• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
God, no tutorials I find online actually go over HOW to play the game. It's all stuff that just goes over combos, or tells you how systems in the game function. Usually the "how to use those systems effectively" is skimmed over or not really brought up.

It's like there's this disconnect where people that are good at the game forget non-intuitive stuff they needed to learn in order to get good (probably because they were beginners way back in MvC2 days). The important stuff isn't combos, you can watch any tournament video and see some combos. Seems like this stuff would be way more important:

-when it is best to use certain combos (why choose one combo over another in a certain situation)
-what type of assist you would need to have to accomplish certain combos
-what assists to choose with your characters
-ways of deciding team order
-different methodologies for deciding your team (Actually the Viscant tutorial for MvC3 Vanilla goes over the Battery/Assist/Anchor method, but I think there are other methods to)
-character specific ways of getting in/mixing up
-how/when to use xfactor and do it intelligently
-stuff that you should never/rarely use with a character
-effective ways of practicing
-ways to defend against specific characters (what to look out for when your opponent chooses a certain character)
-etc

I'm probably unrealistically looking for like some magic 4 hour long video(it'd probably have to be super long to go over that much specific stuff for each character) that will never exist, but damn, if I had the Marvel skills/knowledge, I'd make that video.

Been playing umvc3 since yesterday at 8pm... (had it on ps3 urley) up till the release and switched over to 360. So much mahvel... its 4am in cali and im gonna hit gaf and call it a night.

Timedog said:
God, no tutorials I find online actually go over HOW to play the game. It's all stuff that just goes over combos, or tells you how systems in the game function. Usually the "how to use those systems effectively" is skimmed over or not really brought up.

It's like there's this disconnect where people that are good at the game forget non-intuitive stuff they needed to learn in order to get good (probably because they were beginners way back in MvC2 days). The important stuff isn't combos, you can watch any tournament video and see some combos. Seems like this stuff would be way more important:

-when it is best to use certain combos (why choose one combo over another in a certain situation)
-what type of assist you would need to have to accomplish certain combos
-what assists to choose with your characters
-ways of deciding team order
-different methodologies for deciding your team (Actually the Viscant tutorial for MvC3 Vanilla goes over the Battery/Assist/Anchor method, but I think there are other methods to)
-character specific ways of getting in/mixing up
-how/when to use xfactor and do it intelligently
-stuff that you should never/rarely use with a character
-effective ways of practicing
-ways to defend against specific characters (what to look out for when your opponent chooses a certain character)
-etc

I'm probably unrealistically looking for like some magic 4 hour long video(it'd probably have to be super long to go over that much specific stuff for each character) that will never exist, but damn, if I had the Marvel skills/knowledge, I'd make that video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=do3bInlJ6vs&feature=ytfce

has some of what you are looking for

TGMIII

Timedog said:

Only real thing I can give any advice on here is practice. You don't need to win every last match to get better you just need to think about what's going on. In every situation try to think like this:

How much meter do they have, what options does this create for them and from this what's their next logical step.

How are try trying to open you up. Are they doing the same shit or are they changing it up depending on how you're dealing with it. This is a big one for me, you can beat someone who's better than you on a technical/combo level if you can out think them. Take note of how they react to what you do and note what they do when you react to them.

I personally think a lot of people overthink things and hit a wall and get frustrated so having a clear head after every win/loss helps in the long run.

RS4-

Was trying to play ranked UMVC last night and I found a whopping one person in about 20 or so minutes.

And he was in Japan lol.

Vergil looks top tier, but he definitely isn't. He needs way too much meter to do anything. His teleport is way too slow, he loses to anyone with a slide.

Frank takes effort to work with properly, but man he's good when you get him a few levels. Just. OH MY GOD! He'll probably be a good second character, as it's kind of rough to build meter alone.

Firebrand is fucking amazing. There is no way he'll end up like MODOK. He is a force to be reckoned with.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
RS4- said:
Was trying to play ranked UMVC last night and I found a whopping one person in about 20 or so minutes.

And he was in Japan lol.

I've found more and more people (you should have seen how devoid of players the game was last week) online the last few days, and after today everyone will have it so this won't be a problem.

Quick Match actually works now, BTW.

Matches I've played against people outside of North America have generally been atrocious.

And pretty much every ranked match I've played has been against people who are way, way, WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better than my scrubby ass, LOL. I am completely free. There are matches that I pretty much just put the controller down in, because as soon as it starts they're on me and my characters are already dead. I just can't play defensively in this game and fall to massive combos almost immediately. OTG stuff just destroys any chance of recovery.

RS4-

Lyte Edge said:
I've found more and more people (you should have seen how devoid of players the game was last week) online the last few days, and after today everyone will have it so this won't be a problem.

Quick Match actually works now, BTW.

Matches I've played against people outside of North America have generally been atrocious.

And pretty much every ranked match I've played has been against people who are way, way, WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better than my scrubby ass, LOL. I am completely free. There are matches that I pretty much just put the controller down in, because as soon as it starts they're on me and my characters are already dead. I just can't play defensively in this game and fall to massive combos almost immediately. OTG stuff just destroys any chance of recovery.

Lol yeah, just surprised that there wasn't anyone really a day before release.

Out of the 8 matches I've played in ranked/PM, only two have been lag free and that was against the same person.

Just finished playing some guy from Jersey, two bars and he had 42 wins in a row. No surprise how he pulled that off when you can't do anything yourself.

LogicStep

Iron Fist mission 10

How do I make the H, d.H, f.H, j.H, j.S go into H, d.H, b.H work? After the jump h and s and I can connect the next set of Hs.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
SolarPowered said:
Apparently Morrigan's minimum air dash height was decreased and you can combo into her meterfist using f.H on the ground. Her flight was improved in duration by a bit and her soul fists pack another 15k. Her base damage has not been increased either and Astral vision is the exact same as it was in Vanilla.

Her XF3 time is shorter than Phoenix and her XF3 damage got nerfed a bit(five percent)...

What a mixed basket.

Thanks for the breakdown. I was comboing into her meterfist with OTG assist, but it's good to know she has the option of self-comboing it. I don't like the X-Factor nerf for her. If anything, I thought she would remain one of the more untouched characters in that regard.

I missed MarlinPie's stream yesterday. Any new tech for Dante? I hate how my bnb misses on Rocket Raccoon. :(

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
OSHAN said:
Out for delivery.

Did anyone pre-order from Gamestop? If so, are the costume codes active?

Yep. Costume codes were active at midnight last night. Activated my GameStop code as soon as I got the game.

Also, really Capcom? STILL no VS CPU mode? =/

mr. puppy

Banned
oh my god I'm bad at Ghost Rider.

I gotta watch some Dhalsim tutorials or something, its unbearable how bad I am.

Shit I should look at some yun tutorials too, i'm sure that'll gimme some firebrand hints.

also what the hell is a TOD?

GuardianE said:
Thanks for the breakdown. I was comboing into her meterfist with OTG assist, but it's good to know she has the option of self-comboing it. I don't like the X-Factor nerf for her. If anything, I thought she would remain one of the more untouched characters in that regard.

I missed MarlinPie's stream yesterday. Any new tech for Dante? I hate how my bnb misses on Rocket Raccoon. :(
I actually just finished shutting off his stream archive for last night's footage since it got boring. Dante doesn't look too different aside from a damage decrease and invul frames attached to the later parts of Hammer. I don't know much of the terminology for the character or even how to do combos with him, but he seems pretty intact.

Also, Ammy in XF3 should be called the pitbull. Damn she is fast and relentless now.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
SolarPowered said:
Also, Ammy in XF3 should be called the pitbull. Damn she is fast and relentless now.
LOL yeah I agree, they gave her such a huge ass speed upgrade from NOT HAVING ANY AT ALL.

Oh and about 6 more hours til I get my copy yay :D

QisTopTier said:
LOL yeah I agree, they gave her such a huge ass speed upgrade from NOT HAVING ANY AT ALL.

Mines out for delivery also. Too bad school gonna be in the way of me playing much of anything.

OSHAN

Seraphis Cain said:
Yep. Costume codes were active at midnight last night. Activated my GameStop code as soon as I got the game.

Also, really Capcom? STILL no VS CPU mode? =/

Nice! Looking forward to activating the Amazon code, whenever it gets e-mailed to me.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
QisTopTier said:

I wonder if you knew one of his move called Demon Missile...... Because when I played Firebrand's mission and I lol'd when I saw Demon Missile right on the log.

Grifter

I've been blacked out on pre-game hype and there's a release, new character tournament here this weekend. Any particularly notable early cheese to focus on/against?

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
OSHAN said:
Nice! Looking forward to activating the Amazon code, whenever it gets e-mailed to me.

Amazon code really? Guess that's coming to me too :)! So for those who have it how is Xfactor? Better balance or still lame ass overpowered kill three teammates in one combo affair?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
IntelliHeath said:
I wonder if you knew one of his move called Demon Missile...... Because when I played Firebrand's mission and I lol'd when I saw Demon Missile right on the log.
That's why it says it lol. Plus it's dirty :p

Grifter said:
I've been blacked out on pre-game hype and there's a release, new character tournament here this weekend. Any particularly notable early cheese to focus on/against?
Stick to RR and Ghost Rider because it is hell when they create some distance.

You don't want to fight Firebrand as an anchor, Nemesis hits as hard as he is ugly, Vergil is DMC levels of retarded and you should respect Nova like you would Magneto(He will catch you off guard with projectile invul moves, tri jumps, etc.).

Also, Phoenix Wright is the new Phoenix.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Interesting. While Jill/Shuma work with UMvC3, apparently the Shadow Mode DLC does not.

Not that it was anything special to begin with, but still.

OSHAN

DarkoMaledictus said:
Amazon code really? Guess that's coming to me too :)

umvc3_strider_classic.jpg

umvc3_cyber_akuma.jpg

umvc3_sentinel_classic.jpg

umvc3_doomwar.jpg

I feel it is the best one ... best costume package code, for the pre-orders that is.

I like how all the top players are sliding into different characters. It really shows that we don't know where this game is going.

Yipes - Nova
Clock - Strider
Combofiend - Hawkeye
Justin - Iron Fist
God's Beard - Nemesis
Filipino Champ - Dr. Strange
Marn - Frank West

GhostRidah said:
This is why Andre is one of my favorite players. Best character right off the bat.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Got my copy last night. What in the fuck did they do to Magnus... ;___; What's his bnb now? I couldn't land shit yesterday.

I'm fucking loving Wesker even more than I did before. I'm trying to figure out how to maximize his damage output and get around that hit stun scaling. I'll probably learn how to reset people better now that I can basically teleport off of everything.

Vergil is difficult to use. For the life of me, I can't figure out how to land Maximum Bubbles after he does his launcher. Why does the timing seem so strict? On the other hand, there will be no issue with making this dude safe...

Storm is that hotness. I can actually use Dante now. lol. Praise goodness for the Dorm changes.

Firebrand is fucking ridiculous. I was toying around with him in training and I have seen the light.

You can add me to scrub gaf: GT = OldschoolGamerZ

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
God's Beard said:
I like how all the top players are sliding into different characters. It really shows that we don't know where this game is going.

Yipes - Nova
Clock - Strider
Combofiend - Hawkeye
Justin - Iron Fist
God's Beard - Nemesis
Filipino Champ - Dr. Strange
Marn - Frank West

This is why Andre is one of my favorite players. Best character right off the bat.
I lol'd

Also I lol'd at how annoyed Yipes and Andre sounded just thinking about fighting fireband

dankir

QisTopTier said:
Strider looks really fucking good in the classic pack. Scarf look looks like shit to me

That's still lame to be considered his DLC outfit. Yeah it's his original but they could have been more creative.

Oldschoolgamer said:
Vergil is difficult to use. For the life of me, I can't figure out how to land Maximum Bubbles after he does his launcher. Why does the timing seem so strict? On the other hand, there will be no issue with making this dude safe...
Try using M+H for the hyper. For some reason that works.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
dankir said:
That's still lame to be considered his DLC outfit. Yeah it's his original but they could have been more creative.
You are telling me you wanted this?
1656053-hien_5.png

No thanks I'll take classic strider.

Kimosabae

Banned
For the guy complaining about not having a tutorial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fMz3sHNv8Q

It's from the old game, and focuses on high level play, but everyone should watch it regardless, as it will show you were your focus should be in regards to the mechanics and strats of the game.

Other than that, the best source for what you're looking for is the guide.

dankir

QisTopTier said:
You are telling me you wanted this?
1656053-hien_5.png

No thanks I'll take classic strider.

No but removing a scarf and changing the color of his regular costume isn't really a brand new costume. So it's a really lame DLC outfit.

kirblar

QisTopTier said:

Wasn't that because they normalized the bonuses and made the duration the only difference between character's X-Factors?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
kirblar said:
Wasn't that because they normalized the bonuses and made the duration the only difference between character's X-Factors?

No, there are character differences, just not as dramatic a disparity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom