• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of people really hyping Nova as a top character, but I can't seem to win with him - I've been clinching out victories online with Frank West, but when Nova comes out I get stomped.

Any tips to open my eyes? I'm playing at a lower level than a lot of you but could still probably understand if you have some advice.

My team right now is Nova, Frank West and Trish. It's not working out the best but I've tested their DHC compatibility and it works out well - you can do a 3x super starting from any of the three characters.
Nova being top in this game seems a little too good if you ask me.

It is only 5-10 slots for that position and I can probably think at least seven characters that immediately qualify before his name even comes up. His really basic stuff is simple though. You can get in pretty easily under the cover of assists and his javelin is crazy good against characters that lack instant physical hyper punishes(think Ryu, Dr.Doom, etc.). I just abuse his javelin and his aerial(Nova strike?) wallbounces. Once I connect a hit I try to keep his BnB's basic with simple medium and strong buttons(and flight cancels for extra damage). His 600k combos are a cinch to pull off.

A lot of people really hyping Nova as a top character, but I can't seem to win with him - I've been clinching out victories online with Frank West, but when Nova comes out I get stomped.

Who are hyping Nova as a top character? Most people I have seen have rated him mid tier which is rather accurate. Nova can be summed up by 2 word: air throws. That's pretty much his most reliable way of opening up people. Otherwise he's a rather predictable character, ruined by how his crouching L doesn't hit low.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
PSN was going in hard last night. Thanks for tuning in.

Great sets of matches.

Degen being Degen.
http://www.justin.tv/kadeybaybe/b/300489849

Crazy comeback.
http://www.justin.tv/kadeybaybe/b/300491553

Angus vs Beef. What?

http://www.justin.tv/kadeybaybe/b/300491637

Crazy comeback part two.

http://www.justin.tv/kadeybaybe/b/300491686

We got a Ultimoo vs Jetman trilogy.

Match one. http://www.justin.tv/kadeybaybe/b/300492290
Match two. http://www.justin.tv/kadeybaybe/b/300492345
Match three. http://www.justin.tv/kadeybaybe/b/300492412

Since I cannot possibly do it all myself. People are free to make their own highlights. Just go to the main video archive.

Stream again later tonight. Probably PSN again. Live doesn't seem so active.

And people who haven't already. Follow the stream. Doesn't matter if you tune in. More followers makes it easier to get quality controls.

Zissou

I think I've finalized my team of Doom(beam)/Dante(jam session)/Strider(vajra). Does anybody know of any good Dante guides/tutorial videos/whatever? I don't mean for combos- there's a ton of resources for that sort of thing, but what about guides for how to actually play Dante, do mix-ups, and that sort of thing? I used doom for most of vanilla, so I'm pretty comfortable with him, and I'm learning strider at the same time as everyone else so I'm sure his forum will be active on SRK with people discovering new things and sharing technology, but where's the best place to go to learn effective Dante tactics for someone who is a relative beginner with the character?

Quoting for a new page. Has anybody got anything they'd recommend?

Just played this at my cousin's place, holy shit She-Hulk. :'(

Capcom brung dat nerf bat.

:'(

still early days but I seriously hope it's not a case of over nerf the better tier mvc3 players to the point where most of the new ones are better to use overall, ruins the point.

i'm still not seeing many lower tier characters being used in streams, don't own the game yet to say otherwise online.

V_Arnold

Alright. My team now is :
C.Viper / Strange / Vergil.

I feel that Strange is really, really a weak link with my zero to none knowledge, but...
Viper has good and effective tools even when starting with one meter, and if I amazingly manage to pull off ONE combo, I am already happy.

Assist'wise, I go with Strange's Eye of Agamotto, as I love that it stays on the ground for a sec. As for Vergil, his horizontal slash seems alright as well. I lack OTG when I am on Strange though, but that is fine. :p

Is that a viable trio? :D

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
posted ?

19_umvc3hhart01.jpg

19_umvc3hhart02.jpg

19_umvc3hhart03.jpg

Mr.Fresh

Every time I join scrub gafs chat no one says anything :(.

But yea For my team im thinking Dante/Hawkeye/Wolverine or Dante/Wesker/Wolverine or
Dante/Nova/Wolverine.

Not sure which would be better yet though..

Mupod

genecard.jpg

I don't care what this card does, I'm using it.

stevencard.jpg

THIS IS MY STOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORE

Also happy to see some monster hunter and ghost trick representation.

Edit: Look at me, I'm quoting!

Tried out the online for the first time last night. Got paired with Viscant for my first game, then Dios X for my second. Changed the rank filter to "same" so that I could actually get my 5peat achievement out of the way without incident, lol. Netcode feels just as lousy as the original release, so I'm glad I didn't bother to get my hopes up.
The rest of the world disagrees with you. The online is much, much better.

LOL Yeah It's dumb they should of just made the supers do the max damage they do if they wanted to up the damage on supers for everyone. Such a pointless mechanic. BTW farms I found an almost inescapable set up for firebrand :D *and by that I mean you have about 1 or 2 frames to react.
Share the setup. I have a guaranteed kill on snap-in from Firebrand on any cast member without an air dash or aerial beam hyper. Yeah, it's not a huge list, but it's a list!

Emma Frost and Venom/Carnage both being absent from the H&H list is setting off my spidey sense.
You could look at it the other way, and think the cards are the characters MOST likely to make it in as DLC. After all, Gene, X, and Black Panther were all in the final round of considerations, and are cards.

Masamuna

I really need to level up my team (Ironfist/Task/Strider). Whether its due to online being online or my lack of knowing how to play the character (strider) most of my matches end up being Meat Shield/RororoROPE Cancel/DARK ORBZ RIZING.

LOL Yeah It's dumb they should of just made the supers do the max damage they do if they wanted to up the damage on supers for everyone. Such a pointless mechanic.

I recall reading someone say that it actually adds more depth because now you have to consider if you want more damage or less HSD with the mashing and stuff like Vergil's super that can link to itself when mashed a certain way or something like that. Yeah...I still say it's BS and stupid mechanic.

Unfortunately, my community seems to be part of the problem since they DID want mashable supers. I'm confused too.

It's not much of a problem mashing the normal supers, since you can get those to max damage easily, but is it just me or is there no real max damage to level 3s? I only get half as many hits without turbo and I swear I get inconsistent results even with it =|

smurfx

get some go again
Unfortunately, my community seems to be part of the problem since they DID want mashable supers. I'm confused too.
whoa there i don't ever remember one person asking for more mashable supers when people where asking stuff for ultimate. just because seth killian said the community wanted it doesn't make it true.

whoa there i don't ever remember one person asking for more mashable supers when people where asking stuff for ultimate. just because seth killian said the community wanted it doesn't make it true.

I'm speaking of my local community though. I dunno if they ASKED for it, but they missed it during MvC3 and were happy when it returned. Yeah...

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Every time I join scrub gafs chat no one says anything :(.

But yea For my team im thinking Dante/Hawkeye/Wolverine or Dante/Wesker/Wolverine or
Dante/Nova/Wolverine.

Not sure which would be better yet though..

That was the first time I joined that chat room when we played...nobody else was in there, lol. And whenever I joined the regular Mahvel chat, it's generally no one except a dude who seems to sit in the room and never says anything. Forget his PSN name...Rhino something?

Mainly playing this on 360. The PS3 version is noticeably worse to me...don't remember it being like that with regular MvC3.

mr. puppy

Banned
Share the setup. I have a guaranteed kill on snap-in from Firebrand on any cast member without an air dash or aerial beam hyper. Yeah, it's not a huge list, but it's a list!

what assists work with that unblockable demon missile? i've gotten decent success with cold star, much less with jam session and hidden missiles.

kunonabi

Can someone give me a complete list of OTG assists? I'd like to see if there is any of them I'd be willing to put on a team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom