• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK/R.O.I GAF - Thread of geopolitical confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vagabundo

I'm looking forward to sitting out my back* on Paddies night with a beer. I'll skip town I think, unless the wife gets in the party mood...

*Just got the backyard rennovated with sandstone and a fence for the big ass dog we have.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
New page new question:

What sports do you spectate and play?

Spectate: football, international cricket, six nations rugby, f1

Play: volleyball, football, golf

Spectate: MMA, kickboxing, football.

Train: BJJ, Muay Thai, western boxing. You could include MMA by default I guess. That and some good ol' fashioned weight lifting.

I'm going to Thailand to train Muay Thai full-time throughout April. When I come back to Taiwan I'm just dedicating myself to training whilst starting a business.

Don't have the time/energy/mates who like football to play football in York :(

I'm a proper good Right Back.

When I was younger I was a great goalkeeper. I always went in goals because I was too lazy to run.

daviyoung

Banned
What the bloody hell are you talking about?

Benidorm isn't in America.
An Irish pub will have full imperial pints.
Other places will serve half-litre glasses instead.

You're right that a pint is 568ml but it seems a bit pedantic.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
New page new question:

What sports do you spectate and play?

Spectate: football, international cricket, six nations rugby, f1

Play: volleyball, football, golf
Spectate: Almost anything but mainly football, rugby league, NFL. Bit of snooker and golf and the occasional boxing match but those first 3 are the only ones I follow properly.

Play: Just football in a sixes team and kickabouts with the lads. Does skating count as a sport? EXTREME SPORTS.

£16bn. What a waste of fucking money.

Manchester MetroLink's phase 3, which would make public transport MASSIVELY better in Manchester costs £1.4bn, less than 10% of the cost of CrossRail.

This country is for the dogs

I agree, complete joke but at least private business is stumping up some of the cost. If that money had been invested in the tube, it would've been awesome.

Meadows

Banned
Even within London, if I'm being diplomatic, wouldn't that £16bn be better spent on commuter rail links from the home counties?

I hear that it's ridiculously expensive, although I suppose it's one way to get money from the rich.

Meadows

Banned
The Edinburgh tram fiasco is fucking shameful.

Even with all of their delays/overspending, it'll still cost under £1bn and would be vitally important for Edinburgh as both a commercial, and tourist destination (as well as for many residents). It seems like all CrossRail is doing is digging a fucking hole in the ground to move some suits around the home counties/central London.

Even within London, if I'm being diplomatic, wouldn't that £16bn be better spent on commuter rail links from the home counties?

I hear that it's ridiculously expensive, although I suppose it's one way to get money from the rich.

There's already a fuckton of links with the home counties. The tube is falling apart due to years of under investment in the seventies and eighties and the bodged PPP imposed by Brown. CrossRail will create a lot of jobs, which is obviously a good thing but as I said, I feel the money could've been better spent on other transport projects.

industrian

The Edinburgh tram fiasco is fucking shameful.

The drama surrounding the Scottish Parliament Building, Edinburgh trams, and Waverley Line make me almost ashamed of my country. There was a time when Scottish engineering was the envy of the world. Nowadays I don't know what the fuck to think.

At least the Squinty Bridge in Glasgow has only had one fuckup so far. Best Coast confirmed.

Even with all of their delays/overspending, it'll still cost under £1bn and would be vitally important for Edinburgh as both a commercial, and tourist destination (as well as for many residents). It seems like all CrossRail is doing is digging a fucking hole in the ground to move some suits around the home counties/central London.

Reduced from three lines to half a line, £200m over budget and six years behind schedule is a fiasco, whichever way you look at it but especially so when compared to the Bathgate - Airdrie link.

CrossRail has been budgeted for £16b, let's see if it comes in on time and budget before we compare the two.

The drama surrounding the Scottish Parliament Building, Edinburgh trams, and Waverley Line make me almost ashamed of my country. There was a time when Scottish engineering was the envy of the world. Nowadays I don't know what the fuck to think.

At least the Squinty Bridge in Glasgow has only had one fuckup so far. Best Coast confirmed.

See my point re: Bathgate - Airdrie, it's not all bad.

Meadows

Banned
Reduced from three lines to half a line, £200m over budget and six years behind schedule is a fiasco, whichever way you look at it but especially so when compared to the Bathgate - Airdrie link.

CrossRail has been budgeted for £16b, let's see if it comes in on time and budget before we compare the two.

ugh.

£16bn

that's a fucking astonishing amount of money.

The UK is a big power in the global pharmaceutical industry right, well our exports in that sector were £14bn, £2bn less than the cost of this fucking hole in the ground.

Fucking hell you could just call this off and give EVERY single person in London £2000 on their oyster card and it would cost the same. (actually it would cost much less because they'd get most of that money back)

industrian

From what I remember (I've been in Asia for 3 years) it was almost cancelled too. But it was only saved because it was considered cheaper to finish it that cancel it.

ugh.

£16bn

that's a fucking astonishing amount of money.

The UK is a big power in the global pharmaceutical industry right, well our exports in that sector were £14bn, £2bn less than the cost of this fucking hole in the ground.

Fucking hell you could just call this off and give EVERY single person in London £2000 on their oyster card and it would cost the same

Breakdown of the funding: http://www.crossrail.co.uk/railway/funding

From what I remember (I've been in Asia for 3 years) it was almost cancelled too. But it was only saved because it was considered cheaper to finish it that cancel it.

I thought it was on time and within budget? Read somewhere that it was 15 miles long, had three new stations , two stations rebuilt, two upgraded, electrified, new rolling stock and sixty odd bridges built or replaced for £300m.

industrian

I thought it was on time and within budget? Read somewhere that it was 15 miles long, had three new stations , two stations rebuilt, two upgraded, electrified, new rolling stock and sixty odd bridges built or replaced for £300m.

Are we still talking about the Edinburgh Trams?

Originally costed at £375 million in 2003, the budget was later increased to £545 million; in May 2011, it was revealed that £440 million had already been spent on the project. A report issued the following month estimated that the partial completion of the tram line from the airport to the city centre would cost £770 million. A further report issued in August 2011 estimated that the final cost for the proposed line would be over £1 billion, including £228 million interest payments on a 30-year loan to cover the funding shortfall.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edinburgh_Trams

industrian

Nope, the Airdrie - Bathgate bollocks. I know what a shower of shite the Edinburgh trams have been.

A memory that is permanently burned into my brain is of the Edinburgh Tram construction in December 2008. Due to the extensive "roadworks" (or ripping up the entire city centre's roads as it's more accurately called) it took 4 hours to get from Edinburgh to Galashiels on the bus when it should only take 1.5 hours. Combined with a week of unsuccessful job interviews/applications during the financial crisis and it was total insult to injury.

I wonder what the status of the Glasgow Airport Rail Link would be right now if it wasn't canned.

A memory that is permanently burned into my brain is of the Edinburgh Tram construction in December 2008. Due to the extensive "roadworks" (or ripping up the entire city centre's roads as it's more accurately called) it took 4 hours to get from Edinburgh to Galashiels on the bus when it should only take 1.5 hours. Combined with a week of unsuccessful job interviews/applications during the financial crisis and it was total insult to injury.

I wonder what the status of the Glasgow Airport Rail Link would be right now if it wasn't canned.

Didn't the SNp want to kill the Edinburgh project?

industrian

Didn't the SNp want to kill the Edinburgh project?

Yeah. It was in their manifesto. A 1 seat majority only gets you so far though.

And like I said, I think they discovered it would be more expensive to cancel it than complete it. But the public enquiry called by Salmond will find that out soon enough. Hopefully when I'm back in Scotland this December the trams will be there waiting for me. Then we can collectively sigh a relief that we've got something tangible out of this whole palaver.

Crossrail immediately ingrained itself in my bad books by tearing down the Astoria :( I don't think it could ever redeem itself to me.

I just read throught the 'name all the EU states' topic. I'm not surprised people keep referring to UK as England, it happens all the time when I'm on holiday.

Them: "So where are you from?"
Me: "Wales"
Them: "Oh yeah I know Wales, that's in England right?"
Me: *Mutters under breath before turning around and walking away before I punch someone*

And I'm not even that patriotic, I just really don't like stupid people.

Meadows

Banned
I hate how people call the UK - England because the English flag just reminds me of chavs:

england-flag.jpg

It's a shame but it's true

I hate how people call the UK - England because the English flag just reminds me of chavs:

england-flag.jpg

To be fair, that's a particularly chavved up one. The plain St George is a bit classier than that.

Crossrail immediately ingrained itself in my bad books by tearing down the Astoria :( I don't think it could ever redeem itself to me.

I just read throught the 'name all the EU states' topic. I'm not surprised people keep referring to UK as England, it happens all the time when I'm on holiday.

Them: "So where are you from?"
Me: "Wales"
Them: "Oh yeah I know Wales, that's in England right?"
Me: *Mutters under breath before turning around and walking away before I punch someone*

And I'm not even that patriotic, I just really don't like stupid people.

The Astoria was a hole that has only been improved by being torn down. That's not to see that I haven't had some of the best nights out in my life in there.

defel

Im a sucker for big infrastructure projects but I do think that capital spending powers should be devolved.

In other news, received an offer from UCL to today so very happy. :D

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
CHEEZMO™;36036024 said:
Favourite pr0n sites.

Go.

You know what? I know we can't talk about it properly here but I would love to find out what the decent sites are. I want a site with good quality, curated, non-pro material. The sites I used to go to have been shutting down over the years leaving me with one not particularly good destination, and trying to find new ones brings up millions of sites chock full of pro-masquerading-as-amateur terrible videos. Boo.

Gimme dat webcam/iPhone/handycam young couples exploring each other's naughty bits good stuff, not anorexic orange people with pastel colours and too-bright lighting.

What I really want is a site like GAF filled with intelligent awesome people where this stuff can be discussed openly. You know, because we're all ADULTS.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
You know what? I know we can't talk about it properly here but I would love to find out what the decent sites are. I want a site with good quality, curated, non-pro material. The sites I used to go to have been shutting down over the years leaving me with one not particularly good destination, and trying to find new ones brings up millions of sites chock full of pro-masquerading-as-amateur terrible videos. Boo.

Gimme dat webcam/iPhone/handycam young couples exploring each other's naughty bits good stuff, not anorexic orange people with pastel colours and too-bright lighting.

What I really want is a site like GAF filled with intelligent awesome people where this stuff can be discussed openly. You know, because we're all ADULTS.

Are you me?
Fucking brofist.

I use [REDACTED] for everything. Exclusively.
You can find anything on there.

hey cheezmo mind getting rid of that, cheers

only takes one mistake you know, i dunno if explicitly mentioning the name of a place is uncool enough for the lock but i like this thread sooooo yeah

edit: thanks broheim

Jezbollah

The tunnelling begins for CrossRail today.

I don't agree with the project (money could've been invested in the tube for better results, fuck the out of towners) but do find shit like this fascinating.

I saw that tunnelling machine at Royal Oak while I was on the train out to Reading a few weeks ago. It is fucking massive.

Crossrail may be a little worthwhile, if it takes congestion away from the Tube. I very much doubt it will benefit me as I'll probably kill myself than be in my current job by whenever it eventually finishes.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.

england-flag.jpg

This one doesn't even make sense.

THREE LIONS ON A SHIRT
JULES RIMET STILL GLEAMING
THIRTY YEARS OF HURT
NEVER STOPPED ME DREAMIN'

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Alright UK/ROI-GAF, it's NOSTALGIA TIME! What are the all time great children's tv themes? I was having a discussion about this the other day talking about how kids these days are growing up with all sorts of generic action cartoons about shooting aliens, or odd shows with blobs that don't speak words and how sad it is they're not going to end up with the same golden memories of watching telly what we all do. Ended up looking up loads of old TV show intros on Youtube, stumbled upon this gem.

Off the top of my head, the good ones are:
Thomas the Tank Engine
Fireman Sam
Poddington Peas
Count Duckula
The Racoons

Probably a lot more, I remember things like Button Moon, Trapdoor, The Shoe People and all sorts. Brum. Then later on you had stuff like Jason and the Wheeled Warriors and Bots Master. Good times. Anyone got any more to share?

Alright UK/ROI-GAF, it's NOSTALGIA TIME! What are the all time great children's tv themes? I was having a discussion about this the other day talking about how kids these days are growing up with all sorts of generic action cartoons about shooting aliens, or odd shows with blobs that don't speak words and how sad it is they're not going to end up with the same golden memories of watching telly what we all do. Ended up looking up loads of old TV show intros on Youtube, stumbled upon this gem.

Off the top of my head, the good ones are:
Thomas the Tank Engine
Fireman Sam
Poddington Peas
Count Duckula
The Racoons

Probably a lot more, I remember things like Button Moon, Trapdoor, The Shoe People and all sorts. Brum. Then later on you had stuff like Jason and the Wheeled Warriors and Bots Master. Good times. Anyone got any more to share?

No Jamie or Duck Tales = instant fail.

defel

Ended up looking up loads of old TV show intros on Youtube, stumbled upon this gem.

wow that made my day xD

The best theme tune from my childhood is fireman sam with the awesome little guitar riff in the middle but my favourite show was always Thomas the Tank Engine.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
No Jamie or Duck Tales = instant fail.

Oh man, can't believe I forgot Duck Tales. Think I was trying to think more of British shows, but then I ended up putting The Raccoons in there anyway. Don't know what Jamie is though.

Most of my memories of these shows come from me getting a complilation VHS with one episode of a whole lot of kids shows - Superted, The Raggydolls, James the Cat, Henry's Cat, Paddington Bear, that sort of thing. So many different shows on one tape, I used to watch them over and over. Awesome. You don't get that these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom