• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK PoliGAF thread of tell me about the rabbits again, Dave.

Dambrosi said:
The European Court of Human Rights has nothing to do with Europe. Okay then.

It's true, well at least with the EU. However since the ratification of the Lisbon Treaty you cannot be a member of the EU without also having membership of the ECHR. In all honesty we wrote the damn convention, I just find it galling that our judiciary can be be dictated to by some tinpot judges from Eastern Europe who were related to the human rights crimes of their previous Soviet masters.

The HRA that most right wingers rail against really only allows our judges to make decisions based on the ECHR without having to defer to the Court itself or sending the case to Strasbourg. The issue is that the ECHR takes supremacy over our own laws and after the HRA it is much easier to challenge rulings. Phisheep is a barrister and knows much, much more about this than us...

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
zomgbbqftw said:
I just find it galling that our judiciary can be be dictated to by some tinpot judges from Eastern Europe who were related to the human rights crimes of their previous Soviet masters. ...

The issue is that the ECHR takes supremacy over our own laws and after the HRA it is much easier to challenge rulings.

To be fair, our judiciary also gets dictated to by superbly eloquent judges from Malta who quite rightly put us in our place (see various judgments of Judge Bonello for example).

Besides, the only real impact of the Human Rights Act is that litigants can bring their case in the English courts rather than having to wait two or three years to get to the ECHR - and if it were repealed the only impact would be to delay or deny justice, not to change it. And if that ever came up in court I would be right onto the Magna Carta "To no one will we sell, to no one deny or delay right or justice".

On the other side I find it galling that our government, of whatever flavour, can claim to be able to trample on fairly basic human rights and then claim that is the fault of some treaty or other that they can't do it rather than recognising it was a stupid thing to do in the first place.

It isn't like there's anything particularly contentious in the convention after all. Pretty well all of the fuss generated seems to come from overcautious or overzealous interpretations from government agencies and local authorities, and that is all our fault, not anybody else's.

Dambrosi said:
Damn, that's confusing.

Too right it is. I was teaching this stuff only two years ago and I still had to look it up.

A lot of the controversy is about article 8, and for whatever reason our judges and judges on the continent feel that it carries more weight that any other part of the convention. Criminals and illegals have been abusing article 8 for years and no one really knows what to do. I am in favour of reform to the HRA and ECHR so that article 8 is given a lower priority in absolute terms without any ambiguity.

Otherwise I think having a charter that outlines the freedoms that we can expect as human beings is a good thing, I just think some of them are ridiculous. A right to a family life should not be considered universal and law breakers should not expect the same treatment as those who abide by it. Though that is my personal opinion and I wouldn't expect government policy to match it...

louis89

Sir Fragula said:
I keep saying this, but we English need an Alex Salmond of our own. A progressive, positive politician who will speak up for England while being humble enough to recognise that there is a lot we can learn from abroad.
Why? The entire UK revolves around England. Why do we need any more representation?

Thnikkaman said:
I know you're joking, but what the hell is wrong with you? This is the second time I've seen you post stuff like this, the first being the Dale Farm court case. It really doesn't help discussion.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I think I remember a time when he used to make worthwhile posts.

phisheep said:
Nick Clegg then - unhampered by a coalition?

Nick Clegg hardly has the personability or easy charm that Salmond has though...he seems rather vapid and opportunitic... Oh, I know, almost all politicians are opportunits, but Salmond really does have effective social skills and usually comes across as fairly relaxed.

He does trumpet Norway's horn an awful lot, but having been there a couple of times, there are definitely things that country is doing right. The oil wealth helps immensely, but there are other countries with as much natural resource wealth that haven't done half what the norwegians have done in infrastructure

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
nelsonroyale said:
Nick Clegg hardly has the personability or easy charm that Salmond has though...he seems rather vapid and opportunitic... Oh, I know, almost all politicians are opportunits, but Salmond really does have effective social skills and usually comes across as fairly relaxed.

He does trumpet Norway's horn an awful lot, but having been there a couple of times, there are definitely things that country is doing right. The oil wealth helps immensely, but there are other countries with as much natural resource wealth that haven't done half what the norwegians have done in infrastructure

I think if Clegg weren't hampered by (a) the rest of the Liberal Party in opposition and (b) the Conservatives in Government he might come across a lot better. Salmond really only came into his own when he was able to form a government.

Meadows

Banned
Damn, Three Line Whip for the EU vote, but with 70 Tory MPs expected to rebel. Doesn't that mean we could see a BIG group of resignations for the Tories?

While I do disagree with the notion of leaving Europe, I think to put a Three Line Whip in force for something that MPs' constituents want a referendum on is essentially a breach of our democratic system, MPs are supposed to represent their local citizens' interests and beliefs in parliament.

To be honest it's a bit of a disgrace, we should have a referendum, but this time give the electoral commission more strong, and immediate powers to call out any bullshit like we saw in the AV campaign. Direct democracy, with a good objective media (like the BBC) and a good, fair independent watchdog (like the Electoral Commission) is a great thing.

louis89

zomgbbqftw said:
Before ranting about a subject you clearly don't understand I suggest you read about it first. Leaving the EU would not end in Armageddon as you suggest. Access to the common market is all but guaranteed since we have a £20bn trade deficit with the EU15, i.e. we spend more money buying good from them than they do from us.

Becoming semi-detached with EFTA is what most sane people want because you get the common market without the crazy social and political aspects of the EU that really does cost time, money and jobs. You must also remember that Britain and the EU are members of the WTO so if the EU decided to put up artificial trade barriers up against Britain as revenge for leaving the EU, Britain would win and the barriers removed or the EU would face expulsion from the WTO, hastening their economic decline.

Another thing you have missed is the cascade effect of Britain leaving the EU, I would be very, very surprised if Sweden, Denmark and Finland didn't follow us to the exit. Scandinavian countries look at Norway and see how things could have been in their own countries and if it was proven that the sky wouldn't fall, as you suggest, if one left the EU then I think they would dash for the door before the EU became one of those clubs you could join but never leave.
So given that, what's the advantage of staying in the EU?

Meadows

Banned
What do you reckon the chances are that at least some of these 70 MPs will defect to UKIP? I mean, historically if you break a 3 line whip, you resign, so either these MPs will resign, defect to UKIP, or just pretend none of this ever happened. I suppose it was inevitable really, this government has been much more centerist that many of the back-benchers would have wanted, and it's clear that the Lib Dems got a lot more concessions than anyone thought they would. Be interesting if we see UKIP become a mainstream choice after this. Or maybe not, I'm just bouncing some scenarios around.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Meadows said:
What do you reckon the chances are that at least some of these 70 MPs will defect to UKIP? I mean, historically if you break a 3 line whip, you resign, so either these MPs will resign, defect to UKIP, or just pretend none of this ever happened. I suppose it was inevitable really, this government has been much more centerist that many of the back-benchers would have wanted, and it's clear that the Lib Dems got a lot more concessions than anyone thought they would. Be interesting if we see UKIP become a mainstream choice after this. Or maybe not, I'm just bouncing some scenarios around.

Pretty unlikely IMO.

It's usual to resign from a government post if you break a 3-liner, but not from the party or as an MP.

The key thing is that each of these MPs will look at how many votes they got in the last election against how many their UKIP candidate got, and only those deluded enough to think it was their stunning personality wot won it rather than their party label will consider changing.

So, only the nutcases.

JonnyBrad

Meadows said:

Slim to non. The mp's will want to keep their jobs longterm and UKIP aren't electable in the eyes of the public as of yet.

louis89 said:
So given that, what's the advantage of staying in the EU?

Well EFTA nations still have to abide by regulations set by the Commission, but they have no seats in the EU Parliament, so the advantage of being in the EU is that you have some kind of say in the forming of regulations. The problem is that we have 72 MEPs out of 736 that sit in Parliament. Basically because of the way it is structured we can't carry a vote and since Europeans are very petty and vindictive they make sport out of doing the exact opposite of what Britain (and sometimes Sweden) wants because we declined joining the Euro.

If we stay in the EU (which IMO we should overall, even though I wouldn't be as upset as many if there was an out vote one day) we can change the organisation from within, or at least try. I know there have been talks recently about more MEPs joining Cameron's ECR group who have been gaining a lot of traction recently because they want to reverse many of the integrationist policies championed by the EPP. If Cameron is as good as we hope he is then he might be able to convince Merkel to abandon the EPP and join the ECR on the back of the €1tn they are being asked to pay over the Eurozone failure.

Euroscepticism is becoming more and more popular throughout Europe because of the EMU crisis. Suddenly from being 'racist little Englanders' the UK has become a wise country who avoided the EMU crisis by staying out of the Euro, our FDI has increased in the last couple of years along with the US because of our weakened currency. The only EU country that can say the same is Germany, the rest of the EMU has seen massive decreases in FDI and even in investment from local businesses. Without that regular investment jobs won't be created and we can see the result in Spain where unemployment is insanely high at 21%.

If the UK can bank these gains and make the case for Euroscepticism from within the EU we might see reforms to the EU budget and a higher priority given to science and technology investment which Blair and Brown even argued for and a much lower priority given to agricultural subsidies. From outside the EU we can't really do that, but we would save about £10bn a year which we could then use to fund our own scientists and researchers.

I don't think the case for staying or leaving is as black and white as many here think, there is a case for both, definitely. I also think it's insane to get a motion through Parliament right now because there is no Tory majority let alone a Eurosceptic majority. I also think In would win and that would be a disaster as a future government could use that to increase the speed of EU integration and do significant damage to our non-EU trade position (it is already very poor because of the regulatory burden from the EU, the reason Germany do so well is because they ignore the regulations entirely).

Meadows said:

Not very likely. With a three line whip an MP has to resign a payroll post if they vote against the government line, therefore relegation to the backbenches beckons. I think Cameron has quelled the rebellion though, the timely intervention of Sarko definitely helped. Irritating the Frogs is always good for a laugh...

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
zomgbbqftw said:
Well EFTA nations still have to abide by regulations set by the Commission, but they have no seats in the EU Parliament, so the advantage of being in the EU is that you have some kind of say in the forming of regulations. The problem is that we have 72 MEPs out of 736 that sit in Parliament. Basically because of the way it is structured we can't carry a vote and since Europeans are very petty and vindictive they make sport out of doing the exact opposite of what Britain (and sometimes Sweden) wants because we declined joining the Euro.

It isn't so much the Parliamentary seats that's important as seats on the two Councils - thats where the major influence on the Commission comes from. We'd lose a bunch by giving that up.

Meadows

Banned
God the Eurozone need to get a fucking move on. But I'd say it was also in the UK's interest to rabidly target the far eastern market with British goods. I can't even begin to explain the potential that these markets have that isn't being exploited by some free trade. Simply put, we need some Chinese, Taiwanese, Korean and Japanese money.

Meadows

Banned
Holy bugger, 78 to rebel (including 9 Labour MPs)!

Some big names too, not just crap back-benchers nobody cares about!

Full list here

Big names include:

David Davis (came second to Cameron in the leadership contest in 2005)
Zac Goldsmith (big up and comer, him rebelling is pretty crazy)
Priti Patel (another up and comer, arguably seen as the future successor to Cameron)
Heather Wheeler (another of Cameron's A-List)
Keith Vaz (Labour politician and all-round dickhead)

and all of the Democratic Unionist Party in NI.

This is really big news, so exciting!!!!

Meadows

Banned
Someone on the BBC comments predicting that dozens of MPs will move to UKIP and mean a snap election. The BBC is full of nutters on the comments!!! When I said some might move, I meant maybe one or two.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Meadows said:
Holy bugger, 78 to rebel (including 9 Labour MPs)!

Some big names too, not just crap back-benchers nobody cares about!

Full list here

I think that's just a list of those who signed the motion for a debate. Doesn't mean they are going to rebel on the vote.

Temrer

Neo Member
I really wish they'd stop putting her on there - it just makes me cringe every time she opens her mouth.

It's not even funny watching Merton and Hislop tear her apart anymore - they should stop giving her the attention.

Meadows

Banned
phisheep said:
I think that's just a list of those who signed the motion for a debate. Doesn't mean they are going to rebel on the vote.

But there's a Three Line Whip against the motion, it's big news that these high profile names are rebelling against such a strong party guidance. Well, apart from David Davis I suppose, he's been a bit of a rebel for a while.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Meadows said:
Someone on the BBC comments predicting that dozens of MPs will move to UKIP and mean a snap election. The BBC is full of nutters on the comments!!! When I said some might move, I meant maybe one or two.
What do you expect? BBC commenters are usually the lunatic fringe. Remember Have Your Say?

Nothing will happen on this, where would these MPs go?

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Meadows said:
But there's a Three Line Whip against the motion, it's big news that these high profile names are rebelling against such a strong party guidance. Well, apart from David Davis I suppose, he's been a bit of a rebel for a while.

The three line whip is about how you vote, not about whether you want the motion debated or not. There are all manner of things that are worth debating but not necessarily sensible to vote for.

Wouldn't be in the least surprised to find that not all of those 78 vote in favour of it.

Meadows

Banned
Just been thinking about how effective the petition site has been already, it's brought about some healthy debate about the death penalty, got the Hillsborough files released and got people talking about membership in the EU. I might not agree with pro death penalty views or vehemently anti-EU views but it's good that, for once, the people are dictating the flow of politics rather than the papers (who admittedly are jumping onto the bandwagon a little bit).

phisheep said:
It isn't so much the Parliamentary seats that's important as seats on the two Councils - thats where the major influence on the Commission comes from. We'd lose a bunch by giving that up.

Good point. We would lose a lot of influence there as well.

The upside is that we would no longer be bound by regulations from the EU so our trade with the far East, Meadows points out, is something that would start seeing big gains. The only other way around is to take the German route and just ignore EU regulations, not bother with a minimum wage and artificially weaken our currency further to make our exports more competitive.

There is also the third way which some UKIP people champion which is to not bother with EFTA either and go to the WTO if the EU put up any trade barriers as revenge for leaving. That way we would not need to bother with any regulations, have access to the common market as guaranteed by WTO rules, have a much easier time trading with our Commonwealth partners and make new free trade agreements with Asian countries outside of the EU remit. That is probably the most risky way, but Britain has a lot of friends in the world and because of centuries old Empire links and the Commonwealth I don't think it would be the doomsday scenario some paint.

Leaving the EU is a numbers game for me, right now I think our level of influence justifies the cost of our membership. If we are asked to start bailing out EMU countries (I heard that Cameron was asked for €450bn in yesterday's meeting and he told them where they could stick their request, hence Sarko's outburst) or threatened with taxes/regulations targeting our industries as retaliatory moves for not contributing then I think it swings away from continued membership and towards a more detached role.

Thankfully we have a number of veto's that we can use on financial, social and economic regulations and taxes. Where the previous government were too scared to rock the EU boat for fear of their future careers as EU commissars, this government has threatened their use on a number of occasions already which has kept illogical regulations and taxes at bay.

Really, my number one concern with the EU is the pettiness and vindictiveness with which the Commission acts and the reason we need to be inside it is to use our veto's so that we can fight them. From the outside it would be much more difficult and would require constant cases with the WTO to keep the EU on the straight and narrow. We basically defeated the EU on the OTC exchange (for which the City accounts for 90% of world trade) regulation but that was done much faster from the inside and the WTO case is still ongoing. We will also defeat the financial transactions tax from the inside though not being a member of the EU would give us a massive role to play if they decided to introduce one.

Deku

Banned
Why not form an anglo trading bloc to offset lost trade with the EU. And I'm sure Asian would make up the balance of any lost trades.

The UK is a financial power so your not as restricted to physical transportation/logistics as say an export oriented power like Germany.

Just wanted to pop in and say I love this thread.

I´m not from the UK but your guys politics is probably one of the most interesting in the world. I especially love zomgbbqftw´s and Meadows´s posts. Coupled with daily vists to the Guardian and Telegraph´s websites I´ve learned a lot. I understand they have their respective biases and opinions but still great stuff. I really hope I get the chance to study there one day.

Sorry for a pretty useless post....

RedShift

I love watching parliament sometimes

"I'm sure there are millions of lib dem voters who are..." *Laughter at millions of lib dem voters*

Dambrosi

Banned
ghst said:
i can imagine you two going for some authoritarian riot cop/dirty st paul's scrounger role play.
Coooooooorrrrrrrrr. [/dirtythoughts]

This debate's great, full of all the shouty and bolshy goodness I expect from Parliament at its best.

Dambrosi said:
Coooooooorrrrrrrrr. [/dirtythoughts]

This debate's great, full of all the shouty and bolshy goodness I expect from Parliament at its best.

I can't get iPlayer at work. :(

I'll have to catch it later when I get home...

Meadows

Banned
I really can't help but feel that we should be having this referendum.

edit:

How is Caroline Lucas voting?

Oh, and this Bob Greenwood gentleman is ripping into the far-right side of the Tories.

avaya

Expecting the WTO to protect the UK against the EU in the event of penalty's for being petulant is fantasist stuff. WTO is tinpot, they'd weigh up the numbers, the Chinese would back the EU. Game over. Small island, should act the small island it is.

Dambrosi

Banned
Meadows said:
I really can't help but feel that we should be having this referendum.

edit:

How is Caroline Lucas voting?

Oh, and this Bob Greenwood gentleman is ripping into the far-right side of the Tories.
No, we shouldn't. You know as well as I do that the people who read the Daily Fail and the Express can't be trusted with an opinion.

Besides, Britain out of the EU would be a disaster for workers' rights and health and safety standards, among other social regulations and financial ties to Europe. And I don't trust our jingoistic population not to fuck it all up for the sake of Little England.

EDIT: Roger Godsiff makes a good point - he said that the reason that most polls say that the British public say "no" to the EU is that they're protesting against those in power for not listening to them. Unfortunately, this is because the British public can't be trusted not to use the referendum as an opportunity for a protest vote, and this issue is far too important for that.

Meadows

Banned
Dambrosi said:
No, we shouldn't. You know as well as I do that the people who read the Daily Fail and the Express can't be trusted with an opinion.

So you don't believe in Democracy?

Dambrosi said:
Besides, Britain out of the EU would be a disaster for workers' rights and health and safety standards, among other social regulations and financial ties to Europe

I agree.

el retorno de los sapos said:
Just wanted to pop in and say I love this thread.

I´m not from the UK but your guys politics is probably one of the most interesting in the world. I especially love zomgbbqftw´s and Meadows´s posts. Coupled with daily vists to the Guardian and Telegraph´s websites I´ve learned a lot. I understand they have their respective biases and opinions but still great stuff. I really hope I get the chance to study there one day.

Sorry for a pretty useless post....

Thanks! Good to see foreigners finding our politics interesting! For the record I love Empty and PsiSheep's posts. I also love it when Meus Renaissance says crazy off the wall shit.

A bit of a drunk, but is good for a laugh. Failed epically in the 2010 UKIP election though. I never understood why he bothered to resign the leadership. If anything you want the most high profile leadership possible for the party when entering Parliament, but whatever.

Walshicus

CHEEZMO™ said:
So what's UK PoliGAF's opinion on Farage?

He be on my telly going on about Europe.
As charismatic as a soggy packet of cigarettes. That said, at least he's only a fool instead of a moron like Kilroy.

Top Bottom