• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Retailer GAME is dead | Brera's Lament

Status
Not open for further replies.
If anybody could PM me should a miracle occur and Skyrim goes down to £20 or less, that would be awesome.

Been trying to replace my scratched disc for months!

Raide

I still have my BF3 Limited Edition pre-order in my local game that I have not had chance to pick up. :D And all those stupid points I have not used.

When game goes into administration i'm assuming if anyone wants to buy (at least a portion of) the shops they'll want plenty of stock so they may getter a better price for the shops if they dont clear out everything

HuntTheMusic

Neo Member
One of two things will happen if administrators are appointed next week or the end of this week. They will either trade the business in which case you will see heavy discounting across all stores for old stock as they need to fund the administration process while they search for a buyer. During this time you will see stores close down a few at a time depending on profitability as their stocks dwindle and staying open would effectively cost more money than they can recoup in the most basic of terms. Stock will then be delivered from closed stores to higher profile landmark 'sale' stores where the footfall is higher. This is effectively what happened with Zavvi and then the brand, goodwill and web business was sold to The Hut group by the administrator.

Alternatively (and this is the most likely) a pre packaged sale will be agreed where by a deal is put together for select assets/leases/brand etc... to be bought but this will likely be limited to the profitable stores. Its also worth noting that a deal could be done for Gamestation and GAME to be sold as individual entities as they technically have their own brand and goodwill.

PaulLFC

Just went into Gamestation in Liverpool and found Midnight Club LA on 360 for £4.99, one of those unboxed games in the generic plastic cases.

Now I know a few people on here and in work have got unused DLC codes etc with their preowned games, so I decided to ask if it was the original Midnight Club LA, or the one with the DLC.

I got a reply of "Normal one." and a look as if I'd asked whether they sell unicorns and magic beans.

Nice.

dc89

They aint going under til the end of the week when all the bills are due

Question for anyone working for game, are you paid weekly or monthly and what day are you supposed to get paid?

I don't work for GAME but I work in retail and I get paid monthly. So does my GF.

I get paid on the 26th of every month and my GF get's paid on the last Friday of said month.

I hazard a guess that the staff are paid on a monthly basis.

Erm, whoa...

I just used my last remaining £5 of points on the website to pay towards a £10 PSN Wallet thing....

I got the email receipt, and an email telling me it's ready - but where's the code?

I still have my BF3 Limited Edition pre-order in my local game that I have not had chance to pick up. :D And all those stupid points I have not used.

you know that after so long they can sell it or send it back, right? you might be fighting for a full refund.

You might be lucky but after so long I bet that copy has gone walkies.

Also spend those points asap!

Raide

you know that after so long they can sell it or send it back, right? you might be fighting for a full refund.

You might be lucky but after so long I bet that copy has gone walkies.

Also spend those points asap!

Yeah, it has probably long gone. No real problem, will just pick it up via Amazon or Play. :D

Zafir

Erm, whoa...

I just used my last remaining £5 of points on the website to pay towards a £10 PSN Wallet thing....

I got the email receipt, and an email telling me it's ready - but where's the code?
The code is usually on the final screen of the checkout. It should also be on the "Your Download is Ready email".

The code is usually on the final screen of the checkout. It should also be on the "Your Download is Ready email".

Hmm, where "Activation Code:" is on the email, it's blank so presumably it should be there.

I've emailed them but got a response saying:

"Many thanks for getting in touch.

Here at GAME we pride ourselves on our customer service and hope to resolve your query within 48 hours. Unfortunately however, we are currently experiencing high volumes of contact and this has regrettably impacted on our average response times. Please bear with us as we are working hard to reduce response time, whilst maintaining the high level of customer support you expect from us."

This is going to be a very annoying wait.

Patryn

So what day this week do people expect all the Sony stock to mysteriously disappear, as Sony reclaims its property to save it from the Administrators?

Zafir

Hmm, where "Activation Code:" is on the email, it's blank so presumably it should be there.

I've emailed them but got a response saying:

"Many thanks for getting in touch.

Here at GAME we pride ourselves on our customer service and hope to resolve your query within 48 hours. Unfortunately however, we are currently experiencing high volumes of contact and this has regrettably impacted on our average response times. Please bear with us as we are working hard to reduce response time, whilst maintaining the high level of customer support you expect from us."

This is going to be a very annoying wait.
Yeah, that's where it should be. Sucks either way. I've bought codes from them quite a few times thanks to vouchers and reward points and never had that issue. Good job too, I hate their customer support.

Yeah, that's where it should be. Sucks either way. I've bought codes from them quite a few times thanks to vouchers and reward points and never had that issue. Good job too, I hate their customer support.

Yeah hopefully it gets resolved quickly, I wouldn't really mind if it was any other company at the moment, but in the financial position GAME are in I don't want to be fucked over by them failing before I get anything :p

stuiggs07

Neo Member
To the guys that work at GAME:

Are you seeing new stock getting replenished in your stores? Are deliveries the same as before?

Deliveries are still coming every day but its only like 1 or 2 boxes. Mostly things like controller's, stylus', strategy guides, etc. at the moment our main source of stock is what's being traded in.

So what day this week do people expect all the Sony stock to mysteriously disappear, as Sony reclaims its property to save it from the Administrators?
I wouldn't have thought they'd have been too concerned. That's the point of the "property of Sony" wrappers.

HuntTheMusic

Neo Member
Zavvi was different, they traded through the lucrative 2008 January sales, and didn't have a synchronised rent bill for 1275 shops and 10,000 employees hitting at the end of the month.

If they continue to occupy any of those stores without paying the rent in just FIVE days time then the landlord can sue them for trespassing, and thats a lot of landlords. They can't simply choose some stores to close as they are on leases, only 35 stores have their leases expiring in the first 6 months of this year, and they are closing them now anyway. The costs they would bring upon themselves for breaking 1000+ leases are astronomical, even if you just consider lawyer fees dealing with all those claims.

If they can't pay the staff at the end of the month then why would anyone keep working and not just walk out.
So they HAVE to pay both, rent and wages, to keep any shops going. Yet GAME couldn't even afford to stock Mass Effect 3.
They certainly can't afford a complex wind-down procedure even if all the above wasn't true. GAME Group is just too big, top-heavy and complicated to do anything else other than pull the plug.
They are going to utterly and totally collapse this weekend. Like Brera, but for opposite reasons, i would stake my money on it.

I just don't want those poor sods on the shop floor having any false hopes, you guys should expect the worst. Same goes for you bargain hunters.

I know you think you are right here but you are completely underestimating the powers of an administrator. When an application for an administration order is filed in court that filing grants something called a moratorium. That moratorium prevents any creditor taking action against the Company. A landlord cannot 'sue them for trespassing' as you put it because of the aforementioned moratorium.

When the administrator takes appointment he is only required to satisfy any liabilities incurred during his time in office of the Company. That means all previous liabilities are just that, previous. He pays rent pro rata for the sites he opts to trade while appointed. He can disclaim any leases he wishes and hand them back to the landlord. Do you honestly think they have a single lease agreement for all those stores?

Zavvi was different, they traded through the lucrative 2008 January sales, and didn't have a synchronised rent bill for 1275 shops and 10,000 employees hitting at the end of the month.

If they continue to occupy any of those stores without paying the rent in just FIVE days time then the landlord can sue them for trespassing, and thats a lot of landlords. They can't simply choose some stores to close as they are on leases, only 35 stores have their leases expiring in the first 6 months of this year, and they are closing them now anyway. The costs they would bring upon themselves for breaking 1000+ leases are astronomical, even if you just consider lawyer fees dealing with all those claims.

If they can't pay the staff at the end of the month then why would anyone keep working and not just walk out.
So they HAVE to pay both, rent and wages, to keep any shops going. Yet GAME couldn't even afford to stock Mass Effect 3.
They certainly can't afford a complex wind-down procedure even if all the above wasn't true. GAME Group is just too big, top-heavy and complicated to do anything else other than pull the plug.
They are going to utterly and totally collapse this weekend. Like Brera, but for opposite reasons, i would stake my money on it.

I just don't want those poor sods on the shop floor having any false hopes, you guys should expect the worst. Same goes for you bargain hunters.

It wouldnt be in the best interests of a landlord to sue them for tresspassing even if they could, theybare broke so its in the landlords best interests for the administrators to make as much money as possible and therefore the landlords stand at least some chance of getting at least some of the money they are owed

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
To those working at Game. I wish you the very best and hope things turn around for you.

Went to Game & Gamestation, and for stores that are closing on Saturday the sales should be alot better than they are.

I did pick-up The King of Fighters XII for £1.98 & Divinity: The Dragon Knight Saga for £9.98.

It'll all be there right to the very end, the reason Sony have their stock on consignment to GAME is most likely because they were prepared for this very situation. Administration hits, stock all goes back to Sony, they'll distribute it out to other suppliers.

Went to Game & Gamestation, and for stores that are closing on Saturday the sales should be alot better than they are.

I did pick-up The King of Fighters XII for £1.98 & Divinity: The Dragon Knight Saga for £9.98.

Stock not sold will be passed on for cheap to another firm or something, so anything which still holds value isn't going to drop to £1 if they can sell it to another buyer for a little more then that.

Have consoles dropped in price at all?

Stock not sold will be passed on for cheap to another firm or something, so anything which still holds value isn't going to drop to £1 if they can sell it to another buyer for a little more then that.

Have consoles dropped in price at all?

Same old prices at my local stores. -_-

Omikaru

Just found Dead Rising 2: Off the Record on PC for a fiver in their Cardiff St David's 2 store. Probably my last purchase from them, unless I decide to go back and pick up Inazuma Eleven for a tenner...

As has already been said, they'll be open until the end of the week. I'm going to pop in today and see if I can get a few last minute deals, but I think it's safe to assume that gamers have picked the stores dry at this point.

Actually, you'd be mistaken! We have plenty of stock at the moment, the most I've seen in weeks. Lots of 360 / PS3 / DS and Wii accessories and tonnes of pre-owned still (people are trading as much as buying at the moment.) We still have quite a bit of "new" stock and have had a till update today where we are able to order games from the website for customers. They can pay in-store and have the games delivered to their houses if desired (which has proved popular so far with our customers that dislike paying for products online.)

I have no idea if we're closing or not; but don't just assume our shelves are empty. There's plenty of stuff in our store (also I bought Castlevania today on PS3 for £2.98. :D )

Murkas

MGS3:Snake Eater for £2.

Don't know why I bought it, I already have Subsistence and planning to get the HD remakes on Vita...

Still haven't got my code...they mentioned in an email that they had issues for people ordering over the weekend so, who knows...

I want Journey!

Calmine

I still have £15 on a gift card and there literally nothing in there that I fancy getting. Anyone I know are the same it's crap in GAME. Can you use the gift cards on their website?

I still have £15 on a gift card and there literally nothing in there that I fancy getting. Anyone I know are the same it's crap in GAME. Can you use the gift cards on their website?

Don't think so; or you couldn't the last time I checked unfortunately.

I don't have anything left now, but I'm tempted to trade in a few games and use it to get some PSN/XBL credit.

OMG Aero

No and I was in the exact same situation.
Just use the gift card for Microsoft points/PSN credit/eShop credit.

I see more realistic figures over Game's funding came out then. Any buyer would need £180m to buy them up and clear the debt. I'm told the banks won't accept any bids that do not clear the debts up front. The administrator would be able to sell enough assets to make up the £10m of VAT and £100m of debt, the landlords and trade creditors would have to suck it up and take the hit. This is why EA, Capcom, Microsoft, Sony, Activision, Namco and Nintendo have pulled their credit lines either completely or partially in the case of Sony, none of them want to lose their money.

The board at Game are trying desperately to hold onto their jobs which means any bidder which wants to have sweeping management changes are rebuffed, hence the irritation from the banks. They are truly despicable and their actions are going to cost 6000 jobs across Europe with at least 3000 lost in the UK.

Patryn

I see more realistic figures over Game's funding came out then. Any buyer would need £180m to buy them up and clear the debt. I'm told the banks won't accept any bids that do not clear the debts up front. The administrator would be able to sell enough assets to make up the £10m of VAT and £100m of debt, the landlords and trade creditors would have to suck it up and take the hit. This is why EA, Capcom, Microsoft, Sony, Activision, Namco and Nintendo have pulled their credit lines either completely or partially in the case of Sony, none of them want to lose their money.

The board at Game are trying desperately to hold onto their jobs which means any bidder which wants to have sweeping management changes are rebuffed, hence the irritation from the banks. They are truly despicable and their actions are going to cost 6000 jobs across Europe with at least 3000 lost in the UK.

Seriously? Are they that deluded that they think a white knight is about to come sweeping down and save them? Or are they just thinking that if they get fucked, everyone gets fucked.

Don't worry about the jobs, David Milliband guarantees everyone a job for 6 months! Because his Jewish dad had a job once and what was I talking about again?

Seriously? Are they that deluded that they think a white knight is about to come sweeping down and save them? Or are they just thinking that if they get fucked, everyone gets fucked.

My guess is that they think Gamestop will come in and save them because their model is almost the same as Game's. Again they seem to believe the hype that they are too big to fail and that they are vital to the UK games industry so even if they aren't bought out by a benevolent investor that the industry players will come together and save them.

I see neither as a likely scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom