• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just picked this up.

I played maybe a few days worth of MvC3 but just never got into it since I was still in the vortex of SF4 and refused to let go of it. I always love watching Marvel matches so I wanted to get into UMVC3.

Any pointers for a newbie who plays more SF then Marvel or Versus games?

Are the combos more 'tappy' as opposed to execution of specific moves? Something similar to Target Combos in SF?

Anyways.. Hopefully I can do okay in this game.

Almost everything is based on chains/cancels. Timing isn't strict at all unless you're doing the fancier stuff.

Anyone have any tips for advanced guarding? Videos or other things?

I found this one video for Vanilla and it shows Task Punishing a Shinku with his Hyper but it only works if you advance guard the last possible second of the shinku then it almost looks as if he hypers right though the attack.

I need help punishing Task fucking Shield shit (his launcher or his forward H)

Also I got messed up bad by a Wolvie that would only jab into drill claw and then dive kick... When I tried to advance gaurd I would actually attack during his drill claw and get hit by the dive kick...

How Punishable is Dive kick? Also can you grab out of a blocked drive kick? Or is it save?

SykoTech

Man, lots of scrubs online this time around (PS3). It took me forever to get the "Win 5 Ranked in a Row" trophy last time, but I got it directly after my first 5 matches in Ultimate. Only about half of my opponents seemed to even know how to block.

Loving the game though. Been mainly just playing with my friends irl.

I have an awful win-loss record on Ranked Matches, but i can live with this. Anyways, i'm on if we want to get a lobby going. Break out my beastly MODOK.

Also I got messed up bad by a Wolvie that would only jab into drill claw and then dive kick... When I tried to advance gaurd I would actually attack during his drill claw and get hit by the dive kick...

How Punishable is Dive kick? Also can you grab out of a blocked drive kick? Or is it save?
i wouldn't recommend punishing taskies b+h, he can frame trap into his s or, even just use arrows to make it safe. only punish it if his s comes out, but even then he may call an assist to make that safe.

don't mash advancing guard, just press it once.

dive kick isn't punishable at all unless you xf guard cancel it.

Anyone have any tips for advanced guarding? Videos or other things?

I found this one video for Vanilla and it shows Task Punishing a Shinku with his Hyper but it only works if you advance guard the last possible second of the shinku then it almost looks as if he hypers right though the attack.

Does anyone know? @__@

I still have horrible issues fighting good dante's Weskers and Wolveries... Seems Task game is better this time around too... don't get me started on Strider... oh my. I use a Rush down team, and it seems my weakness is other rush down characters that I am unfamiliar with.

Also anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with Hisen Ko and her block stun when shes golden and assisting? Its like a free mix up if someone is using Wolvie and her.

Ken

I have an awful win-loss record on Ranked Matches, but i can live with this. Anyways, i'm on if we want to get a lobby going. Break out my beastly MODOK.

Sure, I'll hop on. I'm pretty terrible though since I'm still trying to find a team to use.

GT: Chocopolka

shaowebb

Does anyone know? @__@

I still have horrible issues fighting good dante's Weskers and Wolveries... Seems Task game is better this time around too... don't get me started on Strider... oh my. I use a Rush down team, and it seems my weakness is other rush down characters that I am unfamiliar with.

Also anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with Hisen Ko and her block stun when shes golden and assisting? Its like a free mix up if someone is using Wolvie and her.

Gold Armor Hsien Ko is entirely based on being ridiculously good in this game. The rest of her character is severely lacking and is slow and punishable, but in general I just avoid her crap and when I think she's coming as an assist with it. Otherwise I snap her in to put a stop to it and just stay on her since she doesn't fair to well to in your face stuff.

I rush down a ton, but I've recently tried my hand at some heavy zoning.
Who are you playing right now and how scrubby would you say you are? I may have some stuff that worked for me if your not too advanced that could help you get started on dealing with shenanigans, though nothing can replace simple experience to train you how to block in matches.

JeTmAn81

Man, lots of scrubs online this time around (PS3). It took me forever to get the "Win 5 Ranked in a Row" trophy last time, but I got it directly after my first 5 matches in Ultimate. Only about half of my opponents seemed to even know how to block.

Were you playing with the Ranking setting on Same or Any? I've been playing on Any, and I don't think I've run into anyone who didn't play like they'd spent a lot of time in vanilla and knew what they were doing.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican

I won 11 out of my first 10 matches in Ranked in Vanilla, then went on to 15-15 out of my first 30!

Were you playing with the Ranking setting on Same or Any? I've been playing on Any, and I don't think I've run into anyone who didn't play like they'd spent a lot of time in vanilla and knew what they were doing.

Absolutely true. I haven't played anyone Online who didn't play like they knew what they were doing.

LakeEarth

I'm trying to use this team:

Arthur (Daggers) / Captain America (Charging Star) / Sentinel (Drones)

Arthur because I really like the char. On point he can deal a lot of chip damage and get enough meter to activate Gold armor and switch out. I think Charging Star can help send people flying if they're getting to close to Arthur, and Drones just add even more projectiles.

Captain America is probably my best char, and both Daggers and Drones can help him get in with his Backflip.

Sentinel's zoning is helped by Arthur's Daggers, and as an anchor he's pretty good. Arthur could play that role too.

Someone tell me if I'm crazy for trying to make this work.
Arthur/Sentinel is definitely a super best friends combination.

Gold Armor Hsien Ko is entirely based on being ridiculously good in this game. The rest of her character is severely lacking and is slow and punishable, but in general I just avoid her crap and when I think she's coming as an assist with it. Otherwise I snap her in to put a stop to it and just stay on her since she doesn't fair to well to in your face stuff.

I rush down a ton, but I've recently tried my hand at some heavy zoning.
Who are you playing right now and how scrubby would you say you are? I may have some stuff that worked for me if your not too advanced that could help you get started on dealing with shenanigans, though nothing can replace simple experience to train you how to block in matches.

Well I fight against a friend of mine and I am convinced I can wreck him as long as that assist is not in my way, he used an On Point Wolvie and a pretty tough Ammy, but I can usually crack ammy with Zero's Zoning game...

He usually starts the match by doing her buff and switching her out... But on the few occasions I beat Wolvie and Ammy with her still alive she tags in... And she cracks me open with her Shoryu (swinging multi hitter) or her arial claw that is a multi hitter... It seems I get crossed up or it hits me and she gets in. And I cannot zone her because of her gong.

I need to know how safe these attacks are on block... I had not started using advance guard for normal attacks till recently cause I thought Zero could not advance guard while charging (figured out I should hit M+H while charging L)

Also how many of you guys use Wave Dashing as a tactic to get in? I know how to use it but It seems I cant get out an attack without doing a QCF... or some weird attack outside of L M H (magic series)

Zeros Wave kinda sucks.... but Vergil's is amazing, but I keep messing it up when it comes to attacking once I get near the enemy... =( I use RB which is my M+H to wave dash.

So with that, it would be RB+Down+RB+Down right?

ReiGun

Getting a handle on Zero and Dante. Got a basic combo going with each of them, going to start working on resets and ways to get in next. Funny thing I like about playing Zero is that I'm basically forced to use all my fingers while I charge the buster, whereas I normally just use my index and middle fingers. I've also taken to using Ammy's coldstar to hold them in place so I have a little more time to charge.

Does Ultimate let you do Versus the CPU? Arcade is dull as hell, and I don't much care to get blown up online while I'm trying to learn new chars.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Does Ultimate let you do Versus the CPU? Arcade is dull as hell, and I don't much care to get blown up online while I'm trying to learn new chars.

Man, I wish. It baffles me that neither MvC or MK9 have this. =/

Speaking of Arcade, the AI is a total joke. Even on the hardest difficulty, all it does is turtle endlessly, virtually never going on the offensive.

shaowebb

Also how many of you guys use Wave Dashing as a tactic to get in? I know how to use it but It seems I cant get out an attack without doing a QCF... or some weird attack outside of L M H (magic series)

Zeros Wave kinda sucks.... but Vergil's is amazing, but I keep messing it up when it comes to attacking once I get near the enemy... =( I use RB which is my M+H to wave dash.

So with that, it would be RB+Down+RB+Down right?

I play Iron Fist and Ryu a lot so I wave dash like crazy. You need coverage to use it or they need to be jumping to really make it powerful. I'm not really certain why you can't get out an attack afterwards though. Are you canceling the last dash with down or just letting it rock?
If you're letting it rock then your suffering from the whole problem with dashes in general of recovery and your only hitting moves by canceling that last dash into a super. This is why my wave dashes usually end in a crouching hit since I cancel my dash with a down at the end instead of some other method.

ReiGun

Man, I wish. It baffles me that neither MvC or MK9 have this. =/

Speaking of Arcade, the AI is a total joke. Even on the hardest difficulty, all it does is turtle endlessly, virtually never going on the offensive.
Turtle and grab you out of everything. It's so dumb.

Can't you turn on CPU in training mode?

You can, but I just like doing this sort of thing in an actual match. Personal preference really.

LakeEarth

Got me a 3 win streak :eek:

I'll play with scrubGAF soon enough. Just need to improve my Sentinel a little.
On ranked, I got rocked by a Arthur/Haggar/Sentinel. And Haggar/Sentinel is a pretty good combination too. But I'd figure teleporters would give the team problems.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
It's okay. I was just trying to test it out to see if it would work.

Streaming above 720p at 61fps and I don't have the rest of my equipment yet.

I'll have PSN lobby up tonight if the Live guys aren't around.

A lot of people will not be able to watch it but that is why I need quality controls. Facebook like, Tweet and follow the stream to make it happen.

shaowebb

On ranked, I got rocked by a Arthur/Haggar/Sentinel. And Haggar/Sentinel is a pretty good combination too. But I'd figure teleporters would give the team problems.

-_-' They do...oh man how they hurt them. I used Haggar a lot in Vanilla and only gave up after no buffs of note were mentioned for Vanilla after they nerfed his lariat. I don't even spam lariats either. I go in on them and fish for resets because that man has a million of them. Plus I was always using Sentinel for Anchor for the drones so the two often met and were friends for me. However one Wesker or Dante could kill 2/3rds my team so quickly that it was ridiculous. I can't even tell you how many pixie characters I've seen Happy Birthday the two of them given how easy it is to predict that assist when Haggar is out front. I honestly did better with using Spencer grapple assist to drag them in than Sent.

Maybe I should've gone full bottom tier and ran Hsien Ko/Haggar and use gold armor assist to cover Haggar instead.

I play Iron Fist and Ryu a lot so I wave dash like crazy. You need coverage to use it or they need to be jumping to really make it powerful. I'm not really certain why you can't get out an attack afterwards though. Are you canceling the last dash with down or just letting it rock?
If you're letting it rock then your suffering from the whole problem with dashes in general of recovery and your only hitting moves by canceling that last dash into a super. This is why my wave dashes usually end in a crouching hit since I cancel my dash with a down at the end instead of some other method.

I didn't think about what I was using just before I attack... I guess ill try making sure for certain that I am canceling dash by pressing down before I attack.

Giard

I can't say I've played against many of them, but when I did, Charging Star assist did a good job of keeping them at bay.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
If it starts early enough I'd definitely join the Live lobby.

LOL, a friend of mine just got this so I did some random character matches against him. That Phoenix Wright assist in turnabout mode is pretty ridiculous. My friend did a random midscreen Million Dollars with Dante, and I just had Wright walk through all the bullets and hit him. XD

Wright don't give a fuck.

Fighting against that involves nothing but instinct. Bait it and punish the point character if the assist misses. It is a lot like Lariat in that way except it is worse with hitstun/damage scaling and it does get blown up by stuff like HSF.

Neki

Fighting against that involves nothing but instinct. Bait it and punish the point character if the assist misses. It is a lot like Lariat in that way except it is worse with hitstun/damage scaling and it does get blown up by stuff like HSF.

solarpowered would know about this, especially the last parts.

For those asking who's a good beginner character, Captain America seems like a decent place to start. He's probably the most average guy in the game, and he's not low tier like last time around. Doing his simple stuff will teach you the basics of chain combos, OTG combos, and screen control with his projectile.

Giard

For those asking who's a good beginner character, Captain America seems like a decent place to start. He's probably the most average guy in the game, and he's not low tier like last time around. Doing his simple stuff will teach you the basics of chain combos, OTG combos, and screen control with his projectile.
noooo he was my secret :(

Since I'm so full of myself I decided to highlight some matches from the PSN lobby last night.

http://www.twitch.tv/somethingpanda/b/300769511
Me vs. SephirothRK

http://www.twitch.tv/somethingpanda/b/300770721
Me doing a hot reset

Watching the match against SephirothRK was real sloppy. We both dropped stuff. I could have ended it on 3 separate occasions, one of them being a happy birthday. But, at least I pulled it out in the end.

ah you're FullFlej. I remember watching that match with Thor.

You know... I don't think I can play through this anymore.

These days, it's all combo cancel combo hitbox cancel hyper advance guard cancel ex.
I at least stood a chance sometimes in vanilla MVC3, but I just can't keep up with all that even through missions and training and that's why I keep getting destroyed. Horribly.

Masamuna

Just got the new testament in the mail. Turns out I was completely wrong about IF's chi. All three versions have armor from frames 5-20, so activating after a blocked LP rekka (which is 0 on block) is a good setup against most of the cast if they decide to mash in retaliation. It also turns out Iron Rage is invincible on frame 1-11 and attacks on frame 6. This definitely helps a lot.

Task's rope cancel shenanigans feel straight dirty. And Sting Master being safe means another mixup after blocked shield skills. Lurv it!

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Cloud and Kars. You can opt to get your PSN points now instead of having me send them.

Just message me on JTV.

PSN lobby up soon. I'm going to find a happy medium between the two quality options because I know for sure most people won't be able to watch the latter.

Xevren

I'm so proud of myself. I always struggle with doing my combo's online but was able to do my sword summon loop combo with Vergil. I need to stick to lobby matches, ranked is always so damned laggy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom