• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm crushing kids with my 2 teams.

Virgil (judgment) / Thor (spark) / Captain America (shield)

Nemisis (whatever) / Virgil (judgment) / Hawkeye (H. arrows)

God bless the mixup game. and God Bless Captain America's buffs. What a difference.

anyone have tips for getting weskers special off after you shoot someone on the ground? for some reason it just doesn't work for me!

example: i air combo a guy, crush him to the ground, shooting him on the ground so he comes up, then i try the special all in one motion but the special just doesn't register. should i have a helper come in first to extend the combo and THEN do it? i could have sworn i saw people do it against me where they just shoot and segue into the special

Zissou

anyone have tips for getting weskers special off after you shoot someone on the ground? for some reason it just doesn't work for me!

example: i air combo a guy, crush him to the ground, shooting him on the ground so he comes up, then i try the special all in one motion but the special just doesn't register. should i have a helper come in first to extend the combo and THEN do it? i could have sworn i saw people do it against me where they just shoot and segue into the special

Immediately after the gunshot do a team hyper combo (press both assist buttons at the same time).

kirblar

Are you talking about the cancel into Maximum Wesker? You can cancel the OTG gunshot into a Team Super (by pressing both assist buttons at once.)

If you want to go into an extended combo, I believe you need an assist to hit after the gun to give Wesker enough time to recover and start hitting the opponent again.

Has anyone gone up against someone using the She-Hulk infinite? I literally could not do anything as he destroyed all my characters, could not x-factor, move or do anything during the whole thing.

Things like this make me regret purchasing this game.

Zissou

Has anyone gone up against someone using the She-Hulk infinite? I literally could not do anything as he destroyed all my characters, could not x-factor, move or do anything during the whole thing.

Things like this make me regret purchasing this game.

Unless something crazy was discovered, she-hulk does not have an infinite. She was probably resetting you over and over again grabbing you out of the air, yeah?

He should have some of the best option selects that tell even She Hulk to shut up if his avatar is anything to go by.

Awesome post, Zissou. Hmm, well let's see. Max's video came out at a good time, because I'm stupidly loyal to my team of Hsien-Ko, Phoenix Wright and Amaterasu, each of them being representatives of my favourite Capcom series (in this game, anyway).

I usually start with Hsien-Ko on point. I know that Phoenix Wright seems to be a natural for point position, but I thought Hsien-Ko's powered up Senpu Bu would be a big help. When the battle starts, I usually try to fight with her a bit to build up meter so I can DHC into the Maya Samurai Smelting super to give Wright time to search for evidence. Of course...there are times where Hsien-Ko gets beaten and doesn't get to use her assist. I'm focused on getting Wright safely in, but my defense is lacking, I'll admit.

Ammy's Cold Star is an option, but for some reason I feel nervous using it. It feels like I never use it in the right spot, and she seems to get punished very easily. Since she's my anchor, it's difficult for me to use her often because I need all of her health when she's the last one in. Ammy's an amazing anchor, especially with level 3 X-Factor as many people know. I've thought of having Ammy in the second spot instead to back up Wright with the Team Hyper Combo or even having her on point to use the Vale of Mist...but Hsien-Ko as an anchor? It might catch people off guard who have no experience facing her, but I can't see it being a very consistent option compared to Ammy's versatility.

I know that I definitely need to work on making longer combos/execution and blocking better. I've got pretty poor reflexes, so even if, for example I can see that the opponent is going to attack me from the air, I'll block high, but as soon as they land down...I'm still blocking high, not low. It's difficult for me, and it's probably a big reason why I'm so nervous playing these sort of fighters online compared to say...Smash Brothers or either of the Naruto series.

One thing's for sure, though. I really want to make this team work, no matter what. As silly as it is, it's my reason for even playing this game. If I can't play as my favourite Capcom characters (and I do enjoy all of their movesets), then there's no point in playing this game personally.

Man...that felt good to type out, haha.
You should put Hsien-Ko on second slot. She is not meant to be played on point unless your reflexes are godlike.

Phoenix fucks everything up though. He is so random that I have no idea where he even belongs. I'd say point position seeing as your team is way too front loaded with Ammy on point.

Zissou

I guess that was it, could not do anything at all. Could not break the grab, x-factor or anything, so basically an infinite.

It's not an infinite because it is escapable. Were they doing the regular anti-air grab or her hyper combo grab? What is your team?

shaowebb

Anyone got the highlight clips of Combofiend near death hitting that incredible zipline into bionic arm to beat out doom lasers? That shits the new "OTG Bionic AAAAAAAAARM! " comeback moment for UMVC3 IMO.

*twitches*

Nova has two loops in XF3. His lance loop and his centurion arts M causes a loop due to the fact that it doesn't count it as your ground bounce.

His centurion arts H goes through projectiles, he has a reset glitch with the lance, can set up several mixups via his trijump options and gravimetric pulse H.

Then can zone the rushers with grav pulse H and lance spam.

Yeah...... considering he was one of Nitsuma's fav marvel chars, looks like favoritism came into effect. And we wondered why he doesn't have a beam assist.

Nova is looking to be so awesome.

You know, you really see some of the corniest gimmicks in online play.

Played a guy who was running:

Sent / Doom / Dante (?)

I can't remember who the 3rd character was, but it was a character that could shoot projectiles too. So he jumps clear to the far side of the screen and just starts calling assists. Doom Hidden missles --> Sent raining bombs assist --> spam projectiles with current character.

Yea, I beat him (teleporting characters and beams ftw), but he had a pretty good record and I assume it was because of that wack strategy. I think your average guy would just be unable to rush him down. hidden missiles force you to block...raining bomblets force you to block...projectiles forcing you to block. If I didn't have the team I was running, I might have been fucked.

Edit: and I love how the meter-depleting air cross-over makes Phoenix irrelevant.

Dunno what it is about this game, but I keep getting blown up my Task and Felicia and Hawkeye... Fuck I beast a whole team and Im left with a Hawkeye with 5 Bars... and X factor... I swear he alone has got to be anti dark phoenix.

btw using a demonic zero, and an ok vergil and trish.

Neki

*twitches*

Nova has two loops in XF3. His lance loop and his centurion arts M causes a loop due to the fact that it doesn't count it as your ground bounce.

His centurion arts H goes through projectiles, he has a reset glitch with the lance, can set up several mixups via his trijump options and gravimetric pulse H.

Then can zone the rushers with grav pulse H and lance spam.

Yeah...... considering he was one of Nitsuma's fav marvel chars, looks like favoritism came into effect. And we wondered why he doesn't have a beam assist.

Nova is looking to be so awesome.

wait centurion rush H goes through projectiles? does it have projectile invincibilty or armor, and is it safe on block?

Neki

seems like the most viable strategy, build 5 bars with down exchanges, then after turning her dark, go with a THC to get a free mix up on her.

Zissou

thus guaranteeing a quick 5 meters for the other guy.

She's truly a burden now. She was a weight on a team before...but now, it's just...you've really gotta love Phoenix.

So then whenever the Phoenix player hits you, they know you'll be mashing down+S so they'll go left/right and take all that meter right back away. Works both ways.

Zissou

Zero is really good since he has very few bad match ups and is very safe. Wesker is also very good but has trouble against certain characters. Dante probably as well since he can still use supers at the ends of combos if he wants and end up hugely meter positive anyway, and also, he has no real terrible matchups. I think strider will be good as well once people figure out better ways to get meter less damage and his level one hyper is barely worth using anyway.

Ashkeloth

So Marvel-GAF, despite my lamentations yesterday about how much I suck at this game, I'm not the sort of guy to quit, and so I sat down and tried to look at my game and how to improve it. Outside of the issue of my tendency to turtle up which usually leads to me being locked down by characters like X-23 or getting crossed up by a teleport/assist or zoned out, I think there may be a problem with my team composition, and so, I ask for help in building a team that works.

I am at least moderately proficient in the following characters:
Amaterasu
Viewtiful Joe
Spencer
Zero
Vergil
Strider
Firebrand
Deadpool
Super-Skrull
Spider-Man
Nova
Iron Fist
Hawkeye

I also can do everything most other people can do with herp-derp characters like Wolverine, Akuma, Dante, and Wesker, but hate them enough now that I could never consider them a part of my team.

My current team is Skrull/Ammy/Strider, but I find that Skrull doesn't build massive amounts of meter and all of his combos lead to Inferno, which leads to Ammy and Strider having no meter to burn, putting them in bad places.
I also feel that Ammy and Strider on the same team doesn't work that well since they're both meter hogs. Generally, I'm having trouble finding a good battery character that doesn't die too quickly.

So, Marvel-GAF, please help me make a team that works using the above characters. (I am a big fan of Strider, and actually have good enough execution to play him, so if possible, I like to run him on anchor. Nothing's set in stone yet, though).

Thanks in advance for any help =)

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Man, Felicia has some straight-up Derp in this game. Fire projectile assist, super jump, dive kick. I'm literally not putting any thought into my approaches and don't even know how to use my 3rd character, but it doesn't even matter.

Dunno what it is about this game, but I keep getting blown up my Task and Felicia and Hawkeye... Fuck I beast a whole team and Im left with a Hawkeye with 5 Bars... and X factor... I swear he alone has got to be anti dark phoenix.
Was I playing against you earlier?

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
So, since this game has been out, do you think anyone has ever used a hawkeye hyper other than "always on target"?

That shit is as cheap as they come.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
So, since this game has been out, do you think anyone has ever used a hawkeye hyper other than "always on target"?

Only by accident, personally.

Damn thing is Bionic Arm in projectile form. I have no idea how to actually use him. I just win from having 5 bars and X-Factor whenever he steps up to the plate.

Tizoc

I've seen scattershot used in some UMvC3 matches a few days ago, one could use them like a super ver. of Hidden Missiles.

ReiGun

I use Scattershot pretty often. It's great when I just want them to stay the hell away from me.

Nope. Just stop jumping up in the air, lol.

I was not jumping in the air, the combo puts you into the air then immediately back to the ground/repeat until dead.

It's not an infinite because it is escapable. Were they doing the regular anti-air grab or her hyper combo grab? What is your team?

I don't know what any of She-Hulks moves are other than that she has a bunch of grabbing moves. All I know is that I lost all control of my character when I was put into the combo. Like I said, I could not xfactor, or anything, not even any whiffed attacks.

It is too bad you can't record matches.

Zissou

I was not jumping in the air, the combo puts you into the air then immediately back to the ground/repeat until dead.

I don't know what any of She-Hulks moves are other than that she has a bunch of grabbing moves. All I know is that I lost all control of my character when I was put into the combo. Like I said, I could not xfactor, or anything, not even any whiffed attacks.

It is too bad you can't record matches.

She-hulk has two ways to grab you from the air (not including air throw). She can do qcf+m or she can srk+two buttons. Go into training mode with her and check which one was happening to you. If it was the first one, most characters have normals that will beat it. If it's the second, it's more difficult to escape, but she has to burn a meter to keep it going. At very least, you can fwd air recover and get out of the corner, so even if you get grabbed again, you're no longer in the reset situation, which only works in the corner. Also, you still never answered what your team was. Marvel is a game were it can be difficult to know what's going on, but you need to give us information if you want help.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Okay, now I'm starting to feel a little bad for using Ghost Rider j.S/Sent drones against randoms online. Like, I'm seriously expecting to get bombarded with hate mail any time now, and I've never gotten hate mail ever. :lol

Also I fear I may be getting a little TOO overconfident here...spin, you need to kick my ass again and put me back in my place. :lol

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
This right here is why when I was learning stick (still am to some degree) I never used shortcuts, as said hit training mode and practice them tiger knees :D

No no dont get me wrong, I DONT use shortcuts. I always go for the forward, down, down forward motion to get a DP out. Its just that this game is making it harder than before to get it out consistently.

I mean shit, Ive been playing SF for close to 20 years now, I learned this shit the right way :p

Bizazedo

wait centurion rush H goes through projectiles? does it have projectile invincibilty or armor, and is it safe on block?

It has super armor :). Not at the very start up, but it can go through anything once it gets going. Nova still takes damage, but I've used it to win against Spencer's Bionic Arm. I wish he had had his headset on so I could've heard his reaction when he hit me and I didn't go flying and instead launched him.

Nova is incredible / ridiculous. My only issue right now is he's a monster anchor, but also powerful in every other slot. Ugh, choices.

Are you talking about the cancel into Maximum Wesker? You can cancel the OTG gunshot into a Team Super (by pressing both assist buttons at once.)

If you want to go into an extended combo, I believe you need an assist to hit after the gun to give Wesker enough time to recover and start hitting the opponent again.

A few of Wesker's missions require you to gunshot into c.M s.H s.S without using assists. Technically possible but requires extremely good timing.

Mupod

Oh god, I discovered that Nova to Frank DHC nonsense late last night by accident while trying to get Nova to say "POWER OF FRANK". Goodbye Nemesis, I hardly knew you.

I don't know how good Nova/Frank/Taskmaster is as a team, but I like all three characters, I've got a mix of old and new guys, and I have marvel and capcom representation so it fits all my totally non-gameplay criteria. Their hypers seem to mesh well, although I mostly just like hearing things like "YOU'RE IN FOR A WORLD OF FRANK".

Not sure what I should use as assists...I've barely used Nova to be honest. I'll figure it out though, that DHC into level 4 frank is just too good and I've been looking for an excuse to use Mr. Rider.

LakeEarth

I do use that shit randomly, but I use scatter shot to DHC after biohazard rush cause it does more damage, and his level 3 when I want to finish things. I should look into scatter shot as a "get off me" utility hyper.

Last night I faced off against a really good player, great corner pressure, but his opening of every match with Iron Fist on point was ATTACK!!! I kept laughing every time I would open Nemesis launcher and put him in the danger zone in one combo.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
So right now Im rolling with

Nova
Hawkeye
Ryu

I like all 3 characters and feel like they give me a good mix of rush down, power and projectiles, although Ryu might be a little redundant and I might be better with a heavy character or Ghost Rider instead. Im not a big fan of Hawkeye in the comics, but hes pretty awesome in this game, gotta admit.

I also haven't really thought about assists yet, Im figuring the best way to play is to pick the 3 characters I play the best with .. I mean hell, picking one character to be awesome with and picking the other 2 just for assists seems like too big a gamble for me.

USD

Marvel Kayo?!

VXsG6.jpg

Still trying to get used to playing with assist characters. She says she wants to use Ghost Rider and Phoenix Wright.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom