• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully this will help some of the newcomers get started.

*** EXTREME BEGINNER'S GUIDE TO DOING COMBOS IN MARVEL VS CAPCOM 3 ***

Follow these steps to do a basic air combo. This same formula works with almost every character in the game.

1. (optional) Do the "ground magic series." Push the 3 basic attack buttons in order from lightest to heaviest (ABC). Or just do BC. Or AC. Or just C. For each attack, you can use either the standing or crouching version. If you find that your chosen character pushes the opponent too far away using standing ABC, try crouching ABC.

2. Launch the opponent by pressing the S button.

3. Hold up or up-forward to automatically superjump and follow the launched opponent into the air. If you have the "auto super jump" enabled in the game options (it's on by default), you can also just continue holding the S button and your character will superjump without needing to press up.

4. Do the "air magic series," BBCS. As in, push medium attack twice, then heavy attack, then special. You're allowed to skip attacks if you want, so if you want to just do BCS instead of BBCS, that will work too.

Congratulations, you did an air combo!

The big secret: Most of the longer combos you see are just variations on the above. Add a special move here, an assist there. "Relaunch" combos just go through those steps twice, using an OTG move or ground bounce move to connect the first air combo to the second. And you usually want to end your combo with a super for more damage, but how you combo into the super will vary from character to character. Master the above first!

ultim8p00

Banned
Deadstar said:
Dat Ghost Rider

cage.gif

Is that max?

I'm losing matches left and right but I still have a better win-loss record than I ever had in vanilla. Every time I manage to get PW into Turnabout I just spam his assist and win.

I'm thinking I need to rework my team a little, though. Frank hardly gets to level up because my focus is on getting Phoenix into turnabout mode. I probably need to remove him and make a Frank-specific team.

(HEY 360 SCRUBS, SEND AN INVITE TO JOHN DUDEBRO SO WE CAN HANG)

smurfx

get some go again
going to buy a stick from kadey. guess i'm going to be relearning how to play this game. don't know how long its going to take me. -_- its for the best though! i gotta step up my game.

Giard

I haven't been following, but is there a gamertag for ScrubGAF on X360? There wasn't supposed to be one, but there's more people than anticipated.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Testing out new characters against Dante/Sentinel/Phoenix/Wolvy/etc. teams is painful lol.

Ra1den

My Target didn't even get this in. Had to drive all over looking for a copy. WTF is this shit. At least I got it now. Yesssssssssssss

Oh, wow, I didn't know Jill and Shuma are packaged with their DLC alts. That's awesome.

Did all of Nova's missions. Kind of have a better grasp of him.

Teknoman

Giard said:
I haven't been following, but is there a gamertag for ScrubGAF on X360? There wasn't supposed to be one, but there's more people than anticipated.

Papercuts said:
Is there a scrub lobby going? haha. My GT is Fatal X Fate

I think thats what regular tag is for?

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I organized the 360scrub GAF list by alphabetical order to be a little more readable. When I stop being lazy I'll organize it by GT first:

A Human Becoming - ICallItFutile
akilshohen - Akilla05
Anth0ny - fps anth
Banana Kid - John Dudebro
Bark252 - Bark252
Bookey - Therealbookey
Clipse - JKL329
d0c_zaius - d0c z5000
dankir - D O N K E R
Dirtdog07 - Sox Fan
Fatal X Fate - Papercuts
GhostRidah - ghostridah012
Giard - LeGiard
GuardianE - GuardianE9999
Gunstarheroes - Gusntarheroes77
IntelliHeath - IntelliHeath
Iron E Man - ra1d3nmgs
jobber - jobber4wcw
Ken - Chocopolka
koryuken - Koryuken
Lyte Edge - lyte edge
MrMephistoX - MrMephistoX
Mupod - Mupod
Parallax Scroll - ParallaxScroll
Red Arremer - AuT pBo Arremer
robot - pepperjack
RS4 - dokterrhouse
shaowebb - Dynasty Penguin
Sir Garbageman - Sir Garbageman
SnakeSlashRO - MakaveliAkerele
Stabby McSter - OGK stersauce
striKeVillain! - StriKeVillain
Teknoman - TeknomanEX
Timedog - TimedogGAF
Toski - Outlaw Viper
ultim8p00 - D3vinchi

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I just lost to a guy that was 0-16. Oh my.

Then I beat someone who would not stop attacking me...phoenix's invincible assist literally killed his whole team.

h3ro

Added myself on the scrub list:

akilshohen - Akilla05
Anth0ny - fps anth
Bark252 - Bark252
Bookey - Therealbookey
Clipse - JKL329
d0c_zaius - d0c z5000
dankir - D O N K E R
Dirtdog07 - Sox Fan
Fatal X Fate - Papercuts
Giard - LeGiard
h3ro - munkeyhero
Iron E Man - ra1d3nmgs
jobber - jobber4wcw
Ken - Chocopolka
koryuken - Koryuken
Lyte Edge - lyte edge
Mupod - Mupod
robot - pepperjack
RS4 - dokterrhouse
Teknoman - TeknomanEX
Timedog - TimedogGAF
Toski - Outlaw Viper
ultim8p00 - D3vinchi

shaowebb

Gotta say this game definitely feels different. People fall out of a ton of combos now and health seems kinda wonky. You die to things you wouldn't normally and you won't die to longer stuff you should die to normally. Scaling is all kinds of crazy now so it may be small combo big punish design for this.
Zoning is also pretty swag now. I'm getting a whole lot of time overs now with my Storm teams. Feels great though...more balanced somehow. Even the Dante's I've faced so far seem more human and less broken somehow.

shaowebb

Yo Q. How you liking that Firebrand so far? Guy seems pretty damned fun from what I've experienced. There are no safe approaches against the guy in the air or on the ground. His combos aren't that stylish, but he opens people up for free with just about any assist. Him and Iron Fist Crescent Kick are fast becoming friends.

Dunno if I´m right, but the jill and shuma gorath dlc of vanilla marvel is used here in this right???

or are they unlocked by default if you don´t have them?

lolez2matt said:
Dunno if I´m right, but the jill and shuma gorath dlc of vanilla marvel is used here in this right???

It's used here, yes. Alt costumes and all.

They're not unlocked by default.

kirblar

lolez2matt said:

The DLC works for both games.

man I been itching to play but got work to do. I'm sitting here trying to think of a viper team. Thinking viper/storm/??. I need to find a good anchor with a vertical space control/ lockdown assist. Maybe skrull or dorm but I'm not sure. I suck though and all this school work sucks. Guess I can watch the break weekly while i do work.

http://www.twitch.tv/8wayrun

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
shaowebb said:
Yo Q. How you liking that Firebrand so far? Guy seems pretty damned fun from what I've experienced. There are no safe approaches against the guy in the air or on the ground. His combos aren't that stylish, but he opens people up for free with just about any assist. Him and Iron Fist Crescent Kick are fast becoming friends.
I dont have the game yet ups is slow as fuck. But yeah I know must of the reasons he is stupid already xD I just need to get my hands on him to get the stupid things down.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
SolarKnight said:
Ugh, Wright's trial 9 feels so awkward x__x

Haha, I know. That damn stance change into a DP keeps getting me, even when I time the assist stuff right which is rare. 10 was really easy to me.

h3ro said:
Added myself on the scrub list:

akilshohen - Akilla05
Anth0ny - fps anth
Bark252 - Bark252
Bookey - Therealbookey
Clipse - JKL329
d0c_zaius - d0c z5000
dankir - D O N K E R
Dirtdog07 - Sox Fan
Fatal X Fate - Papercuts
Giard - LeGiard
h3ro - munkeyhero
Iron E Man - ra1d3nmgs
jobber - jobber4wcw
Ken - Chocopolka
koryuken - Koryuken
Lyte Edge - lyte edge
Mupod - Mupod
NightmareTrigger - Vanish Trigger
robot - pepperjack
RS4 - dokterrhouse
Teknoman - TeknomanEX
Timedog - TimedogGAF
Toski - Outlaw Viper
ultim8p00 - D3vinchi

Added myself also

Papercuts said:
Haha, I know. That damn stance change into a DP keeps getting me, even when I time the assist stuff right which is rare. 10 was really easy to me.

Haha, yeah, it feels weirder to me because I main Ammy, so this shouldn't be something too weird for me XD

shaowebb

Sorry to hear bout the UPS tardage Q. Hope it gets there soon. Also check out Chun-li + Dr Strange Double beam. It is RIDICULOUSLY good in Ulimate. Even if your full screen and the double air dash wont give you the go behind her improved kicks will still reach far enough to cross them up for the combo to start. Plus those beams catch them on the attempts I've used so far to air combo into her OTG in the corner. She corners easy and OTG stomp needs an assist from there to convert back into anything because she'll need the extra time to land. It generally yields me a lvl 3 kill.

So yeah. Perfect couple seems to be Strange + Chun Li. Its also really fun to pop the eye of agamotto after a teleport with her lightning legs summoned on the opposite side lol. They fucking panic with that many hits on both sides a coming and get ate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom