• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK PoliGAF thread of tell me about the rabbits again, Dave.

Acorn

But Conservative cabinet minister Eric Pickles said Mr Mercer had done "the right thing" and it was for the parliamentary authorities to carry out an investigation.

Is it even possible for Pickles to not be an absolute cunt in everything he does? I can't think of one redeeming feature or policy or hell even a comment I've ever agreed with.

Mercer is a bit of a nut anyway, I don't think Cameron would be sad to see him go.

Not so sure. It would mean a by-election in a very UKIP vulnerable seat. I could even see Farrage standing in it to get the maximum number of NOTA and Con voters out on the day.

PJV3

Not so sure. It would mean a by-election in a very UKIP vulnerable seat. I could even see Farrage standing in it to get the maximum number of NOTA and Con voters out on the day.

Sorry, I meant on a personal level. if i remember correctly they don't like each other at all.

RedShift

Sorry, I meant on a personal level. if i remember correctly they don't like each other at all.

According to the BBC article Cameron fired him from his shadow cabinet for making racist comments. He sounds like exactly the kind of shit Cameron is desperate the detoxify the Conservative brand from.

Arksy

Yup. My only fear is that it could potentially lead to even more short termism than now.

It doesn't in Switzerland, or Canada. It should be noted that in both cases there have been no successful attempts at recalling the legislature and executive. There have been several in the US.

It's more valuable for the psychological effect it plays on elected representatives. They should always act at the behest of people and I strongly reject that the people are irresponsible and don't know what's best. I therefore don't think it would result in more short-termism. People aren't really given much responsibility and it makes sense that people don't act that responsibly when it comes to politics.

I would argue that Switzerland is the most democratic state in the world, and its citizens barely ever make rash or 'populist' decisions. There have been one or two but it's rare and they're responsible and don't blatantly vote for spending increases without increasing tax. They give the people legislative powers and they start acting like a legislature.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Is there a running tally of how many Cons and Libs have been done for being villainous bastards up to no good during their term? I've never known (what I perceive) as this number being so high before.

Watching the nonchalant Mercer footage was just hilarious.

Arksy

You guys should remember that with 650 members in the HoC and 800 members of the HoL you guys are bound to get a few more scandals than places where we have 200 legislators total.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Got back from an anti bedroom tax protest in Manc (mixed with a bit of AntiFa stuff). Organised by the Trots but still great fun!

Acorn

Is there a running tally of how many Cons and Libs have been done for being villainous bastards up to no good during their term? I've never known (what I perceive) as this number being so high before.

Watching the nonchalant Mercer footage was just hilarious.

New Labour probably holds that distinguished honour. Or maybe Majors govt.

Wes

venison crêpe
Mail on Sunday reporting "No.10 rocked by secret love affair."

David Cameron has held crisis talks at Downing Street after being told of allegations of a sensational love affair which has potentially significant political implications for him.

For legal reasons, The Mail on Sunday cannot disclose the identities of the people involved or any details of the relationship – even its duration – other than that they are middle-aged figures. The affair has now concluded.

But this newspaper can report that when aides told Mr Cameron the identities of the alleged lovers he was ‘stunned’, and, according to sources, ‘immediately realised the importance of the story’.

The Prime Minister and his aides also discussed the possible fallout should details of the affair become public – and how such disclosure could ‘blow out of the water’ any major political set pieces planned by No 10.

Wes

venison crêpe
I haven't got a clue, every fucker in politics is middle aged, unless it's a Royal story.

Possibly, but I think the scant details that were mentioned in the article would have been more focused on rocking the country than just the PM.

If it's got the potential to destroy anything on the PMs agenda it has to be two from the cabinet surely?

PJV3

Possibly, but I think the scant details that were mentioned in the article would have been more focused on rocking the country than just the PM.

If it's got the potential to destroy anything on the PMs agenda it has to be two from the cabinet surely?

I suppose a love affair across the dispatch box could ruffle feathers, or a gay affair maybe, the Turnip taliban are a bit sensitive about gay issues at the moment.

I don't think anybody really cares about affairs anymore, even Blunkett got a bit of action. Its a laugh trying to think of something that would stun Cameron though.

Arksy

I don't understand how long they're going to be able to keep this story under wraps.

Why is it legally withheld anyway? Makes zero sense.

Nicktendo86

I have a feeling he mail is going a bit hyperbole over this story bit if is really is something that could affect the legislative program it can't just be a cabinet minister, it would have to be something that would endanger the coalition.... Interesting...
Edit: just read the mail on Sunday article. It says the affair does NOT include serving me members of the cabinet. Who the hell could it be?

Jackpot

Banned
Another UKIP MEP goes off the deep end.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/473545/20130601/lee-riby-marty-caine-idots-ukip.htm

BLrAnpUCIAAYnRB.png:large

I would imagine, if it involves a member of the media, it'd need to involve more than just Coulson. Whilst he did work for the Tories, he was basically a (right leaning) gun for hire. That'd hardly rock the government.

I can't think of anyone that is that important but not in the cabinet. The only two things I can think of are that it's either an old-school Grandee in the Lords who has little day-to-day importance but a reputation that could be ruined or... well, the other option is someone who's already had a public affair, who's a very senior Tory and public figure, and the only person that fits both of those criteria who's not in the Cabinet...

Acorn

Can't a paper up here do what the Scotsman did with the Ryan Giggs affair and publish?Since we have Scots law up here.

Benefits crackdown is going great...

Degrading back-to-work welfare assessments that are stripping former soldiers of their benefits have been denounced by leading veterans’ charities.

Thousands of ex-servicemen are being pushed to the breadline after being judged fit for work by the government-appointed company Atos. Severely wounded veterans from Iraq and Afghanistan, who were once entitled to incapacity benefits, are being told they no longer qualify under new assessments carried out by Atos on behalf of the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).

Danny Greeno, chief executive of the Veterans Charity, said: “It is becoming an unbearable situation. It should not be happening to people who have served their country. The people doing these assessments need to be properly qualified.”

Lance-Corporal Mark Dryden, 35, who lost his right arm when a roadside bomb went off in Iraq, was awarded incapacity benefit in 2008 but had it withdrawn this year under the new system. He described the assessment, in which he was asked by Atos whether he was right-handed, as “totally and utterly degrading.”

Mr Greeno added: “Many of these people are already on the breadline. The majority are suffering with post-traumatic stress disorder. All they want to do is work but they cannot. The challenges they are facing are completely different to other people who are out of work and they need a lot more support.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...iates-disabled-army-war-veterans-8633610.html

Acorn

I can't even think of how to deal with ATOS, scrapping it seems off the agenda for the main parties.

Didn't the tories just give them the contract for the dla replacement?

Also when I worked for the MOJ Atos handled pretty much everything computer related. They are balls deep in with the govt.

EDIT- Also Atos handled the pre employment health checks too...

Acorn

Tenner bet all they do is the same as they did for cancer patients. Waive them through whilst fucking everyone else.

I can't even think of how to deal with ATOS, scrapping it seems off the agenda for the main parties.

The past government and the current one have rewarded them for failure. It speaks volumes about the competency of those awarding the contracts, Ministers and civil servants.

Acorn

The past government and the current one have rewarded them for failure. It speaks volumes about the competency of those awarding the contracts, Ministers and civil servants.

Ministers see anyone kicked off benefits as a plus regardless of the minimum 5k required for a tribunal that nearly always follows. And then backpay and interest if they lose.

Ministers see anyone kicked off benefits as a plus regardless of the minimum 5k required for a tribunal that nearly always follows. And then backpay and interest if they lose.

That money will come from the MoJ though, so the DWP are more than happy to be as aggressive as possible because all it costs them is the possible interest payments. A lot of the time they will set aside money for backpayments anyway so that comes from a separate provision anyway.

It's the nature of all government's "if my department pays less then that's good" nevermind that the costs for other departments add up to more than is saved.

Acorn

That money will come from the MoJ though, so the DWP are more than happy to be as aggressive as possible because all it costs them is the possible interest payments. A lot of the time they will set aside money for backpayments anyway so that comes from a separate provision anyway.

It's the nature of all government's "if my department pays less then that's good" nevermind that the costs for other departments add up to more than is saved.

I know, I worked in the MOJ's finance department for a short term contract after I left lloyds haha

The biggest expense related to tribunals aside from Judges, Doctors and disability members (often a disabled member of the civil service) is dodgy lawyer firms.

We had one up in Dundee who would send us documentation 3 times, so we had to pay £90 in legal aid (£30 Per document). They would fax us it, email it and post it, we got it stopped for around a month but then they started doing it again.

PJV3

Banning them from operating in the UK would be a nice start.

Yeah I'd agree with you, but like Zomg says the main parties don't seem to give a fuck, they keep paying them so nothing is going to happen.

They can pretend it's nothing to do with them, even though its cruel and error prone.

RedShift

Can't a paper up here do what the Scotsman did with the Ryan Giggs affair and publish?Since we have Scots law up here.

It sounds like it isn't just being blocked to not hurt people's feelings, it's being blocked because it could prejudice the result of some trials going on.

Lance-Corporal Mark Dryden, 35, who lost his right arm when a roadside bomb went off in Iraq, was awarded incapacity benefit in 2008 but had it withdrawn this year under the new system. He described the assessment, in which he was asked by Atos whether he was right-handed, as “totally and utterly degrading.”

I don't really want to defend Atos too much, as there have been plenty of horror stories about their assessments on here. But with regard to this particular quote, is that not a pertinent question when assessing how fit to work someone is? i.e. whether the hand they lost was their dominant hand.

Top Bottom