• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT| of 9 Years Urley

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys are skipping names and sometimes not adding them to the list at all... I think Kadey just wants one big list to copypasta.

Here it is updated:

XBL / PSN / (GAFname)
Kadey1up Kadey1up
Gunstarheroes77 N/A (Gunstar)
LeGiard N/A (Giard)
N/A Dragon17013 (Degen)
N/A ProfessorBeef (ProfessorBeef)
OldschoolGamerZ N/A (Oldschoolgamer)
N/A Karsticles (Karsticles)
ParallaxScroll ParallaxScroll (ParallaxScroll)
N/A lolez2matt (lolez2matt)
Bizazedo Bizazedo (Bizazedo)
Chocopolka N/A (Ken)
NAFLA (Nils)
N/A FullFlej (A Pretty Panda)
spindashing atrickcard (spindashing)
N/A Blaze627 (Lucky Number Seven Force)
corrosivefrost corrosivefrost (corrosivefrost)
N/A kevo_huevo (kevo_huevo)
N/A JeTmAn81 (JeTmAn81)
N/A Reigun16 (ReiGun)
arvinater N/A (enzo_gt)
N/A Bogue2kw (BY2K)
N/A MoTheHawk (Mo the Hawk)
N/A RuinerPrime (Twisted-Gamer)
N/A theonekid0 (supasmashed)
smurfxzilla N/A (smurfx)
N/A Cydonian (~Devil Trigger~)
doc wily N/A (galvatron)
KillaBMike Killasasa (Killa Sasa)

Included me self.

Phoenix would be so, so much worse if they doubled her health and got rid of Dark Phoenix, assuming we're talking about Vanilla Phoenix. And by worse, I mean the people who hate her would hate her more.

Anywho, I updated The Ultimate Dormammu Thread's Matchup and Team Building sections.

Phoenix would be so, so much worse if they doubled her health and got rid of Dark Phoenix, assuming we're talking about Vanilla Phoenix. And by worse, I mean the people who hate her would hate her more.

Anywho, I updated The Ultimate Dormammu Thread's Matchup and Team Building sections.

Or if they just let Strange teleport after tossing discs in the air.

Mine has always been a top class player, got 2nd in NCR and 7th in EVO, and he would have probably won this tourney with or without Wesker. So I am not sure why people are complaining about how broken Wesker is when it's Mine himself who's broken relative to the rest of the NorCal scene.

Well, I guess the healing field super would be freaking broken on just herself, lol. But yea, she'd definitely be a really really good character.

shaowebb

XBL / PSN / (GAFname)
Kadey1up Kadey1up
LeGiard N/A (Giard)
N/A Dragon17013 (Degen)
Chocopolka N/A (Ken)
NAFLA (Nils)
N/A JeTmAn81 (JeTmAn81)
N/A Reigun16 (ReiGun)
arvinater N/A (enzo_gt)
N/A Bogue2kw (BY2K)
smurfxzilla N/A (smurfx)
doc wily N/A (galvatron)
Dynasty Penguin (shaowebb)

Dahbomb

There was a tournament and I missed it? Sad.

Nice combo vid Caj! Just woke up to see it.

I also want to know what the hell is up with Dr Strange? Has anyone figured this character out yet? He makes Vergil block strings and moves look like Wolverine in comparison of safety. So ridiculous.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The question is whether or not he needs the nerf/buff in that case. If Fei Long or Yang get figured out by a handful of high/top tiers does that mean they need to be buffed when they are already strong as hell and the game's changes makes them even better?

People like to espouse that they want balance and character variety, but it is pretty hard to do that if you can't regulate characters with an extremely strong/proven track record. Viscant's predictions may be very very good, but they are still predictions made by a fallible human. People like to doubt Justin all the time even though he is the most well known US fighting game player in the entire world. What is so different about Viscant that makes his predictions so surefire?

I think this could go in an interesting direction aside from the Wesker discussion which kinda feels like it went off in the wrong direction from the start lol

Pretty much like Red Arremer said, you have to let it evolve before we can even talk about this, for the same reason why I said many predictions are unfounded. Because if your speaking Wesker relative to the rest of the cast, well much of the rest of the cast has received more dramatic changes, more volatile you could even say.

Really, I can't tell you what went through Capcom's mind when they gave Wesker his changes. It's not even whether you look at certain things as a buff or a nerf, with Wesker I feel why was it even necessary to make this change? I've been vocal about it before but I want every character to be Wesker tier, by that I mean every character should be buffed/nerfed for a few to the level of potency and efficacy Wesker has. I look at the sunglasses thing and think why the fuck is this even here? What is the rationale behind it? And I got nothing. Was it supposed to dynamically influence how Wesker players expend meter, in pursuit of a active buff? No wait that doesn't make sense, and that's crazy far out there.

So then what is it? Did Capcom look into their crystal ball and foresee what Viscant sees? Or, in fact, did they use a different character as a metric to aim for when it comes to creating a powerful character? Maybe he was buffed in response to them thinking Strange and PW were too ridiculous, and used their new characters as a sort of yardstick for what to do when balancing all the old characters. In which case, I think that's pretty smart because it kinda deals with the effect that Seth described that one time where as soon as you introduce new characters into the mix, they are overpowered, or have to be a bit overpowered until they resonate long enough to integrate with the rest of the cast.

If we continue along with these assumptions, we can also see why people are saying Wesker is bullshit: because the majority of the rest of the cast did not receive substantial enough buffs to also be comparable. The fact that we can, even now, discern Zero and Wesker and Doom as being ahead of the curve is a testament to the discrepancy in balancing. Big or small, the discrepancy exists. Capcom justifies it though SUPARSECRETJILLTECH and stuff and really, I don't fault them for that either. Because you'll never really attain an indicator of how balanced a game actually is, only get closer to it as time goes on. The sooner you make snap-patch judgments, the sooner you disrupt the evolution of the metagame and increase the margin for potential unbalance once again. So I think what they're doing is lighting every character's fire a bit, and letting it rock. Something like Quicksilver comes along? Okay patch that out, it's gamebreaking, but please, let the rest of it rock. Even the all-Phoenix metagame was becoming a bit threatened near the end there. If one rises supreme, the others will evolve to avoid being killed off. Natural selection baby.

Not sure where your going with the humans are fallible thing unless you want to go into a full philosophical breakdown of the human psyche :p Viscant is the best Wesker in the world, flat out. I'd say Noel, as formulaic and almost static as he is, has proven himself as #2, and he's far, far below Viscant. So I take what he has to say with more merit than anyone else. Wesker can only do so much, but he's really fucking good at what he does, and it just so happens all the stuff he does well is crucial to highly level play. I'm not taking what he says as the word of god, but I can definitely see his rationale for it. Wesker is more straightforward as Nova. Ain't nothin' to playing him. I think he's even easier to pick up and play than Sentinel. There's no part of Wesker's game that I look at and think "oh there's some potential broken shit hidden within there." Everyone played Wesker in vanilla, and he's developed so relatively little compared to the rest of the cast then too, we've been seeing the same shit for months on end. So if he becomes the new antagonist in the place of Dark Phoenix, which everyone has to adapt and evolve against, the odds are certainly not in the favour of more Wesker tech being developed vs. other tech when Wesker tech is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" tier.

Not sure if this is where you intended this discussion to go but this kind of stuff fascinates me. I think this feeling is how Dahbomb feels when a white haired, adolescent-voiced boy in a trenchcoat walks by.

Hmm... I got my meterless BnB with Magneto over 600k without the alioune loop, and I pushed the alioune loop to around 680k meterless. There isn't really any point to it, so I'll stick to the 550k version that's more reliable with more followup options. I'm satisfied with all my combos and resets, all I really need to work on is evening out some Strider tech and having more solid matchup gameplans. I don't feel like my team has any serious weaknesses at this point.

Anyway, this is my last post on gaf. Maybe I'll start posting again during the next round of fighting games, especially Persona 4 Ultimate. I have my doubts on whether I'll get back into the Soul Calibur tournament scene again, even if it's the game I'm best at. The new mechanics interest me, but it's still too slow. And it's not really the sort of game worth posting over. SFxT doesn't really interest me until Twelve gets announced. Even less if tournaments have restrictions on gems. If my schedule eases up, you might see me at SouthTown Arcade ranbats or SoCal Regionals as BAI.

Later.

The only things that really bother me about Wesker is how much damage he does, and that he gets a permanent bonus for having the glasses off. It was explained by S-Kill that his glasses would break over time, and Phantom Dance would fix the glasses. In that sense, it was actually a pretty neat buff. Wesker players have to think (gasp) about whether they want to finish a character and lose their buff, or try for a reset and keep it. For some reason, it was never implemented how Seth made it out to be.

The damage issue is pretty big. Firebrand works his butt off for 600K. That's about as high as he can get from 1 meter, and he just barely builds a bar. I'm fine with this, and I'm even fine with him doing less. What I'm not cool with is so many characters having 1-hit kills. Why do we have resets?

I need to reset my opponents maybe 1 out of 10 matches with Dormammu, and I'm not even using his 900K 1 meter bnb. If I were, I'd have to reset people even less. Resets are just generally superfluous unless your character does weak damage. That should not be the standard, though. EVERY character should require a reset to kill a character unless they're burning 3+ bars of meter. "Reset" characters should be distinguished by having to do this one more time, but having an easier time doing it.

Chris G dropped Firebrand for Wesker for one simple reason, and it's the same reason everyone used Wolverine in Vanilla: why work hard when you don't have to? Why use a character that needs 2 resets to kill a heavy when you can just do it all on the first hit? Outside of loving the character, there is no reason.

Anyway, this is my last post on gaf.
Enjoy life, GB.

Zissou

The question is whether or not he needs the nerf/buff in that case. If Fei Long or Yang get figured out by a handful of high/top tiers does that mean they need to be buffed when they are already strong as hell and the game's changes makes them even better?

People like to espouse that they want balance and character variety, but it is pretty hard to do that if you can't regulate characters with an extremely strong/proven track record. Viscant's predictions may be very very good, but they are still predictions made by a fallible human. People like to doubt Justin all the time even though he is the most well known US fighting game player in the entire world. What is so different about Viscant that makes his predictions so surefire?

I think this could go in an interesting direction aside from the Wesker discussion which kinda feels like it went off in the wrong direction from the start lol

I give a lot of credibility to viscant's predictions because he correctly predicted LOTS of stuff about vanilla marvel early on (march/april), and this was when the fighting engine was brand new. Within a month, he had figured out the team skeleton of Wesker/x/Phoenix that would win him evo, and he starting using Haggar assist not long after. He predicted pretty accurately how evo top 8 would play out as well. Also, he was saying very early on that zero gave his team problems, and then we saw late in vanilla's life that a good zero was the one to take him down. I feel like he's good at not talking about things he doesn't understand yet, so when he does say something, it's well thought out and on the ball. I can't really find anything he said about vanilla marvel that turned out to be flat out wrong.

Dahbomb

People are completely over reacting to Wesker.

You guys should be complaining about Zero and how bull shit something like Raikousen -> Buster -> Raikousen is. Dude makes Wesker's mix ups look fair in comparison.

"Oh hey guys let me hit you with a 3/4th screen cross up move that even I don't know if it will cross up or not"

"So you blocked my bull shit cross up move... let me release a button so I can catch your button as you foolishly try to punish me"

"Oh you didn't press a button? Well now eat ANOTHER bull shit cross up that even I don't know if it will cross up or not"

And in any of this phase he can go into a combo. People not complaining about something like this probably haven't experienced this enough to comment and are too busy getting bodied by scrub Weskers/Vergils.

Anyway Viscant has been ahead of the curve in MVC3 for the longest of time and has correctly predicted the trends and meta game. He was harping about Zero and the bad match ups of Wesker way before anyone else was. He also think MODOK bodies Wesker as well as a bunch of other characters. He was also one of the first people to talk about Viper being insane as well as Dante. Oh and he invented the most powerful team combination in vanilla MVC3 which was Top point/Top assist/Phoenix. He made a tutorial video for MVC3 and won EVO based off of the tech in that video.

I don't know what he feels about Wesker as of right now. Probably the same in that once people start playing the real top characters more Wesker is going to have a hard time winning stuff.

It was explained by S-Kill that his glasses would break over time, and Phantom Dance would fix the glasses.
That's HONESTLY how I thought this buff was supposed to be like. Wesker gets more damage when he gets beat up but when he uses a hyper it resets the damage/speed boost. When I actually got the game I was dumb founded that if you just did a random Wesker hyper you would get a semi-permanent buff in the game (permanent if he's the last character). What's even stupid is that it's attached to a hyper that is very finnicky to punish unlike something like Vergil's Dimension Slash where you can sip a coffee, make a sandwich, raw tag in twice, taunt, wave dash over and hit him with a slow ass launcher to punish him.

Irregardless of what I feel about Wesker in terms of how he stacks up with other characters... that shit is just dumb.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Hmm... I got my meterless BnB with Magneto over 600k without the alioune loop, and I pushed the alioune loop to around 680k meterless. There isn't really any point to it, so I'll stick to the 550k version that's more reliable with more followup options. I'm satisfied with all my combos and resets, all I really need to work on is evening out some Strider tech and having more solid matchup gameplans. I don't feel like my team has any serious weaknesses at this point.

Anyway, this is my last post on gaf. Maybe I'll start posting again during the next round of fighting games, especially Persona 4 Ultimate. I have my doubts on whether I'll get back into the Soul Calibur tournament scene again, even if it's the game I'm best at. The new mechanics interest me, but it's still too slow. And it's not really the sort of game worth posting over. SFxT doesn't really interest me until Twelve gets announced. Even less if tournaments have restrictions on gems. If my schedule eases up, you might see me at SouthTown Arcade ranbats or SoCal Regionals as BAI.

Later.
Wait, why are you leaving us? WHY NOW? WHY SO SOON? ;_;

In any case, Godspeed, God's Beard. You will always be a MahvelGAF OG. snakesalute.jpg

kirblar

The only things that really bother me about Wesker is how much damage he does, and that he gets a permanent bonus for having the glasses off. It was explained by S-Kill that his glasses would break over time, and Phantom Dance would fix the glasses. In that sense, it was actually a pretty neat buff. Wesker players have to think (gasp) about whether they want to finish a character and lose their buff, or try for a reset and keep it. For some reason, it was never implemented how Seth made it out to be.

The damage issue is pretty big. Firebrand works his butt off for 600K. That's about as high as he can get from 1 meter, and he just barely builds a bar. I'm fine with this, and I'm even fine with him doing less. What I'm not cool with is so many characters having 1-hit kills. Why do we have resets?

I need to reset my opponents maybe 1 out of 10 matches with Dormammu, and I'm not even using his 900K 1 meter bnb. If I were, I'd have to reset people even less. Resets are just generally superfluous unless your character does weak damage. That should not be the standard, though. EVERY character should require a reset to kill a character unless they're burning 3+ bars of meter. "Reset" characters should be distinguished by having to do this one more time, but having an easier time doing it.

Chris G dropped Firebrand for Wesker for one simple reason, and it's the same reason everyone used Wolverine in Vanilla: why work hard when you don't have to? Why use a character that needs 2 resets to kill a heavy when you can just do it all on the first hit? Outside of loving the character, there is no reason.

Enjoy life, GB.
Part of the problem with the 1-hit kills is that so few high-HP characters are viable. The "Average" health in the game is supposed to be 1000K, where Ryu's at- but in reality the average health of the viable characters puts most of them down in that 1-hittable range.

Nert

I don't necessarily think that Wesker is "overpowered," but it's really a drag seeing him on 90+% of teams that I face online and over half of the teams that I see when I'm stream monstering. I mean, even when Wolverine and Phoenix were the best characters in the game, I only came across them occasionally : /

But whatever, I'm still having a great time with the game, and I'm really enjoying the Viewtiful Joe buffs. His j.S is amazing!

smurfx

get some go again
all i have to say is fuck you capcom for nerfing taskmaster and buffing wesker. remove 100k from taskmasters life but leave him the same otherwise. -_-

kirblar

I don't necessarily think that Wesker is "overpowered," but it's really a drag seeing him on 90+% of teams that I face online and over half of the teams that I see when I'm stream monstering. I mean, even when Wolverine and Phoenix were the best characters in the game, I only came across them occasionally : /

But whatever, I'm still having a great time with the game, and I'm really enjoying the Viewtiful Joe buffs. His j.S is amazing!
I wonder if they thought the execution requirements on Wesker were higher than they actually are due to the unique nature of his teleports.

The problem with Wesker is that while they could just hack his life, like with Sentinel, I don't feel like that actually solves the problem- Sentinel is relatively predictable and simply had a really screwed up risk/reward ratio with his HP. With Wesker the damage IS the problem.

People are completely over reacting to Wesker.

You guys should be complaining about Zero and how bull shit something like Raikousen -> Buster -> Raikousen is. Dude makes Wesker's mix ups look fair in comparison.

"Oh hey guys let me hit you with a 3/4th screen cross up move that even I don't know if it will cross up or not"

"So you blocked my bull shit cross up move... let me release a button so I can catch your button as you foolishly try to punish me"

"Oh you didn't press a button? Well now eat ANOTHER bull shit cross up that even I don't know if it will cross up or not"

And in any of this phase he can go into a combo. People not complaining about something like this probably haven't experienced this enough to comment and are too busy getting bodied by scrub Weskers/Vergils.
I'm probably biased, but Zero bothers me less because I can zone him. If Zero blocks a Purification, I cancel into Stalking Flare. Do you know what Zero can do to me? He can eat 200K chip damage, that's what. If he wants to blow his level 3, that's fine. I'll X-Factor, and then make him eat Chaotic Flame and Stalking Flare without either being blocked, and the little pecker will die. If he wants to blow X-Factor, that's just dandy. He gets to sit there while I throw another 4 Flares at him.

If Wesker blocks a Purification, and I cancel into Stalking Flare, do you know what he does? He superjumps, shoots a bullet, Dormammu goes "ow", and bye-bye Stalking Flare.

Wesker isn't even my #1 gripe. Dante is far, far worse. I can generally handle Wesker because his air game isn't so great, so I'll stay in the air and charge 2D1C over and over until I get him with one, which isn't too hard since Wesker players have never had to learn the value of blocking thanks to their gunshot getting him in for free and all of his normals covering half the screen.

But Dante? Fuck Dante and his ridiculous 3/4ths screen range, teleport with invincibility frames that goes into j.H for combos anyway to avoid air throws, faster Air Play, and blockstrings that cause huge chip damage and frame advantage. I don't even want to hear shit about how "Dante was nerfed".

And as much as he irritates me, I refuse to complain about Vergil until I actually understand what is going on when I play against him. I retain absolute loathing for anyone who uses the 3 trench coats in this game though, and I think the game would be better off without them.

Characters well-balanced with regard to them possessing a teleport:
Dr. Strange, Strider, Dormammu, Phoenix, Deadpool

Characters poorly balanced with regard to them possessing a teleport:
Wesker, Dante, Vergil

Dahbomb

all i have to say is fuck you capcom for nerfing taskmaster and buffing wesker. remove 100k from taskmasters life but leave him the same otherwise. -_-
Bull shit, Taskmaster is still beastly. Can combo off of all throws with an assist, sword pierce special buff is very nice and arrow web swing cancel is hella nice which actually buffs up his mix up game with assists.

And I would take the old Wesker over the new Wesker any time of the day. At least I could play the Zero vs Wesker match up before.

Wat? They didn't nerf Taskmaster all that much, and to be quite frank, one of his most glaring weaknesses (i.e. Web Swing being ridiculously easy to punish) has been pretty much removed, now that he can cancel the Swing.

Taskmaster still is a beast, he still is one of the best characters, no doubt about that. He just doesn't hit as hard anymore, but everyone is suffering from damage scaling.

Dahbomb

I retain absolute loathing for anyone who uses the 3 trench coats in this game though, and I think the game would be better off without them.
Why? The team has amazing synergy and you can play those characters in any order you want (except Dante on anchor). In fact that team has better synergy than most other teams I have seen in this game.

And zoning is so strong in this game that you are forced to play a teleporter character or a zoning character. The game might as well be called "Ultimate Zoners vs Teleporters 3: Fate of 3 Trenchcoats"

My team of Vergil/Blah/Blah is good and all but I have gotten SO MANY wins with a bull shit team of Ghost Rider/Hawkeye/Sentinel. It's such a brain dead zoning team and I swear if I ever go online this is the only team I will use.

Later.
Bye
Irregardless of what I feel about Wesker in terms of how he stacks up with other characters... that shit is just dumb.
This is quite literally 99% of my problem with him. That glasses buff was dumb as fuck the moment I saw how it worked and there is no excuse. His bullet is still a solid zoning tool even without the easy one button teleport followup in MvC3(into an offensive position or a defensive position) and he is still one of the hardest characters to punish with a beefy 1 million health. The latter two things leave him in a solid position for UMvC3 and the air dash nerf only buffed him as a teleporter and zoner.

unnecessary buff

Edit: You didn't know that the buff worked that way before the game came out? No wonder people thought I was some sort of madman when I complained about it LOL.

XBL / PSN / (GAFname)
Kadey1up Kadey1up
LeGiard N/A (Giard)
N/A Dragon17013 (Degen)
Chocopolka N/A (Ken)
NAFLA (Nils)
N/A JeTmAn81 (JeTmAn81)
N/A Reigun16 (ReiGun)
arvinater N/A (enzo_gt)
N/A Bogue2kw (BY2K)
smurfxzilla N/A (smurfx)
doc wily N/A (galvatron)
N/A TheMadnessBeast (devastatorprime)

Dahbomb

No you are not because you don't have a top assist to harass the opponent with or bolster your offense.

Something like Viper/Dante/Strider is an on paper top team.

smurfx

get some go again
I use Wesker and Zero. So on paper I'm like the best player on gaf.
on paper. :p striders teleport dive kick assist is so damn overpowered. its such a great counter to characters that like to zone you out from the sky like doom/trish/storm. i like it so much i'm thinking of learning him just enough so i can use him against certain match ups.

No you are not because you don't have a top assist to harass the opponent with or bolster your offense.

Something like Viper/Dante/Strider is an on paper top team.

naw dog i switched to doom assist

If we continue along with these assumptions, we can also see why people are saying Wesker is bullshit: because the majority of the rest of the cast did not receive substantial enough buffs to also be comparable. The fact that we can, even now, discern Zero and Wesker and Doom as being ahead of the curve is a testament to the discrepancy in balancing.

Enzo agrees that with my team I am the best player on gaf

Why? The team has amazing synergy and you can play those characters in any order you want (except Dante on anchor). In fact that team has better synergy than most other teams I have seen in this game.
Why? Because I hate the existence of all three characters in this game, that's why. Characters should have UNSAFE SHIT. I can't even breathe with Dormammu without having to make life or death decisions. Every goddamn moment with Dormammu is a second I could push a button a little too early or a little too late, or guess wrong, and die. And I'm fine with that - that's what fighting games should be about. Not bullshit where every fucking thing a character does is safe, and hell, let's have the character not just be safe, but get frame advantage and mixups off their safe stuff, and why not chip damage too?! YIPPEE for having a trench coat!

The team has good synergy because all three of them have universally useful assists. A low hitting OTG helps every team. Name me ONE fucking team that doesn't want either Weasel Shot or Jam Session on it. That's not goddamn team synergy, that's already really amazing point characters getting some of the fucking best assists in the game. Vergil's assists don't seem too crazy, but feel free to prove me wrong on that one.

And zoning is so strong in this game that you are forced to play a teleporter character or a zoning character. The game might as well be called "Ultimate Zoners vs Teleporters 3: Fate of 3 Trenchcoats"
Hahaha, no. Zoning in this game is really, really hard. It's a ton of work for meager showings. Every blocked Purification is a whopping 40K damage my opponent takes. I cannot tell you how many matches I have zoned perfectly with Dormammu for 40 seconds to get two of my opponent's characters down below 30% life, and then I make one mistake, eat a 800K combo that kills Dormammu (y'know, I've taken some chip damage here and there), and then on my next character, I get hit - X-Factor - dead.

The only zoning in this game that seems crazy thus far is Hawkeye. Even playing Firebrand with no assists, I've gotten in on zoners every time. It just takes patience and an awareness of when a zoning character has openings and has to take risks. Zoning still has not won a UMvC3 tournament, and I doubt it ever will. Honzo_Gonzo got close, but he only got close because F. Champ was running a team with no projectile support, AKA a poorly composed team. If you don't have ANY way to get in on zoning, that's your own fault - no one should run something like Haggar/She-Hulk/Chun-li and expect to do well. That's just now how a Marvel game works.

My team of Vergil/Blah/Blah is good and all but I have gotten SO MANY wins with a bull shit team of Ghost Rider/Hawkeye/Sentinel. It's such a brain dead zoning team and I swear if I ever go online this is the only team I will use.
I still haven't even lost a character to a Ghost Rider player. He's completely free to my Dormammu team. No answer to Stalking Flare, and no strong anti-airs, so I can charge Dark Spells at superjump height all day if I want to, and then bring down the meteors. I'll hold my breath for Ghost Rider doing well. He's like Sentinel - you just need some patience.

on paper. :p striders teleport dive kick assist is so damn overpowered. its such a great counter to characters that like to zone you out from the sky like doom/trish/storm. i like it so much i'm thinking of learning him just enough so i can use him against certain match ups.
Vajra is a BS assist. Where is my Purification tracking Capcom?! It wouldn't be half as good as that assist still! I won't even bother playing Trish because of it, and it makes Firebrand's life hell.

Dahbomb

There is no discussion about Dark Phoenix here. What do our resident Phoenix-GAF players say about her?

I still haven't even lost a character to a Ghost Rider player. He's completely free to my Dormammu team. No answer to Stalking Flare, and no strong anti-airs, so I can charge Dark Spells at superjump height all day if I want to, and then bring down the meteors. I'll hold my breath for Ghost Rider doing well. He's like Sentinel - you just need some patience.
That's why I have Hawkeye on that team for the different match ups. Ghost Rider is insane for any character who isn't a teleporter and needs to get in... Hawkeye is insane for any character that likes to keep away. I like the Hawkeye vs Dormammu match up.

Ghost Rider is pure counter pick tier in this game. Some characters he bodies so hard like Wolverine while others he is very free to.

Why? Because I hate the existence of all three characters in this game, that's why. Characters should have UNSAFE SHIT. I can't even breathe with Dormammu without having to make life or death decisions. Every goddamn moment with Dormammu is a second I could push a button a little too early or a little too late, or guess wrong, and die. And I'm fine with that - that's what fighting games should be about. Not bullshit where every fucking thing a character does is safe, and hell, let's have the character not just be safe, but get frame advantage and mixups off their safe stuff, and why not chip damage too?! YIPPEE for having a trench coat!
The salt is clouding your judgment.

Vergil is one of the most unsafe characters in the game. His st.H and Stinger are like -30 on block and his teleports are like -36 on recovery. VERGIL CANNOT WHIFF CANCEL HIS GROUND NORMALS! You can complain about Dante all you want in terms of having safe pressure/chip but don't lump Vergil into that category as well. He is way more fair than people think he is on point. He has no good overheads meaning his high/low mix up is non-existent and he can't right/left you without an assist. If you want some anti-Vergil tech I will gladly help. If you have trouble against a good anchor Vergil then I don't think I can help you with that, I would say Vergil is pretty free to XFC in the later stage of the match.

The only zoning in this game that seems crazy thus far is Hawkeye
It's not just crazy... it's EASY. Same for Ghost Rider against particular characters. These two on the same team are insane, like they cover each other so well. Add in an annoying as hell assist like Drones and this team shuts down anything less than tracking teleports and even then I have Gimlet for that shit. Also Vajra assist makes zoning even easier as Ghost Rider can cover his bad match ups with that assist.

The team has good synergy because all three of them have universally useful assists. A low hitting OTG helps every team. Name me ONE fucking team that doesn't want either Weasel Shot or Jam Session on it. That's not goddamn team synergy, that's already really amazing point characters getting some of the fucking best assists in the game. Vergil's assists don't seem too crazy, but feel free to prove me wrong on that one.
That is some salt. Rapid Slash is particularly good for teleporters and it's especially great for Wesker/Dante. That's all I will say, I have other points on the synergy on that team but I don't think you care.

Adding to the list

XBL / PSN / (GAFname)
Kadey1up Kadey1up
LeGiard N/A (Giard)
N/A Dragon17013 (Degen)
Chocopolka N/A (Ken)
NAFLA (Nils)
N/A JeTmAn81 (JeTmAn81)
N/A Reigun16 (ReiGun)
arvinater N/A (enzo_gt)
N/A Bogue2kw (BY2K)
smurfxzilla N/A (smurfx)
doc wily N/A (galvatron)
CoolGuy4Life CoolGuy4life (ThatCrazyGuy)

GGs on the live stream tonight guys.

I hate Hawkeye :)

There is no discussion about Dark Phoenix here. What do our resident Phoenix-GAF players say about her?
Dark Phoenix has serious problems with the new cast. She's a monster conceptually, but F. Champ failing to even kill 2 characters with her in XF3 tonight demonstrates how many problems she has now. Plus, with normal Phoenix being a complete liability now, the risk of side TACs giving your opponent free down TACS, and meter building in general being nerfed, I'm not seeing how she could stick around. Too much in the game was changed just to fuck her over.

Again, Dark Phoenix is still a monster. But, the poor girl can't even JAB against Dr. Strange, Hawkeye's Gimli destroys her, Strider can borderline guarantee a kill on her, Firebrand much the same...

I honestly feel as though Vanilla Phoenix/Dark Phoenix would have been fine if:
1) X-Factor did not remove the health drain.
2) Fireball H had a slightly longer startup time.
3) X-Factor did not boost the chip damage on her normals.

Again, she was a monster. She deserved to be a monster for all it took her to get there, though.

I never thought I would see XF3 Phoenix actually cowering for most of the duration on her XF3 until tonight. Shameful.

Dark Phoenix has serious problems with the new cast. She's a monster conceptually, but F. Champ failing to even kill 2 characters with her in XF3 tonight demonstrates how many problems she has now. Plus, with normal Phoenix being a complete liability now, the risk of side TACs giving your opponent free down TACS, and meter building in general being nerfed, I'm not seeing how she could stick around. Too much in the game was changed just to fuck her over.

Again, Dark Phoenix is still a monster. But, the poor girl can't even JAB against Dr. Strange, Hawkeye's Gimli destroys her, Strider can borderline guarantee a kill on her, Firebrand much the same...

indeed. I haven't tried all of them, but Strange is pretty free vs. Phoenix. Dat Vashanti magic eats the usual Phoenix spam for breakfast.

Adding to the list

XBL / PSN / (GAFname)
Kadey1up Kadey1up
LeGiard N/A (Giard)
N/A Dragon17013 (Degen)
Chocopolka N/A (Ken)
NAFLA (Nils)
N/A JeTmAn81 (JeTmAn81)
N/A Reigun16 (ReiGun)
arvinater N/A (enzo_gt)
N/A Bogue2kw (BY2K)
smurfxzilla N/A (smurfx)
doc wily N/A (galvatron)
CoolGuy4Life Coolyguy4life (ThatCrazyGuy)
Heavenly Hammer / Heavenly-Hammer / (Dreams-Visions)

MEET ME SOMEWHERE.

Karsticles is in a real mood tonight lol.
Hahaha, no. Zoning in this game is really, really hard. It's a ton of work for meager showings. Every blocked Purification is a whopping 40K damage my opponent takes. I cannot tell you how many matches I have zoned perfectly with Dormammu for 40 seconds to get two of my opponent's characters down below 30% life, and then I make one mistake, eat a 800K combo that kills Dormammu (y'know, I've taken some chip damage here and there), and then on my next character, I get hit - X-Factor - dead.
This is the very definition of how a zoner lives and dies.

how about strider and vajra? i was using him just to get to your doom and it worked. :p

Task/Hawk/Strider is my worst nightmare for Sentinel right now. By big robot ass can barely move against this team, lol.

I went on ranked after the lobby as well. I see alot of Task/Hawk teams. I think I might have to swap in Strider in for Haggar on some matchups, hehe. That assist is sweet.

smurfx

get some go again
zoning is better in this game but its not as godly as they made it out to be before release. its nice that zoning got buffed up but capcom never buffs something up without introducing a whole bunch of other bullshit into the game.

Task/Hawk/Strider is my worst nightmare for Sentinel right now. By big robot ass can barely move against this team, lol.

I went on ranked after the lobby as well. I see alot of Task/Hawk teams. I think I might have to swap in Strider in for Haggar on some matchups, hehe. That assist is sweet.
task/hawk/strider may very well be one of the teams i run. i'm going to try and learn doom as well for his beam assist and his general buffed up game. plus i really like his zoning style.

Dahbomb

You can add Vergil to one of those characters who bodies Dark Phoenix. The cowering factor against Dark Vergil with Crown Swords is absolutely hilarious. No one has actually invested in Vergil anchor yet so you probably won't see it anytime soon and Phoenix isn't much of a factor to keep that ace up your sleeve IMO.

My opinion on Phoenix is that if you are saving up that much meter for her... better save it for other anchors in the game who are extremely powerful without being a burden on your team.

its nice that zoning got buffed up but capcom never buffs something up without introducing a whole bunch of other bullshit into the game.
Yeah they added Gimlet, SoV, Heartless Spire and Vajra. Oh and Raikousen Buster cancel.

I wouldn't be salty over Zero if his Raikousen didn't persist like that after a cancel. It almost looks like a glitch with the double lightning BS.

Rawr.

Absolutely, and I appreciate that. What I don't appreciate is someone who uses a fucking teleporter telling me that zoning has it good in this game. Dormammu's Purification and Dark Hole startup decreases got removed, you know. His zoning isn't any better in Ultimate than it was in Vanilla. He's still much better, don't get me wrong, but it's because of his rushdown buffs and being able to do Dark Spells in the air.

Actually, a lot of good buffs/nerfs I was looking forward to in this game got removed before release. It's mad disappointing.

The whole idea of there being a zoning/rushdown divide and that zoners shouldn't get in and do stuff is quite ridiculous anyway. Dieminion was pwning everyone exactly because he knows when to switch between laming it out and getting in when laming wouldn't work.

Also, I'm a bit bitter about some really basic and poor design decisions that were made with Firebrand. Some of this shit was clearly just not thought out very well. I won't rant unless requested, though.

The whole idea of there being a zoning/rushdown divide and that zoners shouldn't get in and do stuff is quite ridiculous anyway. Dieminion was pwning everyone exactly because he knows when to switch between laming it out and getting in when laming wouldn't work.
I appreciate that this game has pure rushdown (Wolverine), hybrids (most of the cast), and pure zoning (Sentinel, Arthur). In general, the cast is really, really well balanced.

I have no clue why Dieminion cancels RHK H into Six Cannon every time, though. He has two superior options...!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom