• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK PoliGAF thread of tell me about the rabbits again, Dave.

Nicktendo86

Affordable housig usually applies to shared ownership (I think!) and there are all sorts of rules in place to do with selling when you've had enough, in order to make them 'affordable' for other buyers.

The fact that most of the stuff labelled as 'affordable' in London can be upwards of £500k shows how ridiculous the system is.
Our block is new, affordable housing. 5 flats out of the 30 (including mine) are shared ownership, the rest are council tenants.

jimbor

Banned
Our block is new, affordable housing. 5 flats out of the 30 (including mine) are shared ownership, the rest are council tenants.

I think that's the exception rather than the norm, unless council houses have been demolished to make way for the new development. Personally, I think new council houses should be built en masse. That has to be better than lining the pockets of private landlords with housing benefit.

Honestly, I don't think so. I think that our first ethnic minority PM is more likely to owe his or her heritage to South-East Asia (India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka etc) than Africa/the Carribean etc. But even then, we're a way off. We haven't had many ethnic minorities in positions of power and authority that weren't PM yet. Then again, I guess we hadn't with women either before Thatcher, so maybe I;m being a silly face.

Honestly, I don't think so. I think that our first ethnic minority PM is more likely to owe his or her heritage to South-East Asia (India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka etc) than Africa/the Carribean etc. But even then, we're a way off. We haven't had many ethnic minorities in positions of power and authority that weren't PM yet. Then again, I guess we hadn't with women either before Thatcher, so maybe I;m being a silly face.

Yeah, I think the bolded is a good bet. I mean, we've just got our first (I think?) ethnic minority cabinet member with Sajid Javid, and he's of Pakistani descent.

Wouldn't that be Sayeeda Warsi?

Possibly, I put the "(I think?)" in there because I'm not sure. But I do remember everyone making a big deal about Sajid Javid's appointment as the "first ethnic minority ______". I thought it was cabinet position...

Edit: I guess as far as my point goes it doesn't matter, since Baroness Warsi is also of Pakistani descent.

Sneds

Possibly, I put the "(I think?)" in there because I'm not sure. But I do remember everyone making a big deal about Sajid Javid's appointment as the "first ethnic minority ______". I thought it was cabinet position...

Edit: I guess as far as my point goes it doesn't matter, since Baroness Warsi is also of Pakistani descent.

You're right with the edit.

But Warsi did precede Javid in the Cabinet - 2010 vs 2014. According to Wikipedia he was 'the first MP to have been elected in 2010 to join the Cabinet, and the first British Asian MP to lead a Government Department' which may have been the big deal you were talking about.

You're right with the edit.

But Warsi did precede Javid in the Cabinet - 2010 vs 2014. According to Wikipedia he was 'the first MP to have been elected in 2010 to join the Cabinet, and the first British Asian MP to lead a Government Department' which may have been the big deal you were talking about.

Aye, that's probably what I was thinking of.

I don't really see why we shouldn't allow incest marriages tbh. Or anything. I really don't understand why we're all OK with the state regulating marriage. From a "love" point of view it has nothing to do with the state, and from a legal perspective (inheritance, next of kin etc) there's no reason why it shouldn't be a brother or a sister. I've always been of the view that marriage shouldn't be the state's to define, which is why I think that gay marriage, whilst better than no gay marriage, is simply the liberation of one specific minority.

kmag

I don't really see why we shouldn't allow incest marriages tbh. Or anything. I really don't understand why we're all OK with the state regulating marriage. From a "love" point of view it has nothing to do with the state, and from a legal perspective (inheritance, next of kin etc) there's no reason why it shouldn't be a brother or a sister. I've always been of the view that marriage shouldn't be the state's to define, which is why I think that gay marriage, whilst better than no gay marriage, is simply the liberation of one specific minority.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inbreeding

Yeah, thanks. Me and my sister have loads of sex, as it happens. In fact, we have four kids with downs. We're not married, though.

Edit: My point, in case it was lost in a torrent of vomit, was that the link between children and marriage has been more or less confined to the dustbin of history. Furthermore, it raises slightly worrying questions about coupled who aren't related but who both have inheritable traits that have a strong chance of leading to conditions. I don't think many would suggest they be banned from marriage (or even having kids), though many would warn them against it and perhaps point them towards adoption. Inbreeding is a pretty poor argument against incestral marriage.

Edit: I'm doubling down. A second edit! O! Here's a quote from everyone's favourite American substance abuser Doug Stanhope:

"If marriage didn’t exist, would you invent it? Would you go “Baby, this shit we got together, it’s so good we gotta get the government in on this shit. We can’t just share this commitment ‘tweenst us. We need judges and lawyers involved in this shit, baby. It’s hot!"

Nicktendo86

Well, there really is a defence force for everything on gaf. in-breeding is not a good argument against incestual marraige? Really?

I can kinda accept your argument from the view that it shouldn't matter who you love you should be able to do so freely and marry them, I agree, but marrying your brother or sister is just too far.

kmag

Yeah, thanks. Me and my sister have loads of sex, as it happens. In fact, we have four kids with downs. We're not married, though.

Edit: My point, in case it was lost in a torrent of vomit, was that the link between children and marriage has been more or less confined to the dustbin of history. Furthermore, it raises slightly worrying questions about coupled who aren't related but who both have inheritable traits that have a strong chance of leading to conditions. I don't think many would suggest they be banned from marriage (or even having kids), though many would warn them against it and perhaps point them towards adoption. Inbreeding is a pretty poor argument against incestral marriage.

That'll be why the act of incest itself is illegal. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prohibited_degree_of_kinship
The link between procreation and marriage isn't as clear cut as before but the link between marriage and sex is still relatively strong one would think. Incestual marriages are illegal because the act of incest itself is still illegal.

Nicktendo86

Anyway, in other news, yougov has the Labour lead down to just one point today. I know there is a margin of error blah blah but I think it is clear as day now that the polls have narrowed, and one year away from the election that is really exciting. I really can't call it.

That'll be why the act of incest itself is illegal. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prohibited_degree_of_kinship
The link between procreation and marriage isn't as clear cut as before but the link between marriage and sex is still relatively strong one would think. Incestual marriages are illegal because the act of incest itself is still illegal.

Which, imo, is also wrong, but that's neither here nor there, I think. Let's prosecute people who break the law in a court, and not restrict the freedom of people who don't, eh?

In other news, what does everyone think about Pfizer and AZ? Do you think the government has a responsibility to stop British companies being bought out from overseas if it contravenes certain policy objectives? If so, under what circumstances do you think it's reasonable for the government to tell private business owners who they can and can't sell their property to?

Nicktendo86

I think governments should try not interfere as much as possible in business except when large jobs are at stake such as here. The Tories also have some conflict of interest questions to answer with links to Pfizer.

However, I think Cameron's response in the commons today was sensible, they are keeping an eye on it and should keep the Cadbury sale in mind.

Edit: I'm doubling down. A second edit! O! Here's a quote from everyone's favourite American substance abuser Doug Stanhope:

"If marriage didn’t exist, would you invent it? Would you go “Baby, this shit we got together, it’s so good we gotta get the government in on this shit. We can’t just share this commitment ‘tweenst us. We need judges and lawyers involved in this shit, baby. It’s hot!"

britain has a large pakistani community, a community that engages in rampant first cousin marriages and usually have sizeable families. Families increasingly filled with seriously ill children and wracked with rising infant mortality.

It's a grotesque practice in which every fibre of the human body tells us to not participate.

britain has a large pakistani community, a community that engages in rampant first cousin marriages and usually have sizeable families. Families increasingly filled with seriously ill children and wracked with rising infant mortality.

It's a grotesque practice in which every fibre of the human body tells us to not participate.

Well it sure sounds like our laws are doing a good job of stopping that problem.

Hello there, peoples!

Common a question it may be... Who is going to win at 2015? Seriously, every site that I have seen is utterly vague on this slightly important detail. Is it seriously impossible to tell, or something?

pulsemyne

Hello there, peoples!

Common a question it may be... Who is going to win at 2015? Seriously, every site that I have seen is utterly vague on this slightly important detail. Is it seriously impossible to tell, or something?

Most likely Labour with a slim majority (about 30 maybe less). The current polls all seem to point to this.

Hello there, peoples!

At this point I don't know, I have to agree with pulsemyne and say that a slim Labour majority is the most likely outcome, it wont be 1997 all over again but it'll probably give Miliband enough breathing room to implement his manifesto barring a large backbench revolt.

I was starting to think that the odds were stacked ever so slightly in Mister Miliband's favour. He seems like the type of man who'd do better in Government rather than in the opposition anyway.

I have a feeling that the Tories will win back a lot of the votes lost to UKIP and sneak in with a minority.

A study is showing that UKIP's drop after the EP-election could be less severe than in previous EP-elections.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-27306444

I would say everyone is vague about who will win, because no one can know for sure. A lot (!) can change in the course of a year.
With enough good economic news till then the Tories could well strengthen their position, on the other hand two months of bad news ahead of the election can easily make the mood swing.

there's like no purpose of going after clegg. he's already done.

this is just kinda obnoxiously smug and outside of preaching to the choir with cartoon tories it makes david cameron look politically savvy and like a strong leader (which is his strength compared to miliband). pretty disappointing.

I think this is firmly aimed at the stay-at-home Labour supporters, though - the kind of people that are Labour through and through but are so uninspired by Miliband that they'd rather watch TV than actually vote for him. For those people, reminding them of the alternative - those posh-boy Tories - might be a better strategy than trying to appeal to them on an intellectual, pre-distribution (?!) platform.

Nicktendo86

I think this is firmly aimed at the stay-at-home Labour supporters, though - the kind of people that are Labour through and through but are so uninspired by Miliband that they'd rather watch TV than actually vote for him. For those people, reminding them of the alternative - those posh-boy Tories - might be a better strategy than trying to appeal to them on an intellectual, pre-distribution (?!) platform.

I've seen two Labour PPBs lately and neither had Milliband's face anywhere near them. They clearly know he is a weak link. Still laughing that he said he wants to end Punch & Judy politics and then his party put this shite out.

Best thing the Tories can do is plaster his face everywhere and remind people if you vote Labour, you will get this goon as PM.

I've seen two Labour PPBs lately and neither had Milliband's face anywhere near them. They clearly know he is a weak link. Still laughing that he said he wants to end Punch & Judy politics and then his party put this shite out.

Best thing the Tories can do is plaster his face everywhere and remind people if you vote Labour, you will get this goon as PM.

If Labour keep picking on Clegg, I suspect the Lib Dems will do that for them (as we've seen by their rebuttal there). If the Lib Dems do the dirty work, the Tories can try and stay statesmanlike a la their 2010 manifesto cover (Even if it looks a bit like an A-Level text book) and take as much credit for the economy as possible. The other parties can scrap away in the gutter. But that relies on the Lib Dems doing that, which I don't think they'll be silly enough to do.

Not sure who I'm voting for in the next election except that it won't be Miliband.

Will never vote for anyone who was in government when the 10p tax was passed and didn't resign

pulsemyne

The tories plastered Camerons face everywhere in the last election, didn't seem to affect people voting for that dribbling moron.

The tories plastered Camerons face everywhere in the last election, didn't seem to affect people voting for that dribbling moron.

Pfft. Cameron is a pretty good performer (As is Nick). He's statesmanlike, he does well under pressure, he can sit on This Morning's sofa without looking like a nutter and him and Sam Cam look good in their Daily Mail weekend supplement photo shoots. As a politician, he's a reformer and social liberal in a party known for its racists and homophobes. He might not quite be an "asset" (in the way Nick Clegg was in 2010 for the Lib Dems) but he's certainly not an electoral liability.

Ideally the modern conservative party should range between Clarke and Cameron.

I don't think there should be any place for people at the spectrum of Dorries and Bone

Ideally the modern conservative party should range between Clarke and Cameron.

I don't think there should be any place for people at the spectrum of Dorries and Bone

I'm paraphrasing a popular joke here, but as a Liverpudlian Tory, Dorries is one of the few in the party that appreciate what it means to be a minority in modern Britain.

Nicktendo86

So it turns out Milliband declined a meeting with Pfizer as he was 'too busy' with the euro election campaign, despite saying that the takeover bid is of national importance.

Edit: oh and he has been reported to the standards commission for failing to declare he received a donation from Astra.

Top Bottom