• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK/R.O.I GAF - Thread of geopolitical confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveWD40

Yeah, the UK is the size of a state of the US, we might as well keep it in one thread. Just glad this thread took off as the one in community was killed by Chinner's negativity and FHM girls.

SteveWD40

Canada maybe, but Australia? Greater London alone has a bigger population than there. Also in the year I lived there, gaming and the associated culture wasn't anywhere near as big as here, weather is too damn good ;)

Canada maybe, but Australia? Greater London alone has a bigger population than there. Also in the year I lived there, gaming and the associated culture wasn't anywhere near as big as here, weather is too damn good ;)

I'm just basing it on the fact that the AusGAF thread is absolutely MASSIVE.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=465230

36 pages since the 2nd of this month, mind you they might be coming from the same few people.

Meadows

Banned
According to Alexa (I know):

USA - 43.8% traffic
UK - 8.9%
Italy - 5.6%
Germany - 4.3%
Spain - 4.1%
Canada - 3.7%
Japan - 3.4%
Mexico - 2.6%
France - 2.3%
India - 2.3%

Mr. Sam

There was a thread entitled 'Any Gaffers in North Korea?" or something not too long ago. Long story short, no, there weren't any Gaffers in North Korea, but there were many Gaffers from the UK.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Yeah, the UK is the size of a state of the US, we might as well keep it in one thread. Just glad this thread took off as the one in community was killed by Chinner's negativity and FHM girls.

Uh, not quite. By surface area maybe, but by population the UK is way bigger than every US State.

Double California, treble Texas and 120-times Wyoming.

Of one of the Indian states, I'll grant you (and smaller than several of the others). Much better comparison than the US.

To be fair Uttar Pradesh it bigger than all but four (China, India, US, Indonesia) countries. Either way, I'm gonna ask Evilore to see if he can tell us the biggest countries on NeoGAF.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Airports in the early hours are boring. Nothing is open and people sleeping on all the seats.

God bless Taipei-Taoyuan Airport, its 7-Eleven and zero restrictions on alcohol sales. I went there at 1am for a 9am flight and just got blasted. The Burger King breakfast was decent too.

leadbelly

Banned

Canada - big country, but half the population of the UK.

leadbelly

Banned
According to Alexa (I know):

USA - 43.8% traffic
UK - 8.9%
Italy - 5.6%
Germany - 4.3%
Spain - 4.1%
Canada - 3.7%
Japan - 3.4%
Mexico - 2.6%
France - 2.3%
India - 2.3%

Probably true actually. I've noticed on other gaming forums an awful lot of British people on them. Steam forums is like this.

industrian

Probably true actually. I've noticed on other gaming forums an awful lot of British people on them. Steam forums is like this.

Are people here actually doubting that the UK would comprise the 2nd largest community on an English language video game website? Considering we're the second largest English-speaking country and the size of our video games industry and all...

industrian

This wan/yin's for ScotGAF:

WZMw8.jpg

Suairyu

Banned
SO SPEAKING OF VODDY ORANGES

Guess who got a call from the international media company wanting to talk dates and arrangements for an internship?

:)

Seriously, people: vodka+orange before any important phone call.

Granny Smith or Golden Delicious?
Pink Lady.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Neither, Braeburn all the way!

Morning Peeps. What's happening this lovely Tuesday?

Hells yeahs!! \m/ do you ever notice that the quality of the Braeburns decreases in the winter months? A good summer Braeburn is unbeatable though, I love that tang and supersweet tartness.

Suairyu

Banned
It's illegal in the States as per Facebook's TOS, it just hasn't been challenged in court yet.

And due to various data protection laws in the UK, no company or institution could ever dream of getting away with it over here.

Also as an aside, The Young Turks are absolutely awful, ignorant, naive idiots. I don't ever want to see you linking to them in this thread ever again.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
It's illegal in the States as per Facebook's TOS, it just hasn't been challenged in court yet.

And due to various data protection laws in the UK, no company or institution could ever dream of getting away with it over here.

Also as an aside, The Young Turks are absolutely awful, ignorant, naive idiots. I don't ever want to see you linking to them in this thread ever again.

lol i just wanted to shake up the hive, got a freedom fighter friend who moves from outrage to outrage posting story's to his Facebook page.

I have two facebook's encase my boss comes sniffing around anyway

Suairyu

Banned
I have two facebook's encase my boss comes sniffing around anyway
Dude just set your profile to full private, friends-only. Avoid the hassle of account juggling.

Anyone who demanded to see my Facebook (not that I have one anymore) would get a swift "fuck off" from me, followed by legal action if they pressed the issue.

Thanks for the warning. I almost watched it.
HEY GUISE BLACK PEOPLE ARE BEING GIVEN CHICKEN CLEARLY IT IS AN AFRICAN AMERICAN STEREOTYPE EVEN THOUGH THE ADVERT IS AUSTRALIAN AND ABOUT CRICKET THE WHOLE WORLD SHOULD JUST HAVE AMERICAN CULTURAL CONTEXT AS ITS DEFAULT BECAUSE CLEARLY HUNDREDS OF YEARS OF YOUR OWN CULTURE ISN'T AN EXCUSE FOR NOT KNOWING THE INS AND OUTS OF OUR OWN GREAT SUPERIOR NATION

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Hmmm. Another job rejection. At least they've offered to give feedback. At least my current employer revealed they wanted to keep me on despite the original contract end date of 31st March.

Guess it's time to look for another application form.

My Facebook is 100% private. Using the timeline feature I was even able to scroll all the way to find any bits of news that may have leaked out.

Suairyu

Banned
I would seriously be willing to give sexual favours to every employer who gives feedback on rejected applications.

Hell, even so much as a courtesy "thank you but you weren't successful" letter seems to require kissing on the lips these days.

I set my facebook to private/friends only on everything after my Dad tried getting in contact on it. Hadn't thought about it before that. I think about internet security a bit more these days.

Kentpaul

Dude just set your profile to full private, friends-only. Avoid the hassle of account juggling.

Anyone who demanded to see my Facebook (not that I have one anymore) would get a swift "fuck off" from me, followed by legal action if they pressed the issue.

HEY GUISE BLACK PEOPLE ARE BEING GIVEN CHICKEN CLEARLY IT IS AN AFRICAN AMERICAN STEREOTYPE EVEN THOUGH THE ADVERT IS AUSTRALIAN AND ABOUT CRICKET THE WHOLE WORLD SHOULD JUST HAVE AMERICAN CULTURAL CONTEXT AS ITS DEFAULT BECAUSE CLEARLY HUNDREDS OF YEARS OF YOUR OWN CULTURE ISN'T AN EXCUSE FOR NOT KNOWING THE INS AND OUTS OF OUR OWN GREAT SUPERIOR NATION

Got family and shit (just about every person iv ever spoke to) on my real name one, and just close friends/internet friends on my kentpaul facebook. My close community feeling of my kentpaul account really makes my facebook experience the best. No bitchy tweens saying RATE ME HE HE HE, none of that shit my kentpaul facebook is a mature affair.

Suairyu

Banned
kentpaul facebook is the manliest facebook ever.
except for smokeydave facebook

I set my facebook to private/friends only on everything after my Dad tried getting in contact on it. Hadn't thought about it before that. I think about internet security a bit more these days.
My mother found out about my sexuality while I was in uni because of Facebook. It didn't go over well. Facebook has been on constant lockdown ever since.

Kentpaul

kentpaul facebook is the manliest facebook ever.
except for smokeydave facebook

My mother found out about my sexuality while I was in uni because of Facebook. It didn't go over well. Facebook has been on constant lockdown ever since.

how did it go down with the rest of your family when they found out you were gay ?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I'm really OK with people finding out anything from my FB feed, AFAIK it's totally open. I wouldn't put anything up there I wouldn't want others reading, potential employers would just learn a lot about my music tastes and find random musings on life. Not much else.

Suairyu

Banned
how did it go down with the rest of your family when they found out you were gay ?
Bi.

And after she was done letting me know how disgusting I was, my mother warned me not to let my father find out.

I got soooo drunk that day.

I'm really OK with people finding out anything from my FB feed, AFAIK it's totally open. I wouldn't put anything up there I wouldn't want others reading, potential employers would just learn a lot about my music tastes and find random musings on life. Not much else.
So you personally vet the content on your friends' pages as well? Because who you associate with would count against you as well.

Kentpaul

I have pictures of my weed on my kentpaul one. If i had pictures of weed on my gary one and my boss decided to type my name into facebook and seen it i would get drug tested.

Shit would not be fun, I'm to used to having money now to go back on the dole.

lets all post examples of something on your news feed.

"R*an M*****
anyone fancy a wee Quickscope match mw2 am bored out ma nut"

Sure beats the tween shit on my other facebook.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Bi.

And after she was done letting me know how disgusting I was, my mother warned me not to let my father find out.

I got soooo drunk that day.

So you personally vet the content on your friends' pages as well? Because who you associate with would count against you as well.

TBH I'm quite happy not working for a company that would vet my friends, that's going way too far (well, vetting my own FB is going too far too...). Just as I would never work for a company that performed drug tests or had any kind of facial hair/tattoo policy. It's bullshit, they don't deserve to have me working for them.

Ironically, I work in education and none of this applies in this industry. Yup, we're working with your kids, who cares what we get up to out of work? :p

And sorry to hear about your mum and her disgusting reaction there. Hope you're doing OK now. I don't understand parents who don't do unconditional love, it's really sad. I think my mum was actually disappointed I wasn't gay. I was a weird kid and didn't have a gf all through school. But no, just shy rather than gay!

Kentpaul

gay circle jerks were awesome guys, who done that shit ?

also sexuality is a myth. thats how i see things anyway.

Suairyu

Banned
gay circle jerks were awesome guys, who done that shit?
There were always rumours, but I don't think I've ever come across conclusive proof that a game of soggy biscuit has ever taken place in a high school setting.

And sorry to hear about your mum and her disgusting reaction there. Hope you're doing OK now. I don't understand parents who don't do unconditional love, it's really sad. I think my mum was actually disappointed I wasn't gay. I was a weird kid and didn't have a gf all through school. But no, just shy rather than gay!
She said she would have been fine if I was "one or the other", but being both was wrong or whatever. Not entirely sure I believe that, but what can you do?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I have pictures of my weed on my kentpaul one. If i had pictures of weed on my gary one and my boss decided to type my name into facebook and seen it i would get drug tested.

Shit would not be fun, I'm to used to having money now to go back on the dole.

lets all post examples of something on your news feed.

"R*an M*****
anyone fancy a wee Quickscope match mw2 am bored out ma nut"

Sure beats the tween shit on my other facebook.

Last night I posted "oowwww, bass fingers", my buddy posted a picture of a badass Batman tattoo and I was talking to a photographer friend about some pics he took. All fairly innocuous. I don't post about drugs on fb (since my mates mum added me :p) and I'll happily stand behind any controversial opinions I post. DOn't put it out there unless you can stand by it, I say.

Far more dangerous would be if an employer found out my Jedeye Sniv handle, since I've posted all kinds of crazy stuff around the net on this name. I try not to join mucky sites with it though, I have an alterego for those sites.

Kentpaul

There were always rumours, but I don't think I've ever come across conclusive proof that a game of soggy biscuit has ever taken place in a high school setting.

we played that before high school man lol, don't forget about the polo mint inside the foreskin game, or just circle jerking in general.

We were just little dudes playing with our junk. Healthy behaviour in my book.

Cough i had a drunken circle jerk last year Cough Cough

that was just all in good nature though, none of us were hard.

any guys SUBJECT CHANGE I THINK SO!

Last night I posted "oowwww, bass fingers", my buddy posted a picture of a badass Batman tattoo and I was talking to a photographer friend about some pics he took. All fairly innocuous. I don't post about drugs on fb (since my mates mum added me :p) and I'll happily stand behind any controversial opinions I post. DOn't put it out there unless you can stand by it, I say.

Far more dangerous would be if an employer found out my Jedeye Sniv handle, since I've posted all kinds of crazy stuff around the net on this name. I try not to join mucky sites with it though, I have an alterego for those sites.

Thats why i set up my second facebook account under the kentpaul franchise.. I can just be my self without my family lurking around. Its great posting some pictures of killer weed i was proud to be buying. I also have a shitload of people from highschool i added/they added me, So i always felt judged when i made a status on my real name facebook.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom