• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nori Chan

Here is my main team and I'm gonna pick up Vergil for my 2nd team thanks to Dahbomb hyping his ass up like the second coming of jesus lol

FI47C.jpg
Mpec2.jpg
uPQv0.jpg

and yes X-23 is my anchor #ScrubGaf

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
They said the Salty Battles 7 tourney will be starting whenever Winrich and RayRay get there. Chris G is also there. No word on MarlinPie. Supposodly some money matches going down too.

Until then the same two dudes are running sets. Dude's Nova and Viper are fun to watch.

EDIT: Whoa damn, Chris G contributing 250$ as a pot bonus himself to Salty Battles 8 which will be Marvel only. Hahah he must be feeling himself right now with the game.

The Ultimate Dormammu Thread has been updated. All of The Basics sections are now filled out. I went through the old guide and retained what was useful while adding new things people have discovered thus far. Feel free to share any criticisms or thoughts on content. The videos are all from Vanilla, and it will likely stay that way for some time unless someone wants to help me out on that end.

Link:
http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-ultimate-dormammu-thread.141974/

Dahbomb

I am not hyping up Vergil at all, I am sharing tech like I usually do.

People should be playing the characters they want to play in this game. Seriously, at least 40/50 of the characters are super good and have something value to bring to the team that can help you win matches and have fun while doing it. All 3 of those characters (X23/Deadpool/Nova) are excellent but you may want to switch up the orders and stuff for maximum optimization.

The people who were hyping up Vergil were people like Justin Wong, PRBalrog, Noel Brown, Tokido, Freida, FlashMetroid etc who are basically declaring him like top 3 at least and super cheap/broken which he isn't (well not at this stage, he isn't top 3). So now everyone else is riding that bandwagon and suddenly Vergil is hated on despite being a new character in the game that hasn't even been explored yet. It's completely unfounded but I guess it can't be helped.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

People should be playing the characters they want to play in this game. Seriously, at least 40/50 of the characters are super good and have something value to bring to the team that can help you win matches and have fun while doing it. All 3 of those characters (X23/Deadpool/Nova) are excellent but you may want to switch up the orders and stuff for maximum optimization.

The people who were hyping up Vergil were people like Justin Wong, PRBalrog, Noel Brown, Tokido, Freida, FlashMetroid etc who are basically declaring him like top 3 at least and super cheap/broken which he isn't (well not at this stage, he isn't top 3). So now everyone else is riding that bandwagon and suddenly Vergil is hated on despite being a new character in the game that hasn't even been explored yet. It's completely unfounded but I guess it can't be helped.
Blow up incoming. :p

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
If he is off at all it is by four or five characters max.
I'm just saying, making predictions 2 weeks in is dangerous. Even though I agree a ton of the cast is definitely playable to a high degree, I'm staying safe on this one before DHC Glitch 2.0 or some ridiculous broken tech is discovered.

UMvC3 is very much in it's infancy.

Frantic

Hey 360GAF, can any of you pick out a match where that Simple Mode French Lagger was using Firebrand? It was actually really effective and I'd like to analyze one of those videos where he does nothing but just swoop around.
I'm not sure how effective it would be without lag, but here ya go.
Here's the first time, resulting in one of the luckiest victories I've ever had in Marvel 3.
The second, which was actually the same match where my counter whiffed because of the luckiest Maximum Wesker ever.

Also, more a 'proof of concept' video for Dahbomb involving my Vergil/Spencer setups: http://www.twitch.tv/fusillade/b/301021233

Dahbomb

Blow up incoming. :p
Whatever... as far as casuals go the 40/50 thing is definitely correct and even at mid level play it holds true. Maybe once this game is explored and only the tippity top tier becomes viable in competitive matches this will not hold true but in the immediate future there are so many threats in this game to sleep on.

Commentators dick riding that Wesker bandwagon to eternity. So much false information being spread around.

LOL @ Marlin "Viper will be on point until the day I die" Pie.

Frantic: I approve of that very dirty set up. And lol @ no meter being used until the very end but the stream was cut because it was 1 minute. I already know you did XF Devil Trigger -> Dark Angel like a boss.

Solune

Does one of the missions not cover that?

You can grapple in diagonally forward to connect another LMH>Armor Piercer I think while they're still in hitstun from the wall bounce. Or just land and do bionic arm.
No you can't do LMH after a wire grapple M, best follow ups are Zipline Diagonal towards > J.S > Then there's a bunch of options, note that spacing and timing is strict in some cases. You can do Armor Piercer | HS > Magic Series | H > Wire Grapple > Bionic Bomber.

Ahh it said Wire Grapple H, my bad, I'll get to that in a bit.

I'm just saying, making predictions 2 weeks in is dangerous. Even though I agree a ton of the cast is definitely playable to a high degree, I'm staying safe on this one before DHC Glitch 2.0 or some ridiculous broken tech is discovered.

UMvC3 is very much in it's infancy.
Making tier lists is a dumb idea, but making a prediction like his isn't. Most top tiers got knocked down a peg, high tiers got buffed, mids got buffed, some lows got buffed and about 90% of the new characters are high/top tier material.

It is a pretty easy conclusion to arrive at.

Nori Chan

Appreciate that. I wanted to have a team that appealed to me, but at the same time can hold its own.

I do however want to abuse tiers :D
:(

Dahbomb

If you want to abuse tiers pick Wesker. He's safe.

edit: Wtf Wesker is 10 times the man Nova is.
No if you want to abuse tiers Zero is safe. Wesker in UMVC3 is free to Zero.

Nova > Wesker. Nova doesn't have to take off part of his costume for 600K meterless damage.

Bro, everybody is free to Zero.

Wesker > Nova. Wesker gets stronger when he does a hyper, Nova cuts himself and listens to Fallout Boy. Plus, Nova doesn't even get his own moveset.

Bizazedo

Nova's speed is ridiculous in XF lvl 3 and reaction Nova force eats up any Wesker attack.

That and it's so easy to land a simple throw with him. In XF3 a throw = you're dead.

What do you want? Vergil + Wesker means Vergil gets snazzy combos off of OTG and ANY button including Helm Breaker which is his best air move because he can cancel it. He also has unblockable set ups. Zero on point Rekkoha into Spiral Swords is the new Rekkoha into Dante DT. Since Zero doesn't use ground bounces or wall bounces in his combos, Vergil Spiral Sword DHC can net you +300K-400K in damage off of Zero combos. Zero builds meter for Vergil to dominate with although there is no full screen projectile on that team of Zero/Vergil/Wesker to get in/apply pressure with. Vergil needs an assist like that so bad it hurts (if you plan to play him anywhere except anchor). Zero to Wesker DHC sucks but Wesker + Vergil Rapid Slash means you get teleport cross ups all day long and in corners this stuff is insanely hard to block. Zero can get air throw combos off of Wesker Gun shot assist. If you plan to keep Vergil + Zero and drop Wesker, then you should invest in a projectile assist on 3rd spot like maybe Doom. In that instance you will probably not have a way to combo off of air throw in which case just switch Vergil's assist to Judgment Cut and you can combo off of air throw with Zero. This team of Zero + Vergil + projectile assist character has already been utilized by Flocker and he has already won a mini-tournament with it. He basically plays Zero like he plays on his Phoenix team, builds meter for Vergil and Hawkeye to dominate with.

Thanks, I didn't see this post till just now since you edited it in. Or at least I think you did. Anyway, I missed it before.

How many times do I have to tell you guys that I don't have online? .

Okay, then I take it you're posting this at a library or something.

So where do you actually get your match experience from? You live in Pakistan right? Is there a decent scene there to get actual match ups to test out some of these training mode tech? You can record some of your tech ghetto style - just use a camcorder and point it at your TV lol, it'll get the job done. I'm interesting in seeing some of your mix-ups.

I went to a casual session we have weekly here - about 20 or so of us there, and I found out that what I thought was godlike Vergil resets and set-ups in training mode weren't so godlike, and the resets that I thought weren't as effective actually turned out to be more effective against actual opponents offline in tournament. I still have to work on Vergil - he's easily the weakest I have on my team, and I think I may end up getting Vergil off and putting Dante back in. I just think all things considered Dante is the better character. Probably still top 5.

We stream every Tuesday - if anyone is interested I'll post a link here next week, we have some crazy good Felicia players. That fucking air delta kick - I said goddamn.

Bizazedo

Wesker teleports. He's faster than Nova by DEFINITION. And Wesker's throw is better than Nova's.

He's vulnerable after he teleports and can be tossed out of it if he even tries to do anything close to Nova and that Nova player is familiar with Wesker.

And I was just talking even a ground throw and Wesker's dead. Which is easy as hell to land due to XF3 speed + hitstun from blocking nova.

The Dog>Wesker in Vanilla and I'd say this is still true because of Ammy's 40% speed boost. She even got a ten percent damage increase over her old Vanilla XF3.
Wesker teleports. He's faster than Nova by DEFINITION. And Wesker's throw is better than Nova's.
I thought Nova had the better OS and more opportunities to combo off throw...

Dahbomb

So where do you actually get your match experience from? You live in Pakistan right? Is there a decent scene there to get actual match ups to test out some of these training mode tech?
Yeah it's a decent scene and I get enough practice and match play to test out my stuff. And it works so that's all I need. Once I move back to the States I am going to get online and show some of it off. Maybe before that I can get some recording footage up of at least the tech to show people that I am not BS. I really want to show off the HSH resets with Akuma assist.

Time for theory fighting is over anyway. It was fun while it lasted. I haven't said anything that I haven't actually played in a live match. It's why I say stuff like "Zero/Wesker match up is free" in UMVC3.

I went to a casual session we have weekly here - about 20 or so of us there, and I found out that what I thought was godlike Vergil resets weren't so godlike, and the resets that I thought weren't as effective actually turned out to be more effective against actual opponents offline in tournament.
I am interested in these resets. Can't have enough tech.

Felicia being great is old news.

You lied cloud! Magneto on point with that team? FIX YOUR SHIT

As for Nova vs Wesker throws, neither one is really any better, and both have good setups that are team dependent. That said, Wesker is better.

Marn doesn't know how to play Vergil. In fact he doesn't even know how to play Wesker. Your team order is fine but Marn's isn't that bad either especially if you want to learn Vergil (and the best way to learn Vergil is to play him on point). When you play Vergil on point you learn where his strengths and weaknesses are as well as valuable match up experience. Once you learn Vergil on point (and it's a difficult task because you can't play herp derp with him in good matches) and you put him down the order you realize how absurd he is with meter and anchor. In Devil Trigger mode has has no weakness because generally everything he throws out is either safe or can be made safe even on whiff. His DT bonuses stack with X factor and his absurd hit boxes + speed and combo off of air throw means he is a godlike anchor. With 2 bars, you can Storm Sword their last character into a locked mix up session and they can't do anything about it. Most people just block and get air throw during it as well which in LVL3XF is a character kill.

Vergil doesn't get much out of Zero's assists and Vergil to Zero DHC is decent but not the most optimum. The slow fireball of Zero assist isn't what Vergil needs, he needs a fast space covering assist so his teleport cross ups are difficult to block. Zero to Vergil on the other hand is a very optimum DHC and Zero benefits from Vergil's assists (gets an air throw combo off of Judgment Cut and mix ups). Wesker's DHCs are terrible no matter what but at least you get on point "Dark" Wesker so Zero/Wesker/Vergil is also optimum but in this order you want Rapid Slash for Wesker (Zero can get combo off of Low gun shot anyway). Both Zero and Wesker build a ton of meter for Vergil to overwhelm with in XF and I haven't played an anchor match up where I thought I didn't have an advantage with Vergil.

Ah geez I missed this post too.

Why can't you just make a new post? ;_; I read it before you edited in the response to my question; I didn't think there would be any reason to go back and read the post again.

Frantic

Frantic: I approve of that very dirty set up. And lol @ no meter being used until the very end but the stream was cut because it was 1 minute. I already know you did XF Devil Trigger -> Dark Angel like a boss.
LOL, I tried to do that, but XF didn't come out and the level 3 whiffed. I was pretty sad about it, since my entire goal with Vergil is not to kill the other person... it's to land a level 3/4 on the other person, LOL.

But yeah, I really like that setup. Spencer's Slant Shot sets up some dirty, mostly unavoidable mixups. I've actually found some Dante/Spencer setups that force a Jam Session mixup from any combo, anywhere. It's some dirty stuff.

Neki

nova had the best air throw and ground throw in the game. Anyone who thinks otherwise is lol. Seeing nova in all these teams, when did he become such a popular bandwagon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom