• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaowebb

GGS MahvelGaf. 0-10 . Shows I aint played anything much in the lab lol. But at least I was able to go out on a high note by creating THE MOST FEARSOME TEAM EVER.

Lol Haggar/Hsien Ko/Joe

Zissou

To the people having trouble online, you should post your team and what exactly is giving you trouble so that others can give you more useful advice. Also, you should look at your team ask yourself questions like these:

Can any one single character or character archetype give a lot of difficulty to every member of your team? (doubly bad if it’s a very popular/prominent character or archetype) If yes, rethink your team to address this.

Does your team build sufficient meter to do what it needs to do? Do you build meter but have nothing to do with it? (this is important too! ) Of course it will be hard to win if all your characters need meter but none of them can build it.

Does your anchor have the capability to make a solid comeback? do they have a lot of bad match-ups? can they fight respectably without assists/meter? can they abuse x-factor and also fight without it if they need to?

Things pretty much every character/team can do, so you better be able to do it too:

Can you reliably do a combo for every character on your team that does at least 500k damage? Games are generally over in six combos since average life is less than one million. If you don't have combos to ensure this, you need more opportunities to land hits on your opponent, so even if you're even in every other respect, you'll still lose because you need to land twice as many clean hits as them to win.

Do you have mix-ups or at least ways to pressure characters as they come in?

Do you have DHCs figured out for each character into each other character (both for adding damage and DHCing to safety)? This is important to figure out because: Low health characters are designed to be strong but to be killed in one combo when they finally get hit. Can you do at least 850k via DHC to ensure this?

This game rewards planning and you can win or lose on the character select screen. Good luck!

Giard

To the people having trouble online, you should post your team and what exactly is giving you trouble so that others can give you more useful advice. Also, you should look at your team ask yourself questions like these:

Can any one single character or character archetype give a lot of difficulty to every member of your team? (doubly bad if it’s a very popular/prominent character or archetype) If yes, rethink your team to address this.

Does your team build sufficient meter to do what it needs to do? Do you build meter but have nothing to do with it? (this is important too! ) Of course it will be hard to win if all your characters need meter but none of them can build it.

Does your anchor have the capability to make a solid comeback? do they have a lot of bad match-ups? can they fight respectably without assists/meter? can they abuse x-factor and also fight without it if they need to?

Things pretty much every character/team can do, so you better be able to do it too:

Can you reliably do a combo for every character on your team that does at least 500k damage? Games are generally over in six combos since average life is less than one million. If you don't have combos to ensure this, you need more opportunities to land hits on your opponent, so even if you're even in every other respect, you'll still lose because you need to land twice as many clean hits as them to win.

Do you have mix-ups or at least ways to pressure characters as they come in?

Do you have DHCs figured out for each character into each other character (both for adding damage and DHCing to safety)? This is important to figure out because: Low health characters are designed to be strong but to be killed in one combo when they finally get hit. Can you do at least 850k via DHC to ensure this?

This game rewards planning and you can win or lose on the character select screen. Good luck!
Great post. I need to find the second member of my Cap/???/Sent team before I start winning more than 10% of my matches...

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Man. What direction are you suppose to block that Haggar / Tasky setup Smurf uses? ;_; So much stuff was on the screen. Felt like I lost a match in a cave game...

Oh well, I learned a lot. Jesus tho...so free

Great post. I need to find the second member of my Cap/???/Sent team before I start winning more than 10% of my matches...
You should look up a second slot character with a nice OTG hyper for nice Team hyper combo(THC) and Delayed hyper combo(DHC)synergy. This character should also compliment Cap while being good with Sentinel as support.

Storm may actually suit that team very nicely.

I keep trying to get my Win/Loss numbers into the positives in Ranked, but after I get a few wins, Dr. Doom shows up and says "FUCK THAT" and sends me into a 5+ game losing streak. I swear he's the only character in this game that makes me question my purchase.

Awesome post, Zissou. Hmm, well let's see. Max's video came out at a good time, because I'm stupidly loyal to my team of Hsien-Ko, Phoenix Wright and Amaterasu, each of them being representatives of my favourite Capcom series (in this game, anyway).

I usually start with Hsien-Ko on point. I know that Phoenix Wright seems to be a natural for point position, but I thought Hsien-Ko's powered up Senpu Bu would be a big help. When the battle starts, I usually try to fight with her a bit to build up meter so I can DHC into the Maya Samurai Smelting super to give Wright time to search for evidence. Of course...there are times where Hsien-Ko gets beaten and doesn't get to use her assist. I'm focused on getting Wright safely in, but my defense is lacking, I'll admit.

Ammy's Cold Star is an option, but for some reason I feel nervous using it. It feels like I never use it in the right spot, and she seems to get punished very easily. Since she's my anchor, it's difficult for me to use her often because I need all of her health when she's the last one in. Ammy's an amazing anchor, especially with level 3 X-Factor as many people know. I've thought of having Ammy in the second spot instead to back up Wright with the Team Hyper Combo or even having her on point to use the Vale of Mist...but Hsien-Ko as an anchor? It might catch people off guard who have no experience facing her, but I can't see it being a very consistent option compared to Ammy's versatility.

I know that I definitely need to work on making longer combos/execution and blocking better. I've got pretty poor reflexes, so even if, for example I can see that the opponent is going to attack me from the air, I'll block high, but as soon as they land down...I'm still blocking high, not low. It's difficult for me, and it's probably a big reason why I'm so nervous playing these sort of fighters online compared to say...Smash Brothers or either of the Naruto series.

One thing's for sure, though. I really want to make this team work, no matter what. As silly as it is, it's my reason for even playing this game. If I can't play as my favourite Capcom characters (and I do enjoy all of their movesets), then there's no point in playing this game personally.

Man...that felt good to type out, haha.

Awesome post, Zissou. Hmm, well let's see. Max's video came out at a good time, because I'm stupidly loyal to my team of Hsien-Ko, Phoenix Wright and Amaterasu, each of them being representatives of my favourite Capcom series (in this game, anyway).

I usually start with Hsien-Ko on point. I know that Phoenix Wright seems to be a natural for point position, but I thought Hsien-Ko's powered up Senpu Bu would be a big help. When the battle starts, I usually try to fight with her a bit to build up meter so I can DHC into the Maya Samurai Smelting super to give Wright time to search for evidence. Of course...there are times where Hsien-Ko gets beaten and doesn't get to use her assist. I'm focused on getting Wright safely in, but my defense is lacking, I'll admit.

Ammy's Cold Star is an option, but for some reason I feel nervous using it. It feels like I never use it in the right spot, and she seems to get punished very easily. Since she's my anchor, it's difficult for me to use her often because I need all of her health when she's the last one in. Ammy's an amazing anchor, especially with level 3 X-Factor as many people know. I've thought of having Ammy in the second spot instead to back up Wright with the Team Hyper Combo or even having her on point to use the Vale of Mist...but Hsien-Ko as an anchor? It might catch people off guard who have no experience facing her, but I can't see it being a very consistent option compared to Ammy's versatility.

I know that I definitely need to work on making longer combos/execution and blocking better. I've got pretty poor reflexes, so even if, for example I can see that the opponent is going to attack me from the air, I'll block high, but as soon as they land down...I'm still blocking high, not low. It's difficult for me, and it's probably a big reason why I'm so nervous playing these sort of fighters online compared to say...Smash Brothers or either of the Naruto series.

One thing's for sure, though. I really want to make this team work, no matter what. As silly as it is, it's my reason for even playing this game. If I can't play as my favourite Capcom characters (and I do enjoy all of their movesets), then there's no point in playing this game personally.

It might be time to let her go man.

SolarPowered did and you can too.

The first step is to admit you have a problem man.

lol just kidding I think it's cool you are using a low tier character the world doesn't need another Wesker

smurfx

get some go again
man there's so much stuff i need to learn from the new characters and the old. gotta spend a few hours on ranked and learn this stuff. too bad i don't have the damn time for this.

I keep trying to get my Win/Loss numbers into the positives in Ranked, but after I get a few wins, Dr. Doom shows up and says "FUCK THAT" and sends me into a 5+ game losing streak. I swear he's the only character in this game that makes me question my purchase.

I just play ranked for the experience and don't really care about my rank. It means I can play with alternate teams, play drunk, whatever, and if I get some losses, it doesn't matter.

I've tried Doom a bit since he seems like a no brainer choice in ultimate, but I'm not really feeling him so far as a character. The plasma beam assist is great, but I don't really like using him on point, even with the easy foot dive combos. Oh well, I've had plenty of people call my normal Zero/Wesker/Vergil team cheap already, so it can't be that bad.

I'm starting to notice some weaknesses in this team, but changing up the team order based on the matchup can help mitigate them.

Still, I'll probably want to pick up a fourth character eventually.

Nemesis/Dormammu corner gimmicks:

Nemesis Punches DHC(3rd hit) Fireball, H xx Dark Matter xx Dark Spell(Destroyer), 2HS, jMMHS, Flame Carpet, A1(Nemeslam), Dark Spell(Destroyer), H xx Liberation(2D0C), Chaotic Flame DHC Rockets

Damage: lolz no

Xevren

Is it just me or is ranked much more lagger than player matches? Could just be a bad day, but jesus I can't land shit in ranked. Got the streak achievement out of the way anyway.

LakeEarth

I really don't like how two of your characters need to be "powered up" before they're at their maximum potential.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I'm beginning to suspect that voice chat makes the lag worse. Participated in 2 lobbies tonight and the one where no one was using their mics was a much better experience than the other.

Giard

You should look up a second slot character with a nice OTG hyper for nice Team hyper combo(THC) and Delayed hyper combo(DHC)synergy. This character should also compliment Cap while being good with Sentinel as support.

Storm may actually suit that team very nicely.
I've been trying out Firebrand, for DHCd his Dark Fire does quite well in the corner, but in THCs it's pretty weak. I'm getting around 515k damage. Not too sure if one of his assists could be useful.

I'll try out Storm, but I didn't like her too much the first time I played with her. I'll give her another go.

shaowebb

I'm beginning to suspect that voice chat makes the lag worse. Participated in 2 lobbies tonight and the one where no one was using their mics was a much better experience than the other.

Yeah. When I unplugged my mic for matches we suddenly didn't go underwater in that lobby like the first time. That match was terribly laggy. Luckily that seemed to fix things so you could body me more smoothly that next time :D

Seriously loved those losses. Felicia is a matchup I never get outside of you and Morrigan is one I rarely see as well. I'm not the greatest by far but any matchup that trains me on what I can't beat/block or setup against cast is a big bonus for me no matter how badly I lose. GGS.

Zissou

I think you can find effective uses for any character in the game, but you may want to consider making two teams with your favorites split between them so that you can play to their strengths. For example, you could run Phoenix Wright/Doom/Ammy and find another team to put Hsien-Ko on. You'd be able to use almost the same team, but you'd still have a very solid duo if Wright bites the dust early. Hsien-Ko and Wright seem like they have a lot of overlap since they're both weaker, less-mobile point characters who when powered up offer you a ridiculously good invincible assist. They both require effort to set up, so it sounds like the team would fall apart should the slightest thing go wrong.

I still like the general reasoning people were proposing early in vanilla marvel: choose a character or MAYBE two that you like and figure out a team based around them. If you find a way to make a team of your three favorite characters effective, more power to ya, but if you get frustrated and quit the game before you make them work, what's the point?

Razor210

Anyone know how to deal with Strider divekick assist?

Yeah, uh, so if they call it full screen, you just wait about a third of a second after Strider says something (the instant he appears on screen) and then press S. Free launcher. And if you're Taskmaster, you can replace that with standing M, and get a free combo!

Morris

Disco Devil
Just got the game, learning Nova for now. Not joining the Kadey stream til' I feel like i'm better :c.

Also, YO DEGEN, WHERE U AT SON.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom