• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK/R.O.I GAF - Thread of geopolitical confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

chunk3rvd

Hoping for some advice from UK Gaf! What's my best option for getting cheap broadband without a phone line? I've been with Virgin for 7+ years and currently pay them around £35-40 a month for phone and 30Mb broadband. The phone line gets literally no use as I have both a work and personal mobile so it seems ridiculous paying this much for broadband alone

I don't want a TV package attached as I never watch TV anymore. I also don't want something that's too heavily capped as I use around 15-20GB a month to stay up to speed with WWE so mobile broadband is probably not an option. I don't really need 30Mb broadband either - 10 would probably be sufficient

It just seems like every provider wants to tie you down to a phone/broadband combo. Virgin do list broadband only options on the site but they're pretty well hidden and look like a much worse deal than the combos

Oh, and to keep this on topic...... King Fries > McDonalds Fries >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> KFC Fries!

Hoping for some advice from UK Gaf! What's my best option for getting cheap broadband without a phone line? I've been with Virgin for 7+ years and currently pay them around £35-40 a month for phone and 30Mb broadband. The phone line gets literally no use as I have both a work and personal mobile so it seems ridiculous paying this much for broadband alone

I don't want a TV package attached as I never watch TV anymore. I also don't want something that's too heavily capped as I use around 15-20GB a month to stay up to speed with WWE so mobile broadband is probably not an option. I don't really need 30Mb broadband either - 10 would probably be sufficient

It just seems like every provider wants to tie you down to a phone/broadband combo. Virgin do list broadband only options on the site but they're pretty well hidden and look like a much worse deal than the combos

Oh, and to keep this on topic...... King Fries > McDonalds Fries >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> KFC Fries!

You won't get BB from anyone other than Virgin without a phone line because that's how the BB is delivered.

Your best bet would probably be to get Virgin's 30mb solus, should cost you £28.50 but if you phone their retentions as an existing customer you might be able to work something out.

Its pointless recommending any ADSL package without knowing what its like in your area. Do a check on bt.com/infinity in that grey box by selecting the "I'm not with BT" tab to see what ADSL is like in your area, there's some decent deals on SKY BB atm but if ADSL is garbage in your area then its a waste of time. Most roads point back to solus 30mb with Virgin tbh.

Nevasleep

Do a check on bt.com/infinity

Thanks for the reminder, just found out it should be enabled in June(a few other exchanges in the area had already been enabled). Last time I checked there wasn't a date listed.

Plenty of Openreach/Kelly communication vans around, so hopefully its going to plan.

chunk3rvd

Thanks for the advice guys. Can't check the BT site at the moment as it's being worked on but I'll have a look. I'm in Liverpool so I'd expect them to offer decent speeds but we'll see

Looks like I'll just try and drop the phone and see what kind of saving I can make with Virgin. With all these offers round touting £10 a month broadband and such (I know that they're subsidised in a sense) I had just been hoping to save more than ~£7 a month but I'll take what I can get. It seems daft that I could get a basic sky package, a bt line and free 10mb broadband for about £2 more a month than Virgin's 30Mb solus package. 30Mb sounds all fancy and great but since Megaupload went down there isn't a single site that gives me over 500k/s and although I get 1.5Mb/s off PSN, I download nothing off the store any more so anything above 10mb seems useless to me

SmokyDave

I hate Wednesday. I've had enough of work by now but the blessed release of the weekend is so far away.

Only good thing about Wednesdays is the Bombcast. I can get home, light a joint, crack open a beer, stick GT5 on and listen to my Bombcast. Keeps me sane.

Tantalus

Neo Member
MBMBaM has been going down hill lately. Not sure why.

Yeah, I've noticed that too. For the first thirty episodes or so I thought it was the funniest thing on the internet, but I guess the novelty might have worn off for either the McElroy brothers or for the listeners.

They still make some great goofs every now and then though, and it's still one of my favourite podcasts around.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I hate Wednesday. I've had enough of work by now but the blessed release of the weekend is so far away.

Only good thing about Wednesdays is the Bombcast. I can get home, light a joint, crack open a beer, stick GT5 on and listen to my Bombcast. Keeps me sane.

I'm more of a Geekbox man myself. But yeah, I like wednesday evenings. My wife is out skating so I can slob in front of the PC with a podcast guilt-free. When you're married, sometimes thes best times you have are when you're by yourself.

And yes, I know this makes me a bad person.

SmokyDave

I hear ya, man. I look forward to Monday and Wednesday afternoons when I have a chance to just chill out to my podcasts of choice (MBMBaM and the Bombcast).
MBMBaM?

I'm more of a Geekbox man myself. But yeah, I like wednesday evenings. My wife is out skating so I can slob in front of the PC with a podcast guilt-free. When you're married, sometimes thes best times you have are when you're by yourself.

And yes, I know this makes me a bad person.
Nah, it really doesn't. Me and the Missus have a sitting room each* because sometimes, you just need a little space. There's nothing wrong with enjoying 'me' time when you've totally given yourself over to another person.

*Well, one shared sitting room and then she has another 'reading' room and I have a man-cave.

Tantalus

Neo Member

An advice show for the modern era, My Brother, My Brother and Me. Justin, Travis and Griffin McElroy give funny advice to people who send in questions, and answer some Yahoo answers questions too which can be pretty hilarious too.

If you have followed Joystiq or the new Vox Games you might have heard of Justin and Griffin McElroy.

Fur_Q

*Well, one shared sitting room and then she has another 'reading' room and I have a man-cave.

Oh god I'm in the planning stage for this, as i'm losing the will to live. I NEED MY OWN SPACE. And she talks through films (my pet hate) and goes for a piss 7 or 8 times during it so i have to pause and sit there waiting arghhhh losing it.

Nah, it really doesn't. Me and the Missus have a sitting room each* because sometimes, you just need a little space. There's nothing wrong with enjoying 'me' time when you've totally given yourself over to another person.

wait, do you listen to podcasts through actual speakers? Outside of maybe a car, I could never imagine doing that. The people's voice is meant to come from inside my head.

After watching 'Make Bradford British', I took a sample citizenship test. Answered seven out of ten questions correctly, which amounts to a fail.

http://www.britishcitizenshiptest.co.uk/sample-test.aspx

I got 90% and passed. Time for you to leave the country.

Candidate : Guest Total Marks : 90%
Date : 7-3-2012 Correct Answers : 9
No of Questions : 10 Wrongly Answered : 1
Duration : 20 Minutes Unanswered : 0
Result : Passed Time Taken : 0:1:36

Unanswered Wrongly Answered Correct Answer

Gazzawa

Michael O'Leary is a knob. But he knows exactly how to get people talking about Ryanair.

This is their schtick. Make controversial statement and get more publicity. They do it all the time and it always works. I have to admire him a bit for his cleverness.

Anyone else would have run that company into the ground 3 years ago. Would never make someone like him my friend but I have respect for the man.

no angel

80%, got the head of the church wrong and misread the council tax question.

I should be sorting out wedding arrangements so that was a welcome distraction, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom