• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
FallingEdge said:
VF4/Evo was a pretty popular game in the PS2 days. Not on the level of CvS2 but popular nonetheless.
Problem was no online play so a lot of people didn't get to experience that. No online/Dying arcades = fighting games in sleep mode for most people.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
QisTopTier said:
1. Firebrand
2. Rocket Raccoon
3. Phoenix Wright
4. Ghost Rider
5. Srider
6. Frank West
7. Nemisis
8. Nova
9. Vergil
10.Hawkeye
11. Dr. Strange
12. Iron Fist

I stand by this list til I'm proven wrong months down the line
Wow, Iron Fist that low with how much love he's been getting?

Installing! :D

Timedog said:
-when it is best to use certain combos (why choose one combo over another in a certain situation)
you use whatever works, with the endgoal usually either being damage/kill, meter buiding, or positioning for oki/resets. of course, you're not beating up on a stationary dummy, so you need combos that work on standing opponents, crouching opponents, ground-to-air via anti-air, air-to-air i.e. jumploops, and very important especially for this game getting a combo off a (air)throw. also, depending on your team, its also a good idea to have combos that hit confirm off your assists and combos that work after a tac. also remember, your combos might be different in xfactor lvl3. once you get all those down, you might start looking into corner-specific combos that do big damage.

-what type of assist you would need to have to accomplish certain combos
easiest combo extending assists are ones that either otg, or ones that create long enough hitstun to combo from your own otg.

-what assists to choose with your characters
depends what you want or what your point character is trying to achieve. there are a variety of assists used for different purposes, with usually the better assists that can be used for more than 1 purpose. generally though, i like to always have an assist that can be used to make blockstrings safe(r). which can either allow you to dash/tri-dash back in for more pressure, or to back off and throw a projectile or just reset the situation.

-ways of deciding team order
-different methodologies for deciding your team (Actually the Viscant tutorial for MvC3 Vanilla goes over the Battery/Assist/Anchor method, but I think there are other methods to)
-character specific ways of getting in/mixing up
-how/when to use xfactor and do it intelligently
-stuff that you should never/rarely use with a character
-effective ways of practicing
-ways to defend against specific characters (what to look out for when your opponent chooses a certain character)
-etc
too lazy atm to answer the rest, but you shouldn't be thinking purely of combos. you need to know your basic buttons and what beats what, and you also need to be able to move around the screen effectively, i.e. wavedashing, tridashing. if your character has a very specific touch-of-death combo that only works in the corner and only on standing opponents, what's the point of practicing that sole combo if you can't even get to meet the conditions for that combo to occur in a real match?

Just picked my game up, gonna play around w/ it for a few hours :D

Now though, I have to figure out which fight stick to actually get fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu...

Anyone here play PS3/PC give me a recommendation? It'll prolly cost like $100 right?

Played a single online match last night, and almost got OCV'd by the power of the power of the power of the power...
Dorm's zoning continues to be ridiculous
I am rusty. Gotta hit the lab some more.

I haven't played with characters I don't know how to play in a long time!

Learning Frank and Phoenix is gonna be tricky, but it's a lot of fun.

SolarPowered said:
Well... BlazBlue is the first 2D(strictly 2D) fighter besides Mahvel where America actually competes with Japan. I don't think that the tutorial itself was a huge part of that, but something about the game was done right for such a niche game to develop an EVO worthy community/game.

I mean... KoF has been around for forever as far as I am concerned yet BlazBlue is the one at major events and tournaments as a non Capcom 2D fighter.

Uh....... the only reason why the game is at EVO is because it's supposed to be a successor to Guilty Gear which has always been one of the mainstays of competitive fighting. And that game has failed miserably as a GG sucessor, most GG players hate that game and the competitive scene for it is almost dead. So Arc System has turned what that was supposed to be a highly beloved series into a niche series, which shows how far they have fallen. This goes to prove that tutorials are completely worthless.

And no, America does not compete with the best Japanese players in Blazblue. It's just that the game is such a failure that even the Japanese Guilty Gear players didn't bother picking it up.

LegatoB

scytheavatar said:
Uh....... the only reason why the game is at EVO is because it's supposed to be a successor to Guilty Gear which has always been one of the mainstays of competitive fighting. And that game has failed miserably as a GG sucessor, most GG players hate that game and the competitive scene for it is almost dead. So Arc System has turned what that was supposed to be a highly beloved series into a niche series, which shows how far they have fallen. This goes to prove that tutorials are completely worthless.
That's an interesting conclusion you've drawn. It doesn't seem to be supported by the rest of your argument at all!

And no, America does not compete with the best Japanese players in Blazblue. It's just that the game is such a failure that even the Japanese Guilty Gear players didn't bother picking it up.
So what you're saying is the best Japanese Blazblue players aren't the best Japanese Blazblue players because they aren't Guilty Gear players?

abq

demosthenes said:
Just picked my game up, gonna play around w/ it for a few hours :D

Now though, I have to figure out which fight stick to actually get fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu...

Anyone here play PS3/PC give me a recommendation? It'll prolly cost like $100 right?
Super cheap route: TvC stick plus adapter. The parts are knock-offs, but supposedly quite good. Easy to swap for sanwa or seimitsu parts if you want.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0032ISZL8/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003711698/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The dlc codes work already! Got my femme fatale pack, waiting for an email from Best Buy and Amazon (got two extras for friends).

Also, thank god it no longer hitches, would wreck combos on my tv.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
robut said:
The dlc codes work already! Got my femme fatale pack, waiting for an email from Best Buy and Amazon (got two extras for friends).

Also, thank god it no longer hitches, would wreck combos on my tv.

Hmmm, Casual Friday Morrigan or White Morrigan... decisions decisions...

LegatoB said:
That's an interesting conclusion you've drawn. It doesn't seem to be supported by the rest of your argument at all!

So what you're saying is the best Japanese Blazblue players aren't the best Japanese Blazblue players because they aren't Guilty Gear players?

I am saying that Guilty Gear was a mainstream game and the likes of RF, Kindevu, Kazunoko etc were all well known Guilty Gear players. Daigo won Guilty Gear in EVO during 2003. Now Blazblue is no longer a mainstream game.

scytheavatar said:

You and your opinions.
GuardianE said:
Hmmm, Casual Friday Morrigan or White Morrigan... decisions decisions...
lawrence_office_space_if_you_had_3_3_billion_dollars_what_would_you_do_with_it-s498x263-47204-580.jpg

God's Beard said:
Who's the best Blaz player on GAF? As the best Jojo's player, I want to see whose skills transfer over more to Persona 4 Ultimate.
Your mention of Persona being like Jojo pushed me over the edge. I'll get my hands on the game if it gets a release in the US for sure. It was practically a lock when I saw a guy who fights by smacking people with a folding chair.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
*sigh*

I just spent an hour doing Iron Man's Mission 7. My thumb now hurts like hell from holding the controller the way I do and it'll probably be days before it stops hurting. If it took me that long and that much pain to do one combo one time, I don't know how I'm going to get good. =/

zlatko

Banned
Not sure if anyone wants to bite, but whenever Amazon mails me the DLC code I'll be selling it for $5.00 PayPal Gift. Can do the official business in the B/S/T thread.

PM me if you are interested.

OSHAN

zlatko said:
Not sure if anyone wants to bite, but whenever Amazon mails me the DLC code I'll be selling it for $5.00 PayPal Gift. Can do the official business in the B/S/T thread.

PM me if you are interested.

Don't these costume packs cost 4 dollars in the store?

All the talk about tutorial mode is silly here. Capcom will never get it right, but they COULD get mission mode right. Make each mission a series of challenges that range from doing single special moves to complex combos. Some crazy people will bitch and moan about mission ten being ridiculous, but getting to mission five would mean that you are at least competent and you get way more practice combos that way.

That is the way missions are structured in BB and I feel like I learn way more than I do from the Capcom missions. All they have to do is make sure that you can automatically replay combos in mission mode so that you can see them being done. It is a HUGE help and it destroys having to search youtube for missions instead.
scytheavatar said:
I am saying that Guilty Gear was a mainstream game and the likes of RF, Kindevu, Kazunoko etc were all well known Guilty Gear players. Daigo won Guilty Gear in EVO during 2003. Now Blazblue is no longer a mainstream game.
There is nothing mainstream about Guilty Gear.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
scytheavatar said:
It's just that the game is such a failure that even the Japanese Guilty Gear players didn't bother picking it up.
OH HEY LOOK EVERYONE SOMEONE WHO DOESN'T KNOW SHIT POSTING LET'S ALL POINT AT HIM AND LAUGH. lolololol

What the heck is with these endings from Vanilla?

Here is Morrigan's, literally:

Page 1:
Morrigan: You know...

Page 2:
Morrigan: A girl could learn to like it here!

Why would they shorten it down to nothing...?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
God's Beard said:
Frame data.
Horrible players don't need frame data they just look at it and go WTF NUMBERS OMGAH FUCK WHAT DOES IT MEAN I THOUGHT I WAS PLAYING A GAME NOT TAKING A MATH COURSE.

Ahem, ya. But yeah the guide has a walk through of every character and ways to play them it's almost 600 pages or so

Grifter

SolarPowered said:
Give zoning a shot on this go around. The playstyle got ridiculously buffed to the point that there are probably 15+ STRONG(not just viable) zoners in the game.
Will do! Hope it's not too annoying as to turn off newbies actually but MvC3 made it way too hard to zone the top tier, and you couldn't do snapbacks against Phoenix teams. I argued that someone like Chris should have a full screen snapback, and it's not like he gets an easy mixup on her way in.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Grifter said:
Will do! Hope it's not too annoying as to turn off newbies actually but MvC3 made it way too hard to zone the top tier, and you couldn't do snapbacks against Phoenix teams. I argued that someone like Chris should have a full screen snapback, and it's not like he gets an easy mixup on her way in.
He can dash into normal attacks now he doesn't need something wacky like that.

Tucah

you speak so well
I think Rocket Raccoon is an early favorite for the new characters. I've played as all but Strider now, but I wasn't a huge Strider fan in MvC2 so I doubt he'll be high on my list.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
08:47:00 AM Merced CA US Out for delivery

omg omg omg omg :D so close!

Tucah said:
I think Rocket Raccoon is an early favorite for the new characters. I've played as all but Strider now, but I wasn't a huge Strider fan in MvC2 so I doubt he'll be high on my list.

Yeah I cant wait to get my hands on RR. I might make a strider based team later though just cause I like his classic outfit so much.

Grifter said:
This part always makes me lol because this is the biggest gripe I had with the game. Magneto and the top tier could catch you no matter where you ran and you sure as hell couldn't push them out. Instead of fixing the few top tiers... they killed air dash blocking for everyone in one fell swoop.

I don't despise the nerf THAT much, but I can't help laughing when I think of that haha.
God's Beard said:
In the fighting game scene? Yeah. If enough people play it to have a tournament, it's mainstream.
This the first time I've ever heard of mainstream being defined this way for fighters. I knew having a tourney scene makes for a healthier community, but that seems to stretch it just a bit.

It'd be like comparing the counter strike community with the CoD community. There is a clear difference in size and audience for each game...
AnkiRendan said:
What the heck is with these endings from Vanilla?

Here is Morrigan's, literally:

Page 1:
Morrigan: You know...

Page 2:
Morrigan: A girl could learn to like it here!

Why would they shorten it down to nothing...?
The SFxTekken team has gotta eat, mang.
Deadstar said:
Is the BradyGames guide any good? I'm horrible at the game and need as much hand holding as possible.
It'll pick you up and piggyback you to your destination in a jiffy.

It is really good.

Mupod

I have the game in my hands...but I won't be home until like 7. Sigh.

Also my guide just shipped from VGP, as predicted my local EB didn't even know the guide exists (it's not even on the Canadian version of their site). Hopefully it gets here as fast as Catherine did, only other thing I've ever bought from them.

Current first team I'll be trying out: Frank, Nemesis, Taskmaster. Hoping they work out for easy THC levelup shenanigans.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Mupod said:
I have the game in my hands...but I won't be home until like 7. Sigh.

Also my guide just shipped from VGP, as predicted my local EB didn't even know the guide exists (it's not even on the Canadian version of their site). Hopefully it gets here as fast as Catherine did, only other thing I've ever bought from them.

Current first team I'll be trying out: Frank, Nemesis, Taskmaster. Hoping they work out for easy THC levelup shenanigans.
I was thinking you could try Taskmaster Uparrow for a THC I was actually thinking about that last night in bed XD .... I need this game.

Does the PS3 versions framerate still hiccup at heavy moments or did they clean it up?

Gonna play the hell out of Strider. It's been too damn long.

Dartastic

I'm thinking Phoenix Wright, Iron Fist, Nemesis. Yeah. This could work well. -.-

...I also want Strange. Fuck, I love these new characters. I also want Spider-Man though. Ughghgnggnng. When are the DLC costumes available? I want Jean, Scarlet Spider, and X.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom