• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Karsticles and Qistoptier, check the firebrand forums on srk, Chrisis just jumped on the train and has some really nasty stuff with viper/firebrand/strider.
Thanks for the tip.

For an update on my own team, I found an unblockable setup after snap-ins with Firebrand x Dormammu x Morrigan that kills entire teams. I actually perfected a guy twice in a row last night because after I touched his first character, he couldn't do anything but watch himself die for the next 40 seconds. I wish I were exaggerating, I feel so cheap doing it. Characters with air dashes and double jumps can get out of it, but that's pretty much it.

The setup below:
1) Any Firebrand combo; perform Bon Voyage at some point, dash back after the wall bounce, s.H, snap.

2) Dark Hole, Demon Missile H - you need to do these really close together or it creates a gap.

3) Opponent comes on screen and lands in Dark Hole.

4) If opponent blocked, Demon Missile H hits; combo from here is:
j.H, d.H, qcb.L, c.MHS, Dark Harmonizer assist, sj.MMH, qcf.S, back dash, s.H, snapback

If opponent got hit by Dark Hole, remove the c.M from the combo or the second half of s.H will whiff.

If opponent landed because you screwed up the timing by a few frames:
j.S (you're in the air from Demon Missile H), c.LMHS, sj.MMH, d.H, qcb.L, c.HS, Dark Harmonizer, sj.MMH, Bon Voyage, dash back, s.H, snapback

5) Loop the setup until your opponent's team is dead. Dark Harmonizer allows Firebrand to build just slightly over 1 bar with each snap-in. You can do this forever, and it's completely unstoppable against a good portion of the cast. If your opponent has an aerial hyper like Shinkuu Hadoken, just watch for the flash and release Demon Missile H early - you'll out-prioritize if you do it right.

I still fucking hate Mahneto. In fact I think with the bullshit they've done to Sent's assist I hate him more than I ever had. Also it was genius of them to give him a move that literally makes him vs Haggar a 10-0 match if he's still got a beam assist left.

God that's beautiful, Karst. I was just thinking about how I'm going to deal with the meter issue with my THC-centric teams, but I'm still not sure I want to use a meter assist unless I find something that good.

Is that really unblockable or more like the Wolverine/Dante thing? I'm sure I can do similar stuff with Strider or Zero. Maybe a Strider/Frank West/Dormammu team? Sigh, there's too many cool teams in this game. I want to make a Dr.Strange/Frank West/Dante team and a Phoenix Wright/Dante/Felicia team.

I still fucking hate Mahneto. In fact I think with the bullshit they've done to Sent's assist I hate him more than I ever had. Also it was genius of them to give him a move that literally makes him vs Haggar a 10-0 match if he's still got a beam assist left.

I'm pretty sure that was always a 10-0 match without assists on either side.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
A GAFer is sending me his used SE fightstick, and I just ordered some Sanwa replacement parts for it! I'm pretty excited!!

God that's beautiful, Karst. I was just thinking about how I'm going to deal with the meter issue with my THC-centric teams, but I'm still not sure I want to use a meter assist unless I find something that good.

Is that really unblockable or more like the Wolverine/Dante thing? I'm sure I can do similar stuff with Strider or Zero. Maybe a Strider/Frank West/Dormammu team? Sigh, there's too many cool teams in this game. I want to make a Dr.Strange/Frank West/Dante team and a Phoenix Wright/Dante/Felicia team.
'Tis truly unblockable as far as I can tell. I went 16-1 against one guy and then something like 35-3 against another using this loop to kill their teams. I saw them trying every form of mashing, pushblocking, etc. possible, but to no avail. If there's a way to break out of it, I don't know what it is.

It also works great against newly incoming characters, and anyone trying to superjump toward you, if you can predict the landing spot and call Dark Hole to be there. It also sets up a really hard to block situation if you just do c.LMH, Dark Hole, Demon Missile H at any time during a blockstring. There's a brief moment for your opponent to get out of that last setup, but it's not much of one.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Oh, so I think the game screwed up on me yesterday while playing online. I was using my Ghost Rider/Haggar/Ryu team, against a team of Phoenix Wright/Chun-Li/Hulk. After winning one match, Ghost Rider's victory line was "Your mother belongs in Hell. You'll be joining her shortly". Now, I'm pretty sure that line is meant for Doctor Doom, considering his mother IS in Hell. No idea why it gave me that line considering the characters I was fighting.

'Tis truly unblockable as far as I can tell. I went 16-1 against one guy and then something like 35-3 against another using this loop to kill their teams. I saw them trying every form of mashing, pushblocking, etc. possible, but to no avail. If there's a way to break out of it, I don't know what it is.

It also works great against newly incoming characters, and anyone trying to superjump toward you, if you can predict the landing spot and call Dark Hole to be there. It also sets up a really hard to block situation if you just do c.LMH, Dark Hole, Demon Missile H at any time during a blockstring. There's a brief moment for your opponent to get out of that last setup, but it's not much of one.

Hmm... too bad the only crossup character I know how to use well is Wesker, this is really good. It should work with other characters with hitting crossups and lockdown assists, right? I'm confused why this should work better than Wolverine + Dante.

mr. puppy

Banned
Thanks for the tip.

For an update on my own team, I found an unblockable setup after snap-ins with Firebrand x Dormammu x Morrigan that kills entire teams. I actually perfected a guy twice in a row last night because after I touched his first character, he couldn't do anything but watch himself die for the next 40 seconds. I wish I were exaggerating, I feel so cheap doing it. Characters with air dashes and double jumps can get out of it, but that's pretty much it.

The setup below:
1) Any Firebrand combo; perform Bon Voyage at some point, dash back after the wall bounce, s.H, snap.

2) Dark Hole, Demon Missile H - you need to do these really close together or it creates a gap.

3) Opponent comes on screen and lands in Dark Hole.

4) If opponent blocked, Demon Missile H hits; combo from here is:
j.H, d.H, qcb.L, c.MHS, Dark Harmonizer assist, sj.MMH, qcf.S, back dash, s.H, snapback

If opponent got hit by Dark Hole, remove the c.M from the combo or the second half of s.H will whiff.

If opponent landed because you screwed up the timing by a few frames:
j.S (you're in the air from Demon Missile H), c.LMHS, sj.MMH, d.H, qcb.L, c.HS, Dark Harmonizer, sj.MMH, Bon Voyage, dash back, s.H, snapback

5) Loop the setup until your opponent's team is dead. Dark Harmonizer allows Firebrand to build just slightly over 1 bar with each snap-in. You can do this forever, and it's completely unstoppable against a good portion of the cast. If your opponent has an aerial hyper like Shinkuu Hadoken, just watch for the flash and release Demon Missile H early - you'll out-prioritize if you do it right.

haha i have something really really similar to that with dante/firebrand who i swear to god are best friends in this game.

for what its worth, i really prefer firebrand second because those unblockable setups are so much easier when you have luminous body (or at least I really really feel like I miss it less), and the meter for that is hard to come by with firebrand on point (if you do get a kill) since he doesn't do a lot of damage.

i'm having trouble against people with air dashes of course, so i've tried using taskmasters upward diagonal arrows to stop the dashing and having them deal with that setup, but its not really working out to well.

Hmm... too bad the only crossup character I know how to use well is Wesker, this is really good. It should work with other characters with hitting crossups and lockdown assists, right? I'm confused why this should work better than Wolverine + Dante.
There's a short, short list of assists it works well with. It works better than Wolverine + Dante because Demon Missile H isn't crossing up here. A charged Demon Missile H is actually unblockable in this game, and causes spinning knockdown/stagger on hit.

haha i have something really really similar to that with dante/firebrand who i swear to god are best friends in this game.

for what its worth, i really prefer firebrand second because those unblockable setups are so much easier when you have luminous body (or at least I really really feel like I miss it less), and the meter for that is hard to come by with firebrand on point (if you do get a kill) since he doesn't do a lot of damage.

i'm having trouble against people with air dashes of course, so i've tried using taskmasters upward diagonal arrows to stop the dashing and having them deal with that setup, but its not really working out to well.
Ah. Dark Harmonizer solves all my meter problems. I just need to get my execution up there so I can keep pressuring with Firebrand while calling Morrigan constantly. I'm not very good at it right now. I've also never really played a rushdown character seriously, so Firebrand has been a huge learning experience for me.

There's a short, short list of assists it works well with. It works better than Wolverine + Dante because Demon Missile H isn't crossing up here. A charged Demon Missile H is actually unblockable in this game, and causes spinning knockdown/stagger on hit.

Hold on the what the fuck 0_0

WHY DOESN'T THE GUIDE MENTION THIS SMALL FACT

Hold on the what the fuck 0_0

WHY DOESN'T THE GUIDE MENTION THIS SMALL FACT
I think they totally rushed the Firebrand section. Look at the combo section for him - ITS THE SAME DAMN COMBO EVERY TIME. They didn't even mention fly-cancel combos or command dash combos, one of which was actually in Max's Firebrand video like a month ago.

They also neglected to update Morrigan's Soul Fist damage.

She-hulk has two ways to grab you from the air (not including air throw). She can do qcf+m or she can srk+two buttons. Go into training mode with her and check which one was happening to you. If it was the first one, most characters have normals that will beat it. If it's the second, it's more difficult to escape, but she has to burn a meter to keep it going. At very least, you can fwd air recover and get out of the corner, so even if you get grabbed again, you're no longer in the reset situation, which only works in the corner. Also, you still never answered what your team was. Marvel is a game were it can be difficult to know what's going on, but you need to give us information if you want help.

Was using Nemesis/Vergil/Chun-li. He did it to Nemesis and Vergil and I lucked out with Chun-li but still lost. He kept on doing the diagonal upwards grab move from the ground to get me out of the air each time, don't have access to PS3 right now so I can't check.

Regardless, that whole situation killed my desire to play this game for a while, I will probably have to give it a week or two before I play it again, thanks for the help though.

Was using Nemesis/Vergil/Chun-li. He did it to Nemesis and Vergil and I lucked out with Chun-li but still lost. He kept on doing the diagonal upwards grab move from the ground to get me out of the air each time, don't have access to PS3 right now so I can't check.

Regardless, that whole situation killed my desire to play this game for a while, I will probably have to give it a week or two before I play it again, thanks for the help though.

you could learn she-hulk and do that bullshit to the next guy

Degen

99% sure that I'm about to drop Nemesis for Ghost Rider on my serious team. Hulk's AA Charge assist keeps GR safe, while GR's Hellfire assist gives Hulk some easy instant KOs. Nemesis had no team synergy and his armor delay is too unreliable.

Either Sentinel or Taskmaster will be the anchor. It would be nice for Hulk to get drones and an OTG assist for once, but then again, Taskmaster is... Taskmaster.

I'll still play Team Armor to annoy the PSN chat, though

Mupod

Nova user since day 1

#hipster

Pfff I've been a Nova fan since like new warriors #1, I still have that somewhere. I love how they got a BLUE BLAZES! into this game.

But yeah I haven't actually even fought someone with him so I'm not on the bandwagon quite yet.

forward tech or neutral tech.

WHY DO ALL THESE NEW TEAMS I'M MAKING SUDDENLY NOT INCLUDE MAGNETO >:-(

Fuck all this unblockable and crossup nonsense. I gotta have my favorite character in there. Yipes isn't playing him, so I gotta pick up the slack.

The fact is, this game has too many goddamn good characters. I gotta stick with my shit and build a team around it or I'm just gonna keep making a fool of myself. This game don't feel right without Hyper Grav.

Are there any assists that cause hard knockdown other than Vajra?

JeTmAn81

Fuck all this unblockable and crossup nonsense. I gotta have my favorite character in there. Yipes isn't playing him, so I gotta pick up the slack.

The fact is, this game has too many goddamn good characters. I gotta stick with my shit and build a team around it or I'm just gonna keep making a fool of myself. This game don't feel right without Hyper Grav.

Lol, somebody is feeling himself. The opposite of me last night after losing on the NeoGAF stream and then losing a bunch straight on ranked. I was practically crying just trying to get one win. Actually, it was more like Hulk raging :p.

Any PS3 GAFers wanna play right now?

I am a medium skilled player. Can somebody add me to the PSN chat? Always wanted to be in the vanilla one but never got in.

PSN: SlasherMcGirk

It might be time to let her go man.

SolarPowered did and you can too.

The first step is to admit you have a problem man.

lol just kidding I think it's cool you are using a low tier character the world doesn't need another Wesker

Hahaha, thanks. Hsien-Ko was actually the only reason I kept the first game. As bad as she was....she was pretty fun.

I really don't like how two of your characters need to be "powered up" before they're at their maximum potential.

I know, it's rather unfortunate. Oh well. If I'm using Phoenix Wright, then I have to get used to things either being really bad or really good.

I think you can find effective uses for any character in the game, but you may want to consider making two teams with your favorites split between them so that you can play to their strengths. For example, you could run Phoenix Wright/Doom/Ammy and find another team to put Hsien-Ko on. You'd be able to use almost the same team, but you'd still have a very solid duo if Wright bites the dust early. Hsien-Ko and Wright seem like they have a lot of overlap since they're both weaker, less-mobile point characters who when powered up offer you a ridiculously good invincible assist. They both require effort to set up, so it sounds like the team would fall apart should the slightest thing go wrong.

I still like the general reasoning people were proposing early in vanilla marvel: choose a character or MAYBE two that you like and figure out a team based around them. If you find a way to make a team of your three favorite characters effective, more power to ya, but if you get frustrated and quit the game before you make them work, what's the point?

You've got a point. I'm just stubborn, I guess. Trust me, as disappointed as I am by my losses, I definitely don't want to quit the game, especially when these characters are on the roster. I'll give other characters a shot, but these three are by far the most I've put my playtime into.

You should put Hsien-Ko on second slot. She is not meant to be played on point unless your reflexes are godlike.

Phoenix fucks everything up though. He is so random that I have no idea where he even belongs. I'd say point position seeing as your team is way too front loaded with Ammy on point.

Thanks! Actually, now that I have been thinking about it, other players (or rather LLND) usually place Hsien-Ko in the second slot. Going through the SRK forums, it suddenly makes sense. I'm going to try this team out.

Glix

LTTP here. Been out of the MVC loop for a bit...

Picked this up last night and played for 5 mins before my xanax put me in sleepyland.

How is my boy Thor? Did they make him a little more useable? Any changes I should be super pumped about?

Tron assist got nerfed hard, right? Did she get anything to make up for it?

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
PC version tonight.

There were so many good matches last night. I wouldn't even know where to begin. All I know is that guy was beasting on GAF. Smurf was salty.

shaowebb

Don't feel bad. I'm so caught up in Iron Fist teams that I've dropped Ryu from them and he was my main dude last go round. As good as they compliment each other I don't like having two characters dependant on getting help going in just yet. I may ignore this later though, but I'm getting hit with snap out combos in player lobbies for some reason now and its pretty much because they know it'll cripple the offense of 2/3rd my team if they lose coverage from Hulk or MODOK or whoever I got at anchor.

Though after reading Karsticles post about creating snapouts in the corner so that you can hit unblockables on incoming characters that you can repeat until victory I think I see snapout becoming even more viable than ever. I can see why Seth said he wanted to nerf them...they probably found some stuff like this before. Judging from the guide and the tech recently I'm inclined to believe Firebrand wasn't playtested nearly enough too...seeing lots of shenanigan videos and tactics getting posted and mentioned lately...

Yeah, I think I'm just going to use Magneto/Nemesis/Strider and Wesker/Magnetol/Strider as my backup team.

Vergil or Nova would be a way better 2nd slot(especially Vergil, holy shit that slide assist) for the latter team, but fuck it. I wanna squeeze.

Frantic

There were so many good matches last night. I wouldn't even know where to begin. All I know is that guy was beasting on GAF. Smurf was salty.
I might go through the archives and highlight a few videos so everyone can see Smurf get exposed.[/trollface]

Grecco

I've officially made my decision concerning the Fighting Game Division for Empire Arcadia. The EMP Fighting Division will resume 01.01.12

Triforce claims hes restarting EMP lol

Also im wondering if i should give up on learning Dante :qq

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom