• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Played a few rounds with a friend last night and getting crazy lag. Seemed better when he hosted.

Does having a mic on change how lag is received, or does it not make any difference?

vg260

Pai Pai Master said:
Damn, that's a long wait for the bundle but I'll wait. I'd be down for a "season pass" if we could pay $20 now and get all of them.

Exactly. This is the model that other games have been using and the one they should be using now. It's far more customer-friendly. It guarantees a sale upfront, and doesn't reek of obviously trying to milk customers.

Either don't buy these piecemeal or hold off for the whole pack and send the message to Capcom that this release schedule is not friendly to customers.

Lothars

2&2 said:
Exactly. This is the model that other games have been using and the one they should be using now. It's far more customer-friendly. It guarantees a sale upfront, and doesn't reek of obviously trying to milk customers.

Either don't buy these piecemeal or hold off for the whole pack and send the message to Capcom that this release schedule is not friendly to customers.
I don't think it's not friendly to customers because you would have people complaining if you bought the season pass and they are not sure what it contains.

I have no issue with them doing it this way but I would like the option either way.

Joule

Anth0ny said:
He said on his twitter he won't play vanilla characters/teams until majors. His Iron Fist is pretty godlike though, I wouldn't be surprised if he kept him around.

On another note, anyone have a high damage, easy Vergil BnB? So far, I've got:

L M H Stinger S H S a.M a.M helm breaker high time

I know I could combo high time into Dimension Slash, but I don't know how. Something to do with his teleport?
Press H after High Time to teleport then cancel that into Dimension Slash.

Kimosabae

Banned
Okay, I played some matches online today, and it really is playable. There's input lag that's noticeable, but it somehow doesn't effect combos, at least. Moving around and trying time things outside that feel awkward, though. It's definitely serviceable though. Good matchup experience. Ghost Rider is stupid.

Add me: SynikaL 2k4

Found a 900,000+ combo for my team today :)

Would have probably been around 850 in Vanilla but... mashing!

mr. puppy

Banned
Frank's zombie projectiles take out Ghost Rider's zoning. I might just bail on Ghost and start doing Dante/Frank/Firebrand.

WTF at the durability of those Zombies, its actually ridiculous how good Frank is even at low levels.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The only issue with criticizing UMVC3 specifically over ye 'ol Capcom Rapes J00 meme, is that the amount of content in the package for $40, is likely more than you would have gotten by the standards of the "season passes" we've seen so far.

12 characters + 8 remix stages + new music + new interface + full rebalance + brand new special moves and animations for something like half the cast? Plus Heroes & Heralds mode, which is it's own entire single player and online campaign mode...?

...?

Yeah.

You would not be getting all that stuff for a $30 - $40 season pass, by the standards of such that we've seen so far.

I'd say that the people who think that is "obviously trying to milk customers" are foolish and buy into all the hyperbole about how eeeeeeevil Capcom is. (When what most other companies do is worse.) But then, look at the sheer amount of bitching we see, and how many jump on the bandwagon because they're handing out free pitchforks.

Bizazedo

Kaijima said:
12 characters + 8 remix stages + new music + new interface + full rebalance + brand new special moves and animations for something like half the cast? Plus Heroes & Heralds mode, which is it's own entire single player and online campaign mode...?
Don't forget the re-working of endings to troll Mega Man. I didn't care at first, but the what has to be intentional effort that went into it has me applauding. The re-wording of Zero's ending is probably my favorite one of the offered trolls.

Easily worth my $29.99 Amazon gave it to me for.

vg260

Lothars said:
I don't think it's not friendly to customers because you would have people complaining if you bought the season pass and they are not sure what it contains.

They DLC was clearly completed and fully detailed already, so that would not have been an issue.

Captain N

Im thinking of going

HULK/Frank/Hawkeye

I'll have to wait and see. Id love to use Spider-Man, but I just don't see that happening.

vg260

Kaijima said:
The only issue with criticizing UMVC3 specifically over ye 'ol Capcom Rapes J00 meme, is that the amount of content in the package for $40, is likely more than you would have gotten by the standards of the "season passes" we've seen so far.

...?

Yeah.

You would not be getting all that stuff for a $30 - $40 season pass, by the standards of such that we've seen so far.

I'd say that the people who think that is "obviously trying to milk customers" are foolish and buy into all the hyperbole about how eeeeeeevil Capcom is. (When what most other companies do is worse.) But then, look at the sheer amount of bitching we see, and how many jump on the bandwagon because they're handing out free pitchforks.

Not sure which post your referring to, but I agree with you 100% on the disc content. Easily worth the $40. I think it's a steal.

The DLC release schedule, I feel is a different issue. They are welcome to release the cosmetic DLC as they please, but this schedule is definitely less customer friendly than a season-pass model.

Kimosabae

Banned
Kaijima said:

...?

Yeah.

Personally, I'm not convinced most of it wasn't held back for the new version. Evidence already points to Capcom planning a disc based release before Vanilla even released and you can see the new Danger Room, seemingly fully modeled, in the title screen in Vanilla. Super was a much better sell, imo. The way they managed to jazz up the presentation of the game went a long way into making Super feel fresh, too. Most of the stages added were NEW stages and not reskins. Ultimate truly feels like DLC, to me.

*shrug*

Not salty though.

Lothars

2&2 said:
Not sure which post your referring to, but I agree with you 100% on the disc content. Easily worth the $40. I think it's a steal.

The DLC release schedule, I feel is a different issue. They are welcome to release the cosmetic DLC as they please, but this schedule is definitely less customer friendly than a season-pass model.
Yeah me either but I agree that Ultimate is a great deal at $40 and I don't regret it at all.

mr. puppy

Banned
here's somebody who isn't godawful at this game like me commenting on Frank. The really really good Viper/Dante player Chrisis:

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.ph...frank-west-thread.148405/page-17#post-6122969
I got to go to an Ultimate session last night and I proved to both myself and others that Frank is scary. A lot of people were derping around with Vergil, Ghost Rider, and Nemesis, but I actually think that Frank is significantly better than all those characters. I'm slightly distracted so my post may be fragmented or otherwise confusing but here it is!

I played Frank on point with a variety of different partners throughout the night, the notable ones were my pseudo main team of Frank/Dante(Jam session)/Viper (burn kick), Frank/Chris(Gun Fire)/Dante(Jam session), Frank/Rocket Raccoon(Pendulum)/Hawkeye (Greyhound), and Viper/Dante/Frank.

There are a lot of things about Frank that after 20-40 minutes of playing you start to pick up on. First his normals are all decent even in level 1, I come from playing Viper so I may be biased but it seems like they're all very good and can be used to cover various purposes. I play with a bunch of awesome people but some of them greatly enjoy the lame game so when I had things like running up against Ghost Rider/Nova shield assist I got to see exactly how Frank dealt with a lame game. I had been anticipating needing to get to level 2 then use careful, intelligent rolls to work my way in and do damage I however was completely wrong...

Frank with Vajira assist zones out Ghost Rider for free at this early stage. Tossing zombies is incredibly powerful as a zoning tool and would smack GR out of jump S a lot, especially when paired with liberal usage of jumping camera. When you add Vajira to this Ghost Rider can't stay in the 3/4 of the screen he wants to in order to 'zone' Frank, in a fusion of chip and errant hits with this I killed Ghost Rider at least twice and this is before I realized one of Frank's most insane zoning tools that I haven't really seen people talk about.

Frank's giant swing on Zombies is phenomenal, it's not just good, but it does take a lot of getting used to. During the swing section *not sure if the entire thing or just the end* it will eat really strong projectiles, I think it may be able to eat Zero buster shot, it's really really durable. Along with having high durability the thing has pretty much no recovery at all, if an enemy is cornered mashing lets you link after it to go into a full combo, along with both of these it does a ton of damage too and adds 3 more hits to your combo for those delicious camera shots.

When I ran Frank with Chris and Dante it was easy to get level 4 meterless if I touched someone doing the incredibly simple: 2B, 2C, S /-\, B, B, C, S (I wasn't comfortable with the air 236A stuff outside the corner yet), \-/ (summon Chris) 236S, (Chris hits) S /-\, B, C, S \-/ (summon Dante) 236S, (Dante hits) 236S. With optimized combos I doubt Frank will need to use resources very often to get levels.

Frank's roll is exceptionally fast with very low recovery, some friends were using Phoenix and since I am still learning my Frank I hadn't snapped her in time since I'm an idiot. That said, with roll and back dash I managed to avoid her for 50 seconds because of how fast and safe Frank's horizontal movement is.

Frank gets the normal ambiguous left right cross up associated with teleports once he gets roll and can open people up very easily and more importantly start it in very safe ways with both zombie cover and the massive frame advantage he gets on his giant swing. Also just poking with low to the ground air normals in level 3 or higher is very scary he has swords pretty much and if you've played Dante you know how silly that is, but the angles he attacks at feel closer to Dormammu's C and S attacks which I greatly enjoy.

I almost think that he'll kill lots of characters meterless once people learn how to play level 5 Frank cause scrubby combos already do like 800K and then once they're fully optimized with more stuff he is going to blow up so many characters in a gauge positive way.

On some stages with some Frank outfits the pie/item he throws with 6C is really hard to see (think black Wesker on shield hellicarrier) but since it's even tinier it can be very confusing and hard to understand/react to.

The immobilization on 46C zombies is really long and you can hit confirm off of them from pretty far away with a dash in slide into a combo that will build Frank's level pretty quickly. The charge time on zombies in general is likely half of Hulk's if even that and you can get them out in a pretty constant wave, using the light and medium zombies you can combo zombie into zombie.

Random fun facts that I found out:
In Frank mirrors taking pictures to stop the opposing Frank's zombie is worth 1 PP.
Against Phoenix Wright taking pictures of Maya is also worth PP at least while she is doing the shield, people didn't abuse much of her other moves so don't know about those.
Even though air camera guard breaks Frank, when he does it near to the ground it's really solid, like just above Tiger Knee height or so.
Frank's level 4 instant overheads are insane.
As I stated tuesday after NorCal versus Capcom that shopping Cart assist is amazing.

Lothars said:

I have no issue with them doing it this way but I would like the option either way.

Nah, this is the best reason so far for a Season Pass because they've shown us exactly what we're getting. We've seen all the costumes, we know the price, and we know when we can buy it. It's not like the Uncharted thing where we paid for "three skin packs" and got 3 packs of Uncharted 2 skins within the first week, or what happened with Gears.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Bizazedo said:
I don't understand why they stagger the releases / run them out for such a long period of time. You'd think it'd be better to strike while the iron was hot?

This is pretty horrible. "Look, it's all complete! But wait 5 months to unlock them!" Blargh.

Waiting to January to get the preorder packs purchaseable as well?

Such a LONG time, for something they're already showing... maybe if we did't know all of them by mid November, this would make sense, but this is just ridiculous.

Watching the Peaceful Jay stream is the best advertisement for this game.
Also, seeing friendly rivalry on this thread is building my hype too.

Ugh, I wish I had time to play this game.

Kyoufu

dankir said:
First time I seen the DT alternate for Vergil. Very very cool

Vergil_DLC_93791_640screen.jpg

edit: It's the same one that Dante gets in his DLC outfit??

What the fuck? That is not Nelo Angelo.

This is Nelo
1139518100_NeloAngelo.jpg

Capcom, what the hell..

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
2&2 said:
Wait so what's up with the Nova alt? Why isn't it shown in the packs? Is it a separate unannounced DLC pack?

My guess is that they may change the colors on that alt. The colors are Classic Nova, but if you actually look at the design it's more akin to the almost certainly sucky new Nova -- thank you Jeph Loeb for ruining something I love again -- they're going to be pushing in 2012. I'd wager the design of this Nova was generally known when making the game, but the colors changed in between the comic and the game's release.

Anth0ny said:
On another note, anyone have a high damage, easy Vergil BnB? So far, I've got:

L M H Stinger S H S a.M a.M helm breaker high time
Add a teleport B before the high time to put yourself in the corner. The super will do more damage.

Also, against airborne opponents the Stinger screws up the combo. I keep making that mistake.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Dammit, have to wait until February 7th for Task and Hawkeye alts.

Watched some of the stream yesterday. Good stuff, pretty convinced that I will never move up from ultra-scrub level. Still waiting for the game to get here though :(

El Sloth

Banned
Hahaha Vergil's alt is the same exact outfit in Dante's alt with a different color scheme.

What's Capcom's excuse for not having more colors for the alt costumes now?

Rad Spencer looks awesome.

vg260

Nils said:
My guess is that they may change the colors on that alt. The colors are Classic Nova, but if you actually look at the design it's more akin to the almost certainly sucky new Nova -- thank you Jeph Loeb for ruining something I love again -- they're going to be pushing in 2012. I'd wager the design of this Nova was generally known when making the game, but the colors changed in between the comic and the game's release.

What I'm wondering is, which pack is Nova gonna be in? It's not listed with any of them.

Solune

voodoopanda said:
Do any of the 12 new characters have good OTG assists? I know Ghost Rider does.
Firebrand - Hell Spitfire H
Ironfist - Crescent Heel, doubles as overhead.
Rocket Raccoon - Bear Trap

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
2&2 said:
What I'm wondering is, which pack is Nova gonna be in? It's not listed with any of them.

No clue but probably one of the later ones. The new series is rumored to start in April.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Parallax Scroll said:
lol no way am i gonna use that stupid X costume

That is the only costume in that pack I don't want, other than that give me those archers and demon lady now Capcom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom