• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man I'm so awful at this game. I'm starting to feel like I will never be successful. I repeatedly get destroyed online by people that kill each of my characters with a single combo. I have no idea where to start progressing. If I play the arcade mode, I can get to galactus on hard, but I feel like that doesn't really do anything to help me online. If I try to just grind online, I repeatedly get swept by people doing 60+ hit combos. I try the challenge and training mode, but I don't feel like I'm getting a lot from those. It's just really frustrating. I'm a pretty decent SSF4 player online, but this just feels so different and alien to me. I'm more used to poking, zoning, etc. This game feels like the point is to get the first hit so you can combo until their first dude is dead, then repeat 2 more times.

Find a friend - or a family member and play with them.

You can't learn if you keep getting bodied online. The problem with Ultimate is that the online user base is mostly comprised of fans of Marvel - as opposed to impulse buys from vanilla. You now have people that know what they are doing.

Go to SRK - to the regional match making forums - check if there is anyone near your area with your skill level - and schedule play sessions. I learned Marvel for the first time with Marvel 3 - because when the game came out - there were like 4 of us at SRK who all got together and grinded out matches for hours on end.

I know the netcode is better in Ultimate and there are fewer frames of input latency - but online is still not the best place for a newcomer to learn the basics of Marvel. It's only a tool for those that know their combos, and know their match ups - since it allows their brain to properly react to the things despite the 1-5 frames of lag. This is not possible for a newcomer.

abq

Is this the same as the other SE sticks? Easy to swap with Sanwa / Seimitsu?
I think it's the same improved parts as in the TvC stick. Easily swapable. Worldwide shipping is £1. You get what you pay for, though. It takes 1-2 weeks for things to get to me in Sweden from zavvi. I usually don't mind the wait.

Lothars

I think it's the same improved parts as in the TvC stick. Easily swapable. Worldwide shipping is £1. You get what you pay for, though. It takes 1-2 weeks for things to get to me in Sweden from zavvi. I usually don't mind the wait.

Awesome thanks for the info :)

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Okay, so I think I'm going to try picking up Sentinel as my third. Ghost Rider on point, Haggar, and Sentinel. One issue I've always had with Sentinel though, is that I can never hit his air MMHS. I always drop it after the first M due to Sent being so floaty in the air.

I think I have a decent handle on how he plays, though. Of course, the first time I go online with him I'll be proven horribly, horribly wrong, but eh.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
UMVC3 The Online Warrior: Episode Two 'What Makes A Team?'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6K33MK46z8

Some discussions on character loyalty, and how you design a team around it.

Just got an amazing response...

"I use haggar because of one reason: He has an awesome mustache that reminds me of my late father. Every time I use him its something special to me, like I dedicate each match to my dad. Im glad Haggar got nurfed, because only real loyal people are gonna stick with him. It's why he is on my main team.

richardisawful"

CPS2

One issue I've always had with Sentinel though, is that I can never hit his air MMHS. I always drop it after the first M due to Sent being so floaty in the air.
You have to delay the superjump to do MMHS, so you're lower than normal. Practice his fly/unfly and corner rocket punch combos imo, they're easier than you'd think and really fun. So many people play Sent in such a boring way.

bs000

Against better players, combine with low assist for unblockable; combine with lockdown assist to keep them from punishing; or karacancel (not sure if you can do this to st. h) into command grab for mixup.

How does that make it an unblockable? st.H isn't an overhead. No one's going to block high against Hulk on the ground.

You have to delay the superjump to do MMHS, so you're lower than normal. Practice his fly/unfly and corner rocket punch combos imo, they're easier than you'd think and really fun. So many people play Sent in such a boring way.

Rocket punch nerf means no more rocket punch combos D:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWygbKXiYnY&feature=related#t=06m14s

I dared to play some more ranked online today, well it started off okay and quickly trailed off into frustrating but it was all redeemed by a Wright vs Wright brawl of objections leading to twin turnabout modes of which I emerged the victor.

Through this game and SSF4 online i've noticed that I always fall prey to projectile spamming, I would have thought i'd have learned how to deal with this by now considering the attack pattern is painfully obvious but I swear my brain short circuits upon being greeted by waves of non stop projectile moves.

Grecco

It might be because of the cloud saving on xbox but it deleted my missions that i had cleared with Dante/Vergil/Strider :(

mr. puppy

Banned
Karsticles and Qistoptier, check the firebrand forums on srk, Chrisis just jumped on the train and has some really nasty stuff with viper/firebrand/strider.

Okay, so I think I'm going to try picking up Sentinel as my third. Ghost Rider on point, Haggar, and Sentinel. One issue I've always had with Sentinel though, is that I can never hit his air MMHS. I always drop it after the first M due to Sent being so floaty in the air.

I think I have a decent handle on how he plays, though. Of course, the first time I go online with him I'll be proven horribly, horribly wrong, but eh.
Delay slightly before you jump. Sometimes a straight-up jump works better than a diagonal jump; you'll get a feel for that with experience. You can also just do MHS if MMHS is giving you trouble. When you land, do a rocket punch L into the ball super.

Practice his fly/unfly and corner rocket punch combos imo, they're easier than you'd think and really fun. So many people play Sent in such a boring way.
Nah, master his simple stuff first.

Captain N

AezVeszCEAAXWGt.jpg

yes!!

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
UMVC3 The Online Warrior: Episode Two 'What Makes A Team?'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6K33MK46z8

Some discussions on character loyalty, and how you design a team around it.

Just got an amazing response...

"I use haggar because of one reason: He has an awesome mustache that reminds me of my late father. Every time I use him its something special to me, like I dedicate each match to my dad. Im glad Haggar got nurfed, because only real loyal people are gonna stick with him. It's why he is on my main team.

richardisawful"

That's fucking awesome.

How do people use them hitbox controllers? Shits alien to me.

The same way they'd play on a keyboard. I'd LOVE to try using a hitbox once, but unfortunately I'm too used to using my right fingers for movement and the left for attacks that I'd probably find it really awkward -.-;

I need to look up Karst's guide, I'm sure it has a lot more info than the last time I read it. Any time I swap out Magneto, it bothers me when I don't do 600k+ meterless damage. It shouldn't, though, Dorm does a shit ton.

edit: Ooh, canceling dark matter into power then linking dark hole after is really cool.

Ken

Is there a specific gamertag for Scrub 360 gaf? I'm on the list already but have been spending most of my time with the PS3 version.

I'm on the MahvelGAF tag and when someone posts that they've opened a scrub lobby, I'll just send them a message through that tag.

shaowebb

Can someone add me to scrub 360 gaf?

XBL: doc wily

Props to you for grabbing that name on XBL galvatron. Also props to Max for talking about team building and why people choose certain guys. I chose Sentinel only after he was nerfed and was like max before hand. Because everyone was using him I didn't want to try him, but once his nerf caused folks to drop him I decided I would try to make him stick around. I chose Ryu, for the nice easy combos since I was very new and he was familiar since I'm a Ken loyalist and generally since I preferred him to Akuma due to health and his shinko/tatsu hypers. Tatsu was a great counter hyper...

Problem was I needed an OTG assist and I wasn't going to give up drones, but I literally just didn't like the characters in vanilla with good OTG assists. Yeah some are good characters but I was so freaking sick of some of those guys and them being marketed down my throat that I wouldn't and still won't touch them. I suppose there were guys like Joe, but for different reasons I just didn't enjoy their style of play. No OTG option and not a lot of cast I liked meant small team rotations for me. I generally stuck to cast from Marvel or Street Fighter for this reason. Also Haggar because we've waited for this day for so long.

Now with Ultimate I'm lucky, because I love Iron Fist and Nova and both have great assists. Iron Fist is my longtime personal favorite due to how unique he is and him being one of my first comic book memories so his having an OTG now makes all my teams much better. Ryu especially benefits from him. I play Spencer because I'm a fan of Bionic Commando and what that game almost was. I enjoyed the moments of the 360 console game that were good so much that I'm a major fan and I've spent a longtime doing analysis of how that game should be changed to make it into the top tier title it very well could have been.

Generally, I study the game tools and combos, but I tend to not give a shit for tech if its not either unique or with a character I like. I'm a fan at heart and my team options are limited by this. Some things you never outgrow though so thank God for Iron Fist giving any team I make the options it needs anymore.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
PSN lobby up soon.

Hey Kadey add me on PSN so I can join up easier :p

Xavipants is the account

Oh btw, general question for stick people. Anybody reeeally struggling with the DP inputs? Obviously in SF IV I have no problems because of the shortcuts, but even in 3rd Strike Im a lot more consistent with a successful input than here.

Hey Kadey add me on PSN so I can join up easier :p

Xavipants is the account

Oh btw, general question for stick people. Anybody reeeally struggling with the DP inputs? Obviously in SF IV I have no problems because of the shortcuts, but even in 3rd Strike Im a lot more consistent with a successful input than here.

That makes sense. 3S has shortcuts too (though, obviously not as pronounced).

The best thing to do is hop on to training mode and practice 100 DPs from the right side and another 100 from the left side. You can only get better through practice!

shaowebb

Any chance of a 360 lobby going up on different days of the week Kadey? This way you could stream both our PS3 and our 360 sides of Gaf for showcasing and highlights.

I did FOREVER. Literally what they just said is the truth...you only get better with practice. I only got better because for the longest time around the early months I became obsessed with the idea of Jamming Bomb's in combos for MODOK having a lot of potential since they reverse the opponents inputs. Because of me wanting to come up with something cool I kept having to mash DP inputs to try ideas. Eventually I just got better at them. They still feel a bit sluggish as my Iron Fist play shows, but frequent usage helps a lot with any motion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom