland-and-Wales.jpg

It seems a bit ludicrous to use examples from Clement Attlee's government to make a point about the effect of removing Scottish MP's from Westminster from 2016.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
I don't think that analysis is particularly useful.

It seems a bit ludicrous to use examples from Clement Attlee's government to make a point about the effect of removing Scottish MP's from Westminster from 2016.

Indeed.

For example, without Scottish MPs the Heath Government would probably have fallen in 1972 in the confidence motion over entry to the EEC. And things would be a whole lot different.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Fantastic point about how marriage equality helps transgendered. Who was that lady?

I don't know the ins and outs of the proposed marriage bill, but I remember some peeps in the SA UK thread talking about how it could cause problems for Trans* couples if it passed. Anyone know what they were talking about?

Suairyu

Banned
CHEEZMO™;47333385 said:
I don't know the ins and outs of the proposed marriage bill, but I remember some peeps in the SA UK thread talking about how it could cause problems for Trans* couples if it passed. Anyone know what they were talking about?
The proposed strength was that if a couple married, then one changed their sex, it wouldn't automatically null their marriage, which is the current state of affairs.

PJV3

Fantastic point about how marriage equality helps transgendered. Who was that lady?

Caroline Lucas.
Former leader of the green party, and MP for Brighton I think.

Which loon mentioned polygamy?, he seems to have pissed off a lot of MP's.

Suairyu

Banned
This guy's point about not wanting equal marriage, but wanting state civil unions for all types of relationships, completely separating church and state, is something I can respect.

This guy's point about not wanting equal marriage, but wanting state civil unions for all types of relationships, completely separating church and state, is something I can respect.

But why? I mean, why even that? If you're getting rid of marriage - and I have no problem with that - why would you replace it with another form of legality surrounding ones relationships? It seems bizarre to me that it's even a legal thing. Why the government care if you're married or not? I think the government should see its citizens as individuals, not as a pairing or a group based on if they shag each other or not. Edit: Or, indeed, don't shag each other. Any arbitrary distinction you want. Just view people as individuals, whether they're "married" or not.

Suairyu

Banned
Marriage isn't religion's to play with.
I'd agree, but all I care about is equality.

So, while I support marriage for all, I'd also support redefinition of 'marriage' in law to be 'civil partnership/union', extended to all, and the word 'marriage' to simply be a colloquialism to be used by people and churches as they see fit.

It would, at the very least, completely destroy the "marriage is a religious institution" argument, as it'd no longer be about 'marriage'.

I don't give a shit about what term is used, so long as the term is equally applicable to heterosexual and homosexual relationships. You dig?

But why? I mean, why even that? If you're getting rid of marriage - and I have no problem with that - why would you replace it with another form of legality surrounding ones relationships? It seems bizarre to me that it's even a legal thing. Why the government care if you're married or not? I think the government should see its citizens as individuals, not as a pairing or a group based on if they shag each other or not. Edit: Or, indeed, don't shag each other. Any arbitrary distinction you want. Just view people as individuals, whether they're "married" or not.
The legal ability of two people to say "we're a family" and operate in law as a singular unit is important.

To be honest, I'd want that to be extended past 2-person unions, but I don't think society is ready for 3+ person unions.

My gf and I don't believe in Marriage, but would still like to benefit from the benefits of it. If the government introduced civil partnerships for heterosexual couples we would make use of it, but I don't think we will ever get married.

My gf and I don't believe in Marriage, but would still like to benefit from the benefits of it. If the government introduced civil partnerships for heterosexual couples we would make use of it, but I don't think we will ever get married.

Sure, but whether or not you want the benefits the government offers are different to whether or not the government should offer them in the first place.

Suairyu

Banned
Because people working together as one is inherently a stronger position. You can afford better housing, you take up less resources, you can create a better environment to raise the next generation etc. etc.

It's in society's interest to promote family units, whatever form they take.

kitch9

Banned

Its not a good thing that the popular party gets to run the country?

Awesome.

this made me laugh.

PH: **** off

taking all bets. he did reply piss, slag or fuck off? or maybe he went with an outsider? cunt off? shit off? dick off?

this though,

PH: Leave me alone, you have no place in my life and no right to be proud. It’s irritating that you don’t seem to take the point. You are such an autistic piece of ****. Don’t contact me again you make me feel sick.

what a cunt. :/

Because people working together as one is inherently a stronger position. You can afford better housing, you take up less resources, you can create a better environment to raise the next generation etc. etc.

It's in society's interest to promote family units, whatever form they take.

But all those are in the individuals' involved's best interests, too. Do you think a) that anyone that wouldn't normally cohabit would because of tax breaks and b) do you think that it's healthy that they do for this reason?

Its not a good thing that the popular party gets to run the country?

Awesome.

Well, the referendum might result in a literal redefining "the country" that results in a political landscape in England that takes a lurch to the right. That outcome is dissatisfying for me personally, but as you point out I can't really argue against that outcome if the Tories are the popular party in England.

So, I support the Scots' right to self determination in the referendum, but I've got to square that with the fact that it may result in a negative outcome for me, and the fact that I don't get a say in said referendum. That's the quandary that I was trying to express.

No and no.

So in what way does it encourage any of the behaviour you suggested was a social good?

In other news, my Facebook feed is alive with people saying "yay it passed but boo half the Tories voted against it, still the nasty party!" So why did it take until a Tory coalition government for it to get legislated? Where was Labour when it had an enormous majority for the last 12(-2) years? The reality that no liberal Labour party supporters seem to want to confront is that the most homophobic part of our society is not the aristocratic fox hunters - who frankly love nothing more than a bit of buggery in the barn - but the same working class Brits that they claim to represent.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
But they passed civil partnerships and basically would have passed gay marriage were it not for Blair wobbling. New Labour did shitloads for LGBT rights, more than any other at any point. What are you on about? It was one of their few generally positive social policies.

Top Bottom