• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK PoliGAF thread of tell me about the rabbits again, Dave.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
killer_clank said:
From the Telegraph. What the shitting fuck. I wish we still had the lol smiley.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/financ...ax-based-alternative-to-the-alternative-vote/
What the fuck. Suggesting that sort of thing personally offends me. Thanks for bringing that to my attention so I can rage about it a little more!

Ed: I mean, seriously. What if my minimum wage job puts me under the tax threshold? I wouldn't be able to vote? Go eat a bag of dicks, Ian McCowie.

I found the article quite funny.. I kept thinking "I hope this is tongue in cheek". But then when you read his economic arguments, you just start to think... what?

Anyhoo, I just got in trouble in work for emailing 34 of our staff with YES to AV electioneering stuff. I'm civil service so we're meant to be impartial... I figured as it was a party-neutral / non-partisan issue that it would be okay, but apparently not. We're not allowed to use IT systems for political use at all.

Got to be one of the coolest reasons I could have gotten in trouble for today though!

Empty

killer_clank said:
From the Telegraph. What the shitting fuck. I wish we still had the lol smiley.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/financ...ax-based-alternative-to-the-alternative-vote/

i'm not sure what's worse, the utter contempt for the fundamental principles of democracy and the plight of the legitimately unemployed, the way he conventionally allows exceptions for the tory supporting pensioners yet ignores people who could have contributed for decades but have been laid off, or the bizarre and tortured attempt to explain the credit crunch through pro-flat tax insanity.

radioheadrule83 said:
I found the article quite funny.. I kept thinking "I hope this is tongue in cheek". But then when you read his economic arguments, you just start to think... what?

Anyhoo, I just got in trouble in work for emailing 34 of our staff with YES to AV electioneering stuff. I'm civil service so we're meant to be impartial... I figured as it was a party-neutral / non-partisan issue that it would be okay, but apparently not. We're not allowed to use IT systems for political use at all.

Got to be one of the coolest reasons I could have gotten in trouble for today though!

No offence, but I find this sort of thing really irritating. My facebook feed is filled with people exhorting me/others to vote X or Y; my vote should come from my own appraisal of the topic at hand, not the suggestions of friends/colleagues.

Chinner

Banned
SmokyDave said:
Needs stronger measures. >£5,000 annual income tax + >120 I.Q. = Vote.
a better measure would be seeing how they traveled to vote: >You're disqualified if you took the bus/walked. also need to have a penis bigger than 7 inches when flacid.

Meatpuppet said:
No offence, but I find this sort of thing really irritating. My facebook feed is filled with people exhorting me/others to vote X or Y; my vote should come from my own appraisal of the topic at hand, not the suggestions of friends/colleagues.

None taken. To be honest, I'm usually the same, and if I wasn't fearing that people may have had their heads turned by what I believe to be lies, I wouldn't be talking to people about it today at all.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Well, that was a rather pleasant voting experience. Moved house last year, so now get to vote in the bar of the local cricket club.

Not going to get into any of this blame game stuff until after the results are in.

Chinner said:
a better measure would be seeing how they traveled to vote: >You're disqualified if you took the bus/walked. also need to have a penis bigger than 7 inches when flacid.

UKs lowest turnout ever confirmed
Political parties to pander to Ben Dover and 9" Omar

phisheep said:
Well, that was a rather pleasant voting experience. Moved house last year, so now get to vote in the bar of the local cricket club.

Not going to get into any of this blame game stuff until after the results are in.

My polling station is in a pub that has been converted into an Indian Restaurant. It still looks like a pub on the outside, and still serves beer on the inside. So I might have a curry and a beer while I'm there!

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Empty said:
i'm not sure what's worse, the utter contempt for the fundamental principles of democracy and the plight of the legitimately unemployed, the way he conventionally allows exceptions for the tory supporting pensioners yet ignores people who could have contributed for decades but have been laid off, or the bizarre and tortured attempt to explain the credit crunch through pro-flat tax insanity.

What's worst of all is the (unfortunately increasingly common, and cross-party) assumption that the only contribution any of us make to society is financial contributions to the Treasury.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The voting slip felt rather bare especially considering the large amount of space they allocated for the words "Yes" and "No".

Noticed someone had doodled a Voltorb and Pokeball in my booth.

Meadows

Banned
Update: (69 voters, big increase)

Locals:

Labour: 39.4% (26)
Lib Dems: 24.2% (16)
Conservatives: 13.6% (9)
SNP: 9.1% (6)
UKIP: 4.5% (3)
Green: 3% (2)
SDLP: 3% (2)
Independent: 1.5% (1)
Plaid Cymru: 1.5% (1)
N/A: 4

First Green votes, strengthening of Labour lead, Conservatives dropping really far back, No BNP votes.

AV:

Yes: 77.9% (53)
No: 22.1% (15)
N/A: 1

First UKIP voter to follow party lines, first SDLP voter to vote NO, first person to vote in the election but not the referendum (they voted Green)

(Wales & Scotland only) Regionals:

SNP: 37.5% (6)
Labour: 18.8% (3)
Liberal Democrats: 18.8% (3)
Conservatives: 12.5% (2)
Plaid Cymru: 12.5% (2)

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
radioheadrule83 said:
My polling station is in a pub that has been converted into an Indian Restaurant. It still looks like a pub on the outside, and still serves beer on the inside. So I might have a curry and a beer while I'm there!

The Great British way :)

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
DECK'ARD said:
I'm assuming we'll get exit polls on both tonight?

I imagine that we will - but not going to put too much faith in exit polls for the AV referendum, as I expect very significant differences locally/regionally - exit polls will probably overstate the No vote overall.

BGBW said:
The voting slip felt rather bare especially considering the large amount of space they allocated for the words "Yes" and "No".

Noticed someone had doodled a Voltorb and Pokeball in my booth.

Hopefully a person familiar with changing the combat order of Pokemon would be amenable to a preferential voting system like AV.

Mr. Sam

Just voted yes. I was unsure but then got into a debate with some friend of a friend on Facebook who was claiming if I voted AV I was letting the BNP into Parliament!!!!1 I left a lengthy response that makes me look like an incredibly pedantic prick in front of everybody. A yes vote is my revenge. Not very good revenge, but revenge nonetheless.

Meadows

Banned
I've got a funny feeling that YES might win here. Even though the polls say NO will win, I've been getting a very pro-YES feeling from anecdotal evidence/the polls on here. My parents, both (economically, not socially) Conservative voters, are voting YES, and everyone I know but two people are voting YES.

Also, the polls on here show a 78.7% support for YES. I realise that on the whole we aren't representative of the whole country, but that much of an overwhelming majority cannot be simply put down to "well it's kids on the internet", I mean it's a pretty decent sample (76 people so far) and we've had a good, two-sided debate about AV here that has coloured people's opinions.

I've got a feeling it isn't gonna be cut and dry for NO.

edit:

oh, and another reminder, vote on my GAF voter intention survey here! It's quick, and you don't need to register:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/KVDTPX3

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Meadows said:
I've got a funny feeling that YES might win here. Even though the polls say NO will win, I've been getting a very pro-YES feeling from anecdotal evidence/the polls on here. My parents, both (economically, not socially) Conservative voters, are voting YES, and everyone I know but two people are voting YES.

Also, the polls on here show a 78.7% support for YES. I realise that on the whole we aren't representative of the whole country, but that much of an overwhelming majority cannot be simply put down to "well it's kids on the internet", I mean it's a pretty decent sample (76 people so far) and we've had a good, two-sided debate about AV here that has coloured people's opinions.

It's gonna be a no landslide. There's no way YouGov, ComRes, etc are off by 20 plus points. Get the disappointment over with now.

Meadows

Banned
Sage00 said:
It's gonna be a no landslide. There's no way YouGov, ComRes, etc are off by 20 plus points. Get the disappointment over with now.

low turnout can be a strange thing my friend, it can very rapidly change poll results.

JonnyBrad

Meadows said:

You can't read much into a poll conducted on here as the demographic is far too "Young adult male" In general young people tend to be more liberal/left leaning. I buck that trend because i happen to be conservative thinking but hey.

There are legions of Tories in this country who will be voting No on this no matter what the arguments. Anecdotal evidence or not. Yougov/Mori etc aren't just pissing in the wind they try to account for things such as demographic/turnout in particular areas.

I fully expect a no vote tomorrow. The pollsters never get it wrong by the swing there would need to be. Or no one would use them.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Sage00 said:

I wouldn't be so sure. The results from that latest ComRes poll, for example, came from only 442 adults. Remember that the - usually accurate - General Election polls are usually based on detailed polling in key marginals - but for the AV referendum we have no idea what regional and local influences are going to be.

Too early to call.

kharma45

Voting done.

AV - No

Northern Ireland Assembly (Foyle) - DUP 1, SDLP 2, 3, 4

Council Elections (Derry) - SDLP 1, DUP 2, UUP 3.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Thing is the referendum has been completely politicised though. Tories will overwhelmingly vote No, and Labour has been split and sent a completely mixed message. Lib Dems might not even leave the house and just cry bitter tears. Local elections also skew the age of voters upwards, who are more likely to vote for no change.

There's no reason for local variations on a totally separate issue. Technically it's too early to call, but everything points to a landslide for No. I will still keep a bit of naive hope alive, but expecting the worst.

And any chance of electoral reform killed for probably a decade :(

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
DECK'ARD said:
Thing is the referendum has been completely politicised though. Tories will overwhelmingly vote No, and Labour has been split and sent a completely mixed message. Lib Dems might not even leave the house and just cry bitter tears. Local elections also skew the age of voters upwards, who are more likely to vote for no change.

There's no reason for local variations on a totally separate issue. Technically it's too early to call, but everything points to a landslide for No. I will still keep a bit of naive hope alive, but expecting the worst.

And any chance of electoral reform killed for probably a decade :(

I disagree.

You think about the voting system and you naturally think of how it will work in your constituency - people in strongly safe seats will tend to see that it won't make a difference, so why change; people in marginals will think more about the various ramifications and depending on their electoral preferences may be persuaded to a Yes or a No.

So there's every reason for local variations. Same with regions - I'd expect a stronger Yes vote in the LibDem stalwart South West for example.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
phisheep said:
I disagree.

You think about the voting system and you naturally think of how it will work in your constituency - people in strongly safe seats will tend to see that it won't make a difference, so why change; people in marginals will think more about the various ramifications and depending on their electoral preferences may be persuaded to a Yes or a No.

So there's every reason for local variations. Same with regions - I'd expect a stronger Yes vote in the LibDem stalwart South West for example.
That makes no sense to me. People naturally want the party they vote for to win, so they'll want them to win the most number of seats (unless you actually think people vote on local issues, ignore national parties and a constituency link still exists in this day and age, a thought made ridiculous by the mere existence of whips). As you've said, what happens in the marginals matters to everyone, since it heavily influences the overall result, so why wouldn't the voting system used in those marginals and how it would affect them be relevant to everyone?

MLH

Voted at about 9:30 this morning, there wasn't many people and only 7 people had voted since 7am:
Constituency: Halton
Local: Labour
AV: Yes

I've swayed someone at work from voting No.

I explained to him what the values are of Yes. He said he was scared of all the fringe parties getting elected, and I said isn't that what elections are for? That's true democracy. But I further said the No campaign is about a lot of F.U.D and they haven't really had a campaign of trying to push the benefits of FPTP (at least in my eyes)

Sad thing is I probably won't vote. I work in London and live in Luton and I was late getting out the door today and will be late getting back in. :(

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/polit...ponents-face-daily-mail-dilemma-201105053778/

AV opponents face Daily Mail dilemma

MILLIONS of decent, honest Britons today face the troubling prospect of being on the same side of an argument as the Daily Mail.

Across the country people who have a principled opposition to voting reform wept into their toast after realising that on some level their brain was in tune with the brain of Paul Dacre.

Martin Bishop, from Stevenage, said: "I like first past the post because it makes it easier to kick out bad governments. Now, however I am forced to assume it must be pure... fucking... evil.

"I guess Britain under AV will somehow make carefully worded racism, sneering misogyny and nauseatingly immoral scare mongering more difficult or less profitable."

Emma Bradford, from Finsbury Park, said she was worried AV would give greater influence to extremists but could not understand why this would be a problem in any way whatsoever for the Daily Mail.

She added: "Maybe Dacre is actually trying to get me to vote for AV in a way that does not involve him having to publicly agree with people he thinks are communist child molesters.

"The old double blufferoo. He's a wily fox, that one."

But Jane Thompson, from Peterborough, said: "If AV meant more power for the BNP then Dacre would hate that because then Britain would be the way he wanted it rather than the way it is, which currently makes him an awful lot of money."

She added: "I just feel that voting reform is not the priority right now and that instead we should focus on having more MPs who aren't, you know, fuckers."

Bill McKay, from Stevenage, said: "I think the simplest thing from my point of view is to vote against AV and then kill myself.

"It keeps everything nice and neat and I won't have look in the mirror and see my pathetic, shitty, Daily Mail-agreeing-with face.

"Jackpot."

I didn't realise how few referendums there'd actually been...

There were five during New Labours government - and only four before that. None of them have been on election reform. All of the ones carried out by New Labour were with regard to the devolution of powers in Scotland, Wales, Greater London and Belfast.

Before that there was only:

• 1973 - Northern Ireland sovereignty referendum (remain part of UK)
  • 1975 - EC membership referendum (yes)
  • 1979 - Scottish devolution referendum (no)
  • 1979 - Welsh devolution referendum (no)

So there's actually no real precedent for this... I would love for all the pollsters to be wrong. I am praying that they are in fact!

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Yep, and only the 1975 one on the EC membership was a national one (remember that because I was just too young to vote at the time). And even then it was merely afffirming existing legislation, wasn't binding, and was supported by the majority of Labour and Tory front benches in what was essentially a two-party system.

So, no real precedent at all. Should be fun.

mclem

Done my bit. Polling station seemed a bit quiet, but it's not really peak time. And 'round here it's only the referendum, no local elections to get people out and about.

pootle

Just got back from voting (in Glasgow maryhill and springburn for the record) and there must only have been 30-odd names before mine.

Disappointed the turnout is so low to be honest.

louis89

I'd have voted (Conservative + No), but I'm registered 70 miles away and didn't get the proxy vote or postal vote forms in by the deadline. :(

Carl

Placed my vote.

This ward is silly. Choice for voting?

3 Tories
1 English Democrat
3 Independents

Seriously. Anyway, already told you i voted independent and no on the referendum.

JonnyBrad

Meadows said:
any exit polls?

You won't see them until after the polls are closed afaik. The telegraph are saying the beeb have one but they can't release it until the polls are closed for obvious reasons.

Meadows

Banned
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-13292204

I was just thinking, doesn't this job make him a really easy terrorist target?

Couldn't someone who wanted to kill him just find out when he's working (surveillance on RAF Valley) and then pretend to get trapped on a mountain and then blow him up/shoot him when he comes to get him?

Not too sure why someone would do it or anything, it just seems strange that's he's so vulnerable.

JonnyBrad

Meadows said:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-13292204

I was just thinking, doesn't this job make him a really easy terrorist target?

Couldn't someone who wanted to kill him just find out when he's working (surveillance on RAF Valley) and then pretend to get trapped on a mountain and then blow him up/shoot him when he comes to get him?

Not too sure why someone would do it or anything, it just seems strange that's he's so vulnerable.

wrong thread?

If people are interested in PoliGAF live chatting of results:

Sky News go on air at 10:30 with a results show, BBC at 11:30 (but with QT at 10:30 until then).

AV result will be around 8pm Friday rather than today.

Probably stay up until the first raft of Scottish Parliament declarations, and see how exciting it is. Luckily I have nothing to do tomorrow.

Wish I had energy drinks though...

Top Bottom