• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Which require at least a modicum of effort and planning. Trish and Wolverine just go into their attacks on autopilot.

Isn't the bounce arguably better since you can cancel it, and your opponent can't X-Factor punish it as easily?

Dormamu has got to be in the A-tier discussion. He's a beast in this game.

Don't forget about Taskmaster and Hawkeye either, they are up there for certain. Hawkeye is a candidate for S-tier. Gimlet is probably the most useful hyper in the game.

Dorm is definitely another menace in this game. He was so good in Vanilla. And he's just better now. He's suffering from Doom syndrome.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RZgdBI7MhIA

I'm guessing all those pockets on Deadpool are some sort of parody of the 90s or something.

Deadpool+%2526+Cable+Pouches.jpg

Bizazedo

Isn't the bounce arguably better since you can cancel it, and your opponent can't X-Factor punish it as easily?

Arguably, but that's kind of my point.

I'm not saying it's not a great move that's extremely powerful. It is.

I'm saying it's not a derp move that you'd go on autopilot using. You can do different things out of it and if you screw up doing the dash after the block (hey, it happens), you're left a bit vulnerable.

Wolverine and Trish is go go go go go go go.

That's all.

Doom is definitely harder to use than Wolverine and (I'd assume?) Trish. I've used Wolvie, but not Trish, so I won't pretend to know that.

Don't forget about Taskmaster and Hawkeye either, they are up there for certain. Hawkeye is a candidate for S-tier. Gimlet is probably the most useful hyper in the game.
Both Dormammu and Taskmaster were at least low A tier in Vanilla MvC3. The worst that could happen is that they would stay in the same spot full of extremely strong A tier characters which is not bad at all.

Dorm could make the jump to S, but I'm not going to jump to conclusions when the game has been out for only a week.

TGMIII

Speaking of trish what's the general thoughts on her. Always someone I wanted to put in my team but just didn't think she was good enough to spend a lot of time with.

V_Arnold

I'm saying it's not a derp move that you'd go on autopilot using. You can do different things out of it and if you screw up doing the dash after the block (hey, it happens), you're left a bit vulnerable.

That's all.

Doom is definitely harder to use than Wolverine and (I'd assume?) Trish. I've used Wolvie, but not Trish, so I won't pretend to know that.

...uhm, no. Trish is not a dumb "rushdown" char I think, even when Wolverine is. But they both lack the amazing tools that Doom has in the high-range (Wolverine) or the assists (Trish) department. Overall, Doom is better than either Trish OR wolverine, even if you consider their melee "going in" style "dumb". Imho, ofc.

Grecco

Hawkeye definetly. Hes reeeeally good.

V_Arnold

Speaking of trish what's the general thoughts on her. Always someone I wanted to put in my team but just didn't think she was good enough to spend a lot of time with.

To be honest, my dream is to have a Trish/Strange/Hawkeye trio sometimes. Now I am just using a Viper/Vergil/Hawkeye one, but will get in the lab with her seriously in december.

Bizazedo

...uhm, no. Trish is not a dumb "rushdown" char I think, even when Wolverine is. But they both lack the amazing tools that Doom has in the high-range (Wolverine) or the assists (Trish) department. Overall, Doom is better than either Trish OR wolverine, even if you consider their melee "going in" style "dumb". Imho, ofc.

....we're just comparing dive kicks. No one's saying Doom doesn't have amazing tools or saying he's better or worse than Wolvie or Trish.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

That's all.

I think Doom's divekick can be used herpderp, it just has more versatility so you're not forced to use it herpderp. Herpderp divekicks with Doom is playing Doom wrong, but you can do it with some limited effectiveness.

But that's as far as Doom's "herpderpiness" goes as far as I'm concerned. He's definitely harder to use in general than Wolverine (who isn't?). Trish is a little more complicated, but I would say that Doom is harder to use than her as well. Trish can also cancel her divekick, whereas Wolverine can't, so hers also doesn't have to be used (and shouldn't be used) in a herpderpy way.

Trish is awesome in this game. I use her on my sub-team.

V_Arnold

....we're just comparing dive kicks. No one's saying Doom doesn't have amazing tools or saying he's better or worse than Wolvie or Trish.

Then just assume that I find comparisons of individual moves useless as the whole package is what counts :D Please continue! : )

TGMIII

To be honest, my dream is to have a Trish/Strange/Hawkeye trio sometimes. Now I am just using a Viper/Vergil/Hawkeye one, but will get in the lab with her seriously in december.

If I was to pick a team regardless of tier listings I'd play Trish/viper/Magneto. Trish seems to have some really good air X-factor combos but I just feel like she lacks in everything else but who knows maybe shes got some stuff to figure out.

Bizazedo

Hawkeye definetly. Hes reeeeally good.

Y'ever cut through the opposing team, have a real high-paced match going, and their anchor Hawkeye jumps out and you're like...

"Crap, have to change gears."

It's like, lets bait out as many Gimlets as possible :).

I am so bad when it comes to patience.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
If I was to pick a team regardless of tier listings I'd play Trish/viper/Magneto. Trish seems to have some really good air X-factor combos but I just feel like she lacks in everything else but who knows maybe shes got some stuff to figure out.

Lacking in what? Trish has mobility, divekick, keepaway options, OTG Hyper, higher damage now, good zoning projectiles, huge ranged normals, a slide, good utility DHC Hypers, solid assists...

Y'ever cut through the opposing team, have a real high-paced match going, and their anchor Hawkeye jumps out and you're like...

"Crap, have to change gears."

It's like, lets bait out as many Gimlets as possible :).

I am so bad when it comes to patience.

Hah, I've been there. Are there any blindspots to Gimlet? I've only seen it miss twice. Once when I was crossing under Hawkeye, and another time when I used it against someone's Maximum Vergil (I think that was just luck).

TGMIII

Lacking in what? Trish has mobility, divekick, keepaway options, OTG Hyper, higher damage now, good zoning projectiles, huge ranged normals, a slide, good utility DHC Hypers, solid assists...

Maybe lacking was a bad word. I just feel like other characters can do what she does better. Maybe it's me just getting disheartened when she dies in one combo.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Maybe lacking was a bad word. I just feel like other characters can do what she does better. Maybe it's me just getting disheartened when she dies in one combo.

I guess it depends on what you want to use her for. I feel like she thrives on particular, creative setups, and her keepaway. She can definitely perform some rushdown with the right assists and traps in place, but you're right in that a lot of the cast does it better than her. I think that she was really underrated in Vanilla, and they gave her some incredibly useful buffs.

TGMIII

I guess it depends on what you want to use her for. I feel like she thrives on particular, creative setups, and her keepaway. She can definitely perform some rushdown with the right assists and traps in place, but you're right in that a lot of the cast does it better than her. I think that she was really underrated in Vanilla, and they gave her some incredibly useful buffs.

I almost feel like I need to create a team around her in order to get 100% out of her and having viper on the team fills a part of the role with round harvest > viper focus attack but not the whole picture. I'm toying with trish/viper/someone right now and as much as I'd like it to be mags I really think I need a 3rd with good/high health and good comeback ability, maybe spencer, doom or taskmaster.

Bizazedo

Hah, I've been there. Are there any blindspots to Gimlet? I've only seen it miss twice. Once when I was crossing under Hawkeye, and another time when I used it against someone's Maximum Vergil (I think that was just luck).

I've seen it miss a Wesker who was mid-teleport. 645 said he saw it miss a delta kicking Felicia, which doesn't surprise me given the speed at which I've seen her move as of late (she seems like an evil mix of Zero / X-23..she's beastly).

It seems like it only misses people who are already moving very fast.

She's annoying to fight but to a certain degree even more annoying to play with as her chipping game is awful and the odds of her killing someone before she gets killed isn't very high. I think as far as zoning characters in UMvC3 goes she's probably one of the weakest. But she still has value for her Peekaboo assist, still the most underrated assist in the whole game.

dankir

Hulk is pretty freaking sick in this game. The Forward + MP move is fantastic cuz you cancel it into anything.

Seriously the combo from the bible:

crouching L, M xx forward + MP cancelled in anti air Hulk Charge L xx in M with the wall bounce then dash forward into air M, H, S then standing M xx forward MP , S into air M, M, H, S then either Hyper Gamma Wave or Gamma Wave L into Gamma Crush.

It's like 800 K regular damage does 1.6 million in XF3 lol.

Seriously if you're a Hulk player all you need is that wall bounce with anti air second M attack and the other guy is pretty much dead.

Just needs a good assist but Hulk is beastly.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Hulk is pretty freaking sick in this game. The Forward + MP move is fantastic cuz you cancel it into anything.

crouching L, M xx forward + MP cancelled in anti air Hulk Charge L xx in M with the wall bounce then dash forward into air M, H, S then standing M xx forward MP , S into air M, M, H, S then either Hyper Gamma Wave or Gamma Wave L into Gamma Crush.

Seriously if you're a Hulk player all you need is that wall bounce with anti air second M attack and the other guy is pretty much dead.

http://youtu.be/32X5qltoeyc

Yeeeeeeaaap

Giard

I'm trying to use this team:

Arthur (Daggers) / Captain America (Charging Star) / Sentinel (Drones)

Arthur because I really like the char. On point he can deal a lot of chip damage and get enough meter to activate Gold armor and switch out. I think Charging Star can help send people flying if they're getting to close to Arthur, and Drones just add even more projectiles.

Captain America is probably my best char, and both Daggers and Drones can help him get in with his Backflip.

Sentinel's zoning is helped by Arthur's Daggers, and as an anchor he's pretty good. Arthur could play that role too.

Someone tell me if I'm crazy for trying to make this work.

V_Arnold

Is there any way to reliably combo Vergil's sword ultra attacks into ANYTHING once you are mid-combo?

On big characters, df+H -> teleport (trick) cancel does work, but on smaller characters, it goes out of combo. And I cant seem to find the proper time to activate it before he is knocked down. Hm. Maybe something is wrong with my imagination :D

Solune

Yah Impact Punch is REAL good. Plus on medium size characters he can get a double overhead with J.M into a BnB. If a combo starts in the corner 950k for 1 meter.
Is there any way to reliably combo Vergil's sword ultra attacks into ANYTHING once you are mid-combo?

On big characters, df+H -> teleport (trick) cancel does work, but on smaller characters, it goes out of combo. And I cant seem to find the proper time to activate it before he is knocked down. Hm. Maybe something is wrong with my imagination :D
Best way to go into a Summoned Swords combo is after a wallbounce. Instead of High Time it's better to use Helm Breaker or J.S(Starfall), after the 2nd Rep you can squeeze in a Round Trip if you have it charged (Swag combo loop). If you want a more braindead combo you can do S > Upper Slash for about four reps into whatever finisher you want.

Isn't it one of his trials? It was something like stinger->H->SxxSummoned Swords->stinger->H->Sxxchange formation->stinger->H->S->mash the swords->stinger->whatever

Solune

Isn't it one of his trials? It was something like stinger->H->SxxSummoned Swords->stinger->H->Sxxchange formation->stinger->H->S->mash the swords->stinger->whatever

Blistering Swords combo, mission 9. But that costs 2 meters to begin with. That combo does around 600k damage but you can easily get that with 1 meter using assist.

d0c_zaius

Late in responding to this, but I was actually using him as anchor for a while.

But when using Joe, Firebrand, Arthur it seems like it takes waaaay to long to do anything significant. I can dance around all day and eat up time, but it doesn't seem as effective as it should be. Also finding the right combination of assists for those three seems impossible.

Oh and I really suck at using the swoop assist :(

Viewtiful Joe/Firebrand is a really fun combo though.

Giard

Never thought I'd actually do it, but I won two times in a row with my new team. Also, I managed to get the "Need a Healing Factor" achievement.

My two victories were against bad opponents though...as in, people with equally shitty win ratios as mine.

Charging Star seems like a really good assist for zoning characters.

dankir

Never thought I'd actually do it, but I won two times in a row with my new team. Also, I managed to get the "Need a Healing Factor" achievement.

My two victories were against bad opponents though...as in, people with equally shitty win ratios as mine.

Charging Star seems like a really good assist for zoning characters.

Thats the only way to test out if your team is good. Just forget about tier lists and all that bullshit, play whoever works for you.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Haha, man. This dude DC'ed even though he obviously had me beaten, just because I KO'ed one of his characters. I'll never understand DC'ers. Even at my most depressed/salty I'll just stand there and take the loss rather than doing something (even more) stupid like that.

shaowebb

This. I've been mentioning that Wallbounce being a scary thing since I found out about in Max's vids. Hulk's got so much damage already that giving him tools like wallbounces allows him to start his combos in ways he couldn't before meaning he doesn't have to resort to his otg or an assist as early. Fighting a Hulk who knows this is TOD fear the whole time. Just look at this guys "random combo" he came up with online messing with Hulk for a little while.
781,000 damage...
Imagine if he had x-factored at any point. The guy is a beast this go round. He wasn't exactly bad before but damn do I hope Mike Ross goes back in on the guy now. Small combo big punish has never been so true as with him now. I've been using him to get either my Ryu/Iron Fist inside or to push people into the corner for MODOK teams.

EDIT:
Also on the topic of posting tech people have put on youtube check out the new SBK loop for Chun this guy came up with! I wish he hadn't maxed his meter for the vid...i'd like to know how much meter it builds.

Lothars

Haha, man. This dude DC'ed even though he obviously had me beaten, just because I KO'ed one of his characters. I'll never understand DC'ers. Even at my most depressed/salty I'll just stand there and take the loss rather than doing something (even more) stupid like that.

I feel the same way, I will never disconnect in the middle of a round. No matter how bad I am doing.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
It's true, Hawkeye is such a ridiculous anchor. Almost every time I come across someone online using him as such, it's always XF3, Gimlet Gimlet Gimlet Gimlet Gimlet etc.

So I just picked this up.

I played maybe a few days worth of MvC3 but just never got into it since I was still in the vortex of SF4 and refused to let go of it. I always love watching Marvel matches so I wanted to get into UMVC3.

Any pointers for a newbie who plays more SF then Marvel or Versus games?

Are the combos more 'tappy' as opposed to execution of specific moves? Something similar to Target Combos in SF?

Anyways.. Hopefully I can do okay in this game.

So I just picked this up.

I played maybe a few days worth of MvC3 but just never got into it since I was still in the vortex of SF4 and refused to let go of it. I always love watching Marvel matches so I wanted to get into UMVC3.

Any pointers for a newbie who plays more SF then Marvel or Versus games?

Are the combos more 'tappy' as opposed to execution of specific moves? Something similar to Target Combos in SF?

Anyways.. Hopefully I can do okay in this game.

If you play online, just expect your characters to die in one or two combos sometimes.
If you are using a TE stick, stick to Type B layout. I believe the majority uses this.
Very few combos require execution to win in this game.

Character I recommend for starters: Wesker =D

your unblockable set up wasn't working?

sucks I couldn't find the lobby for an hour so I could play. :(
Dude, I sent you an invite to the lobby...

The unblockable setup only works against non-air dash characters. Giancarlo was using air dashers or characters with aerial teleporters.

Great games everyone, firebrand is annoying to get to but once I do I makes sure to kill that little bastard. lol. See you next time on the stream.
It's funny. I spent this morning playing Deadpool on point, and got 4 hatemail and a ragequit (including someone telling me that my father "loves to play with my wet butthole"). Then I played against Dago_Premium, a very good player, who was using Captain America. Deadpool can't do shit against Captain America. Goddamn do I hate Captain America and his random projectile invincible 500K "combo".

Dago convinced me to give Firebrand another shot, and I did, and did much better (overall score was like 4-12 in his favor, 3 of those wins were with Firebrand on the team). So, now I might be keeping Firebrand, but I'm just having such a hard time figuring out how to make him work against spacing characters without assists to back him up.

I might need to spend some time in the lab figuring out new unblockable setups. If I dropped Firebrand for someone else, I don't even know who it could be. Dr. Strange seems utterly terrible without assists backing him, he just can't create space well or maintain it.

A part of me wants to go back to Sentinel...I finally ditched Sentinel because he has absolutely no answer to spam though, and nothing has changed in that regard aside from Magneto. FML.

shaowebb

If I dropped Firebrand for someone else, I don't even know who it could be. Dr. Strange seems utterly terrible without assists backing him, he just can't create space well or maintain it.

A part of me wants to go back to Sentinel...I finally ditched Sentinel because he has absolutely no answer to spam though, and nothing has changed in that regard aside from Magneto. FML.

What's your whole team and playstyle preference currently?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom