• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Retailer GAME is dead | Brera's Lament

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would happen if they went bust/declared administration today and someone still had an issue with their order or was awaiting delivery of a game?

Honestly have no idea.

They would most likely continue to trade "in administration" for at least some time so would probably be ok

winstano

"GRAB YOURS QUICK: Preowned White Nintendo Wii only £39.99! Grab yours today whilst stocks last! bit.ly/GCu5yT"

From the Twitter-ville. Looks like desperation to me.

What would happen if they went bust/declared administration today and someone still had an issue with their order or was awaiting delivery of a game?

Honestly have no idea but they're still pushing preorders/deposits.

Well as this thread has been shown, the staff in the stores have been told next to nothing about the stores future, other than it's "Business as usual"- so they peddle preorders and so on in hopes things are going to get better. As I explained to someone on Twitter, if GAME sends out a memo to staff to STOP preorders, that is when the jig will truly be up. Because when they give up on that, they effectively give up on the business anyway.

Is it a bit futile? Maybe - but the administrators will likely try to honour those preorders if possible. I still wouldn't put money in there in case the administrators take the hard line though.

Any people with gift cards should spend those asap too, as I recall with Woolies and Zavvi, when they went into admin, the gift cards became worthless pieces of plastic. Same will go for the reward card points, once the stores enter administration, they'll very likely shut down the reward scheme and not allow any redemption of points for the remaining time left they plan to trade

Ok, got a reply from GAME - the PSN £10 Wallet top up was out of stock but it was accidently left on their website, so I'm getting a refund - whether that includes my points I'm not sure.

But either way, yay - will purchase Journey direct from PSN now.

Well as this thread has been shown, the staff in the stores have been told next to nothing about the stores future, other than it's "Business as usual"- so they peddle preorders and so on in hopes things are going to get better. As I explained to someone on Twitter, if GAME sends out a memo to staff to STOP preorders, that is when the jig will truly be up. Because when they give up on that, they effectively give up on the business anyway.

Is it a bit futile? Maybe - but the administrators will likely try to honour those preorders if possible. I still wouldn't put money in there in case the administrators take the hard line though.

Any people with gift cards should spend those asap too, as I recall with Woolies and Zavvi, when they went into admin, the gift cards became worthless pieces of plastic. Same will go for the reward card points, once the stores enter administration, they'll very likely shut down the reward scheme and not allow any redemption of points for the remaining time left they plan to trade

I may be wrong but i seem to remember with zavvi they let you use gift cards at half value or as part payment or something, i could see games administrators doing something similar just to get money through the tills

Omikaru

it's preowned, though. What happens if you get sent a lemon of a console and GAME goes "boom" in the week?

Well, if that happens then you're £40 down, aren't you? Just suck it up and sell it on eBay for parts.

And anyway, if you're buying a pre-owned Wii from GAME at this point you should be well aware of the risks involved.

If it was the US, I'd say you're screwed. Doesn't the UK have stricter consumer protections?

We have more pro-consumer laws, but there's nothing those laws can really do to help a consumer who buys a broken system from a defunct retailer - that's the risk you take for the price I'm afraid. I suppose you could complain to the administrator, but far as consumer laws go in that situation, the customers right to a refund is severely cut down (because as you might imagine, last thing the administrator will want is to give away any more money)

At that point you'll just have to hope sending it off to Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo won't cost too much to get it fixed. Getting a Wii shouldn't be too much of an issue though, I'ld be more concerned about older consoles and any older PS3/Xbox 360 systems though

I may be wrong but i seem to remember with zavvi they let you use gift cards at half value or as part payment or something, i could see games administrators doing something similar just to get money through the tills

Ah my memory must be wonky, I thought they stopped taking them entirely when the admins came in, I guess you just couldn't pay in full with a gift card then

Brera

Banned
45 minutes before the megaton!

Remember the last time I said there was a megaton due? You all laughed but within hours the unwashed heathens of UKgaf desceneded upon GMG!

HuntTheMusic

Neo Member
Anyone with gift cards/store credit would become an unsecured creditor of the administration and have to make a claim accordingly. Its at the administrators discretion if he validates them for use following appointment but he is not obliged to.

Loyalty points will be instantly worthless because it was an in store initiative.

Someone asked earlier if the directors can put the Company into administration and yes they can however they have to give the bank five business days notice of their intention to do so. At which point I would expect the bank to appoint their own administrator.

45 minutes before the megaton!

Remember the last time I said there was a megaton due? You all laughed but within hours the unwashed heathens of UKgaf desceneded upon GMG!

What's your source, is it the finance forum again?

--

MCV tweet: "GAME has not reached a new agreement with EA. Though that's not to say there's no grey/unofficial stock in some stores"

Brera

Banned
Yup, same forum!

There is a meeting going on right now, unknown for what purpose but an RNS is expected!

Fingers, toes, penis!

We're leaving together
But still it's farewell
And maybe we'll come back
To earth, who can tell?
I guess there is no one to blame
We're leaving ground
Will things ever be the same again?

winstano

Brace yourselves!

imager.php

Brera

Banned
GMG has the drill that will peirce the heavens and do the undoable and think the unthinkable!

I'm gonna make bank! Bitch!

Danj

I was going to post a popcorn.gif but looking on Google it really seems like the world needs some better popcorn gifs.

It went up 0.01 since I opened it... boooo

....and I just noticed game were trading at almost 300 during 2008... I never knew the recent fall was THAT bad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom