• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.
AnkiRendan said:
Page 1:
Morrigan: You know...

Page 2:
Morrigan: A girl could learn to like it here!

Why would they shorten it down to nothing...?

I always liked Morrigan's ending. No need for them to truncate it really.

-Kill an intergalactic higher being with control of all cosmic power
-Chill at the club

Grifter

Is there a solid list of engine/character changes posted?

SolarPowered said:
This part always makes me lol because this is the biggest gripe I had with the game. Magneto and the top tier could catch you no matter where you ran and you sure as hell couldn't push them out. Instead of fixing the few top tiers... they killed air dash blocking for everyone in one fell swoop.

I don't despise the nerf THAT much, but I can't help laughing when I think of that haha.
Well you brought up the keepaway hahah. I liked the game's groundedness and wasn't t feeling the he new controllable jumps but killing air dash defense is a good trade-off. You test the netcode yet?

dankir said:
NOTICE TO ALL CANADIAN Ultimate MvC3 gaffers. Make sure you order the Ultimate Bible from Video Games plus!!!

My guide just has shipped and its free shipping within Canada too!

http://www.videogamesplus.ca/product_info.php?products_id=19333

FINALLY SOME GOOD FUCKING NEWS FOR ME ON THIS SHITTY DAY.

I just called the Mississauga retail store and they said they didn't have it...hmm.

Edit: Shooting myself in the foot here, but the North York store has about 6 copies of the book left. Gotta drive from Brampton...save one for meeee. D=

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Oh and no one is the best Blazplayer on gaf no one plays that game!

It's between fugu prototype and me it shifts around, at the moment fugu should be the best cause me and proto have been on haitius for a short bit

And Farms should play God's in jojo's LOL

Grecco

I really wish i could have the guide right now. also were some of Dantes motions changed? His hammer is in L now. I thought it was M

OSHAN

zlatko said:
I'm 100% unsure what the price is for Live/PSN. Are the pre order ones available right away or ?

Good point. I really don't know. PSN store isn't up until it's up. I guess we'll find out later this evening.

JeTmAn81

Does the game list command normals anywhere? It seems really stupid to have to read the guide or a website to actually learn your characters' basic moves.

Dartastic

Dartastic said:
I'm thinking Phoenix Wright, Iron Fist, Nemesis. Yeah. This could work well. -.-

...I also want Strange. Fuck, I love these new characters. I also want Spider-Man though. Ughghgnggnng. When are the DLC costumes available? I want Jean, Scarlet Spider, and X.
So yeah. What do you guys think about this team? Also, about those DLC costumes... -.-

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I'm surprised I don't like how Ghost Rider plays. His light and medium normals are pretty awful for one thing.

Top 3 Capcom newbies:

1. Vergil
2. Frank West
3. Phoenix Wright

Top 3 Mahvel newbies:

1. Iron Fist
2. Rocket Raccoon
3. Dr. Strange

dankir

Toshin said:
dankir, Chapters has the guide for like 8-10 bucks less man

In Canada? Goddamit there's 4 in stock at the Indigo bookstore in Downtown Montreal..It's the same price but who cares.

FAK WHAT DO I DO?? The other one shipped, k fuck it I'm going to buy it now to get it early.

The other one will go to another gaffer :D

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Okay, so I know that being able to do the combos and stuff is only one small part of the game, but let's say that I can do up through Mission 7 in Mission Mode for most characters (and I could probably do 8 if I had a good handle on using XF in combos). What would that generally put my skill level at?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Grecco said:
I really wish i could have the guide right now. also were some of Dantes motions changed? His hammer is in L now. I thought it was M

No, it was always L.

A Human Becoming said:
Ugh, I didn't realize Dante can't LMH into S anymore. Frank and him have that same problem. Damn it and they had just fixed it for Master Dorm!

Yeah, that's been known about for a long time. The increased knockback on his moves really fucks up his combos. Even his bold cancel ones whiff on certain opponents.

Goddamnit, Amazon.

Possible delay in delivery due to arrival at incorrect carrier facility
It's in Memphis. Almost the same damn thing happened with Vanilla earlier in the year. I didn't get it until 4 days later. Although, that time the game showed it was out for delivery.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
GuardianE said:
Yeah, that's been known about for a long time. The increased knockback on his moves really fucks up his combos. Even his bold cancel ones whiff on certain opponents.
And they Vergil can still do it? *knocks over magazine rack*

I really wish Storm's Double Typhoon had been sped up. That's the only thing holding me back from her using her.

Clipse

Awesome. My Best Buy doesn't have the 360 version available, even though they're seeing 22 copies in the computer system...

LordAlu

Picked this up today (UK, working for a video game store has its advantages). Add me to the list of scrub 360 players - GT is LordAlu. Haven't played vanilla in a while and am sorely in need of practice. If you're in the US though your connection to me may vary! :D

Two people complain about a lack of tutorials and a whole mess of you goons just dogpile 'em. You sound like the same idiots who used to lose it whenever someone wished for some online capable fighting games. If VF4:Evo caliber tutorials were standard the fighting game community would be even stronger than it is now. Sure, most folks wouldn't bother with them, but you'd end up with more serious players than you would without them.

I guess BB:CS had an okay tutorial. Problem was it was in BB:CS. It also had the same absurd difficulty spike in mission mode that the Capcom games do. "Do a fireball. Cancel from a normal to a special. Now do a 20 hit combo." The tutorial videos that came with the first game's special edition were actually more useful to a new player. I was able to steal some simple, braindead combos from it at least.

Kaijima said:
But it's getting a bit tiring to see the JAPANESE PEOPLE ARE SO STUPID strawman every time there's a feature someone wants that a game doesn't have, when there's just as many complaints to be made against western developed games in various aspects.
I normally agree with you, but not on this. I have shelves full of Japanese arcade games and fighters and RPGs that don't make the slightest effort to explain how their systems work. Yet most modern Western games smother you in tutorials and tooltips, which would probably be nice if most of the games weren't so fucking braindead.

I didn't have to read a FAQ to play Deus Ex. I did have to read one to play Valkyrie Profile successfully. Things haven't changed much in the ten years since these games came out.

I don't think any of the games you mentioned are anywhere near as complex as your average fighting game. A comparison with Starcraft 2 or Dota is more apt, I think. I dunno if SC2 has any real instruction, but the story modes of the old Blizzard games did a much better job of teaching you how to play at a very basic level than any Capcom game's ever done. And Valve's repeatedly said that creating quality tutorial and coaching modes for Dota 2 is one of their main goals to ensure the game's success. I'm sure the Dota community hates this idea, but -- like much of the fighting game community -- they're idiots. They shouldn't be steering the ship. The creators should be doing all they can to increase the appeal of their games without dumbing them down. Capcom's made no real attempt at doing this. MVC3 doesn't even explain magic series into hyper. A simple tutorial for that would have been a far better idea than Simple mode.

h3ro said:
It's a shame too. Tom Chick wrote a piece regarding the complete lack of any sort of tutorial/teaching aid system in Marvel. I know he's a controversial writer/reviewer for most, but he was also one of the only mainstream writers that isn't part of the FGC to be a huge fan of the Marvel and also lament it's poor utilization and implementation of teaching/guiding modes.

Link to the piece he wrote today. (Article includes links to his Vanilla review as well as why Vanilla was both his favorite and most disappointing game of the year)
Yeah, he pretty much hits the nail on the head right there. I was also at a loss when I first tried out Phoenix Wright, and I'm someone who paid close attention to all the pre-release hype. The game doesn't explain how to get into Turnabout mode, or that it even exists. It doesn't explain that Frank West can level up. These are just as crucial to the characters as their special moves but there's no documentation about it whatsoever. The manual doesn't even have fucking movelists this time around.

A Human Becoming said:
Ugh, I didn't realize Dante can't LMH into S anymore. Frank and him have that same problem. Damn it and they had just fixed it for Master Dorm!
You can go into c.H for Frank, though! Slide kicks are the best kicks.

Grecco

USD said:
Not really, he's much more trolly than anything.

Watching it now. Zhee does get kinda awkward with the whole questions on her therapy.

Also yeah Zhee asks about what Shes into and tries to hit on her.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Rummy Bunnz said:
I didn't have to read a FAQ to play Deus Ex. I did have to read one to play Valkyrie Profile successfully. Things haven't changed much in the ten years since these games came out.
I've always thought that if you have to reference an external document to learn how to play a game, then the game is poorly designed on some level.

I don't expect frame data or a hitbox viewer. People would probably appreciate something as basic as "when and why you should DHC," though.

Teknoman

A Human Becoming said:

I'm really going to have to hit training mode to get used to that. thats just standard magic series abbreviation right? Because if so, I had the same probably with Deadpool in regular.

For Dante, get used to doing L, M straight into launcher.

Or, do L, M, H - stinger into million stab

or

L, M, H, - stringer into bold cancel volcano

I also have the guide - and that shit is righteous. let me know if you guys want something specific.

A little known fact - Vergil used to be able to cancel into his Dark Dimension straight from the OTG. Now - n the final build - you have to actually teleport cancel it with H, then input the commands for dark dimension. And the timing is a bit harder than you'd think. The guide doesn't make mention of this - as it was probably written before they changed that for Vergil.

LordAlu

Went into a lobby just now and the host is on a 14 game win streak. Okay I thought, I'll spectate and see what makes this guy so good.

Turns out he uses Ghost Rider...

j.S j.S j.S j.S j.S j.S j.S j.S...

It's pretty spectacular to watch an entire team fall to one move over and over!

KAL2006

Banned
I may have to pick this game up as it is really cheap (£25), this game will feel fresh to me as I barely played MvC3, I returned the game due to the shitty online. How is the online in this game in comparison to SSFIV.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
A Human Becoming said:
Yes, I figured this out soon. It seems you can still LMH into S with Dante, you just have to be much quicker about it.

I don't think that really matters. It's more distance dependent. If you're close enough, it'll hit. If you're not, it'll whiff.

lowhighkang_LHK said:
For Dante, get used to doing L, M straight into launcher.

Or, do L, M, H - stinger into million stab

or

L, M, H, - stringer into bold cancel volcano

Or do this.

SRK wiki is apparently lacking any sort of updates for UMvC3 yet... is there somewhere convenient I can go to look up character health and such?

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
GuardianE said:
I don't think that really matters. It's more distance dependent. If you're close enough, it'll hit. If you're not, it'll whiff.
Or do this.

Yeah I know it's distance dependent, I just thought it was like Dorm in vanilla where (as far as I know) it was impossible to LMH into launcher.

Dante is still good, the nerfs just require readjustments of course.

Lothars

Rummy Bunnz said:
Two people complain about a lack of tutorials and a whole mess of you goons just dogpile 'em. You sound like the same idiots who used to lose it whenever someone wished for some online capable fighting games. If VF4:Evo caliber tutorials were standard the fighting game community would be even stronger than it is now. Sure, most folks wouldn't bother with them, but you'd end up with more serious players than you would without them.
I think your argument is definitely valid but I do have an issue with you insulting pretty much everyone in your posts calling the community a bunch of idiots and goons.

I would love more information inside the game itself, more tutorials and how to play, I don't think of myself of a very good player.

Sixfortyfive said:
I've always thought that if you have to reference an external document to learn how to play a game, then the game is poorly designed on some level.

I don't expect frame data or a hitbox viewer. People would probably appreciate something as basic as "when and why you should DHC," though.
Yeah, pretty much. And it's endemic in Japanese arcade games. Shmups and fighters tend to get more rewarding the deeper you dive into them, but the games themselves do little to inform the new player that hey, there's more to this than button mashing and credit feeding.

If, say, Deathsmiles limited your continues had a simple tutorial explaining its scoring system it probably would have received a warmer reception...though I guess the lolis still woulda been a huge strike against it.

Or those recent Treasure XBLA releases. Radiant Silvergun's demo stage is from the middle of the game. Bangai-O HD's demo didn't make the slightest effort to teach you how to play it. If you hadn't played one of the previous games there's no way you'd have a clue what the game's really about.

Or how 90% of SF4 players just mash DP and ultras, because that's what the game taught them to do.

And I'm beating a dead horse. I just get all riled up about this. I don't think flooding the market with new games and revisions would be such a big deal if creators made an effort to educate the fanbase so they're able to appreciate the differences between each game.

Lothars said:
I think your argument is definitely valid but I do have an issue with you insulting pretty much everyone in your posts calling the community a bunch of idiots and goons.

I would love more information inside the game itself, more tutorials and how to play, I don't think of myself of a very good player.
I've been playing a lot of Dota and watching a lot of fighting game streams. It's really hard to think of many nice things to say about the vocal members of either community. They're mostly creeps and I'm kinda embarrassed that I share a hobby with them.

That Nemesis guide by Jago is really well done. Though I think they goofed on the combo notation at the end. Still, really informative and fun to watch.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I figured this would be as good a thread as any to ask:

We have Madcatz TE fightsticks here, and one of them has the static buildup problem that causes certain buttons to stop responding till you unplug the stick and reset it. I've read there's a fix by soldering a new ground wire in the case - has anyone done this, or know of any PCB photos to clarify the correct ground connection?

We gotta fix it, but I don't want to screw it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom