• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Retailer GAME is dead | Brera's Lament

Status
Not open for further replies.

Facism

Sorry to ask as it's likely been posted 15 pages ago, but are they doing sales on the hardware now?

Could do with grabbing a CHEAP CHEAP DS if possible. And maybe a ps3 for the bathroom.

Sorry to ask as it's likely been posted 15 pages ago, but are they doing sales on the hardware now?

Could do with grabbing a CHEAP CHEAP DS if possible. And maybe a ps3 for the bathroom.

Bathroom PS3 would cost you £99.99 for a 40GB / 60GB / 80GB. Better get that ADC cover out too since it'll most likely end up in a nasty bathroom incident involving water everywhere. Only £24.99 for two years.

If you want a CHEAP CHEAP DS the originals are only £19.99 if you can find a store that has any in stock. DS Lite's are only £34.99 as well.

BlazingDarkness said:
How was the reception from those going in store for ME3 today?

Most people have been positive about Mass Effect 3 in our store. We've explained we're not stocking it (at the moment) and have told them alternative retailers that will stock it. Also making sure to say GAME have the same problem to save them a wasted trip. Quite a lot of people have been asking though, spoke to about ten myself today.

JoeTheBlow said:
Don't tell me that you've lost the faith man!
This time next month, you'll be a millionaire.

I'm worried about losing my job but posts like this make it seem (semi?) worth it. :p

Facism

Cheers lady and gentlemen.

I'm joking about the ps3 for the bathroom. I already have a ps3. It's in the livingroom, though.

Brera

Banned
You're right, but the trend towards cheaper games was already gaining steam here. I don't believe the kinds of deep and engrossing game experiences will ever hit £2 -- most people know these low prices at GAME are exceptional circumstances, and if they don't then they will in a few weeks when the banks slit GAME's throat -- but I'm absolutely conditioned to wait for sub-£20 games. £30 for a game is a big, big purchase decision for me. Three years ago, this was not the case, and I would happily fork out £37.99 on a regular basis.

In short, I think the UK games market is stuck as it is, and publishers had best get used to it. In fact, why not just release their lower-profile games for about £25 at launch? I'm sure games like Syndicate would have done a lot better if they weren't launching at the same price as a big ticket release like ME3. Heck, I might have given it a punt at £25, but now it's bomba'd and I've heard it does everything it can to wank the player off rather than present a challenge, I'm totally not interested in it. That's £25 that EA won't get, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way about the game.

Totally agree with you.

The same pricing structure might start seeping into American gaming at some stage and at that stage, publishers will have to do something and structured pricing is the future. EA, Capcom, Sega etc would make so much more with structured selling points. Their games might sell for longer and be viewed in better terms rather than lose sales and being labelled as a "bomba".

Omikaru

That's brilliant. How are the 3DS prices?

Can't believe i'm contemplating handheld gaming, but £35 for a DS is literally the right price for me at the moment.

The DS is a wonderful machine. I think in terms of levels of awesomeness, it neared PS2 levels. The library for that system was so comprehensively huge, and of exceptional quality too. About the only thing it really lacked was a plethora of manshooters, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

That's brilliant. How are the 3DS prices?

Can't believe i'm contemplating handheld gaming, but £35 for a DS is literally the right price for me at the moment.

DS Lite's are great and there are a tonne of very cheap DS games in the sale at the moment. I'd recommend Dragon Quest VI or IX if you're into RPG's, they're priced at £7.98 and £9.98 IIRC. You can also find titles such as Professor Layton, Rhythm Paradise, Advance Wars and Mario Kart all at cheap prices.

A second-hand 3DS is £115 at the moment, which is pretty decent. A lot of the ones we've had traded in at our shop have been spotless and hardly played (a few traded in to get the Vita.) You're pretty much getting an untouched 3DS for just over £100.

Brera said:
I dispute that. The DS is nothing like the PS2 in terms of software library.

That belongs to the GBA.

The GBA had a fantastic library of games, but I do agree with Omikaru. There is a lot of shovel-ware for the DS, much more than the GBA, but if you avoid it there are a tonne of great games for the system.

I went into the Sutton branch of Gamestation expecting to come back with a small hoard today (their usually a lot better then my local game when it comes to stock) but the staff there told me that early Thursday one guy had literally bought half the store (spent over £400 just on software), before they'd even finished ticketing. So I end up with just a few throwaway two quid platinums lol.

Then I go into the GAME and their tills have stopped reading cards properly and they're getting abuse of a pissed off customer. Again nothing of any real note, got New Vegas Complete for £19 but that's about it.

The prices on most of the stuff I saw was basically bringing stuff in parity with those you see online...except second hand.

I just picked up 11 games for £55
One of which was Arkham City at £20.

Other M for £4
Metroid Prime 3 for £2
battalions wars Wii for £2
Fable III for £7
Crysis 2 for £7
Halo 3, crackdown , medal of honor tier and some kids games

HUD rumor:
Just been in Game and Gamestation in Washington to be informed by the manager that as it had been so successful they had put the prices back up for the weekend!

So much for clearing stock! Both forza 3 and gears 2 were £5
I can see it only affecting a few key games though...I'm sure GAME could have gotten rid of Forza 3 and gears 2 for £2.98 but probably didn't want them used against the company in the £5 credit bonus at Gamestation.

Gav

After a visit into 1 GAME yesterday and 2 today, got all of this for a total of around £27!

vrGgU.jpg

PaulLFC

What... one of the receipts says I have over £6 on a reward card, so I try to link it to my account and it says "This reward card cannot be linked. (no mention of why) Please contact customer services.". Ring up customer services, phone lines closed. Brilliant.

Dragnet

What... one of the receipts says I have over £6 on a reward card, so I try to link it to my account and it says "This reward card cannot be linked. (no mention of why) Please contact customer services.". Ring up customer services, phone lines closed. Brilliant.

I've had that issue since forever. Think it's to do with older reward cards.

mxgt

Banned
Was just walking around town, decided to pop into game to look at their Vita prices.

Golden Abyss for £42.99 pre owned
KuGsj.gif

I then walked out

Facism

my local game put all their prices back to normal and the staff were properly smarmy and derisory about it, too.

Oxx

Good thing I was paying attention in Gamestation earlier. The dude tried to put the Dragon Quest Monsters Joker card in my Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2 box.

That's almost as bad as the time when I almost received Super Paper Mario in my Super Mario Galaxy box.

Gutted games suck.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Went to three stores yesterday (Victoria, Oxford Street and Regent Street) and found nothing that interests me. Then again I own a DS and Wii so most of the preowned stuff is drivel. Anything that would be of interest I already owned (Sin and Punishment 2, Day of Crisis etc).

Might just pick up a Wario figurine to finish off my points. At least I got a couple of streetpasses along the way.

jono51

Banned
So, my sister hit gamestation and picked up Gears 1, Bayonetta & Fallout 3 for a tenner. I went into the city centre a little later and got Gears 2, RDR, Rhythm Paradise and Advance wars for ~£17. Pretty decent overall, and all the stuff was complete and in good condition for preowned stuff. Gears 2 even came with an unused code for a map pack which is cool I guess. Both game and gamestation were pretty busy. The few times I had gone in over the years I've never seen so many in there. I couldn't help but laugh at the ME3 strategy guides they were trying to flog at the tills though.

God damn it. Blew my reward points on Advance Wars DC on the DS, but forgot my old university address was in the account still, so sent it there by accident. No issue I thought, I'll just cancel the order. Except I can't, as the website shows it's shipped after 1 minute...

Since I don't live there anymore, it'll get forwarded to my department. Wonder if I'll ever finally get it.

Edit: no my mistake! The orders on my account page aren't in date order for some reason, so I clicked on an order from two years ago when I ordered the same game, but returned it, as it was preowned and I paid for new at the time.

BibiMaghoo

This is terrible news.

If Gamestation close, the only store in my City that sells games will be HMV..

A decade ago we had 7 stores selling games in the City. 4 of them selling just games.

If I had the money, I would buy the chain and close GAME, but leave Gamestation open and sell off the stores no longer used.

They were always in competing places. They always had both in Cities and towns across the street from each other. It was pretty stupid.

Brera

Banned
Ive reached my breaking point.

I'm selling up on Monday morning. Lost £200 so I'll cut my loses :-(

Fuck GAME! Should have sold at 9.5p, would have ended up £350 in profit but greed got to me!

Useless bastards! I feel sorry for the poor saps that have lost thousands!

Kyari

Went into my local Game in Newcastle, pretty much every single game was reduced in price. Last minute attempt to improve end of year financials as well as their current money crisis I imagine.

SSX is 45 quid in my local supermarkets - that's the future guys!
£40 in mine (well, Asda anyway)... the exact same price as Game.

Besides that, why would you buy something like that from Game anyway? It's cheaper online and more often than not you can get it before you could have got it from Game.

Oh fuck sake. I have a look in here after discovering my £40 GAME credit and thinking I should use it sometime, only to see post after post about everyone grabbing bargains... Which means not only am I going to have to ruin my lazy Sunday by going into town, but there's probably going to be hardly any stock left of anything decent.

Watch the supermarkets sell all new games at £50+ once all the competition is gone. This is going to get really shitty really fast imo.

Moobabe

£40 in mine (well, Asda anyway)... the exact same price as Game.

Besides that, why would you buy something like that from Game anyway? It's cheaper online and more often than not you can get it before you could have got it from Game.

I know this sounds stupid - but people have genuinely come up to me in GAME asking about certain games, that we don't have, and said "well where else can I get it?" GAME is, for a lot of people, the one stop shop to buy games. In the 5 hours I was in today we took 3 grand - considering the town I live in AND that we have barely any new stock that's pretty good going.

I'm already regretting my purchases.

Bloody sales making people buy things they don't really want.

I walked into game on thursday, grabbed about 3 games and then decided no, I won't play them any time soon and already have ME2/3 to play, orange box and wrc 2, i'm not going to buy cheap games if I don't play them.

Oh fuck sake. I have a look in here after discovering my £40 GAME credit and thinking I should use it sometime, only to see post after post about everyone grabbing bargains... Which means not only am I going to have to ruin my lazy Sunday by going into town, but there's probably going to be hardly any stock left of anything decent.

Watch the supermarkets sell all new games at £50+ once all the competition is gone. This is going to get really shitty really fast imo.

Why do people continue to think that supermarkets sell games cheaply because GAME exists? Nothing will change here, absolutely nothing.

So GAME won't exist, people will go buy online or buy from supermarkets/HMV/CEX. People who exclusively shopped at GAME (of which there are probably 0 people) will go elsewhere and reap the benefits of not being buggered over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom