• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK PoliGAF thread of tell me about the rabbits again, Dave.

Arksy

If I could summarise the UK right now it'd be 'a mess'.

Given all the crap going on right now I'm surprised it hasn't collapsed. I don't mean to be derogatory or anything but it really puts things in perspective. I'm quite saddened at the state of the UK right now.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.

Given all the crap going on right now I'm surprised it hasn't collapsed. I don't mean to be derogatory or anything but it really puts things in perspective. I'm quite saddened at the state of the UK right now.

Yeah ok thanks mate. Maybe try actually being here? That is a completely bizarre and peculiar statement. Does it have some problems? Definitely. But most people are just getting on with their lives as they have done for the last thirty years.

At least we aren't invading countries at the moment.

Maledict

That's just wierd.

Why on earth would you think it would collapse? Whatever makes you think that?

I live in an inner city london borough, has there been an apocalypse I've missed or something?

Tbf, if you live in an inner city London Borough, it is very unlikely you'd notice the apocalypse. It'd probably be wise enough to stay well away.

RedShift

Because some nutter beheaded someone? Or because the Tories are in power? It's hardly the end of the world.

Let's not go crazy, things may not be perfect but this country survived the Blitz, I think we'll survive this.

0MoTw7bl.jpg

I think the cover of this week's Big Issue is going to give me nightmares. It's like a bad acid trip or something!

Arksy

Hmmm maybe I should clarify.

I don't mean anything specific. I usually try to keep up with the news in the wider commonwealth, including Australia (where I live), the UK, NZ and Canada..but lately I've had a hard time keeping up with news in the UK. There's just so much going on recently. When I compare it to Australia or NZ I feel as if we're just this rock floating in an endless sea where nothing actually happens...oh wait.

Didn't mean to insult or anything. I'm sure it's fine. Just seems like a mess from where I'm standing.

Acorn

Haha maybe I should clarify.

I don't mean anything specific. I usually try to keep up with the news in the wider commonwealth, including Australia (where I live), the UK, NZ and Canada..but lately I've had a hard time keeping up with news in the UK. There's just so much going on recently. I just meant that I read up on all the UK news and then compare it to Australia and NZ and think that we're the most boring and uneventful place ever.

Didn't mean to insult or anything. I'm sure it's fine. Just seems like a mess from where I'm standing.

Most western countries right now are a mess due to the financial problems and the knock on effects of that.

So apparently we have some type of Guantanamo-esque secret facility at Camp Bastion in Afghanistan where people are being held indefinitely without trail. And Phil Hammond is telling me, when asked how many people we're holding, "more than we would like to". That sounds pretty ominous.

PJV3

So apparently we have some type of Guantanamo-esque secret facility at Camp Bastion in Afghanistan where people are being held indefinitely without trail. And Phil Hammond is telling me, when asked how many people we're holding, "more than we would like to". That sounds pretty ominous.

I don't think we're locking them up for years like Guantanamo, I fucking hope not anyway.

It sounds like a temporary measure after being attacked etc, we should be letting the Afghans deal with this stuff by now.

Jackpot

Banned
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-22703605

Boris Johnson calls for a Thatcher college at Oxford

Boris Johnson says Oxford University should set up a college in honour of Margaret Thatcher to make up for not awarding her an honorary doctorate.

In 1985, Oxford academics refused the honour to the former prime minister in protest at her education policies.

Gross.

I don't think we're locking them up for years like Guantanamo, I fucking hope not anyway.

14 months with no charges. :(

f0rk

If they are handed over to the Afghan government they will probably be tortured, some farmer sued us when it happened to him. Apparently Australia is doing it as well. If they are let go they just keep fighting. Pretty shitty situation

It sounds like a temporary measure after being attacked etc, we should be letting the Afghans deal with this stuff by now.

Well, I say it sounds ominous firstly because Hammond is reticent to say exactly how many we're holding, and secondly because they've been denied access to legal counsel (apart from two of the detainees who got their first phonecalls to a lawyer this lunchtime), which sounds like something you might do when you're pretty sure what you're doing might just be illegal.

14 months with no charges doesn't fall within the most generous definition of temporary. Wouldn't that be illegal for periods longer than, what, 24/48 hrs in this country?

PJV3

Well, I say it sounds ominous firstly because Hammond is reticent to say exactly how many we're holding, and secondly because they've been denied access to legal counsel (apart from two of the detainees who got their first phonecalls to a lawyer this lunchtime), which sounds like something you might do when you're pretty sure what you're doing might just be illegal.

14 months with no charges doesn't fall within the most generous definition of temporary. Wouldn't that be illegal for periods longer than, what, 24/48 hrs in this country?

Yeah, I didn't realise some were being kept that long. It sounds like the Army don't want to keep them, the politicians need to get their fingers out.

Acorn

Isn't it 40 days or something here for suspected terrorists? Everyone else is 48 hours max I think.

Arksy

Just saw that the EC is taking the UK to court due to denying EU citizens welfare benefits.....

Do they want the UK to leave? God damn.

Just saw that the EC is taking the UK to court due to denying EU citizens welfare benefits.....

In fairness, the court shouldn't be making political decisions. If that's the law, we should be taken to court for it. Whether that's something we as a country are happy with is something for us to decide, not the court.

I'm sure it was going to be 90 under blair and then was wittled down to 28 or 40 in the commons barely passing. Not sure if it was Cameron or Brown that put it back down.

Cameron. Brown tried to increase it to 90 days in the 2010 wash up, but the Lords slapped him down.

Nicktendo86

This news come out yesterday but I've not seen it posted, OECD has further cut forecasts for EU growth to -0.6% and UK growth to 0.8%. Blamed slower UK growth due to cuts but said they were needed.

Just more proof in my opinion that the Eurozone is pretty much fucked, Europhiles always point that most of our trading is with the EU but we have a deficit with the EU and our growth looks like it is picking up whilst the EU as a whole is going backwards, surely this is more evidence that we should be relying less on trade with the EU and need to really focus on other markets?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22700029

France actually got the worst of it, the OECD downgraded them from +0.3% to -0.3%, our downgrade (0.9% to 0.8%) looks tame in comparison.

There is something up in France, the official statistics don't match up with our proprietary data or other publicly made private data. INSEE are definitely fudging the numbers, unemployment is probably a couple of principle points higher and GDP is likely overstated by around 1%. At least going by our proprietary data and the other publicly available indicators.

As far as I can tell the logic goes like this:

We signed up to free movement of people throughout the EU.
People come here from other countries of the EU.
They want / need benefits.
Not giving them benefits in a situation where a UK national would get them is discriminatory.
Discrimination on the basis of nationality is illegal.

Which all seems to follow. However, administering social security isn't a competency of the EU. All countries agreed that they would administer their own social security nationally.

Nicktendo86

France actually got the worst of it, the OECD downgraded them from +0.3% to -0.3%, our downgrade (0.9% to 0.8%) looks tame in comparison.

There is something up in France, the official statistics don't match up with our proprietary data or other publicly made private data. INSEE are definitely fudging the numbers, unemployment is probably a couple of principle points higher and GDP is likely overstated by around 1%. At least going by our proprietary data and the other publicly available indicators.

I know next to nothing about all of this but that sounds pretty bad for the EZ, even Germany seem to be slowing down with growth?

I know next to nothing about all of this but that sounds pretty bad for the EZ, even Germany seem to be slowing down with growth?

Germany is slowing down, France is in recession, Netherlands is in recession, Austria has slowed down, Belgium is stagnating, and the south is just destroyed. The main EMU nations are all fighting a losing battle. The solution is either to make up or break up. The former option will require some kind of internal transfer union where richer nations will basically hand over hundreds of billions to the ECB who will then dole it out to poor nations where it will get squandered. The latter would be devastating to the world economy. I think the US will come through unscathed since their internal market is relatively big, Japan should be fine but the Yen will appreciate and that will cause a bunch of problems for corporations. Britain would be fucked. F U C K E D fucked. Our banking sector would fall and the government would be forced to step in, that would overextend the government balance sheet and then the vultures would come and pick off the pieces until we default. If the EU can eke out another year before breaking up then we might be okay because the banking sector is reducing exposure to EMU nations not called Germany quite fast, but even then it will be a tough few years.

Interesting times ahead...

kitch9

Banned

They've started saying our hoovers are too powerful also and that all new ones should be only 50% the power of what they currently are.

Seriously, my mind is full of complete fuck at the moment.

PJV3

They're also threatening the Spanish for withholding public healthcare to EU citizens. I'm sure it isn't personal.

They've started saying our hoovers are too powerful also and that all new ones should be only 50% the power of what they currently are.

Seriously, my mind is full of complete fuck at the moment.

To be fair they're tackling energy greedy vacumn cleaners, power to us should be about cleaning ability not electricity consumption. i don't think we will he lumbered with terrible hoovers, just more efficient ones.

Nicktendo86

Interesting times ahead...
Fuck, sounds bad. By the former option of richer countries handing over billions I guess Germany would be pretty much the only one left, especially if France carry on the way it is. I can't see Germans on the ground really getting behind that idea so break up seems the more likely option, in which case we are all fucked. Ummmm very interesting times ahead. This euro project really has been a clusterfuck hasn't it.

PJV3

Fuck, sounds bad. By the former option of richer countries handing over billions I guess Germany would be pretty much the only one left, especially if France carry on the way it is. I can't see Germans on the ground really getting behind that idea so break up seems the more likely option, in which case we are all fucked. Ummmm very interesting times ahead. This euro project really has been a clusterfuck hasn't it.

Rushed and half baked.

I'm pro the concept of a single currency, but it should come at the end of a long process of integration. If it takes a hundred years to get right, then wait a hundred years to launch it.

Germany needs to shit or get off the pot, they have done very well out of the Euro.

Clusterfuck indeed.

Right on time. Reuters has an exclusive that the FTT or so called Robin Hood tax is going to be dramatically scaled back from 0.1% on all transactions on shares, derivatives and bond trades to 0.01% on share trading. Mimicking our own Share trading stamp duty.

The yield has gone down from €35bn (LOL) to €3.5bn, seems rather pointless to me, but whatever. We're not involved in this, but even so it's such a lolworthy situation. Time and again the British and Swedish governments have warned against it and finally they took our advice and scaled it back to being just about worth implementing but not destructive enough to kill EMU banking.

In all of this I'm sure Britain and Sweden will be made out to be the bad guys and Barrosso will go on TV and say it was all our fault because we have the biggest financial sector in Europe and because we didn't agree it was unworkable etc... Hateful cunt.

kitch9

Banned
They're also threatening the Spanish for withholding public healthcare to EU citizens. I'm sure it isn't personal.

To be fair they're tackling energy greedy vacumn cleaners, power to us should be about cleaning ability not electricity consumption. i don't think we will he lumbered with terrible hoovers, just more efficient ones.

So they cut the power of hoovers by half and it takes twice as long to hoover your house?

Mission accomplished!

Arksy

In fairness, the court shouldn't be making political decisions. If that's the law, we should be taken to court for it. Whether that's something we as a country are happy with is something for us to decide, not the court.

I'm not accusing the Court of impartiality or making a political decision. I'm accusing the EC of making a needlessly provocative move. The law is indeed the law. But we're talking about a voluntary union here, and therefore such a move could push the UK, who are already contemplating an exit, towards the exit door.

Nicktendo86

So they cut the power of hoovers by half and it takes twice as long to hoover your house?

Mission accomplished!
It seems like there should be bigger things to worry about than power hungry hoovers like oh, I do t know, the financial mess of the eurozone...

PJV3

So they cut the power of hoovers buy half and it takes twice as long to hoover your house?

Mission accomplished!

No(hopefully) I don't want it getting harder either.
Crappy motors stop being used, the limit is low but not crazy low. And as a bonus we save electricity and money.

It seems like there should be bigger things to worry about than power hungry hoovers like oh, I do t know, the financial mess of the eurozone...

Different people doing different jobs, it's got nothing to do with the financial crisis.
That is down to National governments to sort out in the end.

If only our own government had the power to legislate on hoover power consumption.

Hoover power consumption is not something that's ever going to bother anyone that much, but I have no idea why that's legislated on an EU level. Personally, I think it should be up to people how efficient they want their hoover to be, but whatever, I don't really care - but why is it legislated in a pan-European sense? This isn't cross-border infrastructure or joint military training operations.

Arksy

No(hopefully) I don't want it getting harder either.
Crappy motors stop being used, the limit is low but not crazy low. And as a bonus we save electricity and money.

Different people doing different jobs, it's got nothing to do with the financial crisis.

*Obtuse argument alert* Hoovers and olive oil should be the realm of national parliaments as well.

PJV3

If only our own government had the power to legislate on hoover power consumption.

Hoover power consumption is not something that's ever going to bother anyone that much, but I have no idea why that's legislated on an EU level. Personally, I think it should be up to people how efficient they want their hoover to be, but whatever, I don't really care - but why is it legislated in a pan-European sense? This isn't cross-border infrastructure or joint military training operations.

*Obtuse argument alert* Hoovers and olive oil should be the realm of national parliaments as well.

Because it's part of environmental policy, which we all share.
Even if we leave the EU I would still hope for that kind of cooperation.

Keep your shitty hoovers then, miserable buggers. :p

I think the olive oil rule is now off the table (awful pun), I'm not sure though.

But... why? There's no virtue to us sharing that policy. If the limit they've set is a scientifically "good" limit then that's great, but there's no reason to think the EU legislature is more likely to get to that "good" limit rather than our own, national parliament. Would it be a problem is Poland's was slightly higher, and Germany's slightly lower? It seems like an issue where "cooperation" is utterly irrelevant to the quality of the policy enacted.

Arksy

Because it's part of environmental policy, which we all share.

Keep your shitty hoovers then, miserable buggers. :p

I think the olive oil rule is now off the table (awful pun), I'm not sure though.

I mean, sure you can argue that this sort of stuff is linked to environment or single market issues but the EU isn't the first nor will it be the last central government with enumerated powers to ever speciously argue that it has such powers.

For example the Federal Government used the interstate commerce clause to pass the Civil Rights Act. In Australia the Federal Government used the corporations power to regulate workplace relations/industrial relations/employment law.

These policies just seem like power grabs rather than reasoned and prudent environmental policy. Nor are they really addressing a huge societal wrong like the Civil Rights Act and the Fair Work Act.

I also fear that this may blow up in the UK a bit further. Aren't Hoovers part of your national identity now? Isn't there a bit of pride associated with the brand? You guys use hoovers to describe all vacuum cleaners, we don't do that even in Australia.

PJV3

Thought as much, I was only being half serious :p

lol.(it's fine, I must be bored)

It feels like the Jeremy Clarkson fan club in here today, I need comrade Cheezmo back to share the burden, and get off the subject of bloody hoovers.

I'm going to Dyson the stairs later, its 200 watts over the limit and the guilt is crushing me. *hugs tree*.

@ Arksy.

They (whoever decides these things) have done it with a range of electrical appliances, in a common market it makes sense to have a single standard, for safety, environment etc. I know what the old British Kite mark was, but I couldn't say what the German, French or Greek equivalents were.

They even changed the ingredients on the back of toiletries to Latin, it's educational going to the Khazi these days.

Jackpot

Banned
Yet another MP on the take.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22727903

The fake company, Alistair Andrews Communications, claimed to lobby on behalf of Fijian business interests for Fiji to be re-admitted to the Commonwealth.

Fiji's membership was suspended in 2009 amid criticism of its human rights' record and lack of democracy.

The programme says Mr Mercer agreed to set up a Fiji All-party Parliamentary group.

He says he agreed to undertake consultancy work outside Parliament.

But he also tabled five parliamentary questions, which were all answered, as well as an Early Day Motion.

Under parliamentary rules, politicians are required to declare publically money that they receive other than their parliamentary salary.

But the BBC's Iain Watson says some paid work should not be undertaken at all.

For example, MPs should not be paid to ask a parliamentary question, table a motion, introduce a bill, table an amendment to a motion or a bill, or urge colleagues or ministers to do so.

But Conservative MP Zac Goldsmith said it highlighted the need for voters to get powers to force by-elections: "If it's bad enough for you to resign from your party, how can it be OK to continue representing constituents at all? Where's that recall?!" he wrote on the Twitter website.

His call was echoed by his backbench Tory colleague Douglas Carswell.

But Conservative cabinet minister Eric Pickles said Mr Mercer had done "the right thing" and it was for the parliamentary authorities to carry out an investigation.

A Conservative spokesman said: "The prime minister is aware. He thinks Patrick Mercer has done the right thing in referring himself to the Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards and resigning the whip.

Arksy

I love the idea of recall. Would definitely straighten MPs up if they knew their shit would actually cause them to lose their job.

Top Bottom