• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK PoliGAF thread of tell me about the rabbits again, Dave.

Volotaire

Think I might be voting Lib Dem in the locals. Labour haven't got a chance here in Chichester and I'm still an anyone-but-the-Tories voter.

Undecided on the Euros; on the one hand I don't want to see UKIP come first so Labour make some sense... on the other hand the Libs are a bit closer to me ideologically. Tough call.

I'm looking more at what the priority MP's of each party in my ' constituency' have offered /can offer, then take it from there to a party level then to the EU party level in terms of overall idealogical goals. Since the priority MP's are the most likely to get the 'win' due to the PR system in place, its best to look at what they are going to do.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27201397
  • Almost 80% of UK adults consume some BBC network news output each week
  • The BBC is seen as a very high-quality news provider
  • Younger viewers are proving harder to reach
  • Some parts of the audience find the BBC "distant" both in tone and subject matter. Some want a broader agenda and a greater variety of tone, and more engaging storytelling
  • Audiences expect more from current affairs at the BBC. Many believe the quality of investigative journalism is higher on Channel 4
  • Current affairs programmes, such as Panorama, need to be "scheduled, promoted and signposted" in a way that "maximises potential impact"
  • The BBC needs to be responsive to change, especially new technology and new habits of consuming news
  • The report also found an appetite among some audiences for a wider international agenda and greater depth and coverage of lesser-known places

Nothing too surprising in the new BBC review report.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Just looked up candidates for the EU elections. Very disappointed that the Conservatives have four out of their six candidates from outside the South West constituency - sounds like they are taking the piss rather.

And only one candidate (the sixth-place LibDem one) from Gibraltar, which for some strange reason counts as part of south west England for this election.

The other parties have at least made a decent attempt to have most of their candidates have addresses in the area.

Yen

So yeah, Stormont voted 51-43 against Equal Marriage. The DUP had already launched a Petition of Concern blocking it regardless. This sucks. This issue won't possibly be sorted until the 2016 NI Assembly Elections, but even then, what indication is there that people would vote the DUP out of office? Unionist politicians continue to either: a) be nutjobs or b) be influenced by nutjobs, and despite this people continue to vote along the same lines as always.
Should also be noted that the UUP are clearly on the way out, being led by an inept former TV presenter, and they'll surely merge into the DUP (officially or unofficially) in the near future.
TL:DR, the NI Assembly is dominated by bigots and we're fucked (basing this on the fact there is no effective governing, but that's a rant for another day).

For the sake of balance, after this rant, I feel it's worth pointing out I am not a nationalist, just in case you get the impression I am only furthering the 'us v them' nature of NI politics.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Hmm, I don't think he'll try it. No amount of boost from the European Elections is going to net them an extra ~14,000 votes in one constituency. I imagine he'll be waiting until next year's General Election.

Don't want to be dubbed a failure right around a time when you are expecting to triumph. Especially when Farage is UKIP.

Europe rejects UK's financial transaction tax challenge

Europe's top court has rejected the UK's challenge to the introduction of an EU financial transactions tax (FTT), which ministers have said will damage British firms.

The European Court of Justice (ECJ) said the UK could not block the levy on trades on the grounds that it would affect London's banks.

The FTT will be adopted by 11 EU states, but not by the UK.

UK ministers have also argued the cost of the tax will be passed to savers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-27218615

Somewhat ironic that the UK is trying to block something via the ECJ that other EU countries are doing amongst themselves.

[edit]
more at
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-27218615

what level would you suggest? The higher/bigger the level the better. I see no chance of this happening at any larger level so we are currently stuck on EUro level.

But there are 28 countries in the EU and only 11 are adopting it. There's no - no - virtue to adopting a tax that doesn't stop the behaviour you're intending to curtail whilst hurting you financially. Especially when it doesn't even include the financial capital on the EU. All it does is make it harder for banks to trade with each other and force them to give more money to governments even before they have made a profit - for example, RBS lost over £8bn last year. A FTT would have seen them paying tax when they aren't even making any money.

Actually, Georgey boy himself does a bang up job of ruining it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYye0zZ3fH4

Edit: This is actually a good example of Osborne looking and sounding vaguely like a human.

But there are 28 countries in the EU and only 11 are adopting it. There's no - no - virtue to adopting a tax that doesn't stop the behaviour you're intending to curtail whilst hurting you financially. Especially when it doesn't even include the financial capital on the EU. All it does is make it harder for banks to trade with each other and force them to give more money to governments even before they have made a profit - for example, RBS lost over £8bn last year. A FTT would have seen them paying tax when they aren't even making any money.

Heaven forbid...
win/losses cannot just be balanced against each other.

Heaven forbid...
win/losses cannot just be balanced against each other.

I don't understand how you think that taxing transactions rather than profit is a good idea in any way. The list of negatives of this tax is absolutely enormous, and it's main benefit appears to be "Grrr, bankers!" The fact it's being applied across only 11 countries is just the farcical cherry on top.

I don't understand how you think that taxing transactions rather than profit is a good idea in any way. The list of negatives of this tax is absolutely enormous, and it's main benefit appears to be "Grrr, bankers!" The fact it's being applied across only 11 countries is just the farcical cherry on top.

from the first page I opened, none other than the FT
Financial trading is undertaxed relative to the rest of the economy, in large part because the industry is exempt from value-added tax. Along with the profits banks derive from trading, this encourages excessive trading. It not only creates needless costs to pensioners and savers, it also undermines financial stability. This can be seen in the unnecessary activities of high-frequency traders. These are biased towards contrarian trades – they buy when others sell – and so they provide liquidity, but at a time when liquidity is plentiful. In times of market disruption, they try to get ahead of the trend, draining liquidity when it is needed most, such as before the “flash crash” of May 2010.

Further, when the financial system is working smoothly, few worry about the huge number of offsetting trades (for example, via derivatives) that are built on top of small exposures. But when the music stops and counterparties can no longer be trusted, it is these gross exposures that bring down the banks. In a number of different ways, this small tax on churning would limit some of these activities and help to refocus the financial system on to its purpose of the safe financing of real economic activity. Believers in the true purpose of finance – the funding of genuine economic activity – should embrace the FTT.
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/ba8e4232-c79b-11e2-9c52-00144feab7de.html#axzz30MxZtd33

Walshicus

Actually, Georgey boy himself does a bang up job of ruining it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYye0zZ3fH4

Edit: This is actually a good example of Osborne looking and sounding vaguely like a human.

Kind of looks like it *will* work if old Giddeon is opposing it. Speculators can speculate elsewhere; good on the 11.

That article seems odd. Firstly, doing many transactions are not somehow more volatile than doing less; Au contraire, in fact, it's the other way around. Financial trading is "undertaxed" compared to VAT because it isn't like any other good or service that attracts VAT (which, in fact, is exactly why VAT isn't applied to it now). There are already levies on share trading which is akin to VAT, because they're typically held for the long and medium term. I don't think a tax can be justified on the grounds that other things are also taxed; There needs to be a justification for why it is taxed, not why it isn't. Disincentivising certain behaviour really isn't good enough, because...

Kind of looks like it *will* work if old Giddeon is opposing it. Speculators can speculate elsewhere; good on the 11.

... they will do it elsewhere, and the UK won't be any more protected as a result. When Lehman fell over, it was of no comfort to the UK that few of their customers were in the UK. What we will be, however, is down a number of jobs and all the other various secondary benefits of having rich people and companies in the country. We aren't France - we shouldn't dislike people for having money, especially when they're spending it here. Canary Wharf (and all the architects and construction workers and barristers and prostitutes and coke dealers and train drivers and all the other people whose jobs only exists because of the sector they service, not to mention the tax revenue on the profit they make (And the profit derived from all these secondary activities)).

But don't take my word for it! If have a gander at the George video (I do assume neither of you watched it - you should though, it was hosted at EU offices! Exciting!) and the European Commission itself thinks this will harm to the EU economy to the tune of almost 2%. That's not nothing. And given the volume of this sort of activity that occurs in the UK, you have to assume that this average will fall more harshly in the UK. What part of this is a good idea, again?

Nicktendo86

Labour should be ashamed of themselves

Evening Standard said:
Labour was today accused of “silly tricks” after fielding three local election candidates in one ward with the same name as a sitting councillor.
Bexley Tory Teresa O’Neill said she was shocked to find that the Labour candidates standing against her were all also called O’Neill. She claims it is a plot to trick people who want to back her into voting for a rival candidate.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/poli...to-fight-tory-with-the-same-name-9305102.html

Bo-Locks

Nobody knows how to deal with UKIP lol.

This article on the Guardian is pretty damn hollow, has over 2500 comments and I'd say that over 90% of them are supportive of UKIP and heavily critical of the article.

With all the recent slam pieces about racist posters, candidates, misleading posters etc, the polls have them increasing their lead to 38%.

BmahnTsIQAAJzQx.jpg:large

Cameron actually had a legitimately good criticism of Labour today in PMQs that I agreed with. That being for as much as Miliband will whine about how much of a disaster the Royal Mail privatisation was (which it was) he'll most likely not re-nationalise it if they get a majority in 2015, like Blair with the railways.

Maledict

Cameron actually had a legitimately good criticism of Labour today in PMQs that I agreed with. That being for as much as Miliband will whine about how much of a disaster the Royal Mail privatisation was (which it was) he'll most likely not re-nationalise it if they get a majority in 2015, like Blair with the railways.

To be fair there's a very good reason behind that - the railways were basically smashed when privatised, and re-nationalising them was almost impossible at the time due to the way privatisation had been done. Much of what's happening right now with the NHS bears the same hallmarks - the changes being implemented are such that reversing them becomes incredibly difficult for the next party in.

Given that even Major has said privatising the railways was a disaster, I don't hold much faith in the post office's future!

Empty

i think he's just being a good opposition leader - making sure the government faces real scrutiny and is forced to properly justify its policies and can't get always away with sloppy governance

which is a separate role to leader of the labour party seeking government, in which he has to concern himself with whether its worth expending the significant political capital (and real capital, for that matter) to bring back the royal mail under government control compared to their other priorities. which i think is a perfectly decent question and he isn't just misleading the electorate by promising it then ignoring it (yet).

I made hundreds out of the RM privatisation, so I think it was jolly good.

Meanwhile, this week Labour have been hovering around 5-6 points above the Tories in national (not European) polls.

Nicktendo86

So labour put out a press release saying the rics supports their rents ceiling, rics has says they don't and in fact think the opposite. Wtf is going on?

Rent controls are absolutely barmy. The problem isn't that rent is too high just because, it's because supply isn't keeping up with demand at all. Delist some greenfields, loosen up regulation on what you can build (or otherwise incentivise local councils to give them the nod) and allow a flood of new builds to bring down rents AND housing prices (or, at least, stop them growing so fast).

Maledict

London is the only major western city without rent controls, even the states has them. To call them balmy seems to dismiss out of hand a lot of what goes on elsewhere.

Building new houses isn't the instant win option either - firstly the sheer amount of housing that would be required for London is impossible to provide. Secondly, even now councils run into big problems trying to provide affordable housing - look at the failure of multiple authorities to be able to provide decent housing due to the builders getting round the planning laws.

London is the only major western city without rent controls, even the states has them. To call them balmy seems to dismiss out of hand a lot of what goes on elsewhere.

Not really of the sort that Miliband is planning, though - they don't have price ceilings, and they rarely apply to all properties. Most are just limits on how much they can rise, and even then the cost of improvements can be passed onto the tenants. Furthermore, countries like Germany also have far more liberal planning laws in the first place. The problem we would have is that rent controls - which even Krugman says are widely understood to negatively impact the construction of new houses - would simultaneously decrease supply (or rather, diminish its ability to meet demand) whilst actually increaseing demand (because rents would be lower than otherwise, at least initially). The cause of the high rent is not enough houses, and this attempt to fix a symptom would actually increase the original problem.

Building new houses isn't the instant win option either - firstly the sheer amount of housing that would be required for London is impossible to provide. Secondly, even now councils run into big problems trying to provide affordable housing - look at the failure of multiple authorities to be able to provide decent housing due to the builders getting round the planning laws.

Well, "required" is a bit of a grey area, right? I mean, how much does London require? It supports as many people as it has, obviously - else it wouldn't have them. It's already supplying them, it's just that the properties are more expensive and, typically, smaller than most people would like. So any increase (and thus lowering of rent compared to without that additional supply and/or increase in size) is to be encouraged. I think the idea of affordable housing is a little dodgy, though, because any increase in supply will lower costs. The people that move into the new builds have to move out of somewhere else. The people that replace them in their old homes have to move from somewhere else too, etc. Again, a lot of this is eaten up by immigration (and I don't just mean international, but from other parts of the UK to London) but again, we have to compare it to what it'd be like without the new houses rather than a magical land where the population is stagnant. Finally, it's also worth noting that "affordable housing" is only affordable for one generation - as soon as someone buys the property, it's theirs - there is no ceiling on what they can sell it for, or set rate at which its value changes, because its value is defined by what someone's willing to pay.

I can't really think of any downside tbh.

On the subject of housing, how about making London a double-decker city? Like Shanghai in Deus Ex: Human Revolution:

Problem solved

Oh no. There might be a Sector-7-plate-crash incident over the majority of South London. Whatever will we do... Damn you, Avalanche!

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Rent Controls should be a very popular policy for a lot of people, particularly younger professionals. It is a no-brainer, really. Hell, even Tim Stanley in the Telegraph is praising Labour for it.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Rent Controls should be a very popular policy for a lot of people, particularly younger professionals. It is a no-brainer, really. Hell, even Tim Stanley in the Telegraph is praising Labour for it.

I'm not at all sure about it.

Trouble is, it is a big disincentive to anyone entering the rental market. Those same young professionals, when their parents die, will have a choice as to whether to sell their parents' property for a quick buck or to rent it out for a continued income. If renting is sufficiently profitable then all of a sudden there's a another rental property on the market, but not if there are rent controls - or even the threat of rent controls. And people dying is a big source of property on the market.

Rent controls incentivise large-scale "slum" landlords and a squeeze (at least in popular places like London - less so in, say, Bridgwater) on the number of properties available to rent. The absence of rent controls incentivises small-scale private letters and competition between them.

I'm lucky here, we have a thriving rental market. Suits me just fine. I don't want someone to spoil it.

pulsemyne

Trouble is, it is a big disincentive to anyone entering the rental market. Those same young professionals, when their parents die, will have a choice as to whether to sell their parents' property for a quick buck or to rent it out for a continued income. If renting is sufficiently profitable then all of a sudden there's a another rental property on the market, but not if there are rent controls - or even the threat of rent controls. And people dying is a big source of property on the market.

Rent controls incentivise large-scale "slum" landlords and a squeeze (at least in popular places like London - less so in, say, Bridgwater) on the number of properties available to rent. The absence of rent controls incentivises small-scale private letters and competition between them.

I'm lucky here, we have a thriving rental market. Suits me just fine. I don't want someone to spoil it.
Most landlords own more than one property though. Bloke I know was running 15 houses. There are very few 2-3 house landlords.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.

Firstly, I think your example of dealing with properties when parents die is a minor issue that will not affect a significant amount of people. More properties need to be built anyway and I think Labour have explicitly said that they would look to do so (of course they have nothing set in stone, yet).

Secondly, I think focusing on the effect of rent controls on the supplier of properties is missing the point significantly. Most people - rightly in my view - do not care about who owns the property that they are renting so long as it is good value and the landlords are reasonable (small or large scale). If something can visibly keep pricing reasonable then that is enough. Obviously what 'rent controls' actually are instituted need to be regionally adapted.

Lastly, I didn't actually say they were a good idea, but that they should be popular. Rent, like tax, is a very visible and obvious way in which people see their money disappearing every month. Therefore I would speculate efforts to limit it would be popular (in the same way that lower taxes are popular).

jimbor

Banned
Finally, it's also worth noting that "affordable housing" is only affordable for one generation - as soon as someone buys the property, it's theirs - there is no ceiling on what they can sell it for, or set rate at which its value changes, because its value is defined by what someone's willing to pay.

Affordable housig usually applies to shared ownership (I think!) and there are all sorts of rules in place to do with selling when you've had enough, in order to make them 'affordable' for other buyers.

The fact that most of the stuff labelled as 'affordable' in London can be upwards of £500k shows how ridiculous the system is.

Yeah well I'm getting drunk in my hotel bar in Sevilla because it's the only bit of the hotel with free WiFi. It's 27 degrees right now, and it's half 10 at night on the first of May. This is madness. No wonder everyone south of Calais is so bloody lazy. Seriously what the fuck. Definitely shorts and flip flops at work tomorrow. I wonder if my room has air con? Also, hotel literature suggests that we have a pool on the 1st floor but I've seen head nor tail of it. I found the gym though, greeeaaat.

Top Bottom