• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK/R.O.I GAF - Thread of geopolitical confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we have any Birmingham-Gaf in here? Was looking for recommendations for decent cheapish hotels. Thinking of going to a festival at the Custard Factory later this year and will need a place to stay. There's a place right next to it but its a pub with rooms and I'm not sure how safe I would feel, as I'll be going on my own. Any suggestions?

Do we have any Birmingham-Gaf in here? Was looking for recommendations for decent cheapish hotels. Thinking of going to a festival at the Custard Factory later this year and will need a place to stay. There's a place right next to it but its a pub with rooms and I'm not sure how safe I would feel, as I'll be going on my own. Any suggestions?

not from birmingham but travelodge? or premier inn? bit boring but they're dependable and the beds are usually good, that and you can get pretty big discounts if you book way in advance.

not from birmingham but travelodge? or premier inn? bit boring but they're dependable and the beds are usually good, that and you can get pretty big discounts if you book way in advance.
Travelodge's are always rank and smelly, better off going the premier Inn route.

I think the worst travelodge I ever stayed in was the one neat the Tesco that Madeley got busted nicking the meat in. It stank and was freezing. I got so pissed that I ended up puking in my sleep so I had the last laugh.

10 day forecast for Europe:

gens-7-0-240_ncr4.png

-12 in London, and that's the true temperature, the feels like will be something like -16. I'm so not going outside on that day.

Hi, fellow UK-Gaf. I never realised there were so many of you and I've lurked curiously, observing, for 18months or so prior to being bestowed with a log in

Where do you live: Cardiff
Where are you from: "Cynon" valley, in South Wales
University: -
Sports team of choice: -
Current political party of choice: historically Labour
Barm, batch, cob or bun: Bun (or bap)
Favourite (current) UK TV show: Sherlock, Downton Abbey
Oasis or Blur: Blur

Another vote for the Premier Inn>Travelodge here too. Travelodge tends to accomodate those who get pissed up and puke in their sleep (by all accounts!)

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

gens-7-0-240_ncr4.png

-12 in London, and that's the true temperature, the feels like will be something like -16. I'm so not going outside on that day.

That doesn't even sound possible, -24 in France?? I just had a look at the beeb, they're saying Sunday will be around 0. That's a big difference, who do I beleive?

We pretty much know it's going to be cold, I just want to know where on the witches' tit-o-meter we're looking at here.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Wait, I might be warmer during my week in Sweden than if I stayed at home. That's just not logical.

Yami

Right LondonGAF, who fancies a cheeky pint next week? I'm going to be in the Future Publishing offices for a couple weeks from Monday, so will be around the Marylebone area for a decent pint or what not. Could always do with some decent company!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Right LondonGAF, who fancies a cheeky pint next week? I'm going to be in the Future Publishing offices for a couple weeks from Monday, so will be around the Marylebone area for a decent pint or what not. Could always do with some decent company!

I'm leaving the country tomorrow morning and won't be back till the 13th. No can do I'm afraid.

Try the Marquis of Granby on Rathbone Street. The Westminster one is better, but that's a bit out of the way.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
I found Fentimans!

Drinking it right now :D

Went in the big Tesco near me to have a look. Was wanting to check out the cola, but they didn't seem to have it so I got some D&B instead.

Lovely.

Mastadon

Banned
CHEEZMO™;34773998 said:
I found Fentimans!

Drinking it right now :D

Went in the big Tesco near me to have a look. Was wanting to check out the cola, but they didn't seem to have it so I got some D&B instead.

Lovely.

You should have gone for the ginger beer, it's so damn good.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I'm up for meeting up for a pint sometime. I'm sure there's more of London-GAF knocking about who will be, just need to rally the troops!

I could be up for it as am pretty much free now my bird's going away on Saturday :(

Ashes2049

Neo Member
Just started snowing here in Notts (first time since about this time last year) so maybe that forecast isn't that far off?!

SmokyDave

Just started snowing here in Notts (first time since about this time last year) so maybe that forecast isn't that far off?!

Where are you? It was snowing in Radford at about 11, and then a little bit whilst I was in town at about 12ish. Nothing in Arnold yet and it's stopped in Radford now.

I'm trying to work out if I'm going to be able to blag any time off work :)

Edit: woo! It's snowing in Radford again!

gens-7-0-240_ncr4.png

Is that real? That's The Day After Tomorrow level stuff. People will be pursued down the streets by Cold.

Parl

What's the average price for a cafe fry up around the country? In London it's between 4 and 6 quid unless you got to a fancy place.

Just went to one near my flat for the first time (usually it's closed at the weekends, wtf?) and I thought it was pretty good value. Two slices of bacon, egg, 2 sausage, 3 big thick slices of black pudding, chips, beans, toast and a drink for £4.95.
This isn't the average, but there's a place near me that does 2 bacon, 2 sausage, 1 egg, beans, tomatoes, square sausage, mushrooms, 1 hash brown, 1 black pudding, 1 slice of toast/bread for £1.99.

Or you can get a hefty long cob with 2x any 2 ingredients for £1.39, so 2 bacon 2 egg, or for an extra 20p, you can get another item. I usually get a 2 egg, 2 bacon, 2 sausage cob for £1.59 if I drop by.

Salazar

1% who believe laws protecting property are unnecessary might have been low on blood sugar, too.

Do they reason that they'll just clobber people who try to get at their stuff ?

I just got a text from my brother in law, apparently my sister is going out this evening so he's at a loose end so he's coming over with a bargain bucket. Fuck yeah.

Meadows

Banned
So there's a high likelihood I'll be moving out of the country come Autumn, either to Taiwan (teaching English) or Australia (working holiday).

The government is putting up the non-EU sponsored job threshold at £31,000 and making it so that if you want to marry someone from outside the EU and they want to stay in the UK, either one of you has to earn over £25,000 a year.

Not happening, most graduate jobs are knocking around about £18,000 or £21,000 in London.

Gutted, first time a government decision has affected my life so deeply, actually started crying.

Fuck you Damien Green you slimy cunt.

(this affects my GF, who is from Taiwan by the way, she speaks absolutely perfect English (NZ accent), wants to pay her tax and contribute to the economy. She doesn't want to steal our benefits, she just wants to make a living here)

So there's a high likelihood I'll be moving out of the country come Autumn, either to Taiwan (teaching English) or Australia (working holiday).

The government is putting up the non-EU sponsored job threshold at £31,000 and making it so that if you want to marry someone from outside the EU and they want to stay in the UK, either one of you has to earn over £25,000 a year.

Not happening, most graduate jobs are knocking around about £18,000 or £21,000 in London.

Gutted, first time a government decision has affected my life so deeply, actually started crying.

(this affects my GF, who is from Taiwan by the way, she speaks absolutely perfect English (NZ accent), wants to pay her tax and contribute to the economy. She doesn't want to steal our benefits, she just wants to make a living here)

My gf's Canadian friend was told to leave the country despite being a qualified lawyer/barrister/whatever. She had chosen to work for a battered women's shelter (earning way below what she could get elsewhere) so she didn't meet the earnings requirement. Fucking crazy.

Meadows

Banned
If we want to be competitive in the global economy and in developing markets, we NEED non-EU immigrants like my GF. Don't see many English people making the effort to learn Mandarin and fuck all schools teach it.

Populist bullshit.

Is there anyway that threshold for the non-EU job get put down?
I was thinking about studying over there for a masters and trying to get a job after but I have no idea how right out of school I´d be making 31,000 pounds. How is that reasonable?

Meadows

Banned
Is there anyway that threshold for the non-EU job get put down?
I was thinking about studying over there for a masters and trying to get a job after but I have no idea how right out of school I´d be making 31,000 pounds. How is that reasonable?

It's not.

Basically this is aimed, whether they say it in public or not, at south Asian immigrants, particularly unskilled ones, but you can't say "oh, we're reducing immigration from Pakistan, India and Sri Lanka, but people from Hong Kong are more than welcome to bring their families" that wouldn't be allowed.

SteveWD40

Sucks mate, sorry to hear that. You are right though, it's typical ill thought out shit to keep the borderline nationalists / racists happy.

Oh but a working holiday in Australia is great, I did one in 2006 and loved it.

SmokyDave

Sucks mate, sorry to hear that. You are right though, it's typical ill thought out shit to keep the borderline nationalists / racists happy.

Oh but a working holiday in Australia is great, I did one in 2006 and loved it.

Whereas our prior 'come one, come all' immigration policy was well thought out, hasn't affected social cohesion and won't get a damned sight worse as unemployment continues to rise. There is no strain on our public services either, so that's nice.

Sucks that you're caught up in the swing of the pendulum though Meadows. It will settle somewhere in the middle eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom