• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Thinking back on a couple of matches I had with Nemesis...

How badly did they nerf rhino charge? He used it a couple of times and whatever button I had pressed with Frank either didn't activate it or gave me enough time to roll out of it mid swing and get behind Wesker.

I couldn't do it consistently, because I did get caught the next two times. If this was Vanilla, I would have died right off the bat. lol.

Rhino Charge sucks balls now. You can't do it on close reaction anymore... now you pretty much have to reserve it for heavily telegraphed physical attacks and do it waaaaay early. Even full screen Hypers, depending on how fast they are, can't be countered on reaction anymore. It's stupid. Increasing the post-scaling was enough.

It's definitely cost me a few matches because I'm so used to performing it on reaction. It might still be a decent DHC, but I don't know if it has post Hyper-flash startup where he can get hit out of it.

Ken

Anyone have any videos of a good Hawkeye?

I was trying to watch Combofiend's Hawkeye for tips last night but never saw him do much with it.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Anyone have any videos of a good Hawkeye?

Combofiend. Just look up videos on Youtube, either the latest Runnin' Sets, or the levelup tourney.

EDIT: Whoops, you edited. I'd still check out Runnin' Sets if you haven't. He does some nice things in there.

Interesting. So with Dormammu/Nemesis/Strider, I can get the THC reset with a or b assist, and the ball links strider and nemesis' supers together with the y assist.

So flame is better for combo enders, and ball is better for AA.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Rhino Charge sucks balls now. You can't do it on close reaction anymore... now you pretty much have to reserve it for heavily telegraphed physical attacks and do it waaaaay early. Even full screen Hypers, depending on how fast they are, can't be countered on reaction anymore. It's stupid. Increasing the post-scaling was enough.

It's definitely cost me a few matches because I'm so used to performing it on reaction. It might still be a decent DHC, but I don't know if it has post Hyper-flash startup where he can get hit out of it.

Damn. That's ass. lol I guess they didn't want him to be to op! *troll face*

Neki

have gems chen call you comebackfiend 40 more times
you know why comebackfiend is so strong? it's those mixups in XF3. doesn't matter if you block 9 mixups, if you don't block the 10th mixup, you're dead!

I love fighting Dantes who raw teleport against Nova. jump up and grab, lead to combo/reset. so good.

LakeEarth

you know why comebackfiend is so strong? it's those mixups in XF3. doesn't matter if you block 9 mixups, if you don't block the 10th mixup, you're dead!
When he had zero life in that one match on Saturday, he was on storm like glue. It was amazing pressure that never let up.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Damn, I felt like shit when my W/L record dipped just under 60%. I know I wouldn't play the game if I couldn't win at least 50% of my matches.

You should try shaking your team up a bit. It is still early in the game's life and something as simple as changing team order could do the trick.

It'd help if you state your team.

Right now, Haggar/Ghost Rider/Ryu. But Ryu's only there because he's easy to use and I don't have any other good characters to use as a third. Haggar and Ghost Rider are by far my best characters, so I can't really remove them.

This reminds me of Cammy!

Right now, Haggar/Ghost Rider/Ryu. But Ryu's only there because he's easy to use and I don't have any other good characters to use as a third. Haggar and Ghost Rider are by far my best characters, so I can't really remove them.

Consider putting Ghost Rider first. If people get in too close, you can call Haggar assist.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

You may want to try switching around your order. I don't know much Ghost Rider, so I'm not sure how strong an anchor he is, but I imagine you'd want someone other than Haggar on point. If not anchor, then maybe sticking Ghost Rider on point. Haggar's assist was nerfed, but it's still really good and would probably really help in creating space for Ghost Rider's annoying long range game.

Maybe put a good durability assist in for ryu. Taskmaster/Hawkeye arrows or doctor doom/iron man beam assists. Both would help ghost rider zone and haggar get in for the scoops.

Aesthet1c

Man I'm so awful at this game. I'm starting to feel like I will never be successful. I repeatedly get destroyed online by people that kill each of my characters with a single combo. I have no idea where to start progressing. If I play the arcade mode, I can get to galactus on hard, but I feel like that doesn't really do anything to help me online. If I try to just grind online, I repeatedly get swept by people doing 60+ hit combos. I try the challenge and training mode, but I don't feel like I'm getting a lot from those. It's just really frustrating. I'm a pretty decent SSF4 player online, but this just feels so different and alien to me. I'm more used to poking, zoning, etc. This game feels like the point is to get the first hit so you can combo until their first dude is dead, then repeat 2 more times.

Man I'm so awful at this game. I'm starting to feel like I will never be successful. I repeatedly get destroyed online by people that kill each of my characters with a single combo. I have no idea where to start progressing. If I play the arcade mode, I can get to galactus on hard, but I feel like that doesn't really do anything to help me online. If I try to just grind online, I repeatedly get swept by people doing 60+ hit combos. I try the challenge and training mode, but I don't feel like I'm getting a lot from those. It's just really frustrating. I'm a pretty decent SSF4 player online, but this just feels so different and alien to me. I'm more used to poking, zoning, etc. This game feels like the point is to get the first hit so you can combo until their first dude is dead, then repeat 2 more times.

Who do you use? Did you play much vanilla mvc3?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Consider putting Ghost Rider first. If people get in too close, you can call Haggar assist.

You may want to try switching around your order. I don't know much Ghost Rider, so I'm not sure how strong an anchor he is, but I imagine you'd want someone other than Haggar on point. If not anchor, then maybe sticking Ghost Rider on point. Haggar's assist was nerfed, but it's still really good and would probably really help in creating space for Ghost Rider's annoying long range game.

Maybe put a good durability assist in for ryu. Taskmaster/Hawkeye arrows or doctor doom/iron man beam assists. Both would help ghost rider zone and haggar get in for the scoops.

Thanks. Great advice, I'm sure, but that leads me to another problem I have. I'm absolutely no good at using assists. To the point where I rarely use them ever, because I'm afraid of getting them killed. I never know when to call them in, when it's safe to do so, etc, and I get confused after a while because I can never remember which assist corresponds to which button (since characters switch between assist slots so often during battle). Plus the fact that I'm using a pad doesn't make using assists any easier, either.

Just wanted to quote this and say I'm right there with you. I wasn't the best SSFIV player either, but at least there my record hovered around ~50%. Here, not so much.

Neki

do player matches, and keep practicing bnbs. the only way you'll get better at opening people up is by sheer practice. I use to not be able to get in with Nova, until I started using him a lot. sure, I lost a lot initially with him, but that's why he was backed by my two better characters. now I usually sweep with Nova, just because I understand how to open up people with him.

using dat H button

Ashkeloth

I feel kind of the same, to be honest.

I shouldn't be getting annoyed at this game as much as I am, but the fact that Ranked seems to be filled with Dantes, Vergils, and Weskers, who rely on their teleports far too much coupled with lag stopping any sort of punish you may have, it just really is putting me off this game, even without taking into account the fact that I suck.

I get the occasional win here and there, but unless I play my vanilla MvC3 characters, I never stand much chance, and even then, I usually get hit by some ridiculous sword hitbox that takes up 3/4 of the screen.

Aesthet1c

Who do you use? Did you play much vanilla mvc3?

I played very little vanilla with some friends, so I'm pretty much fresh to all this.

Right now I've been trying lots of characters to try to find a good team (I'm open to any noob friendly team suggestions). But I've mostly been playing Ryu/Nemesis/Firebrand.

Neki

I shouldn't be getting annoyed at this game as much as I am, but the fact that Ranked seems to be filled with Dantes, Vergils, and Weskers, who rely on their teleports far too much coupled with lag stopping any sort of punish you may have, it just really is putting me off this game, even without taking into account the fact that I suck.

I get the occasional win here and there, but unless I play my vanilla MvC3 characters, I never stand much chance, and even then, I usually get hit by some ridiculous sword hitbox that takes up 3/4 of the screen.

ignore ranked if you actually want to get better initially. playing ranked means you're usually not going to be facing the same guy consecutively. he's going to lame you out with some tactic or gimmick you've never seen before, and you won't understand why you lost. if you do player matches/lobby, you'll actually have a chance to watch the guy who beat you play, and observe his tendencies. I usually lose 2 times to a new guy that I face if he's really good, but once I learn how he's beating me, I can beat him on the 3rd time.

Thanks. Great advice, I'm sure, but that leads me to another problem I have. I'm absolutely no good at using assists. To the point where I rarely use them ever, because I'm afraid of getting them killed. I never know when to call them in, when it's safe to do so, etc, and I get confused after a while because I can never remember which assist corresponds to which button (since characters switch between assist slots so often during battle). Plus the fact that I'm using a pad doesn't make using assists any easier, either.

This is how I got used to calling assists: Make a team with (1) a solid point character (e.g. Ghost Rider), (2) an assist that works well up close (e.g. Haggar), and (3) a long-range assist (e.g. Sentinel drones). When the opponent is far away, spam the long range assist button in addition to the normal attacks you were already doing with Ghost Rider. When the opponent is close, push the close-range assist button.

It costs nothing to call your assists. You only need to wait for them to cooldown before you can call them again, so spam spam spam those assists. Yes, people will eventually capitalize on this and kill an assist character. After this happens a few times, you'll start to learn when NOT to call them.

I'd say switch Ryu for another anchor with good XF benefits and an assist that compliments Haggar/Ghost Rider. Ghost Rider should have been your first character from the start too.

Go full on keepaway. Keep in mind that a good beam assist paired with the right timing on Haggar's point lariat will be extremely tough for the opponent to break.

How much did you play Vanilla? This was practically 90% of the ranked online experience and a HUGE chunk of player matches. It is only going to get worse with all the new teleporters.

Neki

honestly, don't be afraid of letting your assists die. sure, sentinel dies sometimes because I call him too much sometimes, but the wins I've gotten from drones are much higher than the losses I've gotten from Sentinel dying from being called too much.

that's why I'm sad when I see degen run rocket punch on sent instead of drones. drones backing up two heavy weight characters is real scary.

Kyoufu

honestly, don't be afraid of letting your assists die. sure, sentinel dies sometimes because I call him too much sometimes, but the wins I've gotten from drones are much higher than the losses I've gotten from Sentinel dying from being called too much.

that's why I'm sad when I see degen run rocket punch on sent instead of drones. drones backing up two heavy weight characters is real scary.

Most of my wins came from spamming Sentinel assists lol. So good for Vergil.

And my ONLY wins against Degen were from Sentinel assist spam.

Kamek

Practice the BnBs. Once you have them down I really feel like the game becomes much simpler. You look for that one hit and if you can do the BnBs blindfolded, when you do get that hit you can capitalize. Maybe play a zoning team if you like that kind of style.

Ghost Rider has such a terrible match-up against teleport characters that I'm thinking about dropping him. Push H and call your lock-down assist at the wrong time and you'll end up with two dead characters, oh and just about any point during the match is the wrong time. You really need somebody like Wesker or Vergil in slot 3 so you can put them out first against teleport based teams.

Neki

Ghost Rider has such a terrible match-up against teleport characters that I'm thinking about dropping him. Push H and call your lock-down assist at the wrong time and you'll end up with two dead characters, oh and just about any point during the match is the wrong time. You really need somebody like Wesker or Vergil in slot 3 so you can put them out first against teleport based teams.

ghost rider also loses against zoners. his only good matchups are against people with short normals, no teleports and no projectiles.

Ashkeloth

How much did you play Vanilla? This was practically 90% of the ranked online experience and a HUGE chunk of player matches.

To be honest, in the end, not that much. I didn't much mind Ryu's in Street Fighter because most of them were legitimately terrible, and the lag didn't affect that game as much, but in this hyper twitchy game, filled with teleporting characters, extremely fast crossups, characters flying everywhere, and absurdly large hitboxes, it becomes really frustrating when you drop a combo because the timing isn't quite right.

Having ranted a bit though, I sound kind of like a scrub blaming my losses on lag rather than lack of skill, which is not my intention. I suck thoroughly. I'm just not sure if I'm made of the stuff to bother trying to improve in a game which is designed to be full of really ambiguous and confusing stuff moving really quickly.

Doesn't help that literally every overplayed character is a cocky asshole either. It's like a salt mine directly into my veins.

Oh well, KoF XIII is just around the corner.

shaowebb

I wouldn't put Ryu at anchor even with his buffs. I mained him in vanilla and at anchor with no assists he is FAR too predictable. He pretty much loses any real approaches other than jump and tatsu L for crossup attempts. He really needs assists to cover him on a ground dash up game to fully use him on a team and create openings for that tatsu anyways.

He's okay on point, but unless you got an OTG assist he is really best at Middle position since his only OTG option is to burn a meter with Shinko's. He's kind of a meter whore since his combos without OTG assists are fairly short and have to end in lvl 1 or lvl3 and also since his best punish to in your face hypers,teleporters or jump in guys is his tatsu hyper for its invincibility startups. With the need for all that meter I put him in middle to get the most out of him. In this game though on point he is a good deal better given he has more options with that exploding fireball in the air if they're chasing you to create wall bounce combos and also with his ability to fake out folks thinking a tatsu is coming by going for fireball mash S instead (don't do it too close or you can't stay safe afterwards).

So I guess if you got an OTG assist I say point is where to place Ryu because extending his combo's normal portions before the inevitable hyper at the end yields some good damage. If no OTG exists put him at middle (especially since it gives some nice DHC options). At anchor you face some uphill matchups.

mr. puppy

Banned

yup, same reason i got rid of him. i was sick of losing to team douchebag (vergil/dante/wesker) b/c of a wrong button press.

Neki

I wouldn't put Ryu at anchor even with his buffs. I mained him in vanilla and at anchor with no assists he is FAR too predictable. He pretty much loses any real approaches other than jump and tatsu L for crossup attempts. He really needs assists to cover him on a ground dash up game to fully use him on a team and create openings for that tatsu anyways.

He's okay on point, but unless you got an OTG assist he is really best at Middle position since his only OTG option is to burn a meter with Shinko's. He's kind of a meter whore since his combos without OTG assists are fairly short and have to end in lvl 1 or lvl3 and also since his best punish to in your face hypers,teleporters or jump in guys is his tatsu hyper for its invincibility startups. With the need for all that meter I put him in middle to get the most out of him. In this game though on point he is a good deal better given he has more options with that exploding fireball in the air if they're chasing you to create wall bounce combos and also with his ability to fake out folks thinking a tatsu is coming by going for fireball mash S instead (don't do it too close or you can't stay safe afterwards).

So I guess if you got an OTG assist I say point is where to place Ryu because extending his combo's normal portions before the inevitable hyper at the end yields some good damage. If no OTG exists put him at middle. At anchor you face some uphill matchups.

he can go for overheads now though. but I do agree, a character's effectiveness goes up so much when backed up by the right assists. I still think Ryu is a relatively strong anchor because he punishes assists well, is durable, and hits like a truck. Against a Ryu in the anchor spot, I have to be really careful not to recklessly call assists.

watching solune put doom before vergil in his team order makes me cry.

Aesthet1c

Thanks for the help everyone.

Can someone give me more insight on how team picking should be done? I don't know anything about the point, anchor, etc talk.

Also, what should I be aiming for in a bnb? Like 10 hits? Multiple juggles leading into hypers? Enough to take out 1 character?

bodine1231

Do any of you guys play with the regular controller? I want to get this but I sold my stick last year and don't want to buy another one as cash is tight with all the games coming out.

So someone more skilled at the game give it to me strait. Ultimate She-Hulk. Garbage tier or is she still relatively decent?

Still trying to pick a new team

Neki

Can someone give me more insight on how team picking should be done? I don't know anything about the point, anchor, etc talk.

Also, what should I be aiming for in a bnb? Like 10 hits? Multiple juggles leading into hypers? Enough to take out 1 character?

bnbs are just combos that you can easily do once you've actually landed a hit. it doesn't have to do any specific damage or hits, you just need to have a combo that once you hit them, you can actually do and land. most characters can do s.LMHS j.MMHS. This is probably the most basic bnb. there are three things you need to remember when you want to land a bnb.

1) you need to find a way to actually open them up. use assists, use gimmicks, or just be persistent enough that they'll eventually trip up and not block
2) once you've landed a hit, you need to be able to hit confirm properly. if you can't hit confirm, then you'll be throwing out moves in hopes that you hit someone, which can be highly unsafe. using S for most characters (except for derp wesker) is highly punishable on block. so usually, you want to throw out one or two light attacks and see if it hits. if it does, chain it into an m, and h, and an s.
3) execute what ever combo you want to do once you've hitconfirmed. this just comes with execution and experience. if you drop it, just keep trying until you know how to do it.

I played very little vanilla with some friends, so I'm pretty much fresh to all this.

Right now I've been trying lots of characters to try to find a good team (I'm open to any noob friendly team suggestions). But I've mostly been playing Ryu/Nemesis/Firebrand.

Learn one BnB combo with each of your characters. It doesn't have to be their most damaging combo, just something you can hit consistently. Launcher into magic series into super is fine when you're starting out.

Have a long range assist you can spam to make your opponent's life harder (Sentinel drones, Dr Doom, Taskmaster horizontal arrows...) and an assist you can call for defense whenever the opponent gets too close (Haggar lariat, Hulk anti-air, Frank West shopping cart).

Make sure your 3rd character is a good anchor - someone who can fight without assists and who benefits a lot from level 3 x-factor. Don't use your x-factor until you only have one guy left.

Blocking is overrated. Attack instead.

Nyoro SF

I recommend buying the BradyGames guide and watching more high level play that is related to your team.

Learn one BnB combo with each of your characters. It doesn't have to be their most damaging combo, just something you can hit consistently. Launcher into magic series into super is fine when you're starting out.

Have a long range assist you can spam to make your opponent's life harder (Sentinel drones, Dr Doom, Taskmaster horizontal arrows...) and an assist you can call for defense whenever the opponent gets too close (Haggar lariat, Hulk anti-air, Frank West shopping cart).

Make sure your 3rd character is a good anchor - someone who can fight without assists and who benefits a lot from level 3 x-factor. Don't use your x-factor until you only have one guy left.

Blocking is overrated. Attack instead.
Says the guy with the Wolzerine avatar.
To be honest, in the end, not that much. I didn't much mind Ryu's in Street Fighter because most of them were legitimately terrible, and the lag didn't affect that game as much, but in this hyper twitchy game, filled with teleporting characters, extremely fast crossups, characters flying everywhere, and absurdly large hitboxes, it becomes really frustrating when you drop a combo because the timing isn't quite right.

Having ranted a bit though, I sound kind of like a scrub blaming my losses on lag rather than lack of skill, which is not my intention. I suck thoroughly. I'm just not sure if I'm made of the stuff to bother trying to improve in a game which is designed to be full of really ambiguous and confusing stuff moving really quickly.

Doesn't help that literally every overplayed character is a cocky asshole either. It's like a salt mine directly into my veins.

Oh well, KoF XIII is just around the corner.
It is what it is. I'll just sit back and watch the fireworks instead.

Neki

honestly, learn how to block. if you learn only to win by constant rushdown or zoning, if someone gets in on you, you're going to die. reason why I always get blown up by Hulk, I never respect any of his armored moves. that and the stupid air dash nerf,

try to advancing guard

get air dash and die

With Ghost Rider against teleports, you can cancel his normals IIRC into hellfire then hellfire and backdash to safety. Ghost Rider makes it where your opponent can't call assists so useful there.

But Ghost Rider will take patience and skill to fully unlock. But Hawkeye, Dorm rape him for FREEEEEEE!

As for noob-friendly characters, I have a few suggestions:

- If you're having trouble getting the hang of how combos work, you could try a zoning character backed by a zoning assist. Spam projectiles until you win. Ryu, Taskmaster, Morrigan, Hawkeye, Sentinel, Akuma.
- Big, slow characters do a lot of damage with short combos, and you generally don't have to hit the buttons fast. Launcher, jump, MMHS does a ton of damage with Hulk, Sentinel, and Nemesis.
- Try Hulk. Spam his standing H which has super armor. If the opponent is careless they will get hit. When it connects, do launcher, jump, MMHS for big damage. This won't work against people who know how to play vs Hulk, but you'll get some wins against those who don't and some valuable experience executing combos in a real match.

play abc characters to start. have you tried out any characters with super armor?

simple hulk combo is h, s, j.m, j.m, j.h, j.s, h gamma charge, gamma tsunami
simple sent combo is, c.m, s, j.m, j.m, j.h, j.s, l rocket punch, plasma storm
simple hawkeye combo is df+h, s, j.m, j.m, j.h, j.s, l trick shot, poison arrow, gimlet

JeTmAn81

honestly, learn how to block. if you learn only to win by constant rushdown or zoning, if someone gets in on you, you're going to die. reason why I always get blown up by Hulk, I never respect any of his armored moves. that and the stupid air dash nerf,

try to advancing guard

get air dash and die

:D

Too bad I always get blown up by your Sent. I don't really get it, I mean I mained Sent in vanilla so I should know how he plays. But somehow when I play other Sentinels I get suckered into eating armor, but when I play Sentinel people just dance around me and make me look clumsy and dumb.

SmokeMaxX

- Try Hulk. Spam his standing H which has super armor. If the opponent is careless they will get hit. When it connects, do launcher, jump, MMHS for big damage. This won't work against people who know how to play vs Hulk, but you'll get some wins against those who don't and some valuable experience executing combos in a real match.
Against better players, combine with low assist for unblockable; combine with lockdown assist to keep them from punishing; or karacancel (not sure if you can do this to st. h) into command grab for mixup.

Neki

:D

Too bad I always get blown up by your Sent. I don't really get it, I mean I mained Sent in vanilla so I should know how he plays. But somehow when I play other Sentinels I get suckered into eating armor, but when I play Sentinel people just dance around me and make me look clumsy and dumb.

everyone gets blown up by my sentinel, don't worry too much about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom